WTB A cheap deer rifle in alaska. Thinking mosin nagant m44. Any other suggestions?

PDA

bhhacker
July 29, 2012, 11:19 PM
I am looking for a rifle that is relatively inexpensive that can be used to take deer and the larger critters here that want that deer for themselves. Lately ive been thinking a bolt action 7.62x54R would be perfect for taking deer especially since here in juneau im not taking shots over 100 yards.

What do you guys think? Are there any other alternatives or do you agree that the m44 would be a good match for what im looking for?

If you enjoyed reading about "WTB A cheap deer rifle in alaska. Thinking mosin nagant m44. Any other suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jpwilly
July 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
I think a Mosin for Alaska would be a good rifle. BUT the M44 has such a short barrel. The only issues I'd have with one would be the muzzle blast and the bayonet if you need short Mosin get an M38. If hunting (and shooting) without hearing protection I'd stay away from the M44 or M38. Maybe an M91/30 would be a better fit?

rookorami
July 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
They are definitely sturdy rifles. I have a 91/30 myself. The muzzle flash on the shorter ones is well... impressive!

gp911
July 30, 2012, 12:14 AM
You could shoot the deer, run up to it, skewer it with the bayonet, then roast it with the fireball when you fire the next round! Honestly, it will do the job just fine but you need to sight it in because poa/poi changes drastically with the bayonet deployed versus folded and these guns aren't known for supreme accuracy so you'll want to take the necessary precautions. I think with soft points that round would devastate a deer. The prices are going up on M44s, approaching a Stevens 200. In which case I'd get that in .308 instead due to the wide variety of ammo available.

snake284
July 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
I think a Mosin for Alaska would be a good rifle. BUT the M44 has such a short barrel. The only issues I'd have with one would be the muzzle blast and the bayonet if you need short Mosin get an M38. If hunting (and shooting) without hearing protection I'd stay away from the M44 or M38. Maybe an M91/30 would be a better fit?

If you can find one a better choice would be a Yugo Mauser. If you want to sporterize it there are far few issues that with a Mosin. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mosin. But in my opinion, it's purly a Mil Surp. For shooting and hunting in Alaska, the Yugo is much better. And an 8x57 is a great cartridge. And if you hand load it's even better.

Also, if you want to make a cheap sporter, you can do it for less than $300. It cost me $243 and some change. He bent the bolt(so it clears the scope) he drilled and tapped the receiver and milled down the bridge where the stripper clips feed, he installed a Timney Sporter Trigger and adjusted it for about 2 pounds pull, he installed a Beuler Safety (which like the bolt, also clears the scope). He installed an aftermarket firing pin spring (to decrease lock time, thereby improving accuracy), and also removed the rear sight assembly from the barrel (Another scope clearing issue). This price included a set of Redfield style mounts. I put it in a Boyd's Pepper laminate stock and bedded it in. I put a Vortex Diamond Back 4-12x40 scope on it and it is my go to hog rifle. I left the mil surp barrel on it in 8x57 mm Mauser cal. Like I said, less the scope and stock it cost me $243. and change. But you don't have to put it in a stock or even put a scope on it.

ShadowsEye
July 30, 2012, 01:08 AM
If you're planning on using optics I would skip the Mosin and go with an entry level 30-06 or 308 hunter. You can get a brand new Savage with glass for less than 400 bucks and it'll be a hell of a lot lighter and more pleasant to lug around the woods.

caribou
July 30, 2012, 01:57 AM
My brother and his sons use open sighted Mosin's to great effect aways away from you at Sitka.

My nephews declare they are perfect..........like I do :D

mljdeckard
July 30, 2012, 02:06 AM
Nothing wrong with it, but if it was me, I would eat mac and cheese for a month and see if I could find a decent .308 in a pawn shop.

ColtPythonElite
July 30, 2012, 02:12 AM
X2 on spending a few more bucks on a used hunting rifle...Optic mounting will be easier and the safety will likely be more user friendly.

Centurian22
July 30, 2012, 02:17 AM
I have no exp with Mosins yet but really want to get one. What I have for hunting in Maine is a Savage Axis XP .308 that came with a 3-9x40 Bushnell scope for $329 on sale at Cabela's. It holds 1" @ 100 yards no problem, is light, reliable, consistent and didn't break the bank.

Good luck in your choice, and in hunting.

bhhacker
July 30, 2012, 02:25 AM
@Caribou

Did they use the shortened mosin or the standard long one?

caribou
July 30, 2012, 05:26 AM
My bro and his second son use M91/30's, my bro a little (bad leg) my nephews alot. His oldest son to a shine to Mosins and has an M-44,M39 and lately, and M-28. I think the M-44 is used sans Bayonett, but great sucsess has been had with both.

