Pocket Police 6 1/2"

PDA

StrawHat
July 20, 2012, 12:59 PM
I just got this from Foto Joe. The longer barrel gives it a bit better balance thean the 5 1/2" one I already have. At some point, I will be fitting it with American Ivory grips or maybe holly grips. Not yet had it to the range but soon enough.

BT code dates it to 2003 so not an old gun but still a beauty. Something about the Pocket Police I really like. Grace, charm, beauty and balance, what's not to like.

Thanks Joe!

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket Police 6 1/2"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim, West PA
July 20, 2012, 03:19 PM
Sweet smoke wagon StrawHat.
First one i've ever seen,or should i say noticed, with a fluted cylinder.
I think i like the look :)

72coupe
July 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
I really like mine. I would like to have it on me all the time.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/FLOOD015.jpg

mykeal
July 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
I thought they (pocket Police) all had fluted cylinders, while the pocket Navy did not.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/mykealsm/Guns/Colt%201862%20Police/0122.jpg

72coupe
July 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
Mine really needs that groove for the caps. I have to load mine under the hammer.

hang fire
July 20, 2012, 07:11 PM
I had an Uberti back in late 70's, with a full load the little guy kicked like a demonic mule. Our oldest daughter was very accurate with it, so gave to her, she still has it but never shot it again.

StrawHat
July 21, 2012, 07:34 AM
I think i like the look :)
To the best of my knowledge, all the Pocket Police revolvers had the half flutes. The Pocket Navies came with octagon barrels and engraved cylinders.

StrawHat
July 21, 2012, 07:35 AM
Paired up with my 5 1/2" Pocket Police.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Colt%20clones/PocketPolicePair001.jpg

Berkley
July 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
Possibly the sleekest looking of any of Sam Colt's original designs.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2lf8y.jpg

72coupe
July 21, 2012, 03:49 PM
I will have to admit that recoil with 20 grains of 777 and a Hornady ball is surprising.

StrawHat
July 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
The Pocket 36s are the only Colt 36s with recoil! A hoot to shoot!

Foto Joe
July 21, 2012, 11:39 PM
Well....have ya gone out and gotten the purdy little thing dirty yet?

PRM
July 22, 2012, 12:31 AM
My all time favorite BP Colt. One of my first C&B Revolvers was a Uberti Pocket Police (late 70s), my son still owns and shoots it. In the mid-80s, I replaced it with a Colt 2nd Generation. It's traveled with me many a mile and seen a pound or two of lead sent down range. It's even brought a few rabbits home for supper, and killed one coy-dog. I had the barrel shortened (personal preference) to 4.5 inches and a Model 60 style front sight fitted to it. Jerry Meacham made the pre-ban elephant ivory grips.

If I could only own one handgun, I'd be hard pressed not to pick my 1862.

StrawHat
July 23, 2012, 07:36 AM
...and a Model 60 style front sight fitted to it...

Nice looking revolver. I particularly like the front sight. I usually inlet a dovetail and install a small rifle sight for a muzzleloader, but the one you have used will merit some consideration.

StrawHat
July 23, 2012, 07:38 AM
Well....have ya gone out and gotten the purdy little thing dirty yet?
Not yet Joe, all things in their time. Probably not until the fall but may get it out sooner. It sure is good looking, sorry you had to let it go but glad it went my way.

Pancho
July 24, 2012, 10:45 AM
If the loading lever hasn't been restaked it probably will fall out so don't do what I did and fire the gun over tall grass and lose it. Cost me about $10 to replace it.

StrawHat
July 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
The lever catch is tight. I check all of mine since I dropped one from a Second Dragoon about 40 years ago.

PRM
September 22, 2012, 10:46 PM
Nice looking revolver. I particularly like the front sight. I usually inlet a dovetail and install a small rifle sight for a muzzleloader, but the one you have used will merit some consideration. - Strawhat

Jamey Andrews, Gunsmith for Dixie Gun Works, shortened the barrel and put the sight on it. He does great work and builds custom Muzzle Loaders in his spare time. One of the best gunsmiths for C&Bs. He is the guy that looks at all their guns that need issues addresed.

It was an 1860 sight cut down to scale for the Pocket Police.

Jim, West PA
September 23, 2012, 12:19 AM
I thought they (pocket Police) all had fluted cylinders, while the pocket Navy did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim, West PA
I think i like the look

To the best of my knowledge, all the Pocket Police revolvers had the half flutes. The Pocket Navies came with octagon barrels and engraved cylinders.

Well now.Jist goes to show my ignernece twixt a navy and Pocket Police.
I see a pic of an open top and right away think of a Navy all the while not knowin nothin about the PP's.
I jist needs to keep my mouth shut unless i know what i'm talkin about.
Then on the other hand. My ignernece now has taught me what a Pocket Police is in such a way that i'll always reconize one now.:D
Thanx Fellas.;)

Busyhands94
September 23, 2012, 12:33 AM
I'm kinda hankerin' for one of these little guns! What are the accuracy and ballistics like?

