SAA Upper gas block loose

PDA

J_McLeod
July 27, 2012, 04:25 PM
I've had my SAA upper for about 8 months now. I took it to the range to test some new loads of H335 and 62gr bullets and most of the groups weren't even on paper. Then I noticed that the railed gas block wobbles from side to side. I'm disappointed in it, being so new and with less than a thousand rounds through it. Most of them low end handloads too. Is this something I can fix myself, or should I find a gunsmith?

If you enjoyed reading about "SAA Upper gas block loose" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam Cade
July 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
Is the gas block pinned or attached with a set screw?

If it there is a set screw involved there should be a dimple on the barrel under the set screw and the set screw itself should have some thread-locker on it.

If it is one of these:
http://www.surplusammo.com/surplus-ammo-arms-ar-15-single-picatinny-railed-gas-block-750/

There should be threadlocker on the screws.

J_McLeod
July 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
Is the gas block pinned or attached with a set screw?

If it there is a set screw involved there should be a dimple on the barrel under the set screw and the set screw itself should have some thread-locker on it.

If it is one of these:
http://www.surplusammo.com/surplus-ammo-arms-ar-15-single-picatinny-railed-gas-block-750/

There should be threadlocker on the screws.
It looks like one of those. There are two holes with what looks to be 1/8" pin or screw without a head in them. They are close together near the handguard end of the gas block. I could post a picture if it would help.

Sam Cade
July 27, 2012, 05:03 PM
If it is a clamp on gas block like that just remove the screws, apply thread locker and crank it back down.

Call SAA and let them know how annoyed you are.

If you enjoyed reading about "SAA Upper gas block loose" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!