Range revelation

PDA

checkmyswag
July 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/aee5c3d5-d15a-a28e.jpgI've been struggling to figure out why I have been shooting my 9mm Shield so much better than my full size M&P.

Well today I really focused on sight picture, trigger pull and even breathing and I was still not shooting great. Not nearly as well as the Shield or an SR40 I had.

I have the M&P with the safety which I prefer. I read where some guys shoot it like a 1911 with their thumb on top of the safety. I shot mine that way and could never get nearly the groups I could with the Shield. Anyways today it dawned on me to shoot with my thumbs in a normal position off the safety and the image shows the results. 17 rounds at 21 feet. Not perfect but I am very happy with it.

So it wasn't the trigger or sights. It was my technique. I was about ready to sell the gun or put a trigger and/or new sights on it. Maybe this will encourage someone else to shoot more to improve technique and not just buy new gear to solve the problems. Looking forward to making the groups even smaller.

Would still like some new sights but so glad I put in the range time to fix the problem behind the gun first.

Watch your lane.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range revelation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FireInCairo
July 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Could you explain clearer how your thumbs are placed when you did this?

Someone said to kinda point your thumbs towards the target. Is that what you mean?

checkmyswag
July 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
Right. That's the typical move. To generally have your thumbs along the from pointing generally toward the target or if you need to even near the slide slightly upwards off the slide.

I didn't have an issue doing this with my SR40 as it has a small safety. With the big fat safety on the M&P I thought id go like 1911 guys and be on top of the safety. This should also encourage me to be high up on the gun. In practice though I was torquing the gun while firing with thumb on the safety lever.

To answer your question more directly. Yes. Generally lay your thumbs on each other along the side of the gun where it makes sense for you. With different gun and hand sizes we've all got to customize a bit.

Watch your lane.

9mmepiphany
July 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
This should also encourage me to be high up on the gun. In practice though I was torquing the gun while firing with thumb on the safety lever.
The key to accurate shooting, if you choose to place your thumb on the thumb safety, is to just rest it there...you shouldn't be pushing down on it.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/grip040.jpg

When running a 1911, correct technique is to have your thumb riding the thumb safety...don't be tempted to put your thumb under the safety...you just need to learn not to press on it
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/grip056.jpg

PabloJ
July 30, 2012, 12:57 AM
For single-handed rapid fire that is actually acceptable group. For accurate and precise shooting the panacea is S&W 952 with match grade ammo. That way you will be able to shoot tight
groups at 75 feet.

checkmyswag
July 30, 2012, 08:50 AM
9mmepiphany

Thanks for the photos. That makes sense with the thumb just resting there vs applying pressure.

PabloJ

Ha, sad to report this wasn't rapid/one handed fire, but slow aimed shots. Am very happy with knocking the center out of the target though. The 952 looks like a great gun but I imagine its much heavier than the M&P. I do like the S&W third generation pistols a lot though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range revelation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!