Is Ten Rounds Enough?

PDA

PistoletCatfish
July 28, 2012, 06:12 PM
Normally for my home defense weapon I keep a Mossberg 500 nearby. I ended up last week giving it to my son, who had just gotten his own place, as a "house warming" gift :D

Now I have my old Russian SKS (stock config) for a home defense weapon. I keep it stoked with Hornady V-Max 7.62x39. I live out of town a ways and the only other person in my house is the wife, so I'm not too worried about over-penetration. What I am concerned about is magazine capacity. As you know, the SKS, in stock configuration, holds ten rounds. I don't really like those Tapco high cap ones, I just don't want one.

Is ten rounds enough? You know the old saying "better to have too much than not enough?" Do you think I could grow to regret only having ten rounds if something happened?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Ten Rounds Enough?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NG VI
July 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
Sure.

If you had a rifle with a detachable magazine I'd say there is no reason on Earth not to keep a twenty or thirty rounder in it, twenties especially are a nice size-endurance ratio.

PistoletCatfish
July 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
If you had a rifle with a detachable magazine I'd say there is no reason on Earth not to keep a twenty or thirty rounder in it, twenties especially are a nice size-endurance ratio.

My SKS has the standard, fixed, ten rounder. I don't really want to switch to the Tapco high caps just cause I like my rifle being in stock condition. But still...

The_Armed_Therapist
July 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
Wouldn't 10 rounds be more than you had with your Mossberg?

Why not keep a handful of loaded stripper clips next to the rifle?

Rey B
July 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
Sounds like a good reason to buy something new.:D

Texan Scott
July 28, 2012, 06:39 PM
Is 10 enough? I hope ONE is more than I'll ever truly need. I'm fairly confident that 5 or 6 will do the trick at 3 am in my laundry room. Am I willing to let some bureaucratic flunky or wishful-thinking politician 2,000 miles away from my home and community tell me what I can or can't have based on what THEY (in their infinite wisdom and utter lack of experience) think I 'need'?

NO.

(I actually no longer own a single firearm fed from a detachable magazine. That's NOT the point, and I think we all know it.)

Ar180shooter
July 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
10 rounds should be good, but keep an extra stripper clip on hand.

meanmrmustard
July 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Make your practice sessions count, and you may never need more than that ONE bullet. But, you have nine more in case...keep strippers handy.

Sam1911
July 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
Good heavens, if you're defending your lives in your home, and you're still firing after TEN rounds of rifle ammo, you either have taken care of the threat, scared the threat off, or at the very least should have managed to fight your way to a position of cover from the invading HORDE so that you can grab that extra stripper clip.

Based on reliability alone, as well as maneuverability and durability, I'd be quite happy to stick with the factory original magazine. If soldiers could fight wars with it, you probably can keep a burglar at bay with it.

Reloadron
July 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
I sleep just fine with a Colt Government beside the bed having an eight round Wilson Combat magazine in it. I have also slept just fine with my S&W Model 29 having six rounds in it. I doubt I would sleep any better with the AR beside the bed and a 20 round magazine.

Just My Take
Ron

fireman 9731
July 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
Buy some of the surplus Yugo ammo that is already on good stripper clips and practice using it some. 10 is plenty, especially if you are proficient with stripper clips.

mf-dif
July 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
Keep the extra clip with you in case the intruder brings friends with him. Although the sight of the rifle/first bang will probably send them scattering.

Another thing to think about is your plan if you would awake to an intruder. The length of the SKS could hinder your movement through your home if you had to engage the "bump in the night".

If you plan to hold up in a room until police arrive, then it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

jim243
July 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
In the middle of the night, struggling with stripper clips will not work, specially if you need more than 10 rounds. Stevens and Mossies are not that expensive, replace your 500 with another shotgun.

MSRP $260.00

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/stevens320pump

5 rounds of buckshot = 40 38 cal bullets.

303tom
July 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Is for me..................

jim243
July 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
Pick one??

Jim

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_1848.jpg

briansmithwins
July 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
In the middle of the night, struggling with stripper clips will not work, specially if you need more than 10 rounds. Stevens and Mossies are not that expensive, replace your 500 with another shotgun.

