O'Reilly Talking Points?

PDA

Swing
July 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
Hey Pallies. Anyone catch this (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/index.html#/v/1750371953001/guns-murder-and-the-usa/?playlist_id=86923)?

Mixed bag at best, but the last I checked, full autos and bazookas required the feds "knowing about" it (*cough* NFA). Oh, and not "some gun dealers" do background checks; they all do. Wackadoo.

If you enjoyed reading about "O'Reilly Talking Points?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chevelle SS
July 23, 2012, 10:27 PM
He said "heavy weapons like AKs" need to be reported, so who knows what that would encompass.

climbnjump
July 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
BOR was a little, um, off target with that TPM... I'm guessing he wrote it himself with no input from his research staff.

hso
July 23, 2012, 11:02 PM
O'reily is an ignorant POS.

Yeah, terrorists can buy bazookas from gunshops without it being reported to the ATF on a form 4.

Suurrre, FFLs can sell without records.

When did an AK47 become a "heavy weapon"?

Riiight, NFA weapons like machine guns are available without background checks, 6+ month waits, local LEO approval and approval by the ATF.

What a lying sack of fertilizer. O'reilly has shown himself to be an anti in the past and here we see more of the same.

You know what you call and enemy dressed as an ally? A traitor.

Prince Yamato
July 23, 2012, 11:07 PM
Write him a letter that tells him that he is wrong and explains in a very short, concise way, what the federal gun laws actually are. He will put it on in his mail segment if enough people write.

Prince Yamato
July 23, 2012, 11:08 PM
Also, he's not lying, he just doesn't know any better. He's taking an educated guess at what he thinks will solve the problem.

Here's a link to the segment:

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/index.html#/v/1750371974001/factor-tip-contact-consumer-protection/?playlist_id=86923

Basically he's saying that gun sales from dealers should be reported to the FBI (which the are) and that machine gun sales should be reported as well (covered under the NFA).

The guy just doesn't know about existing gun laws. The rest of what he says is pretty spot on.

Tommygunn
July 23, 2012, 11:36 PM

Yeah, terrorists can buy bazookas from gunshops without it being reported to the ATF on a form 4.

Riiight, NFA weapons like machine guns are available without background checks, 6+ month waits, local LEO approval and approval by the ATF.

What a lying sack of fertilizer. O'reilly has shown himself to be an anti in the past and here we see more of the same.

I caught the rant on the first airing.....
HSO, Bill O'Reilly is a "traditionalist" and straddles the fence between liberal <->conservative, though he does rail against big spending.
Before the Katrina disaster he was even more in the leftie camp; it was that tragedy in New Orleans which caused him to understand that people couldn't depend on government they needed to be able to defend themselves and own guns.
But he has retained unfortunate remnants of the pre-Katrina ethos he had. He doesn't understand that an AK is not overwhelmingly POWERFUL or that Bazookas are just not available at the local sporting goods store. The finer points of gun laws, he doesn't get and he's just not a "gun person" as people here are.
Yes, the TPM tonight just didn't make sense.
But I am not ready to throw him overboard right now as he's over-all one of the better talking heads cable tv offers. Waaaaayyyyy better than some others.
Now, if someone could lock him in a room with Charles Krauthammer for maybe half an hour, O'Reilly would come out so much wiser......:evil::what::D

RX-178
July 23, 2012, 11:41 PM
Bill O' doesn't WILLINGLY put himself in the middle of an issue that he knows nothing about. He's an intelligent enough content producer not to do that on a regular basis, so for the most part, and you can tell by watching him, he knows his stuff...

BUT, you occasionally get these headlines that spread like wildfire, and at that point, the network steps in and says 'Bill, you need to talk about this on your next show.'

Have you ever seen his show regarding 'cannibalism in video games' a few years ago? Man, I just felt sorry for the poor guy.

gbw
July 23, 2012, 11:59 PM

Yep. Don't feel sorry for him. He's dishonest at best, which is not likely; he's egotistical off the charts, arrogant, stupid, dishonest, and lazy at worst. Not a close call, it's the latter. He's free to take and yodle his position till it's frosty in Hades, but come on, at least get somewhere within the vicinity of the ballpark of the truth, and try to make a little sense. He didn't come close to either one.

Swing
July 24, 2012, 12:03 AM

Grossly ignorant of existing laws, yep, indeed.

Arp32
July 24, 2012, 12:09 AM
These talking heads are entertainers, first and foremost. Why so many people take them seriously and at face value is beyond me...

stumpers
July 24, 2012, 12:13 AM
That talking points memo was easily the most inaccurate I have ever seen. I feel sorry that he put that out there and I would guess he'll get many emails correcting him and may correct himself on a later show.

"an ignorant POS" ... That doesn't seem very high-road, but maybe moderators are exempt?

wacki
July 24, 2012, 12:23 AM
"an ignorant POS" ... That doesn't seem very high-road, but maybe moderators are exempt?

Bill O'reilly should be on our side... and he's not. Given that he is/has:

1) more viewers than pretty much all his competition aggregated
2) is supposed to be "right wing"

this is a serious issue. The damage O'reilly can cause us is far more than what NPR or the NYT's can. People expect left wing big gov arguments from those outlets. People will look at Bill O'reilly and say "We'll if he's arguing for gun control then it must be a good idea."

How do I know this? Because I've seen small government Republicans react just in that way. We need to come down hard on Bill O'reilly and educate him.

For the reasons reasons I'm willing to exempt hso. I will say it's kind of funny to see hso lose control like that. Very out of character.

leadcounsel
July 24, 2012, 12:27 AM
He's usually pretty good and fair, but he was off the mark today.

