About to buy a Sig 220 in 45... info needed

PDA

griff383
July 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
I have been on the fence about owning a 45 for some time and decided to go for it. Never had a thing against the 45 round just had other interests until now. I have shot several different 45's (including 1911's) in different shapes and sizes so I know what I like now. Im trying to gather information about the 220 and anything anyone can offer would be appreciated.

It will mostly be a range toy, but will probably find its way into CC rotation during the colder months. Im going to buy used to save some money so is there anything to watch out for? Also, what price range am I looking at?

If you enjoyed reading about "About to buy a Sig 220 in 45... info needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chez323
July 30, 2012, 11:43 PM
The Sig p220 is a great gun , accurate and reliable and solid as a rock. Mine is a full size somits a little bug to cc. I picked up mine used for $500 with extra mags and 2 holsters which I sold off. Ended up costing me a little under $400. They can be had for around $400-500 depending On condition and what comes with it. I just did a quick search on the Sig forum but nothing good on there at the moment, same with PAFOA(2 of my favorite sites). If your patient a deal will pop up sooner or later. Good luck

Rock185
July 31, 2012, 12:22 AM
Since the mid-late '80s, I've owned at least three; standard alloy framed DA/SA, all stainless DA/SA and one of the match versions, SA/DA , alloy frame, with 5" barrel and Bo-Mar style adjustable sights. All were excellent. There are more variations available now days, DAO,DAK, SAO, shorter barrels, finishes, etc. My experience with my P-220s was positive, never an issue, that I can recall, with any I owned...ymmv

sniperlongshot
July 31, 2012, 12:30 AM
i have three 220's, a west german, german, and a combat elite with threaded barrel, that i like so much i got a yankee hill supressor for it...........they are great guns, my wife almost threw a kimber at me because of the recoil, but she finds the sig very managable, as much of a 1911 fan that i am, i'll stick with the sig even over my xdm45.

it may or may not be the gun for you, but it's not a bad gun by anymeans.

9mmepiphany
July 31, 2012, 01:36 AM
I also have three. My old alloy framed, folded slide W. German 220 served as my duty gun and off-duty carry for some years. They are very accurate...as accurate as any 1911 at comparable price levels...and more reliable with less maintenance.

To maximize reliability, I'd go with a folded slide internal extractor model or a milled slide external extractor model.

I also prefer the factory (Mec-Gar) stainless 8rd magazines without the indention designed to retain the top round to the rear...I actually prefer the ACT-Mag to the factory ones

CharlieDeltaJuliet
July 31, 2012, 04:01 AM
The P220 is a great all around pistol. I trust my life to mine everyday. I have a standard rail P220 and love it. I CC mine everyday. The great thing is it eats everything I feed it, while its slimmer profile fits my hands better than a P226.

10-96
July 31, 2012, 05:05 AM
For those of us who already own one, it's hard to imagine anyone not loving the things right from the git-go. I bought mine (W. German) used and would not trade it for a whole truckload of speckled pups! The pistol has what feels more like a much more controllable rearward push, than a flip of many 1911's. The initial double action is manageable, but once broken in- the single action is truly amazing. It's short, light, and fast- fast as in you will very likely be able to shoot much faster than you can get back on target if you don't practice a little control and discipline.

Field striping, cleaning, and general maintenance is a breeze. Just a tad of light oil on the rails, guide rod, and shiney areas on the barrel is enough to get you by just fine.

2wheels
July 31, 2012, 08:41 AM
If I couldn't get a 1911, a P220 would definitely be my first choice for a .45 pistol. I fell in love with my fathers Carry version, though if I ever get one for myself it'll probably be SAO.

wickedsprint
July 31, 2012, 08:43 AM
Like a 1911, they're heavy given their capacity. Good ergonomics and accurate. I'd prefer a Glock 21.

rodinal220
July 31, 2012, 04:48 PM
I own a few P220s.All have been flawless in functioning and reliability.Very accurate platform.All my P220s are older folded slides with the removable breech block.
The older Sigs with the blue type finish wasn't all that great and needed some care to keep from rusting.Easy to service from an armorers standpoint.Mine only required routine spring changes.
I too had excellent service from Mec-Gar mags before they actually started making them for SIG,have a few of the old zipper back SIG mags.
I like the older classic SIG P series compared to the newer railed models,but I'm old school.
Excellent weapon.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
July 31, 2012, 05:17 PM
I had the choice of any pistol when I got mine(wedding gift from my wife). I had handled and shot almost every pistol in the same class. I already owned 1911's, so the P220 was a no brainer for me. I did not want a composite weapon. I wanted a DA/SA pistol, and I personally love a .45. For a carry pistol I wanted a hammer. It shoots like a dream. I love the 9 round capacity(8 in the mag one in the pipe). While it is not for eveyone, it has become my favorite pistol for carry. I trust Sig and their products 100%.

FMF Doc
July 31, 2012, 05:18 PM
It's my favortie .45ACP under $3200. It is a soft-shooting, accurate and incredibly reliabe gun. I have loved every one I have shot. If I shot .45ACP enough, I would get one!

chris in va
July 31, 2012, 05:27 PM
I didn't like mine, especially when used during competition.

Skinny grip, single stack mag, hard DA pull, tall bore axis, fiddly decocker controls.

However, it was decent for carry and ate everything in the six years of ownership. I much prefer my CZ 97b and scores in IDPA proved it works better for me. Better than the Glock 21sf in fact.