Or, one could say:

In the middle of the night, struggling with individual shotshells will not work, specially if you need more than 6 rounds. SKS's are not that expensive, get another one and keep it loaded too.

BSW

jmorris
July 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
As your post count is only 10 and most have been 7.62x39,10 should do it. I have to ask, why limit yourself to 10 rounds? The true answer is, if you ever run dry, you didn't have enough.

Ed4032
July 28, 2012, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a good reason to buy something new.:D
Mmmm..... new gun excuses. I like that. I like that alot.

Welding Rod
July 28, 2012, 08:58 PM
Absolutely not.

You should go out and buy a good AR and 10 or so 30 round magazines immediately!

Steel Horse Rider
July 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
Or deploy the bayonet! Seriously, I think reliability is one of the keys for a home defense weapon and I don't think I would trust an aftermarket magazine in an SKS. I have never yet (knock on wood) had either of my Yugo's or my chinese SKS misfeed on me with the stock configuration. If you need more than 10 rounds I would call it a firefight, not home defense....

14427H
July 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
My understanding is the FBI statistics for the "average" gunfight;

Average number of shots fired : Three shots

Average distance between participants : Three feet

Average time elapsed, first to last shot fired : Three seconds.

NeuseRvrRat
July 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
My understanding is the FBI statistics for the "average" gunfight;

Average number of shots fired : Three shots

Average distance between participants : Three feet

Average time elapsed, first to last shot fired : Three seconds.

source please

Milamber
July 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
Or another way to look at is, My primary is the Beretta .40 with 15 rounds, secondary is the Mossberg 590 with 8 shells and finally if we really get into it the AR with 30 rounds. Mmmm.... should be plenty, if it isnt there wont be much of my house left to bother defending it

Art Eatman
July 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
I figure that if a fella needs more than ten rounds in a social session, he has more problems than a lack of ammo. Not enough folks on his side of the argument, maybe. Or a severe lack of ability with the weapon.

wlewisiii
July 29, 2012, 01:40 AM
In the ignorant "Zombie" world, who knows?

In the real world? More than enough presuming you know how to shoot.

FWIW, my home defense rifle is a Winchester 94. Seven rounds of .30-30 170gr JSP.

leadcounsel
July 29, 2012, 02:28 AM
If the SKS is your rifle of choice, get a quality aftermarket fixed mag.

I have one in one of my SKSs and it works just fine. 20 rounds.

Inebriated
July 29, 2012, 02:39 AM
In my opinion? There's no such thing as "enough". If I could keep 3000 rounds in a gun, I'd do it lol.

But 10 is just fine. If you're comfortable with the rifle, and can work a stripper clip quickly, there's no reason you couldn't wield that SKS with authority.

RoyRogers
July 29, 2012, 02:51 AM
What are your potential adversaries packing? Can you be sure that they limiting themselves to a mere 10 rounds, and how many of them are you defending against? Perhaps take a cue from the way police, DHS, military and other .gov forces equip themselves. Do they limit themselves? They must know what they're doing. You'd be smart, and you have the right, to do no less for yourself, your loved ones, your community.

briansmithwins
July 29, 2012, 04:42 AM
If the SKS is your rifle of choice, get a quality aftermarket fixed mag.

Sorry, I can't agree with that.

If a SKS is what I have handy (for whatever reason) I'd rather have 10 rounds that I know are going to work vs 20 that may be problematic.

If you want high magazine capacities in a simple rifle, get a AK.

BSW

tryshoot
July 29, 2012, 07:30 AM
SKS is battle proven and very good home def. rifle as is. Would not change mag. 10 is plenty. Buy another 500 to set with it.

Sam1911
July 29, 2012, 08:21 AM
Perhaps take a cue from the way police, DHS, military and other .gov forces equip themselves. Do they limit themselves? They must know what they're doing. You'd be smart, and you have the right, to do no less for yourself, your loved ones, your community.