I was encouraged at his attack of the left and their gun control agenda, with examples of the failures in Chicago and NYC....

However he was incredibly off the mark with his bloviating on 'heavy weapons.' I wrote him a concise email at billoreilly.com and suggest you do too.

Buzzsaw46
July 24, 2012, 12:34 AM
I was taken aback tonight I knew Bill was semi-anti gun but tonights talking points was way off the mark. I sent an email to inform him of where I felt he was going wrong.

Swing
July 24, 2012, 12:35 AM
He's usually pretty good and fair, but he was off the mark today.

Fo' sho'. I mean, buzz-guns and 'zooks, really? Totally wackadoo to think they ain't regulated.

theicemanmpls
July 24, 2012, 12:38 AM
These talking heads are entertainers, first and foremost. Why so many people take them seriously and at face value is beyond me...
Agreed. Entertainers are in showbiz. I don't watch the talking heads. IMO, with all, talking heads,there is a force behind the curtain controling what the entertainer says, and does.

Ignition Override
July 24, 2012, 01:30 AM
If O'Reilly is "a stand up guy", which is how he often describes other people who have admirable qualities,
he will acknowledge his crude descriptions and wrong assumptions about legal purchase of heavy this or that (and the term heavy).

stumpers: I once made a comment about ARs (i.e.: "these are much better than other rifles"-to help reduce interest in milsurps) which was meant to be satire, and it resulted in a THR 'warning'. Something about very delicate sensitivities out there, and many people don't interpret or comprehend reverse psychology or satire.

But I never used a gun forum to call any person a "POS". How ironic...

Kevin Rohrer
July 24, 2012, 01:37 AM
I watch him on a regular basis. Two episodes ago when he was talking about Aurora, he sounded very pro-gun to me when he said that more gun laws would not have prevented the attack. I haven't watched the latest episode.

Buzzsaw46
July 24, 2012, 01:38 AM
We shall see, he will loose my respect if he does not acknowledge his lack of knowledge on this subject. He at least needs to define "Heavy Weapons and ammo" To me a heavy weapon would be 50cal or larger

Dean1818
July 24, 2012, 04:34 AM
The guy was wrong on the topic.......

He is MILEs ahead of his counterparts on ABC,NBC,CBS,CNN,andMSNBC

I think he did this on purpose to stir the debate

1911Tuner
July 24, 2012, 04:47 AM
Billy O is no friend of 2A. He likes to appear as such in order to expand his viewing audience, but he's foundering.

I watched a segment once in which he was extolling the right to self-defense, and said that he was "fine" with owning a rifle for protection, and then added "Only in the home! Only in the home!" when his anti-leaning guest started spouting the usual sheep dip.

No...He's a closet anti. He makes very good points on most other issues, but on 2A, he's out to lunch.

beatledog7
July 24, 2012, 06:25 AM

It's simply a matter of the cycle. We need to pay attention to what these THs say because lots of people pay attention to what these THs say. In other words, what they say matters because they have a following--they have sway.

Are they so wise that we should grant them our attention? Do they deserve to have this power? For me, no. But as long as they sit in the chairs on which the cameras are trained, whatever they say matters simply because people who eventually vote think it matters.

WVleo
July 24, 2012, 07:23 AM
I saw the O'Rielly rant and turned to My wofe and refuted both statements ! Wasn't this the same episode that they put Brian Ross under the bus for misrepresenting the Tea party ? Talking heads on Tv ( I watch Bill but would not be part of His pay per veiw crap ) are just that talkers , just some less entertaining than others. I would shoot Piers Morgan if He ever stepped foot on My property and scream take that King George ( Opps ranting ) ! There no smarter than Our Politicians. ....wvleo

Prince Yamato
July 24, 2012, 09:34 AM
Again, WRITE him! He will answer the emails if they are done in an informative, non-accusative manner. He is not a liar, he simply is unaware of what the federal gun laws are.

Carl N. Brown
July 24, 2012, 09:43 AM
I have been aware of O'Reilly's "machineguns and bazookas" rant for literally years--its old news, and one of the reasons I have lost interest in watching Bill. And for a guy who let's the other side have the last 30 secs after a "debate" to say what they please without interruption, he still has not done research on his "machineguns and bazookas" rant and i doubt if he's correctable.

MtnCreek
July 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
Want another shock, see the below. This guy gets it. Who'ed a thunk it....

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/07/23/ice-t_defends_gun_rights_the_last_form_of_defense_against_tyranny.html

Swing
July 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
Who'd'a thunk indeed. Good clip though. :)

Carl N. Brown
July 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
Would it be possible to get Ice T and Bill O'Reilly to debate gun control v gun rights?

MtnCreek
July 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
In a debate, O'Riley would mop the floor with him, no matter what the topic or which side of it he was on. I'd like to see them settle it with a good ole fashoned fist fight. :)

Sniper66
July 24, 2012, 10:16 AM
I enjoy Bill O'Reilly on occasion, but he really annoyed me with his noisy nonsense about guns. I haven't seen many "bazookas and machine guns" at the dozens of gun shows I have walked through. Hopefully, he will get a number of intelligent response. It will be interesting to see if he publisizes any of the progun emails he is likely to get. I won't hold my breath. If he does, will someone let us know? I don't watch that often but I spend time on THR almost every day. My bet is though that anti-gun people are loading both barrels to go after us one more time. Get ready folks.

