I Messed Up, Need Ideas! Stuck BoreSnake

PDA

Noah
July 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
I know this is dumb :( but I have gotten a boresnake and a patch stuck in the barrel of my 5.45 Saiga immediately after the chamber.

I went to clean the gun, and, not paying attention, put a 12ga- sized cotton patch in the loop at the tail end of my boresnake. Used to a good deal of resistance, I didn't realize what I'd done until the loop and patch were very tightly lodged in the beginning of the barrel. :cuss:

I've been working at it for several hours but have not come up with any form of effective solution. I've tried (for 2 hours now) to pull it rearwards using needle nosed pliers, and have only succeeded in shredding the loose areas of the patch not tightly jammed with the loop in the barrel. I've also confirmed that there is no way that the obstruction is getting pulled out. I tried soaking the obstruction in gun solvent for a few hours but it seems to have made no difference. :fire:

The gun has a 16" barrel, and I've used the boresnake (both with and without a proper sized patch) before several times.

I need some input and help. I'm out of ideas. I thought of the possibility of burning the patch from the rear, but I don't know if that is at all a practical idea.

If you enjoyed reading about "I Messed Up, Need Ideas! Stuck BoreSnake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
docsleepy
July 26, 2012, 11:51 PM
what exactlyis the loop made out of ?

Noah
July 26, 2012, 11:55 PM
It's a green boresnake, I think it's nylon. As I said, IDK if I could burn the patch or not. The loop is made of the same material as the "snake" part of the boresnake.

http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_boresnakes.html

TexasPatriot.308
July 26, 2012, 11:57 PM
tie on to your pickup bumper....it will come out.

Noah
July 26, 2012, 11:58 PM
Could that damage anything? I'd go with the 1950 Ford tractor.

I'd be afraid that it would snap somewhere outside of the barrel, just making things harder. I've tried pulling it out by anchoring it to a piece of solid furniture, and I was bending a 2x6 with no progress.

JohnKSa
July 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
Is there enough accessible from the chamber end to thread another string through the weave of the boresnake? If so, you might be able to thread a cord through it and pull it out from the chamber end.

I also think you can probably pull it all the way through the direction it was already headed, but it won't be easy...

docsleepy
July 27, 2012, 12:01 AM
OK, dunno if this will work.

use convex (magnifying glass) lens to focus midday sun on center of patch (aligned carefully with bore so as to be certain focused beam will not heat metal) while keeping ice cubes around barrel throat external area.

Idea is to bore through to ther nylon ring and cut it or reduce volume such that it will go through.

must avoid heating chamber to ignition-like temperatures, as this might damage hardness of metal. Just enough to cause smoldering of cotton patch. (let the gun lube evaporate away overnight)

animator
July 27, 2012, 12:02 AM
maybe screw in a drywall screw into it and pull it out with some pliers... that was the first thing that came to mind :D Not sure on it's practicality...

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
The picture of the chamber is a horrible cell phone picture with bad angle and lighting, but it is at least worth a few words if not 1,000. There is no part of the loop exposed, only tightly packed patch.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:05 AM
I've thought of using a screw but was worried about scratching the chamber.

animator
July 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
The other suggestion is a steel cleaning rod from the muzzle end. It'll hammer out eventually... or break the rod.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:08 AM
Or scratch the rifling up...

chaser_2332
Get a wooden dowel rod and put in in the muzzle end leaving a few inches sticking out to tap on with a something rigid. It should come out with a few swift taps.

Texan Scott
wow... and cellulose is so resistant to non-polar solvents... tough one. can you cut the loop? better to lose the snake than the bore...

chaser_2332
July 27, 2012, 12:09 AM
Lesson learned........ Dont clean your barrel

Onward Allusion
July 27, 2012, 12:09 AM
Noah
I Messed Up, Need Ideas!

How far into the barrel chamber? Throat? If it isn't too far in, you can use a pair of forceps.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Forceps-Curved-Straight/dp/B000W1Y9YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343358576&sr=8-1&keywords=forceps

funnelcake
July 27, 2012, 12:10 AM
No way cotton or nylon set aflame for brief time would affect any metal tempering, etc. Douse it in something flammable and roast away. A bronze bore brush should clean out the aftermath.

