Henry 17hmr varmint express...sell me/talk me out of it

PDA

TheRyno865
July 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
So first off i am a rimfire junkie and i have a strange love for the 17hmr. i have 2 bolt guns both Marlin and i want the henry varmint express. the only thing i dont have is a solid review to go on and whether the +$400 price point that i frown upon. so someone on the thr please help me determine what the best course of action would be for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Henry 17hmr varmint express...sell me/talk me out of it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jeepmor
July 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Best course of action is to simply buy it. If you don't like it, you can always get rid of it. I mean, it's Henry, how classic can you get.

TexasPatriot.308
July 29, 2012, 09:19 PM
I've shot a few .17hmrs, but my Savage 93 still outshot them all.

tryshoot
July 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
My Savage shoots great also, but a golden boy is as pretty a gun that has ever been made.

Davek1977
July 30, 2012, 02:30 AM
My father owns one, and while I haven't shot it a whole lot myself, his certainly seems VERY accurate, and he's never had an issue of any kind with it. I don't know if its a testament to the rifle or his shooting ability, but I've seen him take prairie dogs with it...using open sights....at ranges that surprised me.

Dr. Sandman
July 30, 2012, 09:19 AM
Life is short, my friend. Buy it today!

GooseGestapo
July 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
I'm not real keen on the Henry's for accuracy.
Had a .22mag that was a "stinker". I dumped it. I'd won it in a pistol match and had no "skin" in it... I didn't like all the "plastic" it had on it...

If you wan't a seriously accurate "varmint" rifle in .17hmr, get either the Savage or Marlin b/a's with a bull bbl.
My Marlin 917V is accurate enough I can see differences in lot#'s of ammo. I've got two boxes of Federal branded (all .17 is loaded by CCI) that will approach 1-hole at 100yds if the wind is calm....
I sighted in a "frontier" model Henry .22mag for an individual who'd had a Nikon 4x scope mounted on it. (blue/aluminum reciever w/octagon bbl). Though it shot much better than the one I had, it was still a 1.5" gun @ 50yds.... Some call that accurate, but I have a Remington M597 that is near MOA at 100yds with ammo it "likes".... so.....

loose noose
July 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
Stick with the Savage! Use the $400+ to buy ammo.

Sniper66
July 30, 2012, 10:18 AM
Have a friend who bought one and it would not shoot straight...poor accuracy. He complained to the factory and they asked him to send it back. He did, at his expense, and they returned it saying they could find nothing wrong. He is a masterful hunter and shooter, so knows guns extremely well. He gave up and traded it; I think for a lawn mower.

BBQLS1
July 30, 2012, 12:34 PM
I've not shot one, but to me you need a scope to take advantage of the .17 HMR. As much as I love a lever gun, I'd opt for the Savage for a .17 HMR gun.

Tentwing
July 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
I cant believe I missed this thread.

Well I'm not gonna be able to help talk you out of it because I love mine. Now I am a sucker for lever actions, so that factors into my fondness for my Varmit express.

Henry provides a rail to mount a scope on that comes with the rifle. I set a simple Nikon 3x9x40 on top of it ; had it zeroed in after about 10 or so rounds at 100 yards, and have not had an issue since in the past 3&1/2 years.

It holds 12 rounds in the tube mag and if you cant cover all 12 with a nickel at 100yards then it is because I ( the shooter ) didn't do my job. Be aware that the 17gr bullet does not buck the wind well though.

Mine likes seems to like Winchester and Hornady 17gr V-max best. It has quickly become my favorite squirrel rifle. ( head shots only anything else and your just wasting meat and accuracy;) )

An added bonus for the lever action junkie in me is that all 3 of my Henrys are easily the smoothest lever actions I have ever used.:)

I hope this helps , and I hope you love your new Henry.....Tentwing

One_Jackal
July 30, 2012, 11:05 PM
I can cut a big fart and blow a 17hmr 2" over. All jokes aside, the 17hmr is super accurate on a calm day but it doesn't take much wind before you need a marine sniper to figure windage at 75 yards. If you ever want to sell it you won't have buyers beating down the door. Your Marlin is the best platform to shoot a 17 hmr from.

If you enjoyed reading about "Henry 17hmr varmint express...sell me/talk me out of it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!