X-Rap
July 24, 2012, 11:31 AM
I don't take anything O'Reilly or Ice T say with much more than a grain of salt. After last Fridays show Micheal Savage can pretty much shove it too.

RKRCPA
July 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
My email was sent before the segment ended. I'll let you know if I here anything from it.

b7tac
July 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
Most of the time I agree with what Bill O has to say. I think he tries to remain objective (for the most part). But this was just ill informed, if not just plain ignorant. I think he has been living in hell, I mean NYC too long.

fireman 9731
July 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
We'll do it live!

basicblur
July 24, 2012, 12:20 PM
Bill was pathetic, but then there's Piers Morgan!

Last night he and Alan Dershowitz ganged up on John Lott - both filibustered, and 'bout every time Lott complained he was not being allowed to answer, Morgan shot him some line 'bout the reason he was not being allowed to answer was because his answers were rubbish!
(2 minute video here (http://www.mrctv.org/videos/piers-morgan-badgers-conservative-guest-gun-control-debate) - can't find full segment clip, but this is how the entire segment went, if not worse)

But...Dershowitz railed against the NRA and how hyperbolic they were on the gun issue, then proceeded to make some statement 'bout the NRA being OK with up to and including nuclear weapons (mebbe that's what the N in NRA stands for?).
Unbelievable - had just ranted 'bout NRA hyperbole, then dropped the nuclear weapon in their lap?

Mebbe Bill will add nuclear weapons to his bazooka etc rant tonight?

No, I don't normally watch Piers Morgan and MSNBC, but DVR 'em for research purposes on issues like this.

Darn if the 'No Spin Zone' didn't seem to be a whirling dervish last night!

CoRoMo
July 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
This.

When he first hit the scene, I thought he would be the next best thing since blackberry jelly. After getting an overdose of him for the last decade, I can hardly stand the sound of his voice.

rajb123
July 24, 2012, 12:39 PM
When Bill and Hillary Clinton's gun laws were being crafted it was proposed that the federal governement shouls keep a list of all transactions and gun owners. The NRA and others rejected this idea becasue they beleive it could lead to easy confiscation.

As a result, the background check information for gun sales is NOT to be kept by the feds.

This is a good idea. The government should not keep records on who owns guns. It is an invitation to confiscation.

phil dirt
July 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
I've quit watching BOR. He is one of the most arrogant, pompus, and as in this case, often ignorant personalities on TV.

Nico Testosteros
July 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
O'Reilly is worthless. I don't care on what topic he's speaking.

I take that back. As a model for Steven Colbert to follow, he's priceless.
But other than that...

JagerRanger
July 24, 2012, 03:39 PM

I concur. I just could not compose my thoughts in fear of violating the High Road standard :)

BOR is anti-gun, and he does not have problem to spread the ignorance around. I'm as flabbergasted of people who follow him as those who watch the MSNBC.

Vern Humphrey
July 24, 2012, 03:42 PM
O'Rielly has come up with this crap before. When the "Assault Weapons Ban" was about to expire, he said something like "I don't want to see bazookas on the street." Obviously, he never read the "Assault Weapons Ban" and did not know about the NFA.

I sent him an email last night -- who knows, maybe he'll read it.

mljdeckard
July 24, 2012, 03:44 PM
I agree entirely with posts 4 and 22 completely. He's not our friend.

doorman
July 24, 2012, 05:40 PM
Here is what I sent today.

Dear Mr. O,

Please do your research. You sounded uninformed on what “heavy weapons” are. Also, civilian owned AK-47’s and AR-15’s are not machine guns, they have no auto sear and can only fire one bullet with each pull of the trigger. That’s why the federal government refers to them as “Semi-Auto” not “Fully Automatic” or “Select Fire”.

I do not fear that the government will eventually take some action but what I do fear is that it will be easier to remove a right guaranteed by the second amendment in the name of public safety. Freedom has risks and a person who has evil in his or her heart will find a way to act. This guy, Holmes, could have easily figured out how to lock or block the doors and set fire to the place which would have resulted in a much greater loss of life.

The one tool that our forefathers had to fight a tyrannical government was the gun, it made them at least as dangerous as the British army.

Regards,

Rembrandt
July 24, 2012, 05:42 PM
O'Riellys ignorance of the topic was on display for all to see.......the media giant gave us a first class example of the meaning of the word..."Bloviating".

Friendly, Don't Fire!
July 24, 2012, 05:44 PM
Say what y'all want about the fellow.
I happen to like his editorials, he seems like a nice guy!

Nobody's Prefect.:)

I will admit, though, I did watch that one and I felt he is just a bit under-educated when it comes to guns.

I would like to see him as president!

Grassman
July 24, 2012, 06:22 PM
I think Bill is just not a gun owner,and ignorant on that issue. He couldn't identify an AK-47 if it shot him in the ass. I don't think he's anti at all, just not versed on the gun issue.

Vern Humphrey
July 24, 2012, 06:27 PM
I think Bill is just not a gun owner,and ignorant on that issue. He couldn't identify an AK-47 if it shot him in the ass. I don't think he's anti at all, just not versed on the gun issue.
And that's an ethics issue.

If he's that ignorant on the subject, he should shut up and start studying.

If he's not ignorant, then he's spinning the issue -- and that would make him no better than Dan Rather.

