Need help with gun-less inlaws.

PDA

Rickstir
January 31, 2003, 08:22 AM
Not a big problem I guess. Just wondering how to bring the subject up. My wife did not grow up around guns. She now shoots pretty well and talks with her mom about it. When she told here she was shooting at man sized targets her mother told her to "shoot for the groin". Caught us off guard to say the least.

The problem is that the in-laws live alone in the suburbs of a large city. It is a nice neighborhood but in today's times that really doesn't mean anything. My father-in-law has MS and is in a wheel chair and practically helpless. I don't think he has the muscle control to shoot. The mother-in-law weights 98 pounds dripping wet. I am just worried that they really don't have a way to defend themselves if something would happen.

Is it worth bringing this up? They accept that we have guns and travel with guns (can't carry yet but the legislature is working on it). So I am looking for ideas to bring up this conversation and get them starting to think about it. Any smooth talkers out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with gun-less inlaws." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thumbtack
January 31, 2003, 08:33 AM
Just let them know that you are worried about them and ask if they have the means to protect themselves.

Greg L
January 31, 2003, 08:38 AM
Frankly if they've never had any before now and they didn't come to you about getting one then I would just leave the issue alone. You've dropped the seed apparently if they know that you have them and use them while traveling, but if they don't make the first move to you then they aren't interested in applying it to their worldview.

Plant some more seeds when/where you can, but unless they come to you after making up their own minds about the issue then it probably wouldn't be in their best interests.

Greg

4v50 Gary
January 31, 2003, 10:17 AM
Of course it's worth bringing up. A used 4" 38 special would fit the bill.

Viking6
January 31, 2003, 10:26 AM
it's well worth mentioning. They seem like the type that could benefit from gun-ownership and practice. You would probably be doing them a disservice just to plop any kind of weapon doown on 'em or assist them in procuring the same without being able to effectively use one.

Also :"The problem is that the in-laws live alone in the suburbs of a large city. It is a nice neighborhood but in today's times that really doesn't mean anything. " ....and neighborhoods can change rather quickly. Goes back to my first point, the time to procure and learn is not when things go brown.

Good luck, either way.

10-Ring
January 31, 2003, 10:42 AM
Bring it up to them & express your concerns. Perhaps a good dog & alarm system w/ panic buttons will help. Maybe you can take your mother in law with you & your wife on your next session at the range...you may win over a convert.
Good luck

PATH
January 31, 2003, 01:01 PM
Nice and easy does it. I would go over it with the wife and let her lead the conversation. I would not push it though.

Archie
January 31, 2003, 01:36 PM
Start off with good locks on the doors and peep holes to see who's there.
Alarm system can't hurt, preferably one with a panic switch.
Pepper spray is a good measure for those who aren't ready for guns.

Nosey neighbors are always a blessing in terms of burglary or home invasion protection.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with gun-less inlaws." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!