In the market for a .25acp. Suggestions?

PDA

PaulKersey3
July 26, 2012, 02:59 AM
My next purchase will be a .25/6.35 pistol. The purpose is strictly to just have one and fill that caliber niche. I'm looking to get something a bit older, so Beretta instead of Taurus, and no younger than Jetfire generation. I've always wanted a 418 (original Bond gun) but they're getting harder to find, and I'm not dead set on a beretta. My budget is enough to cover high end so I'd love to look at Colts or baby Brownings or even Walthers.

Any suggestions or personal preferences?

If you enjoyed reading about "In the market for a .25acp. Suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
toivo
July 26, 2012, 04:03 AM
Baby Browning clone by Precision Small Arms:

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/tomi245/DSCF0416.jpg

They come in a variety of finishes.

http://precisionsmallarms.com/

The "Featherweight" (aluminum frame vs. steel on the others) is pretty nice, but pricey:

http://precisionsmallarms.com/index.php/component/k2/item/7-featherweight

usp9
July 26, 2012, 06:44 AM

My personal favorite is the Walther TPH. It comes in both 22lr or .25acp. It's sleek, thin and small but large enough to grip, aim and be accurate.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Walther/tph25011.jpg

Lawdawg45
July 26, 2012, 07:25 AM
My next purchase will be a .25/6.35 pistol. The purpose is strictly to just have one and fill that caliber niche. I'm looking to get something a bit older, so Beretta instead of Taurus, and no younger than Jetfire generation. I've always wanted a 418 (original Bond gun) but they're getting harder to find, and I'm not dead set on a beretta. My budget is enough to cover high end so I'd love to look at Colts or baby Brownings or even Walthers.

Well crap! I had a long lecture planned out in my mind to type, way to ruin a rant!:D

LD

SharpsDressedMan
July 26, 2012, 07:36 AM
Beretta Panther, Bantam, Jetfire, or 21. Here's a 418 on the bottom (Panther), believed to be the original 007 Beretta model, (but a Beretta 950 Jetfire was around at the time, too). http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC06238.jpg

Cocked & Locked
July 26, 2012, 07:49 AM
How about an old Colt Vest Pocket .25?

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6259764/381416353.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6259764/317273115.jpg

cheeze
July 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
If you want something quality and a bit interesting, you might look into an Italian Galesi Brescia. They are built to close tolerances and are pretty nice for a .25 pistol. I think they are from the 1950s and '60s. I think you can pick up a nice one for between $150-$300. The other suggestions above are nice too.

Certaindeaf
July 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
You could get an HK-4

http://www.weapon.ge/images/110_4.jpg

dogtown tom
July 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
Forget the clones and potmetal junk guns.........get the Baby Browning.

Certaindeaf
July 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
I like the safety on the Baby.

JERRY
July 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Beretta 950BS.

EmGeeGeorge
July 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
Beretta 950BS.
http://www.jgsales.com/beretta-950bs-25acp-semi-autimatic-handgun.-good-to-very-good-condition,-used.-p-7021.html

Bikewer
July 26, 2012, 05:25 PM
I remember trying to shoot one of the tiny little Browning .25s many years ago. The grip was so small I could scarcely get one finger around it and the sights were equally tiny...Almost impossible to see even with my then-younger eyes.
I did buy at one time one of those little Berretta tilt-barrel jobs in .22 short, thinking to use it as a "backup" gun.
Youthful foolishness.

jfrey
July 26, 2012, 09:26 PM
Colt 1908 vest pocket is definately the way to go. Mine is great.

Shawn Dodson
July 26, 2012, 11:48 PM
How 'bout a Seecamp .25 ACP (LWS 25)?

They're not made anymore but if you look around you can find one. Seecamp still provides product support.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__KONc6M3jls/S2kKnvUOTnI/AAAAAAAAA_Y/RUsVJkQs_I8/s640/LWSeecamp25+001.JPG

MICHAEL T
July 27, 2012, 12:04 AM
I was carrying my Beretta 950BS today It still get carried after all these years . Their a great little pistol I have the model 20 also . But Iam not thrilled with the thickness and the DA/SA trigger.

Bikewer
July 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
The old Jeff Cooper quote on the .25... "Carry one if it gives you comfort, but never load it. If you load it, you may someday be tempted to shoot someone with it, and they will become angry and do you harm."

Cocked & Locked
July 27, 2012, 05:52 AM
How 'bout a Seecamp .25 ACP (LWS 25)?