And that's all fine and good from a philosophical standpoint, but it isn't terribly practical. He's got a weapon and wants to know if that weapon is appropriate to face the threat he's preparing to face. (I.e.: a home invasion/burglary)

It is. As is.

If he someday finds himself preparing to fight in a war against many adversaries far from resupply points, maybe it would be more prudent to prepare himself as our military does. (Though, the SKS in that configuration has filled just that role very well, for decades.)

If you want a higher capacity military rifle, get one. If you're looking to defend your own life against the common types of unpleasantness that befall American citizens in their homes in 2012, a factory stock SKS is far more than adequate.

jmorris
July 29, 2012, 09:16 AM
He's got a weapon and wants to know if that weapon is appropriate to face the threat he's preparing to face. (I.e.: a home invasion/burglary) From that standpoint there are a number of better firearms for the job, even some that don't hold 10.

Sam1911
July 29, 2012, 10:05 AM
From that standpoint there are a number of better firearms for the job, even some that don't hold 10.

Maybe. He had a shotgun before. That's a pretty good one, most people believe.

But this is the weapon he has NOW, and it is more than sufficient for the role.

We get so hung up on the hardware. And the hardware just isn't that important. Pick something, practice up with it, and keep it handy.

Buying another weapon -- a large capacity auto pistol, another shotgun, an AR-15 w/ 30 rd. mags, a Howdah pistol, an M-79, whatever -- and thinking that NOW you're better defended is rather silly.

Robtattoo
July 29, 2012, 10:47 AM
Cheese & rice! 10 rounds should be PLENTY against your average intruder, I would've thought!

My own H/D weapon is the O/U 12 gauge I use for turkeys, doves & rabbits. I figure that if I can't 'dissuade' 'em with 2 shots, they can HAVE the damn TV!

jim243
July 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
I am going to get flamed for this post, but what are you defending yourself against. I don't know about your house, but the longest shot I can take in mine is 10 yards. With walls, funiture, doors, TV's and the rest of the junk we collect in our houses. You will be lucky to hit the side of a barn using a rifle inside, outside OK, inside you will need 50 rounds to hit anything with non aimed fire. I own a SKS, it would be my last choice for a HD weapon.

Get another shotgun no need to aim down the barrel with them.
Jim

(your target is not going to stand still so you can shoot it)

Sam1911
July 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
Get another shotgun no need to aim down the barrel with them.

Please, please don't repeat drivel like this. Or, if you're making a sarcastic comment, include the appropriate "smiley" so we can all laugh along with you.

You will be lucky to hit the side of a barn using a rifle inside, outside OK, inside you will need 50 rounds to hit anything with non aimed fire.Many folks (like me, just for one) do practice using long guns (both rifles and shotguns) inside structures like homes quite frequently. I personally find it easier to make quick hits at across-the-room distances with a handgun than a rifle or shotgun, but many people find the opposite to be true. Why in the world you'd use "non-aimed fire" is beyond me. A million rounds is hardly enough if you are not able to aim your weapon.

jim243
July 29, 2012, 11:23 AM
Please, please don't repeat drivel like this. Or, if you're making a sarcastic comment

No it wasn't a sarcastic comment, hip fire is an apporprate way of using that weapon. Try swinging a long gun around in your house and see if you can get a shot off (without hitting funiture) in time at a moving target before you are overruned. Handguns would be more approprate, but shotguns will work in a pinch.

Jim

Sam1911
July 29, 2012, 11:29 AM
No it wasn't a sarcastic comment, hip fire is an apporprate way of using that weapon. Well-practiced point shooting can be effective for some folks who've put the time into learing that skill. But that's a far cry from dropping the gun to your hip and blasting away.

Try swinging a long gun around in your house and see if you can get a shot off (without hitting funiture) in time at a moving target before you are overruned.Do it all the time. Not actually in my home, because this is live-fire practice/competition. It just isn't that hard to use a carbine or small-to-mid-sized shotgun in a structure. Seeing as there's more stuff (chairs, tables, couches and such) down at hip level in your home than there is up at shoulder height, I don't see how the argument even makes sense.

jim243
July 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
A 16 or 18 inch carbine is useable, but a SKS would be much more difficult to sight in a target in the short amount of time that you actually would have within a house at short distances of 10 or 15 feet. (can it be done, yes - should it be done, I don't know)

I also shoot IDPA and would have no problem with a handgun but would feel more comfortable with a shotgun in a SD/HD that would last 15 to 30 seconds max.

