S&W 22A upper and slide...what is made of??

PDA

saturno_v
July 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
What kind of alloy is the upper and the slide of the S&W 22A is made of?? It does not feel like steel to me...

The inner barrel itsels does not seem to be a steel piece interted in the alloy outer shell...it looks like a single piece...so are barrels and chambers made of alloy possible in a low pressure 22 LR firearm??

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 22A upper and slide...what is made of??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
intercooler
July 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
The frame is Aluminum. Pretty sure the slide is Steel though.

saturno_v
July 25, 2012, 11:00 PM
The frame is Aluminum. Pretty sure the slide is Steel though.

But the black finishing on barrel/upper and slide seems "painted", typical of light alloy construction and not blued as typical of steel construction....

Canuck-IL
July 25, 2012, 11:36 PM
You might try the S&W web site - they actually manufacture them.
Material: Aluminum Alloy Frame
Stainless Steel Slide

/B

intercooler
July 25, 2012, 11:51 PM
You mean the upper rail where you mount the scope? Also Aluminum on that.

jogar80
July 25, 2012, 11:53 PM
The slide is steel. It is painted black, probably because blueing it would raise costs. The 22a is a great gun at a low price

saturno_v
July 25, 2012, 11:58 PM
The slide is steel. It is painted black, probably because blueing it would raise costs. The 22a is a great gun at a low price

Totally agree...I got mine on sale for $199 at Cabela's. Very accurate, nice ergonomics and top notch reliability...

REAPER4206969
July 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
probably because blueing it would raise costs.

...Or maybe because it's pretty hard to blue stainless.

jogar80
July 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
...Or maybe because it's pretty hard to blue stainless.
Well I don't know if it's stainless or not, I just know its steel

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 22A upper and slide...what is made of??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!