WVleo
July 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
Second night in a row O'rielly spouts about gun laws/sales and He is totally misinformed again. Makes Me ask what else has He been totally misinformed about over the years. He has lost all credibility with Me ! .......WVleo
PS The Congressman from Utah ( name escapes Me ) gives Me faith in Congress as He knew the facts and told Bill He was misinformed.........leo

skt239
July 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
O'Reilly ranks just slightly above to Geraldo when it comes to journalistic integrity in my book. Quite honestly, I can't think of a single news anchor who isn't a compete idiot, especially when it comes issues concerning our right to keep and bear arms.

Can you give us an example of the dribble and diatribe he was spouting on this particular night? The only time I ever watch FOX news is while I'm changing channels.

hogshead
July 24, 2012, 08:50 PM
Faith in congress. Now thats a new one.

joecil
July 24, 2012, 09:19 PM
I gave up long ago on Fox news due to going through Hurricane Andrew in Homestead and watching their reporter on the scene Rich Sanchez. Never did watch MSNBC, or the other cable channels but then I still read news papers though now mostly on the net. I try to get the straight news from the major news wire outlets personally, but then I'm capable of drawing my own conclusions don't need some talking head telling me.

Tim the student
July 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
The dude is an anti, and has no interest in facts. He can (insert non high road terms) for all I care.

IMO, it is a shame he has the audience he does.

basicblur
July 24, 2012, 09:30 PM
If he's not ignorant, then he's spinning the issue...
Wait...what? That can't be, 'cuz it's the No Spin Zone! :banghead:

Tonight was Round 2 - Bill not only failed to redeem himself, he waded in deeper, AND did exactly what he accused many of his guests of - when Congressman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) tried to explain what he got wrong last night, Bill filibustered him! I kept hoping Congressman Chaffetz was going to tell the director to cut Bill's mike...

So here's Bill's scorecard on this issue so far:
1. No Spin? Nope.
2. Not allowing filibustering / making speeches? Nope.
3. Fair and Balanced? Nope
4. Bloviating? Absolutely.

Bill's 'interview' with Chaffetz was borderline as bad as Piers Morgan and Alan Dershowitz ganging up on John Lott last night!

barnbwt
July 24, 2012, 09:38 PM
...'bout the NRA being OK with up to and including nuclear weapons

Professor:"But who will defend my Constitutional Right to bear Doomsday Devices?"
NRA Guy:"Amen, Brother, I don't go anywhere without my Mutated Anthrax...Fer duck huntin'."
:D

Bill O's just ignorant, and we shouldn't blame him just for that. What I hate is when the man takes a "firm stance" on an issue he hasn't bothered to learn anything about, and makes us "interested parties" look like asses apologizing for him. If O'Reilly has no interest in guns (and he obviously has no interest in owning/using guns, seeing as he remains in NYC), he should just button his yap on this one issue, and save his breath for something he actually cares about.

I suppose the lure of ratings is what really motivated him to speak on this topic...

TCB

basicblur
July 24, 2012, 09:56 PM
Bill doesn't have to go far to get correct info regarding his bloviating.
I'm sure both Sean Hannity (who I don't care for, but appears to be a knowledgable gun owner) and Andy Levy (Redeye) could both explain to Bill where he's way off base with his rant.

'Course, as we saw with Congressman Chaffetz, Bill's mind is already made up - he apparently doesn't want folks muddying up the rant with facts.

BTW - tonight he threw mortars into the mix!
I gotta run down to ye olde gun shop tomorrow and check out some mortars!

climbnjump
July 24, 2012, 09:57 PM
Tonight was Round 2 - Bill not only failed to redeem himself, he waded in deeper, AND did exactly what he accused many of his guests of - when Congressman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) tried to explain what he got wrong last night, Bill filibustered him! I kept hoping Congressman Chaffetz was going to tell the director to cut Bill's mike...

BOR did double down on stupid tonight. It was a bizzare performance. He was beyond completely ignorant of the facts. The man has a research staff for Pete's sake. Obviously, he didn't use them. Or they are as incompetent as he is.

basicblur
July 24, 2012, 10:25 PM
I forgot to add - not only did Bill throw mortars into the mix tonight, suddenly the number of rounds jumped from 6,000 to 60,000!
After his first mistake (by 'The Factor' :rolleyes: of 10), he repeated the incorrect number of rounds ordered by the BG numerous times - he never did correct it (not that the number of rounds one has off his body makes any difference whatsoever).

But...by this time, his emotions had gotten the better of him, he was on an out of control rant, and was consumed with not allowing Congressman Chaffetz to get in a word.

Leanwolf
July 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
O'Reilly has always been an elitist anti-guns-owned-by-the-worker-peasants hypocrite. He's a snake. Never trust him.

L.W.

Warp
July 24, 2012, 10:50 PM
Why do people keep watching the mainstream media???

nosmr2
July 24, 2012, 10:55 PM
I love Buzz O'Reilly, he really stands for my values.

Zeke/PA
July 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
O'Rielly CERTAINLY DID NOT have his ducks in a row tonight with his very apparent ignorance of EXISTING Gun Legislation.
"heavy weapons, mortars and machine guns"?
COME ON!!!

alsaqr
July 24, 2012, 11:14 PM
The only time I ever watch FOX news is while I'm changing channels.

Works for me too.

bigdipper
July 24, 2012, 11:19 PM
O'Rielly is a complete idiot (and some other words) the only reason i would ever watch Fox news is for a good laugh

Tommygunn
July 24, 2012, 11:20 PM
Here's a long time O'Reilly fan who is losing faith. Last night in his talking points he started drifting afar from facts ...."machine guns, report AK purchases to the FBI and they'll track the buyer...."
Tonight he redoubled his Qupidity. Having on a guest who understood the laws, atleast better than he did (who pointed out machine guns were highly regulated, registered & taxed) O'Reilly over-rode him and re-entrenched himself in his own, deliberate ignorance. I mean that. Look, a lot of people who don't know the laws are ignorant, that's fine. It is no crime. Ignorance can be cured, stupidity can't.
But O'Reilly WON'T LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!
Really, I'm almost done with him. He's good on other subjects but on gun control he's a absolute turkey.
Again it isn't his ignorance that's pissing me off it's his unwillingness to learn!!!!!!!!