PRM
September 23, 2012, 05:28 PM
Accuracy is pretty much like any Colt or Colt Clone C&B. Mine shoots about 4 inches high at 15 yards. You can modify the hammer or put a higher front sight on it. I've just learned to compensate over the years.

Ballistics - GOEX tables are included below. 15 Grains of FFF is rated at 640 FPS. I use 17 grains of FFF in mine. Remington .38 S&W cartridges are rated at 685 FPS if that helps.

http://www.goexpowder.com/load-chart.html

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/ballistics.aspx

gunner69
September 23, 2012, 11:49 PM
I know those pistols were never offered in a 6 shot version, but EMF markets a Pietta 1862 Manhattan Pistol that holds 6ea .36 caliber balls and really looks sweet! Trouble is they are sold out and should be restocked in October. I like those Ivory grips you guys have too. Got a source for them? :D

BHP FAN
September 24, 2012, 01:52 AM
Cabela's has an ''1862 Police'' that's really a '61 Navy.It's a six shot Pietta built on a Navy frame, rather than the more historically correct Uberti, which is built [as were the originals] on a 1849 pocket pistol sized frame, and so, are a five shooter.

StrawHat
September 24, 2012, 08:02 AM
Handling these Pocket Models is a little different from the Belt Models for me. The grips tend to be swallowed up in my hand and for once, I actually feel recoil from the little revolvers! They are nice and compact, stow easily and carry a decent amount of powder.

PRM
September 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
Jerry Meacham, Charlotte, NC., did my ivory. He specializes in pre-ban elephant ivory and is one of the best grip makers around.

PH 704 485 3374

They are not cheap - but considering how long you will own a gun, cost becomes secondary. I've had polymer ivory and the real thing. From owning both, they are worlds apart. I've never regretted saving and spending the money to outfit my Colts with ivory.

gunner69
September 26, 2012, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the information on the grips.

StrawHat
September 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
The grips on my 5 1/2"revoler are not elephant ivory but are what I call American ivory, just elk stag with no bark. I made them from a shed anler I picked up when working in Arizona. I have them on several of my revovlers and plan to add them to several more. I like the look and the cost. Not quite as heavy as elephant, yet easier to obtain.

Jim, West PA
September 26, 2012, 12:02 PM
The grips on my 5 1/2"revoler are not elephant ivory but are what I call American ivory, just elk stag with no bark. I made them from a shed anler I picked up when working in Arizona. I have them on several of my revovlers and plan to add them to several more. I like the look and the cost. Not quite as heavy as elephant, yet easier to obtain.

Did you have to do anything to 'prep' the antler or just work it like a piece of wood ?
I've got a set of 2 y/o moose antler i'm thinkin 'bout cuttin up for grips 'nsuch.

StrawHat
September 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
I let mine sit for a year or so befofre I started cutting them. I then amde patterns so I would not make mistakes cutting the antler. Once I found a piece large enough to cut, I sectioned it from the antler and split it so I could add a spacer to it. I do not make true "one piece" grips but three pieces fused into one. Using my patterns I cut each panel to fit the frame and then glue my spacer to one side. I work the spacer down to match the thickness of my frame and then glue the second slab to the spacer using the revolver as a jig to hold the pieces in proper alignment. Once everything is glued and set, I start on final shaping and removing the bark.

StrawHat
January 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
Another one showed up!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Colt%20clones/36caliber015_zps61011c13.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Colt%20clones/36caliber014_zpsa81f871e.jpg

Together,

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Colt%20clones/36caliber016_zps1b5ac6da.jpg

72coupe
January 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
Strawhat why does the case hardening look so much better on one than the other?
The second one looks more like mine.

dickydalton
January 22, 2013, 08:19 PM
Straw Hat, is the grip a little bit smaller on one of those or is it just the picture?
I ask because my Uberti Pocket Police has a smaller grip than my Colt Pocket Navy.

Jaymo
January 23, 2013, 12:22 AM
I would post the pic of my 4.5" Pocket Popo, but Photobucket just took a dump on me.

I love the pocket popo. One of Colt's prettiest C&B revolvers.

I need to get a holster for mine.

StrawHat
January 23, 2013, 11:34 AM
72coupe, the case coloring on the one is just a beautiful grey wash with some faded colors. The other has bolder colors.

dickydalton, to my hand, the grips on all of my Uberti Pocket Police and Pocket Navies is at least simialr if not the same size. If you have an original Colts product, it may indeed be different size. The grips were individually fit to each revolver so small variations occur.