From the pictures I belive EVERY shot was under 100 yards

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/318654_219330714806231_100001879111990_530682_26732728_n.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/392806_220715744667728_100001879111990_534455_261806619_n.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/383918_220707664668536_100001879111990_534449_1195564753_n.jpg

I might add that my bro and nephews are crazy about accuracy, and the oldest son, shown in the pictures has found his most accurate shooting with his M-39, its accuracy and reliability are worth the extra weight that will square your shoulders while you carry it along . Its all good.

henschman
July 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
Yeah, Mosins are cheap and all, but you could get SO MUCH of a better rifle for that purpose for just a little more. If I didn't have much money and I wanted to buy something to take deer hunting, I would get a Stevens 200 in .308 and slap a Weaver 1-3x scope on it, or something along those lines.

Cosmoline
July 30, 2012, 02:00 PM
A good Mosin will do all you need to and then some. And no you don't need optics so long as your eyes are young or you have sufficient guile to make up for old eyes. I've carried a variety of Mosins around AK and some Mausers. The Mosins, esp. 91/30's, are easier to tote and better balanced in the hand. I also like the way they shoulder better than Mausers. And of course with 8x57JS you have the terrible SAAMI restrictions that keep domestic made rounds downloaded to .30-30 levels.

As an extra point, I love the Mosin safety for Alaska. It's a very reliable safety. I've had a C&L Mosin fly off my shoulder when I fell on a bridge, go over the railing and land on the rocks below with no ill effects and no discharge.

One_Jackal
August 1, 2012, 02:09 AM
+1 for M31/90. I want to be able to remove the bayonet easily. The longer barrel is helpful. If you are even dreaming of tangling with a bear get at least a 300mag. President Roosevelt did kill a grizzly bear with a 30/06 but he had a guide and porters to back him up. Up close and personal with a wounded grizzly I would feel better with a 12ga Mossberg 500 loaded with 3 inch magnum slugs.

meanmrmustard
August 1, 2012, 07:39 AM
91/30 oooorrrrrrr...K31 if milsurps are the rifle of interest.

Prosser
August 1, 2012, 08:17 AM
Lots.
First find something that has rounds at .18 cents each, right now. 440 rounds, 85 bucks.
It's light, it's easy to carry, and the trigger isn't great, but passable.

First, define 'cheap'.

August 1, 2012, 10:35 AM
Have a few and like them all. One is "bubba'd" up with bent bolt/etc. If you use new ammo you will greatly reduce the "fire ball" and noise level. Their ballistics are similar to the '06/308. In milsup ammo I greatly prefer the light ball. In hunting a 150 gn SP over medium powder will put 'em where you want 'em. I have a few Boxer primed brass cases that I treasure for hunting and use the "disposable" for blasting--just wear ear protection--lol.

One_Jackal
August 8, 2012, 12:51 AM
If you do choose to hunt in Alaska with a Mosin-Magaint get decent ammo. Brown Bear 203gr soft points are $10 a box. They shoot good in my Dragoon. There is a huge difference between the hunting loads and the spam box ammo.

I am shooting with open sights. I have no problems hitting a paper plate at 150 yards. The serial numbers completely match on my gun. The gun had very little wear on it. The contact points where the bolt latches in the receiver showed no wear. It still took a lot of work to get the action real slick.

Will the Mosin Magant do every thing you want to do? Yes!! Do you want to do all the things required to get a good Mosin - Magant?

Here is a good guide to help you find a decent Mosin to start working on: Underrated Mosin Nagant (http://www.chuckhawks.com/underrated_mosin-nagant.htm)

lefteyedom
August 8, 2012, 01:50 AM
Get a carbine,
Remove the bayonet ect

Clean the heck out of it.

If it groups well then leave it alone.:)

Spend your money on High quality binoculars.

IF it doesn't:banghead:

Have the head space checked,

recrown the barrel

Up grade the trigger.

glass bed the action....

It should groups well now

Then if you want to

put a scout scope on it.

replace the stock

BCRider
August 8, 2012, 02:58 AM
As much as I love my Mosins I feel that a modern rifle would be a better choice.

First off the Mosins are made thick and heavy on purpose to come out intact despite ugly conditions and wartime style rough use. So the stocks are far thicker and heavier than they need to be for any manner of sporting rifle. Do you really want to carry around about 5 or so extra pounds around ALL the time?

Second is that some of them need a serious amount of tinkering to cure the dreaded sticky bolt problems that plague them. If you need to get a second round chambered in a hurry and you happen to have one of the guns which is a bit stickier than most this could prove to be a serious issue.

So all in all I'd be looking for a lighter synthetic stocked rifle with a slick handling bolt...

fatcat4620
August 8, 2012, 08:52 AM
Aim has chinese type 53 rifles for $120 if you want a cheap carbine but a real man would use a mosin 91/59.

goon
August 8, 2012, 09:52 AM
I second the recommendation of going with the M-39. I've shot some 91/30's that were pretty accurate shooters but the M-39's I've owned were definitely the most accurate and most finely made military rifles I've ever owned.

meanmrmustard
August 8, 2012, 08:52 PM
Get a carbine,
Remove the bayonet ect

Clean the heck out of it.