Walking Dead
July 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
I had to change the channel. I may have well been listening to Rosie O'Donnell.

stonecoldy
July 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
Just watched the interview and what a bunch of garbage. O'Rielly matches most of the other "commentators" on Fox. I still like watching Huckabee on there, though, not much else.

KWayne406
July 24, 2012, 11:28 PM
Patriot and Pinheads, think Bill will feature himself as a pinhead?

Tommygunn
July 24, 2012, 11:31 PM

So here's Bill's scorecard on this issue so far:
1. No Spin? Nope.
2. Not allowing filibustering / making speeches? Nope.
3. Fair and Balanced? Nope
4. Bloviating? Absolutely.

Bill's 'interview' with Chaffetz was borderline as bad as Piers Morgan and Alan Dershowitz ganging up on John Lott last night!

+100000000000000000
You got this right!
I'm a long time fan of O'Reilly and I am seriously ticked off at this. Ignorance is something I can forgive as we're all born that way, and through learning we can ameliorate it.
As someone said; "ignorance is curable, stupidity is not."
O'Reilly isn't stupid but his ego is wrapped up in his populist streak and he's entrenched himself in the ignorance.
I am going to give him one more chance....but the next time he doubles down on his ignorance on firearms ....he's off my watch list, period.:fire::fire:

the iron horse
July 24, 2012, 11:34 PM
I have watched Fox News for years, but I
have never felt they were friends to gun owners.

This is it.

I'm through watching.

Ohio Gun Guy
July 24, 2012, 11:34 PM
Bill is consistently bad on 2A issues. This is not the first time. For all his other "Nanny" state positions, he seems perfectly willing to surrender the 2A and let Big Brother be the protector of all......its subjects.

the iron horse
July 24, 2012, 11:39 PM
"Bill is consistently bad on 2A issues."

I agree and so is Fox News as a whole.

I have watched for years, but I'm through with them.

ApacheCoTodd
July 24, 2012, 11:42 PM
O'Rielly is a "sound bite" hack and if the shoe was on the other foot and the premier minority money (relative to national media) was on the other foot, I wouldn't be surprised to see him advancing Dem causes while couching his blather in Libertarianism.

I'm as conservative as the day is long but have always felt that with friends like him...

Ever notice how he never seems to conclude a topic or reach a conclusion or revisit a topic to address a conclusive point in an issue? The man lives for controversy and shows a limited degree of belief in his points of view in his seeming inability to ever follow through.

Swing
July 24, 2012, 11:42 PM
The thang that really struck me is how this past on to his broadcast. I mean if some random character said crap about machine guns and bazookas and barrel shrouds (the things that go up!), it ain't all dat surprising. But doesn't Bill have a staff to scope this stuff out before he rants on air? Totally bizarre-o that it escaped notice. Some obscure point of law, yah, maybe. But MGs and bazookas? Makes no sense.

Swing
July 24, 2012, 11:45 PM
Oh, for crying out loud ... "mortars, howitzers, machine guns" (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/index.html#/v/1752177459001/should-fbi-crack-down-on-assault-weapons/?playlist_id=86923). Really?!

Arp32
July 24, 2012, 11:49 PM
You guys do remember when he was the host of A Current Affair, right? Tabloid trash, circa 1990?

The Geraldo comparison was not far off.

*correction, it was Inside Edition, a knockoff of A Current Affair

hso
July 24, 2012, 11:55 PM
So not only does he want all our ammunition purchases to be tracked he won't allow his factual mistakes to be corrected.

Arp32
July 24, 2012, 11:56 PM
I was wrong, the show was Inside Edition - it was A Current Affair's competition. I just went and looked it up and got totally distracted by Morton Downey, Jr.

asia331
July 25, 2012, 12:28 AM
Tonight I was writing The Factor before the segment was over.The trouble with gentlemen such as O'Reilly is that they fervently believe that an ivy league education not only makes them expert in every field but also that others of not so prestigious pedigree are dolts and morons. I know; I teach at a university. Bill's ignorance of small (not "heavy") arms and Federal firearms law is appalling; I wrote to him as much for two nights in a row now suggesting Bill "research first...opine later." No doubt my Arizona residency will confirm to O'Reilly's elitist nature that I am a mere peasant not worthy of regard.

X-Rap
July 25, 2012, 12:33 AM
Yep BO is a real _____ but just remember that other guy who on numerous occasions called him THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD before he was booted from those other 2 worthless networks.
Media makes money on these tragedies that's the bottom line, when the pay off starts to slow so does the wall to wall coverage. They all suck in that respect.

MachIVshooter
July 25, 2012, 12:40 AM
Email sent

I'm sure you've received thousands of such emails, but here's one more, just in case you skip the rest and read mine.

-The AK-47 is not a "heavy weapon"; It is a small arm that fires an intermediate cartridge.