StrawHat
January 23, 2013, 11:35 AM
Strawhat why does the case hardening look so much better on one than the other?
The second one looks more like mine.
All the more reason to sell it to me so they can be united in a case.

72coupe
January 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
Strawhat you wouldn't want mine. I loaned it to the 4H pistol club and it was sitting on a shooting bench that blew over. The little pistol slid along the concrete for some distance.

Thus proving the adage that no good deed go unpunished.

Jaymo
January 23, 2013, 09:16 PM
The 1862 Police is a very svelte revolver. I think that's why I like it so much.

StrawHat
January 24, 2013, 07:54 AM
Strawhat you wouldn't want mine. I loaned it to the 4H pistol club and it was sitting on a shooting bench that blew over. The little pistol slid along the concrete for some distance.

Depending on how bad it was scuffed, a lot of metal can be moved back into place by burnishing. Files and sandpaper remove metal. Burnishing moves it back into place. Just an option for you.

Crawdad1
January 25, 2013, 02:24 PM
I think it’s everything a 36 caliber revolver should be dimension wise. I sure wish I could find a Colt Signature series ‘62 Police shooter with a 6 1/2” barrel. I already have a Sig series Police with a 5 ” barrel but that just sits in its glass case for show.

YumaKid
January 26, 2013, 12:06 AM

Well, as a "4H Dad" (third time around), I'm sorry to hear about the damage; but I applaud your intentions in giving the kids something with which to learn.
And I for one thank you. Like Scouts (Boy or Girl), 4H programs teach the youngsters patience, confidence, useful skills, and most of all, respect -something that seems to be hit-or-miss in a lot of kids' homes these days.

There is a "metal-working" program.... maybe your local 4H could use a session on something like polishing scuffs out and refinishing fine metalwork.

Just Sayin' :cool:

DoubleDeuce 1
January 26, 2013, 02:41 PM
Treblig,
I don't know for certain, but does Uberti offer the '62 Pocket Police in the 6 1/2 inch version? That might fill your need until you find what you are looking for.:cool:

swathdiver
January 26, 2013, 11:00 PM
Treblig,
I don't know for certain, but does Uberti offer the '62 Pocket Police in the 6 1/2 inch version? That might fill your need until you find what you are looking for.:cool:

There's a NIB Uberti 1862 Pocket Police with the 6-1/2" barrel for sale on GunBroker right now.

Crawdad1
January 29, 2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys, I'm lookin real hard at those Ubertis on gunbroker!!!

StrawHat
March 15, 2013, 11:37 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Colt%20clones/4ab440b0-7703-436b-9436-acc56720d05a_zps04931c2f.jpg

Jaymo
March 15, 2013, 10:02 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Strawhat likes the 62 Popo even more than I do.
It's like the M1 carbine in that it's just SO handy.

woodnbow
March 16, 2013, 12:42 AM
No cylinder swaps needed either, just grab another iron and keep shootin'... :D

gunner69
March 16, 2013, 01:55 AM
I have the Pietta and it is a hoot to shoot, all SIX times. I just bought another Pietta that looks just like the .36 Police/Manhattan only in .44, will try to shoot it this weekend if the weather allows.

StrawHat
March 16, 2013, 06:54 AM
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Strawhat likes the 62 even more than I do.
It's like the M1 carbine in that it's just SO handy.
Yes, it is one of my favorite revolvers. The most recent two to join the group were both built in 1973 and imported by Replica Arms of Marietta, Ohio. These were built by Uberti, as they are fairly accurate copies of the Pocket Police revolver.

It seems the 1862, like stray dogs, seem to find me when they need a new home.

hang fire
March 16, 2013, 10:40 AM
Yes, it is one of my favorite revolvers. The most recent two to join the group were both built in 1973 and imported by Replica Arms of Marietta, Ohio. These were built by Uberti, as they are fairly accurate copies of the Pocket Police revolver.

It seems the 1862, like stray dogs, seem to find me when they need a new home.
Speaking of dogs, my 1977 Uberti from a kit had quite a bark and recoil when loaded to the max with BP. A very nice and handly little revolver, oldest daughter was very accurate with it and still has it.

Gaucho Gringo
March 16, 2013, 09:23 PM
My Uberti 1862 Pocket Police is a belly gun, it is cut at where it begins into the loading lever flare making it 2 1\2 inches. I bought it that way but after shooting it I would like to how it shoots with a longer barrel. But by the time I bought another barrel and all the parts needed for it I could buy another used gun for about the same price or less. It's like a car, if you bought all the parts separately, a $30,000 car would cost you $150,000.

StrawHat
March 18, 2013, 06:18 AM
...My Uberti 1862 Pocket Police is a belly gun, it is cut at where it begins into the loading lever flare making it 2 1\2 inches...
Sure would like to see a photo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket Police 6 1/2"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!