If it groups well then leave it alone.:)

Spend your money on High quality binoculars.

IF it doesn't:banghead:

Have the head space checked,

recrown the barrel

Up grade the trigger.

glass bed the action....

It should groups well now

Then if you want to

put a scout scope on it.

replace the stock
If it STILL doesn't group well...put bayonet back on!

One_Jackal
August 9, 2012, 08:14 AM
If cost was no factor in the OP's buying decision he would not be considering a Mosin Magant. He would just go order a Browning BAR II Safari Grade, semi-auto 30/06 and be done with it.

gbeecher
August 9, 2012, 10:26 AM
I would be hard pressed to recommend any other rifle other than the Mosin-Nagant. The carbine M38, M44 and Chinese T53 would probably be handier in thick woods. I have an 1891/30, made in 1933 at Tula. I've shot some 210 rounds of 203 grain soft-point, both lacquer and zinc coated, and not had a single failure. The more I shoot the Mosin, the more I love it! :)

geo57
August 9, 2012, 11:18 AM
A Mosin M44 for deer ? What are you, nuts ? It would never work and be a very poor choice.....

This was the 3rd whitetail I've harvested with mine, the other two being meat bucks for the table. All three were taken with Privi Partizan 150 gr. SP . The combined travel distance all three went after being shot was less than 10 yards.

BTW, a Mosin 91/30 seems to fill a freezer with venison too. ( S&B 180 gr SP )

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to go with.

Frogman
August 9, 2012, 11:47 AM
For the cheapest surplus - Mosin - for commercial - Savage is unbeatable.

denton
August 9, 2012, 04:27 PM
If you can find one a better choice would be a Yugo Mauser.

Yes. You can get a Yugo for around $200. And the 8x57 is a fine cartridge. Loaded with 200 grain bullets at 2600 FPS, it's also very nice for the occasional bear or meese.

Still, I'd look for a commercial rifle, maybe in 30-06. If you shop, you can end up with something very usable for under $300, probably including some kind of decent scope.

jason41987
August 9, 2012, 05:09 PM
i know everyone thinks that because mosin nagants are bolt actions, they must be accurate, not true, mosin nagants were not very accurate bolt actions, you would be better off going with a newer bolt action or find something based on the mauser actions... but i think youd better off finding a new entry-level rifle in the $250-$300 range in .308

also, 7.62x54R is expensive ammo to find, and usually when you find it its cheap ammo

geo57
August 9, 2012, 06:02 PM
Quote :
jason41987

" i know everyone thinks that because mosin nagants are bolt actions, they must be accurate, not true, mosin nagants were not very accurate bolt actions ..."

Try telling that to just the 247 verified kills sniper Vasily Zaytsev dusted off himself and the estimated 1000 -3000 kills his 28 sniper students accounted for in WW II not to mention the tens of thousasnds the regular troops took with them. Is it a bench rest rifle ? No, but many shoot just as well as many commercial production rifles . If a rifle's bore or especially it's crown is damaged it might not shoot well and it makes no difference if it's a 60 year old surplus rifle or a 2 week old commercial rifle.

You go on to say that 7.62x54 ammo is " expensive ammo to find ", but then say when it is found it's cheap. To me that is the definition of contradiction.

Regardless, 7.62x54r ammo simply isn't hard to find and quality hunting ammo from Privi Partizan costs a few dollars less than a typical box of .308 Rem, Win, or Fed. from Wal-Mart. Many hunters successfully use steel cased Brown & Silver bear soft points which cost about half of what those Wal-Mart .308 shells do. Offerings from S&B, Win., Wolf Gold and others are also priced comparibly with those from stores & online outlets.

jason41987
August 9, 2012, 06:09 PM
i said the ammo found is cheap, i didn't say it was inexpensive, meaning low quality, usually by wolf

One_Jackal
August 9, 2012, 06:15 PM
When the mosin-magant was designed, it was designed to be sighted in at 300 yards out of the box. After properly sighting in my Mosin-Magant I have no problems hitting a paper plate at 150 yards with open sights. 9 out of 10 Mosin Magant owners have never actually taken an aimed shot with it. They never adjust the sights. Then they shoot surplus ammo that is NOT designed for target shooting.

dprice3844444
August 9, 2012, 06:17 PM
try to buy something very light and easy to find ammo at the gun stores.remember,weight is an issue if yiour walk hunting in the woods.

geo57
August 9, 2012, 06:22 PM
jason, while Wolf does make 7.62x54r, it is the absolute bottom of the barrel stuff IMO , and even it works fairly well. Wolf Gold is made by Privi IIRC and an entirely different animal than Wolf. In any case there are many different offerings from several sources that are much more common. As far as being of low quality, all of the makers I listed above are easily found , make fine hunting ammo and kill oodles & scads of big game here and abroad every year.

denton
August 10, 2012, 12:30 AM
My experience with Russian Mosins is that they do about 4" groups at 100 yards. That is enough for deer hunting within 100 yards.

