Tokarev TT-33 any good?

PDA

catinthebat
July 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
I am thinking about picking one up in a couple months.
I just plan on taking it to the range now and then. Are they any good, do they have any issues I am unaware of?
Also, how common is this 7.62x25 ammo?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tokarev TT-33 any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
July 19, 2012, 08:58 PM
Also, how common is this 7.62x25 ammo?

The cheap corrosive surplus seems mostly gone for the time being, but commercial non-corrosive reloadable brass is available for $16-20 a box of 50.

TT-33 is a lot of fun to shoot but the ergonomics are poor by today's standards.

I stocked up in the cheap surplus ammo and usually run 200-400 rounds a month though mine.

Keeterbird
July 20, 2012, 07:33 AM
The tok was a strange feel, but 2,000 rounds later I have gotten used to it. The real problem that I had was the added safety. I had a Romanian. It became a problem getting caught and requiring much frustration freeing it. It seemed so simple but...

By the way, all of my rounds have been the surplus one. I'm down to my last can of surplus.

Clean it right away, and the corrosive doesn't matter.

Nushif
July 20, 2012, 07:36 AM
I have the Chinese 9mm version and love mine. Thinner than a 1911, good SA trigger, cheap ammo (Go, 9x19!) and once you remove the external safety and restore it to the way it was built the "ergonomics" are actually pretty good.

Just because a grip angle or manual of arms is different does't mean it's always bad. The grip angle reduces a lot of muzzle flip during rapid fire for me.

firesky101
July 20, 2012, 02:38 PM
I love mine, got a 9 mm barrel for it and reamed it out to 9x23 just because I wanted one.

WardenWolf
July 20, 2012, 02:49 PM
If you don't like the ergonomics, you can get a new set of grips from Marschal Grips (www.marschalgrips.com) that will fix it up nicely.

I did exactly what this guy did to mine, with similar results:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=424425

They're a fun gun with a very powerful round.

Snowdog
July 20, 2012, 04:02 PM
I have a couple M57 that I'm quite pleased with. I even enjoy the properly placed safety as is works perfectly on both and aren't in the way.

Ammunition availability for milsurp is spotty. Bulgarian cans of 880 crop up every so often, but the prices aren't what they used to be.
Within a month of purchasing my 2nd M57, I purchased a sizable amount of 7.62x25 surplus of Polish, Yugoslavian and Romanian manufactures "just in case".

Well, that "just in case" scenario happened just a couple weeks after, with the Yugoslavian and Romanian ammo nowhere to be found and those $90 tins of Polish ammunition doubling and nearly tripling in price.

The good news is there are plenty of places where one can purchase recently manufactured, boxer-primed (and non corrosive) ammunition that can be reloaded should one be bitten by the bug. Prices run in the same ballpark as .45acp hardball.

The TT33 (and variants such as the M57) are great fun.

el indio
July 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
i have a norinco 7.62x25. i have an old reloading manual that lists the tokarev and 7.63 mauser are the same. the tokarev ammo was designed after the russians stole the design from the germans. the pistol was also designed to compare to the 1911 colt. that's about as far as my research has gone. check the velocity and energy on both rounds.

GBExpat
July 20, 2012, 05:05 PM
i have an old reloading manual that lists the tokarev and 7.63 mauser are the same.

Not the same ... very close, dimensionally, but the loadings are different. If you fire 7.62Tok ammo in a 7.63Mauser Broomhandle, for example, you have a good chance of damaging the pistol.

I have three Soviet TT-33s plus quite a few Variants. I really like the pistol(s) and have found them to be flat, concealable, comfortable, accurate, reliable and easy to take care for.

I stockpiled ammo years ago when it was cheap so, thankfully, I do not have to source that these days. :)

WardenWolf
July 20, 2012, 08:10 PM
Not the same ... very close, dimensionally, but the loadings are different. If you fire 7.62Tok ammo in a 7.63Mauser Broomhandle, for example, you have a good chance of damaging the pistol.

I have three Soviet TT-33s plus quite a few Variants. I really like the pistol(s) and have found them to be flat, concealable, comfortable, accurate, reliable and easy to take care for.

I stockpiled ammo years ago when it was cheap so, thankfully, I do not have to source that these days. :)
+1. We have someone on this forum who also says they're the same . And who is also apparently using this old loading manual, and putting Tokarev ammo in his C96! :barf: It's pretty common knowledge that the Tokarev round is loaded hotter. If someone tries to tell you they are the same, run, don't walk from any reloading advice they give.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tokarev TT-33 any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!