They're not made anymore but if you look around you can find one. Seecamp still provides product support.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__KONc6M3jls/S2kKnvUOTnI/AAAAAAAAA_Y/RUsVJkQs_I8/s640/LWSeecamp25+001.JPG

Nice looking little Seacamp pistol! No telling how many people as a daily routine have stuck a .25 auto in one front pocket and a three-blade stockman in the other. :cool:

SharpsDressedMan
July 27, 2012, 01:02 PM
Then you can get crazy and customize it. I did, then gave it to my brother. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05094.jpg

browningguy
July 27, 2012, 10:34 PM
Colt or Browning would be my choice. I have a Browning and also a Beretta 21 in .25, like them both but the Browning is such an elegant little pocket pistol (as is the Colt).

frankmako
July 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
Beretta Jetfire is the way to go.

GCBurner
July 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
The .25 ACP is more of a range toy, for me, than a serious backup gun, but it is fun to play with. I got a set of Lee dies to reload for it, to keep the cost down.
The one I have now is a F.I.E. Titan Model 27, also made as the Excam 27 and the Tanfoglio G27, manufactured in Italy by Tanfoglio, and assembled in the US. They made a couple of variations, one with a steel frame, and one with an anodized aluminum frame. Mine is all steel, with a blued finish. They are a very simple design, looking somewhat like an early Beretta, with a fixed barrel and a heel release magazine. Very inexpensive when they came out, I think I paid about $50 for mine, used, at a gun show 20 years or so back. It's sights are fixed, but it's capable of hand-sized groups at 10 yards of so, and functions reliably. It's cheap, but feels much more durable than the pot metal .25s from Raven or Jennings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhumXLn-dbA

JERRY
July 29, 2012, 12:00 AM
the old jeff cooper quote on the .25... "carry one if it gives you comfort, but never load it. If you load it, you may someday be tempted to shoot someone with it, and they will become angry and do you harm."

it still puzzles me how a man so intelligent could say something so stupid.

rob i
July 29, 2012, 09:51 AM
I'm definitely partial to the baby brownings, whether they are the original's from FN, or the current production models from Precision Small Arms.

I have the same brushed stainless model that Toivo has, plus a high polished stainless model, and a featherweight. They are fantastic little gems and just as nice as the originals. I would not however call them a clone. The PSA-25 IS a Baby Browning as they are fully licensed by FN to make them here in the states. The models they ship overseas are marked FN on the slide. A Bauer would be considered a clone as it was made without any licensing agreement with FN and made only a cast investment stainless steel version. I personally don't consider these to be on par with the original's or the current line out of Precision Small Arms.

Lenn Kristal, the president of PSA, did expand the line to include many different versions of this pistol that did not exist when they were being made by FN in belgium. They are all machined from bar stock, and have a high level of hand fitment and finish, which is reflective in the price of the pistol.

Here are mine, plus my original FN from 1964.

usp9
July 29, 2012, 10:06 AM
it still puzzles me how a man so intelligent could say something so stupid.

I agree. Why it is quoted has also been a puzzlement. "Brain Farts", no matter who produces them, should be allowed to disappear into the ether.

SharpsDressedMan
July 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
While it may not be an ultimate truth, I'm sure that being shot with a .25 often HAS had those results, too. Which makes the comment also humorous.

Jim K
July 29, 2012, 06:36 PM
The absolutely best made and most reliable .25 Auto was the Colt Vest Pocket; there are other good ones, but the Colt is the best.

As to the alleged Jeff Cooper comments, I have heard many versions of that, and IMHO anyone who really believes it is an idiot. ALL guns are dangerous and the .25 ACP will put a bullet into the heart or the brain just as surely as a .44 Magnum or a .454 Casull. And the recipient will be just as dead as if he were shot with a Bren 10.

Jim

SharpsDressedMan
July 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
Ah, if only guns put the bullet in the brain or the heart all the time! I love the .25, and it MIGHT kill if need be. But it just might aggravate an assailant more than he was if it DOESN'T hit the heart or brain. That was Cooper's point. Bigger guns anchor a person more when the two major areas are not given over to "incapacitation", and the bullet goes to a less lethal area of the body.

Cokeman
July 29, 2012, 08:16 PM
Ah, if only guns put the bullet in the brain or the heart all the time! I love the .25, and it MIGHT kill if need be. But it just might aggravate an assailant more than he was if it DOESN'T hit the heart or brain. That was Cooper's point. Bigger guns anchor a person more when the two major areas are not given over to "incapacitation", and the bullet goes to a less lethal area of the body.

So might a bigger gun.

Jim K
July 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
I wish I had met Cooper; I would have asked him to let me shoot him with a .25 ACP and see if he noticed it. I still say that people who believe they can be shot with any gun and not be hurt are drunks or fools.