-The AK-47 is not available as a title I weapon that you can walk into your local gun store and purchase with just a quick background check. AK-pattern rifles are available, but they are semi-automatic only. A real AK-47, like any other real assault rifle (By definition, assault rifles are capable of burst or fully automatic fire) is heavily regulated under the 1934 National Firearm Act; Acquiring one requires submitting a form 4 to the ATF which, if approved after ~6 months, you must then pay a $200 tax to have the REGISTERED MACHINE GUN transferred to you. ALL legal machine guns are registered, and they are prohibitively expensive due to a finite number available (no machine gun made after 1986 is transferable to a civilian). An M-16 rifle costs about $15,000 USD currently. An M60 machine gun is about $25,000 USD. These guns are rare as hens teeth, rarely encountered even by those of us who are very immersed in the shooting sports & culture.

-The Bazooka. Like any DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE (non-sporting firearm over .50 caliber, or explosive ammunition & grenades) is also regulated by the 1934 National Firearm Act and are registered. They require the same form 4, same wating period, and same $200 tax stamp. Additionally, each and every non-inert (explosive) shell for a bazooka or other Destructive Device also requires a form 4 & $200 tax stamp. So, to buy 10 rounds for your "bazooka", you'd have to file the forms, pay $2,000 in taxes (plus whatever the rounds cost, usually hundreds of dollars each) and wait about 6 months before you could take possession of the shells.

-Other arms that are required to be registered include Short barreled rifles (rifles with a barrel under 16" or a total length under 26"), Short barreled or "sawed off" shotguns (shotguns with a barrel under 18" or a total length under 26"), and "AOW", or "ANY OTHER WEAPON", which is a fairly complicated class that we don't need to delve into for my purposes here.

-Gun sales are recorded. How do you think the authorities knew when and where Holmes got his guns? They traced them from manufacturer to distributor to retailer, then went to those retailers and found the form 4473 for those weapons. Furthermore, any sale of two or more handguns at one time requires another "multiple handgun purchase" form to be filled out and immediately submitted to the ATF further review. Holmes may have known about this, since he did buy his two identical handguns at two separate locations of the same retailer.

I'm glad you show support for our right to bear arms, but please try to get the facts right. We don't need any inflammatory misinformation spread.

Nick

Swing
July 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
We don't need any inflammatory misinformation spread.

Bingo-bango.

YankeeFlyr
July 25, 2012, 01:16 AM
It's all theatre, folks.

Whatever sells advertising, via ratings. That's it. :)

JTW Jr.
July 25, 2012, 02:14 AM
This guy talks out both sides of his neck.

First he is totally uneducated on gun laws, especially NFA regs.

He wants all heavy weapons to be reported , yet in this segment @ 3:14 ( http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/index.html#/v/1750371953001/guns-murder-and-the-usa/?playlist_id=86923) he says " the folks know the government can't protect them".

So if he is making this up as he goes along ( which he is ), he is still flipping back and forth like a fish out of water.

Rubbish media , if he doesn't go to the trouble to check his "facts" on articles like this , I sure can't trust, or expect, him to check his facts on anything else.

He is not part of a solution, he is a major part of the mis-information in our country.

Buzzsaw46
July 25, 2012, 02:19 AM
Just watched it myself, unbelievable! 60,000 rounds of ammo, gimme a break. At least in this case, the informed side of the discussion was the member of congress.

NMPOPS
July 25, 2012, 04:21 AM
I'm going to e-mail him. He is arrogant but hopefully he will listen is he get enough letters. He is asking for laws to be past that already exist!

fireman 9731
July 25, 2012, 09:23 AM
Did he read any of the viewer mail last night? I missed it and was curious to see if he actually admitted he was wrong or just ignored it all.

Here is what I sent him:

Bill, you let me down last night. Your talking points memos are usually accurate and reliable, but the rant about machine guns and bazookas was simply wrong. Do some fact checking on the ATF requirements for buying a machine gun. Its a lot of paperwork, 6 month wait time, background check, $200 tax, and local law enforcement approval. A bazooka is considered a destructive device and is illegal everywhere. And where did the "heavy weapons like AK-47s" statement come from? An AK is just a semi-auto rifle like many others. I invite you to come to KY and shoot a lot of fun guns that you cant have in New York.

P.S. My AK-47 only weighs about 9lbs.

Buzzsaw46
July 25, 2012, 09:28 AM
He did do his mail section but nothing informative.

Dr. Sandman
July 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
1. Very disappointing to see BO play the part of blathering, ignorant idiot.
2. Prediction: Tonight BO will admit that he was wrong.

Edited on 7/26/12 to add: I can't believe he did not admit he was wrong, even with Beck ribbing him. My faith is misplaced.

Tommygunn
July 25, 2012, 11:06 AM
1. Very disappointing to see BO play the part of blathering, ignorant idiot.
2. Prediction: Tonight BO will admit that he was wrong.

Naaaahhhh...ain't gonna happen.......:rolleyes:

X-Rap
July 25, 2012, 11:16 AM
Bill O has kind of painted himself in a corner with his recent ignorant rants. It will be interesting to see how he walks this one back given the hugely inaccurate statements he has made repeatedly. His only consolation is that he is not alone, there have been plenty in the media making stupid claims and assumptions.
If he would have taken the time last night to correct himself instead of repeat the same rant he probably could have regained some credibility but that opportunity was wasted.

rajb123
July 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
Bill O'Reilly lives in NY and it is obvious he, like Obama, Romney and Mayor Bloomberg has never owned a single gun.

His call for the feds to track the names of people who buy powerful guns (????) would create a federal registry of guns and gun owners. This is an extremely bad idea since it could eventually lead to wholesale confiscation of guns by the federal or state or local governments.