The Finnish Mosins are a different story. Many of them are sub 2" at 100. But those cost more coin.

Usually with a little care, the Yugos will do 2" at 100. The problem with them is that the sights are set up for long shots, and many of them will be quite high with the factory sights. That's easily fixable, but it's one more step.

BTW, I reload for all of the above.

The full-length Mosins are pretty heavy. The M44 is lighter, but I'd still think seriously about cutting and grinding off the bayonet lug to lose a few ounces of steel if I still had one.

If the objective is the least expensive thing that will put venison in the locker, then the Mosin is the ticket.

If you just enjoy shooting milsurp, and want a gun that is a lot prettier than a Mosin and more amenable to upgrades, then a Yugo 24/47 or an M48 is the ticket.

If you want something that is lighter and more accurate, then I'd look around for a good used Savage or one of the newer entry level rifles. Here is one possible alternative: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=21012609&cat=377&lpid=1&search=savage

Another choice that has not been mentioned is the bolt action 30-30s made under the Savage and Stevens names. They can be had for under $200, they are 2" or so shooters, and completely satisfactory for deer inside 125 yards or so. They are also low recoil, and a lot of fun to shoot. I shoot cast lead in mine, which makes them also very cheap to operate.

lefteyedom
August 17, 2012, 03:02 AM
I try never to do this, repost in a thread....

If you really want the best value for your dollar the Mosin or any milsur is not it.

A good used $250+-, commercial rifle chambered for 30.06 with a scope is your best bet.

A used 110 Savage can be had for less than $250 often under $200 FTF.

The range of game that the 30/06 can harvest is frankly antelope to grizzle bears.

For $125, Mosin are good rifles, but a $250 used Savage is many times a better hunting rifle.

While cheap is good, good is not always cheap.

caribou
August 17, 2012, 03:17 AM
You can hunt with a Milsurp, or any other rifle that is accurate, no matter who made them.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Mosin Nagants can be as accurate as any other rifle in teh world, and thats a fact written in blood. Useing a milsurp of a commercial rifle is a matter of taste, what you want to put into it and what you expect out of it.

I make a living useing a Mosin Nagant, and in the Arctic, its perfect......great power, great bullets, the stocks and handguards are wood to keep the barrel from freezing to your hands in winter, no scope to fog or break, a cleaning rod to clean the crud outta the bore, anywhere, be it sand, snow or fouling, great balance, easy to get the trigger 'perfect', reliable and durable. In an emergency I can shave woood from the stock to start a fire, and unlike composite or plastic, the stock wont freeze to your cheek at -40f, and at that temp, when you pull the trigger, it will go "Boom!" unlike many commercial rifles or semi autos.

Simo Hayha used a Mosin go achive the highest sniper confirmed kills ever, plenty have been to the olympics and the Hunters of teh Chukchi Sea and Bering straights use them for everything from Walrus to Bears.

goon
August 17, 2012, 12:55 PM
Caribou - I take it that decent ammo for the Mosin is available in your area? What about M-39's and 91/30's? What kind of price range are we talking about to lay hands on one in Northwestern Alaska?

The Mosin has a lot going for it. I'm familiar with them... I'd use one for hunting and general rifle type purposes.

caribou
August 17, 2012, 07:08 PM
I use an M-39, its a '42 Sako and my sons both have 91/30's.

I use FMJ's, they are legal and I buy them by the case. let NONE tell you tey are ineffective, as all die quickly before them. Russian 70's ammo is up to snuff accuracy wize and the bullets tend to tumble makeing great wound paths and bone smashing.

Other ammo, such as soft points are available, and bulk ordering everything from fuel to food to ammo is the Alaskan way, especcially in the bush.

Adam123
August 18, 2012, 07:44 AM
I have a scoped M38 that groups very well and is nowhere near 4" groupings... more like 1.5" groups.

One_Jackal
August 18, 2012, 01:05 PM
I use 203 gr Brown Bear SP ammo in my Mosin-Nagant. Ii is a 200 yard shooter. I wouldn't try any further cause I am blind. I did a lot of work to my mosin-magant shooting well. I am not going to put a scope on my Mosin-Nagant. It's a good rifle for rough trips. Why beat up a $950 rifle in tough places? Everyone needs a beater!

If you enjoyed reading about "WTB A cheap deer rifle in alaska. Thinking mosin nagant m44. Any other suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!