Ruger 22LR (Mark 1?) Failure to Feed - What went wrong?

PDA

DefiantDad
July 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
At the range practicing today, the Ruger 22LR I rented (older model, probably older than Mark III) had one Failure to Feed. I racked the slide, it refused to go forward.

I took out the magazine and the bullet of the top round had a dent in it, across. I checked that it was seated properly and put the magazine back in, and racked the slide again, and again the slide refused to close.

So I basically just took out that top round and then everything was fine afterwards.

So my question is, as a newbie, what happened to that round and why is there a dent? (A line across the bullet).

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 22LR (Mark 1?) Failure to Feed - What went wrong?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
greyling22
July 19, 2012, 12:19 AM
I had a ruger pistol (pre mark 1) that had some slightly bent feed lips on the magazine when I bought it. it caused some misfeeding. I fixed it with a leatherman.

My first guess is that the feed lips allowed the cartridge nose to rise up too high and it missed the chamber and got pinched by the closing bolt. But that is just a guess. Was is a hollow point?

DefiantDad
July 19, 2012, 12:26 AM
Hmmm. Good question. I didn't really think about that because I just rented it and bought a box of 100. I believe it WAS hollow point. I recall seeing a little hole at the front. Made by CCI.

The M
July 19, 2012, 01:00 AM
I've had this happen with my old Mark 1 and my Walther PP. It appears to be weak mag springs which don't hold up the nose of the cartridge at the proper angle. The nosediving bullet is then forced into the bottom of the feed ramp, denting the bullet.

DefiantDad
July 19, 2012, 01:07 AM
Is this likely to happen to larger calibers or mostly just the 22LR with everything being smaller and lower spring pressures, etc?

ShadowsEye
July 19, 2012, 01:16 AM
Is this likely to happen to larger calibers or mostly just the 22LR with everything being smaller and lower spring pressures, etc?
No pistol or ammunition is 100% guaranteed reliable, no not even revolvers. That being said .22 LR is the most picky and least reliable of the bunch and it's generally not considered to be a self defense round.

The 22 you happened to rent was last made in 1981, not sure how many thousands of rounds the pistol or the magazine had, but 1 failure (of any kind) out of 100 rounds is not that bad.

That being said, I have 9mm pistols that have had zero malfunctions in over 1000 rounds.

Drail
July 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
Most rental guns are maintained extremely poorly. .22 pistols get LOTS of carbon crud packed into them. Rimfire ammo is awfully dirty. You are lucky if you get one that is 90% reliable. I have been shooting MK IIs for twenty years (currently own three)and they are very good pistols. But you gotta clean them if you want to shoot them. MK II magazines get really dirty too and you have to clean them. Amazingly they work pretty well even if you don't maintain them.

DefiantDad
July 19, 2012, 02:27 AM
Good points all. The range even told me they hardly clean the guns. At least they are honest! Haha.

murf
July 19, 2012, 02:37 AM
the round probably got bent some how. the 22lr is a heeled bullet with very little bullet inside the case. it is fairly easy to bend the cartridge right where the case and bullet meet.

a bent cartridge won't feed correctly in any semi-auto.

murf

ku4hx
July 19, 2012, 07:43 AM
This fixed my problem and several other's problems I know of.
http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/stovepipe.htm

Carl N. Brown
July 19, 2012, 08:29 AM
If you are not having problems with your magazines, do not make the modifications to yours just because some one else benefited from modifying theirs.

Most problems I have had with semi-auto firearms were magazine related. Replacing the magazine is relatively cheap. Modifying a bad magazine (worn, bent, etc) to match a good magazine that works is cheaper.

what works with one design may not work with a different design.

With some designs (the AR-7 fer instance) spreading the feed lips will cause feed problems; controlled feed in the AR-7 requires that the cartridge be pinched between the forward part of the feed lips and the newer AR-7 magazines have a wire spring added to serve the purpose of maintaining control as the cartridge feeds from the magazine.

DefiantDad
July 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
I practiced at the range again today.

The 22LR had failure to feed again and one stovepipe. But when it was shooting good, it was real easy to get the bullets to go where you want them.

Shot 50 rounds out of a Sig 226 today for the first time. Pretty good gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 22LR (Mark 1?) Failure to Feed - What went wrong?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!