In addition, in order to implement this system, it would require a seller and a buyer in private sale transactions between residents of a single US state to participate and allow the feds to collect the sales data.

THAT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA THAT WAS STRONGLY OPPOSED BY THE NRA AND OTHERS WHEN THE MASSIVE CLINTON ERA GUN CONTROLS WERE IMPOSED ON AMERICANS IN THE EARLY 1990s.

A few provisions of that bad legislation such as the prohibition on so-called assault weapons and large capacity magazines expired in 2004 as a result of a sunset provision in the law. Most of the other very onerous and unnecessary and ineffective provisions like the required background check is still on the books.

X-Rap
July 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
His call for the feds to track the names of people who buy powerful guns (????) would create a federal registry of guns and gun owners. This is an extremely bad idea since it could eventually lead to wholesale confiscation of guns by the federal or state or local governments.

Sadly this is pretty much already being done or at least the mechanisms are in place and become more sophisticated at technology advances. One only has to look at how quickly they tracked the origins of the Aurora shooters guns, they had the info released to the press in 6-7 hrs so their time was probably considerably less.
Private sales are where they will be going next IMO, here in CO they already have the private sales at gunshows recorded on 4473's and many are being done electronically just as many FFL's now do it. Are these fragile electronic files allowed to only be held at the dealer or are they recorded in some other database?

jcwit
July 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
Bill O'Reilly lives in NY and it is obvious he, like Obama, Romney and Mayor Bloomberg has never owned a single gun.

This is another of those blanket statements that the poster nor anyone else has any real knowledge of.

Cosmoline
July 25, 2012, 12:19 PM
True, we don't know who owns firearms among that cabal, but we DO know they are a cabal. They live in a enclave of privilege. Their kids go to the same schools and they all know each other. I stopped watching those "news" shows years ago, and I don't know why anyone still bothers to.

hso
July 25, 2012, 01:16 PM
I'd be more concerned about his idea to track ammunition purchasers.
This has been proposed by Antis that want to work the back door to regulating gun ownership out of existence.

420Stainless
July 25, 2012, 06:34 PM
I sent my email for whatever good it will do. His treatment of the Congressman was despicable considering that Congressman Chaffetz was the only one in the conversation who was knowledgeable on the law. Won't be watching anymore unless I hear of an apology.

M7
July 25, 2012, 06:58 PM
I sent my email for whatever good it will do. His treatment of the Congressman was despicable considering that Congressman Chaffetz was the only one in the conversation who was knowledgeable on the law. Won't be watching anymore unless I hear of an apology.

I agree.

I've grown increasingly annoyed in the past few weeks over O'Reilly's rude behavior towards his guests and will likely stop watching him unless he stops "yelling down" his guests.

It is one thing to disagree, but to run down the congressman like he did- inexcusable. He came off looking no better than one of the rabid, irrational anti's that he sometimes has on the show.

His stance (uninformed) on guns and the 2A is deplorable and FOX's flagship platfrom just took a major hit, IMHO.

So much for the spin stopping there.

crankyoldlady
July 25, 2012, 07:38 PM
I stopped watching him a long, long time ago. I like myself better with him out of my life.

Carl N. Brown
July 25, 2012, 08:28 PM
He's channelling the spirit of Piers Morgan.

Or, I wonder if it is the influence of Rupert Murdoch, the Aussie owner of Fox News, who has been accused of ordering slanted talking points for news coverage.

Tommygun, that's H***, Michigan, they freeze over every winter. Shorter wait than the other place. I am not waiting for the other place to freeze over. No patience.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=168832&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1343228739

'Tis sad, I used to like the O'Reilly of years past who while openly opinionated allowed the guest to make their points too, and left it up to the viewer.

hang fire
July 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
Today on Glen Beck radio program, uncle Ted ripped the O'Bloviator a new one.

oldcelt
July 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
I think it was Mark Twain that said," there are educated men and there are educated damn fools". The longer I live the more I think he was right.

ThorinNNY
July 25, 2012, 08:37 PM
Not surprised Oh Really ? said that! IMHOP he`s not to be trusted.Interesting that Ice T says you need a gun to protect yourself from the police. Well, I guess he ought to know, afterall he plays one on NBC`s Law and Order Special Victims Unit, right?

WVleo
July 25, 2012, 08:49 PM
Beck just reminded Billy that He Beeeaaatch slapped Him on His radio program and flat out told Him He was wrong on the Tv show ! O'Rielly has lost all alot of what He calls " The Folks " over His ignorance about 2nd Ad and guns here in America ......WVleo

basicblur
July 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
You know he's been bombarded with e-mails telling him exactly how many of the numerous points he got completely wrong last night, not to mention how he responded exactly like he accuses some of his left-leaning guests of acting.

At the end of the show tonight, he read a couple of e-mails, no doubt carefully chosen to not point out his specific mistakes.

What he said: This is an emotional issue and I'm not going to convince you...
What he meant: Yeah, it was I who emotionally lost it last night - I got my butt handed to me by numerous e-mails, bloggers, websites, etc., pointing out I had absolutely no clue what I was talking about, but rather than wade in deeper or man up and apologize, correct the record, and admit I was wrong, I'm going to spin this to paint all you e-mailers as the emotional ones! :what:

No Spin Zone indeed... :rolleyes:

I think we can interpret his response to the e-mail as an official surrender on this subject, for which Bill probably wishes he had a mulligan (assuming his ego would allow it)!

The second e-mail also asked him who should define "heavy weapons"?
He replied that Congress should!