But that's just my opinion.
Jim

Sam1911
July 29, 2012, 01:14 PM
An 18" AR-15 carbine is about 37" long. An SKS is 40" long. A 20" barrel Mossberg 500 or 590 is 41" long. Much ado about nothing.

Like I said, I happen to prefer handguns as well, but that's because I practice with them 100 rounds to 1 over long-guns. My personal skill set favors them.

Thats the key -- skillset. Hardware questions are largely a distraction from the factors that will actually save your life.

KansasSasquatch
July 29, 2012, 01:26 PM
Shooting from the hip, even with a shotgun is not a good idea. To begin with, it's not accurate at all, unless you practice it which most people probably dont. Second if someone is close enough that they might think about rushing you in your home, hip firing puts you in a weaker defensive stance. With your hands down by your hip/side, you won't have them up to defend yourself from any hand or knife strikes to your head or vital organs. "Point shooting" from the shoulder is a more feasible mix between being in a defensive posture and being able to make a quick shot. It should definitely be practiced at close ranges. And not aiming a shotgun, you have to remember that they dont exactly get the kind of spread in a house that movies tend to make people believe.

Elkins45
July 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
I figure that if a fella needs more than ten rounds in a social session, he has more problems than a lack of ammo.

I think that's especially true with 10 rounds of RIFLE ammo. This isn't a .380 pistol we're talking about here. Load it with modern, expanding bullet hunting ammo instead of FMJ surplus and you can statistically assume 10 COM hits=10 guys on the floor. 7.62 hunting ammo has roughly the same KE as the old 30/30 and it's been bringing down 150-200 pound mammals for over 100 years with one well-placed shot.

It just isn't that hard to use a carbine or small-to-mid-sized shotgun in a structure.

Especially if you don't do something brave like go wandering through your darkened house in search of somebody else with a gun. I have a full-length shotgun in my bedroom (28" barrel) but that's not a problem because I NEVER plan on leaving the bedroom with it. My long gun strategy is to crouch behind the cover of the mattress and point my shotgun over top of it toward either the door or window as appropriate. Maneuverability isn't an issue if you don't maneuver.

Ditchtiger
July 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
A 16 or 18 inch carbine is useable, but a SKS would be much more difficult to sight in a target
Jim
sight in a target.
No one know how to point and shoot at close range?

788Ham
July 29, 2012, 06:05 PM
"Is ten rounds enough?" Man, if you need all of those rounds, you'd best go to the range a little more often! 10 rounds of .22 should be enough. Are you wanting to kill this person outright? Cripple him? Chop him to pieces? Think about the 12 jurors in the courtroom, you'll have to convince them why you needed all 10 rounds, not me!

Warp
July 29, 2012, 06:12 PM
10 rifle rounds out of a rifle is a pretty formidable tool. Sounds like it will most likely be plenty for almost any HD situation.

Ohio Gun Guy
July 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
I think 10 is good, if there were a few stripper clips nearby. Keep a bread bag with you'r sks and 30-50 rounds in it. Like the others say, statistically less than 10 will do....but wouldn't that suck if you ran out. :eek:

And for what, a few dollars worth of stripper clips, 20.00 worth of ammo and a 10.00 canvas bag.

mokin
July 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
No.

Buy 2000. Preferably in stripper clips. Sew a small pouch that will accomodate two ten round stripper clips and will fit on the stock a la the M-1 Carbine. Find a place to shoot the SKS and go through the remaining 1,800 rounds, at different ranges, from behind barricades, try hostage rescue targets, silhouette targets(mix it up), etc. Have a lot of fun. Practice loading the SKS with the stripper clips. A lot.

An SKS in stock configuration is good to go.

LAK
July 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
The integral 10 round with stripper clips is one of the best sytems around in my opinion.