Funnel

wyohome
July 27, 2012, 12:12 AM
Tap the muzzle end to 3/16" NPT, screw in fittings and use compressed air. Saw off 3/4" of barrel when finished.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:13 AM
Can't reach the loop due to packed patch in the barrel behind it.

I've been using forceps just like that, but can get no grip on the patch.

It is flush to the throat immediately after the neck in the chamber.

Would any molten nylon be possible to remove without damage?

snakeman
July 27, 2012, 12:13 AM
Do not put anything else metal in there. You'll only succeed in damaging your bore! Call your local smith he'll know how to get it out.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:14 AM
Tap the muzzle end to 3/16" NPT, screw in fittings and use compressed air. Saw off 3/4" of barrel when finished.

I lack the skill to do that entirely...

Moparnut
July 27, 2012, 12:14 AM
Oh man that sucks! The only thing I can think of is some sort of ram-rod. I would be afraid of messing up the chamber or the bore though.

wyohome
July 27, 2012, 12:16 AM
I lack the skill to do that entirely...
You have lots of barrel...practice, man!

Moparnut
July 27, 2012, 12:20 AM
Actually an air nozzle with a rubber tip seated on one or the other might actually bust it loose. Have u tried wd40 yet?

animator
July 27, 2012, 12:20 AM
Or scratch the rifling up...
Nope. Any good steel rod will be coated so that shouldn't be an issue. Or use brass if you're overly worried about it.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:23 AM
Do not put anything else metal in there. You'll only succeed in damaging your bore! Call your local smith he'll know how to get it out.

Time to find and make acquaintance with the closest smith then! Added to the to-do tomorrow....

If I got it started from the chamber with a dowel would it pull through more easily? It's only a 5.45 so any dowel would be a thin one. And the receiver prevents straight access to the barrel from the rear.

Is a sub 16" barrel legal?

I have few metal-working tools and this is my only semi-auto rifle, although I have a Hi-Point carbine for back-up defense at least, I'm not willing to risk modifying the barrel and ruining all accuracy permanently. I have lots to try before I'd do that, and I'd seek professional help instead of going there, sorry.

snakeman
July 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
A good carbon fiber rod might work or it might just pack it in there harder. I would try a good cleaning rod from the muzzle end tapping not pushing.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
I have access to an air compressor with such an attachment. Might work and couldn't hurt, thanks!

Because of the snake in the barrel, I'm concerned that a rod from the muzzle wouldn't fit. Even my air gun/ rimfire rod won't fit down the barrel with the snake in there.

FreddyKruger
July 27, 2012, 12:28 AM
fishing hook?

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
There is no room for a hook, unfortunately...

RPRNY
July 27, 2012, 12:31 AM
Wow, that sucks. Put o good deal of CLP down from the muzzle end and let it soak for a few hours. Then find a good source of compressed air - a Power Tank for refilling offroad tires would be ideal. Use the 'spray' nozzle wrapped in teflon or duct tape and hit it. If that doesnt work, burn it out.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:34 AM
Would a 150 PSI power tool compressor do? No clue what a truck tire compressor is like.

animator
July 27, 2012, 12:35 AM
An air fitting on the muzzle end is going to do nothing but blow air out of the gas port. Unless you plan on somehow blocking, and then unblocking it.

You'd have to pull the gas block off and clamp the port shut. I'm guessing that's probably more work than you'd be able to do. And is probably more work than is necessary. Cleaning rod will knock it out if you just give it a try...

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:39 AM
Ha! The gas port! Duh!

Man, I'm having detail issues today. First the 12ga patch. And now this.

cheeze
July 27, 2012, 12:40 AM
With the snake hanging out one end and a patch crammed in the other, I don't see how you would be able to seal the air pressure in enough to blow it out, and I doubt 150 psi would do it. If you could get it to seal, it would be worth a try though. I'm thinking you may need to heat it enough to soften the nylon snake but not enough to change the barrel. I think I would try forcing it through the way it started before doing much else. If that doesn't work, you'll break the snake and then you know it's time to go to plan B.

R H Clark
July 27, 2012, 12:41 AM
I would empty a shells worth of powder and ignite it to burn away the patch.The quick flash burn should not hurt your bore.The hardest part will be an ignition source. Fuses from fire works would likely work.You might have to do it several times and pick away the burnt pieces before it gets small enough to pull on through.