Wow...that's a scary thought, but I'm sure Carolyn (I believe it is a shoulder thing that goes up) McCarthy and Dianne (we flipped through a book to pick out what were assault weapons) Feinstein are up to the task!

hso
July 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
Let's hope enough people see through this charlatan that he ends up running a blog pulling Google ads for revenue.

Buzzsaw46
July 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
hso, the only bad part with that would be the reduced charity he would be capable of. The wounded warrior project and some of his other pet charities are worth supporting.

Tommygunn
July 25, 2012, 11:11 PM
Tommygun, that's H***, Michigan, they freeze over every winter. Shorter wait than the other place. I am not waiting for the other place to freeze over. No patience.

Not surprising at all. I don't remember where or when I picked up that picture but it was included for its obvious humor value. My grandmother went to college in Michigan and I remember her stories of their winters so I am not at all surprised they feeze over yearly!

MachIVshooter
July 26, 2012, 01:40 AM

It's also extremely illegal. 18 U.S.C. 926(a)(3):

No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary’s [1] authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

As HSO said, it's the back-door gun control using ammunition that we have to worry about, since ammo isn't included in the language of Volkner-McClure (FOPA)

awgrizzly
July 26, 2012, 01:53 AM
Little else could have generated the amount of controversy than what O'Reilly said... rabid controversy from gun owners and supporters of the 2A. He needs controversy to remain relevant and generate ratings, and it doesn't matter if from the left or right. His comments about how machine guns, bazookas, mortars or whatever can be bought without government knowledge is quite silly, so I don't know if it's ignorance or designed to enrage, but I would not doubt the latter. I believe it's all a ratings ploy and most of his fair and balanced schtick is an act. He's not so much fair and balanced, his opinion is absolute and he'll violently argue it. He'll chose from the left or right, but his choice is law, not so fair, not so balanced... you're mileage may vary depending upon which side of the fence he falls on. =o)

orionengnr
July 26, 2012, 01:55 AM
I have been an O'Reilly fan for many years... but last night's telecast really pissed me off. That was one off-the-tracks monologue.

I emailed him, outlining the ludicrous statements he made last night. Not sure if he will read and absorb...he doesn't seem to be the most open-minded guy. I hope I am wrong.

Well, we will see--hoping for the best.

Regards, Rich.

Swing
July 27, 2012, 09:25 AM
Looks like O'Reilly has a poll up about reporting "heavy weapons" here (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/index.html).

Pilot
July 27, 2012, 09:44 AM
He's a jourannlist who proclaims to "watch out for the folks". Therefore, he is an elitist, and thinks we are all stupid idiots. What the heck are the "folks" anyway. He's a statist in disguise.

Tommygunn
July 27, 2012, 10:13 AM
Looks like O'Reilly has a poll up about reporting "heavy weapons" here.

We're up a little.
I voted --thanks for the link, Swing!

hso
July 27, 2012, 10:30 AM
Use of the term "heavy weapons" without the explanation is intentional on his part in this poll. No one that knows the background of how he applied the term to AK style semiauto rifles will think to answer "NO" because they'll be thinking he's talking about something far beyond your or my rifle.

GEM
July 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
I saw part of it with Lou Dobbs. O' is an idiot. He can't tell a heavy weapon from a rifle as he can't tell a loofah from a falafel.

He was a jerk as a newsman in OR when I lived there.

basicblur
July 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
Sounds like Lou has done a bit of homework or either is a knowledgeable gun owner, but like Senator Chaffetz, he wasn't going to get through to O'Reilly with those pesky facts.

Mebbe it's me, but I saw that little jab at O'Reilly Glenn Beck took at him a few nights ago on O'Reilly's show on this subject.
I ain't no 'body language' expert like that gal he keeps trotting out, but I'd say Bill's body language when Beck hit him with it says yeah, I screwed the pooch and got caught on that one!

Zeke/PA
July 27, 2012, 01:40 PM
I admit that I'm a fan of Bill's but his recent statements on Gun Crime/ownership make me wonder.
Lou Dobbs obviously echos the thoughts and words of the entire pro-gun community by stating " existing laws are not being enforced",
a dilema that is taking place Nationwide.
WHEN is the Justice system going to wake up??

Vern Humphrey
July 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
What he said: This is an emotional issue and I'm not going to convince you...
What he meant: Yeah, it was I who emotionally lost it last night - I got my butt handed to me by numerous e-mails, bloggers, websites, etc., pointing out I had absolutely no clue what I was talking about, but rather than wade in deeper or man up and apologize, correct the record, and admit I was wrong, I'm going to spin this to paint all you e-mailers as the emotional ones!
You should send that to him as an email.

basicblur
July 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
You should send that to him as an email.
Feel free to rip off anything I said and send it his way!

I got a feeling Bill is going to try to bow out gracefully on this one, but he probably has a problem - his ego may will not allow him to do so.

Who knows what will trigger an emotional outburst as was on display the other night?

Shades of his Entertainment Tonight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HyZ5aW76c&feature=related) days!
(explicit language)

And if that didn't make you laugh, here's the longer version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iRTyW2Qnbs&feature=fvwrel)! (I really like the you screw this up again and we'll ship you to FOX News line!)
(explicit language)

Now that you're done laughing, everybody get outta your seats and group dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2YDq6FkVE)!
(warning - more explicit language)

Hey...I see you Vern - you're not dancing!

rachjake
July 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Bill has let me down - - -

Twmaster
July 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
BOR is a loud mouth fool. I spit on his shoes...

If you enjoyed reading about "O'Reilly Talking Points?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!