Firstly, if you are prepared, have a plan - or three - and know what you are doing, the life expectency of even ten goons rushing into your home is very low.

If for any reason you find yourself in a firefight the 10 round stripper clip system is easy and quick to utilize.

Not having a banana appendage sticking out under your rifle is an advantage in some firing positions and in proximity over objects and prone over certain contours of ground.

BluedRevolver
July 29, 2012, 07:24 PM
No.

Buy 2000. Preferably in stripper clips. Sew a small pouch that will accomodate two ten round stripper clips and will fit on the stock a la the M-1 Carbine. Find a place to shoot the SKS and go through the remaining 1,800 rounds, at different ranges, from behind barricades, try hostage rescue targets, silhouette targets(mix it up), etc. Have a lot of fun. Practice loading the SKS with the stripper clips. A lot.

An SKS in stock configuration is good to go.

This^ is what I'm gonna do! Ordering two thousand rounds now!

bigdipper
July 29, 2012, 07:31 PM
My HD weapon is my double barrel 12 GA with 3 inch birdshot i know that it would be a killer anywhere in the close quarters of my house but my thoughts with a defence gun was allways that they were suppose to intimadate so you dont need to fire so as long as its clear you have a gun and that you are willing to use it. Dont know if this is everyones thoughts but thats just my 2 cents

Warp
July 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
No it wasn't a sarcastic comment, hip fire is an apporprate way of using that weapon. Try swinging a long gun around in your house and see if you can get a shot off (without hitting funiture) in time at a moving target before you are overruned. Handguns would be more approprate, but shotguns will work in a pinch.

Jim

Aiming is good.

My HD weapon is my double barrel 12 GA with 3 inch birdshot i know that it would be a killer anywhere in the close quarters of my house but my thoughts with a defence gun was allways that they were suppose to intimadate so you dont need to fire so as long as its clear you have a gun and that you are willing to use it. Dont know if this is everyones thoughts but thats just my 2 cents

I always figured the point of the gun was to stop a violent attacker as quickly as possible. I also always figured that relying on them to just change their minds and run away immediately at the site of a gun, while it would be great, isn't something to rely on.

And birdshot is for birds, it isn't all that great for people

Sam1911
July 29, 2012, 08:13 PM
My HD weapon is my double barrel 12 GA with 3 inch birdshot i know that it would be a killer anywhere in the close quarters of my houseBirdshot has way too many well-known drawbacks to be used for defensive purposes. It is an acceptable performer on birds and clays. It is not so good on larger targets and under challenging conditons.

... but my thoughts with a defence gun was allways that they were suppose to intimadate so you dont need to fire so as long as its clear you have a gun and that you are willing to use it.If you don't have a valid cause to be FIRING that gun, you'd better not be BRANDISHING that gun, either. (Threatening somewone with a firearm without justification sufficient to shoot them, provides them with all the justification they would ever need to lawfully defend themselves against YOU!)

Intimidation is a bad, BAD plan. If you draw that gun, you'd better be ready and justified to shoot it. If things are that bad, your shot had better be as effective as possible.

skoro
July 29, 2012, 08:34 PM
Yep.

Unless you're defending your place against a squad of commandos. :uhoh:

LouisianaGunner12
July 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
If it came down to me having to brandish a firearm, my attacker is going to be shot. I'm not going to stake my life on my attacker's psychological predisposition.

Sam1911
July 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
Isn't 1 round enough?

Sure. One gallon of gas is enough, if it gets you where you're going. Might be nice to have a little extra. Don't need to take out the back seat of the station wagon to bolt in a spare 100 gal tank just to get to work, though.

Warp
July 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
Isn't 1 round enough?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I sure as hell wouldn't count on it.

I might even say "probably not".

PandaBearBG
July 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
10 rounds is enough if YOU think it's enough. Regardless of caliber or weapon choice or ammo capacity, If YOU feel confident in your abilities with 10 rounds with your choice of home defense weapon in a high stress, worst case scenerio situation then it shoudl be enough. If not practice alot more or choose a different firearm that suits your abilities and situation.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Ten Rounds Enough?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!