Onward Allusion
July 27, 2012, 12:41 AM
Brass screw tied to a nylon string/thin rope. Drive the screw into the bore-snake and pull out with the string/rope.

Snag
July 27, 2012, 12:42 AM
Always seems to me dry patches go in a bore a lot easier than ones soaked in fluid. I'd get everything real dry with a hair dryer or something then proceed further. Smaller jawed pair of needle nose, or perhaps a pair of forceps? Maybe a wooden dowel, force it back out the way it came? I half like the idea of lighting the patch on fire.

Texan Scott
July 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
Give it to a 6-yr old boy. Tell him that under NO circumstances is he to EVER remove that wad in the barrel.... come back in about 15 minutes.

ETA: be sure to ask how he did it. we'll want to know.

R H Clark
July 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
You might also fashion a small brass hook from a brass rod from a hardware or welding supply.You can get one from a knife supply if you have to.Brass will not be hard enough to hurt your bore.

Birdhunter1
July 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
Been there done that. Putting a rod down the bore, soaking in solvent, compressed air.. none of this will work.

The only thing that will is to pull it out backwards of the way it went in, which means a drywall screw and a pair of hemostats. I highly recommend taking an empty case and filling it with JB weld, drilling a bore hole through it to insert the drywall screw then turn it into the patch and pull it out.

If it gets messed up in the chamber it can be cleaned up with a reamer.

Good luck.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:53 AM
Well, at this point I think I'll let it dry overnight, try pulling it, then try pushing it, then try burning the patch.

Assuming simpler options don't work, would burning or a screw be a better choice?

R H Clark
July 27, 2012, 12:55 AM
Get a larger brass rod and tap the end with course threads and file a point on it.Bend the other end 90 degrees for a handle.Turn that into your patch and pull it out.

wyohome
July 27, 2012, 12:56 AM
How about a Dremel with a flexible shaft, a small bit and a steady hand. Keep increasing the size until it is diminished somewhat, then push it out.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 12:59 AM
I don't have tools to tap a rod or a Dremel.

I'm ok with tools but I'm no gunsmith. Converting this Saiga is by far the most advanced and expensive work I've done-- and I left the original fore arm and didn't thread the muzzle.

R H Clark
July 27, 2012, 01:09 AM
Now I have it!! Go down to home Depot and buy a brass wood screw and all threaded rod as large as you can and still have it fit in the bore. Stop by your local welding or machine shop and get them to weld-braze the screw on the rod.Also have them to heat and bend the other end for a handle. All together it should cost you less than $30.As long as their weld holds you are in business.

You could buy the larger rod and tap and do it as I first suggested and there would be no possibility of breaking it as long as you didn't twist it in half, but the rod and tap would be more expensive.

jim147
July 27, 2012, 01:51 AM
Take a piece of filler rod or even an old metal coat hanger and heat it red and burn it out of there.

I can't wrap my head around adding a patch to something that is a great big patch.

jim

fireman 9731
July 27, 2012, 02:54 AM
Stop adding fluid, that will only make things swell.

I would take off the gas tube, stick your finger in it to block the air and then use an air compressor from the muzzle. Make sure you have a tight seal.

A hot coat hanger to burn/melt it out sounds like a good idea too.

leadcounsel
July 27, 2012, 03:16 AM
Heat or cold, depending on swelling of the materials? Freezer or oven (just the barrel)?

I'd try a wood dowel and beat on that darn thing with a rubber mallet.

I also agree that maybe you just pour some flamable liquid on it and burn it out. Some temporary heat shouldn't damage the steel.

Remove the plastic stock though.

kingcheese
July 27, 2012, 04:24 AM
Bend a metal coat hanger and push it back out, heat and ice would temper the barrel and make it fragile, and i have got a question, why a patch?, i have broke a snake in a barrel before, your gonna need a rod to get it out

Lloyd Smale
July 27, 2012, 05:01 AM
Id trry soaking it real well with kroil or wd40 and then sitting it out in the sun till the barrel gets good and hot.

wickedsprint
July 27, 2012, 05:38 AM
Battery acid eats cotton. It also eats blueing.

wickedsprint
July 27, 2012, 05:40 AM
Give it to a 6-yr old boy. Tell him that under NO circumstances is he to EVER remove that wad in the barrel.... come back in about 15 minutes.

