Shooting left

PDA

MikeST
July 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hey folks,

Picked up a new 10/22 recently, just shot it in the back yard yesterday. At about 25 yards I need to aim about 1-2 inches right of the target to hit where I want. This is with iron sights.

I don't seem to have this issue with any of my other rifles, but they're all scoped... Sound like a common technique issue, or is this just something I should expect with inexpensive iron sights?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting left" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TonyAngel
July 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
The stock rear sight on the 10/22 is drift adjustable. Have someone else shoot it. If you get the same result, drift the rear sight to the right a little. Very little. Many things can affect the point of impact, including the brand of ammunition.

BCRider
July 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
Shooting off a bag rest or from a free standing position?

If you're shooting free standing perhaps the stock LOP or trigger grip doesn't fit you all that well compared to your other rifles and your posture is producing some side tension which is kicked in when the gun fires? I'd try it from a seated position with a bag rest first. If it's still out then it's simply that the sights aren't properly set up.

MikeST
July 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
My uncle seemed to hit right where he wanted. He's a pretty spectacular shot, and I trust he had the sight picture correct. Which makes me feel pretty bad.

BCRider
July 28, 2012, 01:19 PM
Don't feel bad, instead learn what you did wrong so you become better skilled.

Trent
July 28, 2012, 06:29 PM
Yup, don't feel bad. Chalk it up as a learning experience and figure out how to do what he does. Good news is ammo is so cheap for 22's that you can spend a LOT of time practicing. :)

Trent
July 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
PS, make sure when you're holding it you aren't "tilting" the rifle. This will throw your ballistic trajectory off a smidge. (Not a HUGE amount at short ranges, but a little)

Reloadron
July 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
My uncle seemed to hit right where he wanted. He's a pretty spectacular shot, and I trust he had the sight picture correct. Which makes me feel pretty bad.
You may want to note how your uncle shoots. Also, note dominate eye. While I am right handed I shoot left handed with a dominant left eye keeping my right eye shut. I only mention this because of how you mention your point of impact.

Check for your dominant eye. (http://homestudy.ihea.com/shootingskills/03dominanteye.htm)

Ron

Still Shooting
July 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
If the trigger pull is heavier than what you are used to, you may be compensating by shifting your pull point down onto your first knuckle, instead of having the trigger against the ball of your finger. If you feel the trigger resist just before it releases, and apply more pressure, that can move the shot to the left.

The_Armed_Therapist
July 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
Those on the left who shoot... A mighty small minority they are! :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting left" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!