Jim

Cokeman
July 29, 2012, 08:35 PM
These are all cool guns posted here, especially these two.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05094.jpg

What happened to the top of the mag? It looks like it was dipped in some sort of tarnish remover.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=169026&d=1343569207

Cocked & Locked
July 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
What happened to the top of the mag? It looks like it was dipped in some sort of tarnish remover.

Cyanide bath heat treat to restore tempering removed by bluing process. Common to see on early Colt magazines.

Carl Levitian
July 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
"it still puzzles me how a man so intelligent could say something so stupid."

The same way that otherwise intelligent people can keep on repeating the same stupid saying like a parrot. Independent thinking seems to be going the way of the dodo bird. It's easier to listen to guru's who just may be wrong.

toivo
July 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
Cyanide bath heat treat to restore tempering removed by bluing process. Common to see on early Colt magazines.

And it's how you can tell the original mags from the aftermarkets, meaning it represents a price bump of 100% to 300%, depending on condition.

toivo
July 29, 2012, 11:25 PM
+1 on the Beretta.
Yes, if you plan to shoot it much. I have a Beretta Jetfire and a PSA Baby Browning. They're both excellent little handguns IMO, but the Beretta is more shootable for me because I can get two fingers on the grip. The Baby is strictly a one-finger handgun: I can get my middle finger around the grip, and that's it. The size does make it more pocket-carryable, though.

bannockburn
July 30, 2012, 09:34 AM
1) Baby Browning
2) Beretta Model 950BS
3) PSA Baby Browning

Giterboosted
July 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
Haven't heard it mentioned yet but I'm very happy with my Astra firecat, it was based off The colt but Is slightly different, 7 yards bullseye, I'm sold

mavracer
July 30, 2012, 12:25 PM
"I wish I had met Cooper; I would have asked him to let me shoot him with a .25 ACP and see if he noticed it."
AS he pull's his 45 and says "you can try"

As to the OP the Colt 1908 and Baby Brownings are classic and timeless, but for a shooter I wouldn't rule out the Beretta Bobcat I have one in 22 and it's a fun little gun.

Bikewer
July 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
I've handled one shooting in my career which involved a .25. Hubby and wifey had been wrestling over the pistol, which discharged and shot hubby in the shoulder.
When we arrived, he was holding a handkerchief to the wound (which had ceased bleeding) and was on the phone to his lawyer.
He was holding the phone with the "shot" arm and was not noticeably distressed....

Then there's the oft-reported case where a woman in Chicago walked into a district police station and demanded her husband be arrested. "Why?" the desk sergeant inquired. "Because he shot me!" she replied, and promptly collapsed on the floor.
She'd been shot 7 times with a .25 auto, and had walked several blocks to the police station subsequently.
Much like the .22 rimfire (which some hold superior...) these rounds are killers, but not not much in the way of "stoppers".

Mike OTDP
July 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'd look at a Cz-45. The father of the Seecamp (and Seecamp, to their great credit, freely admit it).

jolly roger
July 30, 2012, 09:55 PM
As an LEO for 32 years I saw quite a few people shot quite dead with a 25. Seen one though that caught 3 25 rounds in his forehead that skipped off...of course I have seen that happen with 45 ball once too...and a guy who ran about 100 yards with an entire load of 00 Buck square in his chest...you just never know

All in all, seen 25 do a number more often than not. While I like Jeff Cooper he apparently never got shot with a 25. I like my Colt Vest Pocket...but I DO NOT carry it as prime CCW mind you.

Cokeman
July 31, 2012, 12:05 AM
Haven't heard it mentioned yet but I'm very happy with my Astra firecat, it was based off The colt but Is slightly different, 7 yards bullseye, I'm sold

Got a pic?

Giterboosted
July 31, 2012, 01:35 AM
I'll see if I can dig it up, did you mean of the gun or target? Cus I know I have a pic somewhere

2wheels
July 31, 2012, 08:46 AM
I saw a Colt Vest Pocket .25 auto at the gunstore just yesterday, $500 something bucks, really wish I had that much cash lying around... It would give me something to do with the box of .25 auto I've had on my shelf for months. But then again, if I DID have that much cash I would have bought the Colt Combat Commander right next to it instead.

Too many Colts... Not enough money...

wlewisiii
July 31, 2012, 09:07 AM
Sounds like the bug I have for .32's. After I get my Mauser HSc, I'll need to put a Baby Browning on the list too :D

If you enjoyed reading about "In the market for a .25acp. Suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!