ETA: be sure to ask how he did it. we'll want to know.

This.

10-96
July 27, 2012, 05:53 AM
DO NOT put anything wooden in there. It can splinter, split, swell, and cause a whole other obstruction problem. It's a Saiga- so a solid brass or SS cleaning rod won't hardly effect anything either unless the crown gets damaged- but more than likely, all pounding from the muzzle will accomplish will be to pack bore snake tighter.

They make deck screws that are long enough to screw in just a tad, pull out, and repeat process until the fibers break up. Or, dig away at it with a scalpel type hobby knife.

Esoxchaser
July 27, 2012, 07:04 AM
A small electric or butane fired soldering iron will burn that patch out in no time.

Mr.510
July 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
I'd just use fire and burn/melt the snake out of there. The barrel is chrome lined steel. You have to heat most steels way past 1000 degrees and then cool them rapidly to screw up their temper. A Saiga barrel is not air-hardening tool steel so as long as you let it air cool it will be fine. No worries of too much heat if you just use a cigarette lighter for a minute. It's a Saiga, a little fire isn't gonna hurt it! :)

Centurian22
July 27, 2012, 08:10 AM
I agree with the heated coat hanger / paper clip to burn and or melt through the patch and or snake loop. Least chance of damage to anything else.
Good luck and report back!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 27, 2012, 08:26 AM
At least it's not a brass rod that, for the life of me, I can't get out.

~On The Road Again...~

G.barnes
July 27, 2012, 09:23 AM
like esoxchaser said a small butane torch or lighter will burn it right out of there. nylon is plastic covered string. it'll take a little to melt the plastic then the cord will burn and break. you will have to make sure all the plastic is completly cleaned out of the chamber

Noah
July 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

As to why I used a patch, I usually use a small patch when cleaning it as a visual indicator to show when the bore is clean. I got the snake along with the rifle a couple months ago and didn't like how there wasn't an indicator as to when the bore was free of residue (IE a clean or dirty patch). Using a 12ga patch instead of a rimfire one was just a dumb mistake born out of not paying enough attention.

Fish Miner
July 27, 2012, 09:40 AM
Twist. Take the top of the snake and start twisting. Twist the snake as long as you can and as the twisting compresses the snake, pull. this will work. Throw some oil in there if you want. But try twisting.

Franco2shoot
July 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
Two ideas,
First I would try the wooden dowel from the muzzle end. Second I would use a wine cork remover to get some of the nylon out. Ideally, you would want both approaches at the same time, but that involves several pairs of hands.

KKKKFL

Noah
July 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
Between my dad and I, we got it out after another hour of effort. We tried a lighter to heat it, tried heating some wire to burn it, tried getting a screw into the packed wad. The first and second didn't do anything for lack of heat, and the receiver blocked us from getting straight at the chamber from the rear.

What did eventually work was applying a propane blow torch to the chamber for near two minutes then playing tug of war with the boresnake and rifle. It came out, the patch mostly gone and the loop slightly melted at the very back. There is no visible damage. or even any visible residue.

After it cools a bit (barrel trunnion and beginning of the barrel are hot to the touch) I'll clean it. Too bad I can't use my convenient boresnake :evil:

At least I have a conventional cleaning kit :evil:

R H Clark
July 27, 2012, 11:24 AM
I would not use a wodden dowell.I've heard a bunch of stories of wodden dowels stuck in barrels.

bhk
July 27, 2012, 11:33 AM
Putting a patch in that loop is something I never heard of. Do others do this? I have used these snakes for 'quick cleans' for years and just assumed the loop was to be used (by those that wanted to) for hanging the snake on a hook or nail when not in use. I really don't think the manufacturer intended the loop to be used with a patch! Sounds like a recipe for disaster (as the OP is facing).

Noah
July 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
Using a patch in the loop was a mistake that I won't repeat. I wouldn't reccomend that anyone else does it either :o

The gun is cleaned, functioning, reassembled, and locked up back in the safe.

Snag
July 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
The gun is cleaned, functioning, reassembled, and locked up back in the safe.

Nice work. ;)

hang fire
July 27, 2012, 03:52 PM
End of a steel rod heated white hot and applied a couple times will burn the obstruction out.

ThePenguinKnight
July 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
This sounds like something I have been guilty of a couple (dozen) times. Mostly when working on vehicles of some sort, but all the same... :-P

I've used boresnakes for several years, and I always figured the loop was for increased surface area and tension to drag loose material and liquids down the bore. I tend to wet the loop on my last pass through, in order to apply oil to the bore. It is kinda annoying to not have a clean check, but most weapons that don't shoot milsurp ammo don't require that level of detail attention anyhow.

Owen
July 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't do anything that pushes on the bore snake. pushing on it will make it thicker.

Onward Allusion
July 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
What did eventually work was applying a propane blow torch to the chamber for near two minutes then playing tug of war with the boresnake and rifle. It came out, the patch mostly gone and the loop slightly melted at the very back. There is no visible damage. or even any visible residue.

Whoa...you may have permanently weakened your rifle's chamber.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
As long as he let it air-cool he should be okay.

~On The Road Again...~

Roadking Rider
July 27, 2012, 05:35 PM
The screw idea seems like it should work. I'd use a brass screw. If your careful you might be able to relieve some of the pressure on the material by drilling some of it out with a small drill bit.

animator
July 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
Not a chance in hell. Propane won't get hot enough to temper the metal, especially not an area as thick as a barrel chamber, and not for such a short duration.

It will be fine.

Something to think about - A 30-round mag dump in full-auto will heat a barrel up as hot or hotter than that propane torch will. A full drum will heat it enough to smoke the wood. In either case, the barrel is fine.

Noah
July 27, 2012, 07:56 PM

As long as he let it air-cool he should be okay.

Oh... I heated it until the finish was peeling and the color distorted then quick-cooled in a glass of ice cold coke.

Actually, it was only hot to the touch, IE I touched it and was fine. As the previous poster said, I've gotten it warmer with 2 mags spread out between 4 shooters and a duration of several minutes. I wasn't able to get the torch closer than about 1 1/2" from the chamber/ metal anyway. I let it air dry, took only a few minutes and it was cool to the touch. I'm not worried at all.

Onward Allusion
July 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
^^^
Then you shouldn't have problems, then.

robman8023
July 13, 2014, 05:45 PM
I had a solution that worked for me, and I joined this forum just to share it:

I had a stuck bore snake just like the OP, and I used a 12" long 1/8" Milwaukee Drill bit purchased at Home Depot. I GENTLY inserted the drill bit into the barrel, carefully and slowly twisting it to grab the fibers of the nylon rope. Once it bit, I pulled on it and withdrew a few fibers. My plan was to eat away at the fibers slow and steady until the snake broke loose or deteriorated completely. Luckily, upon the second round, it bit into the nylon, and didn't let go. I was able to pull the snake completely through the barrel without issue. In my case, it was stuck in an AR and I was able to cut the brass brush off the end of the rope.

The bit is about 12" long and cost $5 at Home Depot. It was a last resort, as I was reluctant to use a drill bit inside of the barrel for fear of marring it, but I was really careful and there appears to be no damage to the barrel whatsoever.

Hope this helps someone else in the future with the same issue...

Murphys Law
July 14, 2014, 12:02 AM
Lots of good possibilities have been suggested but I would try and contact the customer service dept. of the bore snake manufacturer and see if they have a recommendation. I"m sure your not the first to person to do something like this and they may have already worked out a safe solution.

Jim Watson
July 14, 2014, 12:14 AM
He melted it out nearly two years ago.

R H Clark
July 14, 2014, 12:15 AM
Well, I hope he has got it out by now.LOL

gamestalker
July 14, 2014, 12:56 AM
You could try putting some axle grease, hand lotion, or what ever will have some decent weight or consistency to it, down the muzzle. Then use a brass or wooden dowel with a patch wrapped around it to create a seal, then pound it out with a mallet, it should pop right out. Nothing will defeat hydraulics.

Another option, find a bullet that is relatively smaller than the bore, wrap a patch, condom, or something that will as well create a seal, and then tap against it with a mallet, or the like, with the same as above hydraulic effect.

One or two sharp hits should pop it out.

GS

gamestalker
July 14, 2014, 12:58 AM
I just noticed it was over 2 yrs. ago. Wow.

GS

Robert
July 14, 2014, 01:02 AM
Two year old thread that was taken care of then.

If you enjoyed reading about "I Messed Up, Need Ideas! Stuck BoreSnake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!