The Man With No Name
July 31, 2012, 09:29 PM
My favorite autoloading .45's I've owned have been (in this order) Les Baer, Sig P220, HK USP, and Glock 21. That also follows with how accurate they were for me with the Sig only a hair behind my Les Baer which cost close to three times more.

griff383
July 31, 2012, 10:55 PM
Wow lots of information, thanks for all the help and shared experience.

From what I have gathered I think I want one of the older folded slide versions. Now I need to keep my eyes open and find some lonley 220 a new home.

JTQ
August 1, 2012, 07:56 AM
The late Mr. Camp had planned a long term test comparing the old style with the new manufacture Sig P220. Unfortunately, he passed away before completing the test.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/LongTerm%20Observations%20and%20ShortTerm%20Hopes-SIGSauer%20P220.htm

silversport
August 1, 2012, 08:23 AM
...I agree with Mr. Camp's findings as they mirror my own experiences with both new and old SiGs of the P220 and P series in general...but for some of the models with a lot of fluff (fluff some want or need but others do not) I think you couldn't go wrong with either...

Bill

Odd Job
August 1, 2012, 08:52 AM
I recently tried a SIG P220, a Springfield Armory 1911 Stainless and a Glock 21 in Florida. I was expecting the SIG to be the best and the Glock to be the worst. I found out (for my hands) the 1911 and the SIG had grips that were too skinny. I expected less perceived recoil with the heavier 1911 but that wasn't the case.
The Glock was the best of the three. It matched the SIG for accuracy but beat it for ergonomics (mainly the double-stack grip contributed to this) and had the mildest perceived recoil. The 1911 was the worst, I couldn't find any redeeming features and would pick the SIG over that any day.

And that was an eye-opener for me because I have disliked Glocks for many years.
I have had to completely rethink my opinion on Glocks, especially since I had a very good experience with a G26 after that...

WRGADog
August 1, 2012, 10:14 AM
Great gun, dead on accurate, and superbly reliable. I removed the aluminum grips and replaced them with Houge rubber grips. The gun is very comfortable to shoot. One of my favorites.

SwampWolf
August 1, 2012, 04:39 PM
I like my Model 220 Carry with the internal extractor and milled s/s slide and alloy frame. I carry it comfortably and well-concealed in a couple of iwb holsters I like. A very reliable and well-made pistol indeed.

GCMkc
August 1, 2012, 07:02 PM
I have a W.German P220 with the alloy frame. It also has the "euro-style" magazine release on the bottom of the frame. I definitely like it but don't shoot it that often. The single action pull is flawless and has a nice reset. Wish I had the factory box. They are great guns. I really want to buy one the dark elites. :drool:

griff383
August 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
Anyone know where I can find one? Been looking and can't seem to find the one that has my name on it

DylNger
August 12, 2012, 01:05 AM
I absolutely love mine (Made In W. Germany version). It's extremely accurate out to at least 50 yards. I used to go shooting with my brother and sink leaves floating down the river from 40 yards up the river bank. It got to where it was almost automatic that I was going to hit every leaf I pointed at. BTW there's no way a round could have skipped out of that river and hit anyone. The banks were too high. I even shot at a butterfly flying down the river. I missed it by about half an inch. They are accurate.

I do think they have a little to high of an axis which leads to too much barrel flip compared to other .45's I own. I have a much lighter .45 that seems to have less recoil because it recoils straight back. I've certainly seen pistols that had more barrel flip for sure and the Sig is not so bad I can't manage it.

I did have to replace the recoil spring after I had shot mine about 15000 rounds. Now it works perfect again. Don't buy any of the 10 round mags. They don't work so well in my experience. I do wish it held more ammo but it's an older design when there were no double stacks. I really like the grip on this pistol myself. But everyone is different there. I've got about 5 or 6 mags for mine though so capacity is just a matter of carrying a lot of extra mags..

The SA trigger pull is fabulous. The DA pull isn't. But I like the setup where I can carry it in half cocked mode without resting the bolt against a round. I've never even heard of there being a problem with carrying that way. I practiced cocking the pistols as I drew it from my holster and I got pretty quick at doing it.

I have several pistols now but the Sig was my only carry pistol for many years. I bought it used with some holster wear and not too much shooting wear so I'm guessing it was a carry piece for a local LEO. I paid $550 for it about 12 years ago or so. I've seen them for the same price several times since then so it must have been the price listed in the books. I haven't seen one for sale lately. I have actually been thinking about selling mine though. I've got it in my head to sell several guns and get a P210 Legend. That is one fantastic pistol. But then so is the P220 and I'm not one to sell something I really like. I know I would end up regretting it.

EAJ
August 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
Very pleased with my P220 Combat. :)

http://www.ptdoityourself.net/collection/images/sig220_02.jpg

LTR shooter
August 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
Owned a German made P220 , bought new around 1995. Quite possibly the most accurate out of the box semi-auto centerfire handgun I have ever fired. One that I should have held on to!

rookorami
August 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
I purchased a P220R in March and I love it. Its accurate and I have had no problems with it. It has the night sights and all. I love the DA/SA.

WRGADog
August 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
One of the most accurate guns I own. I did take the aluminum grips off and replace them with Houge wrap around rubber grips. This is one of the most comfortable guns to shoot that I own.

stinger 327
August 13, 2012, 11:34 PM
I recently tried a SIG P220, a Springfield Armory 1911 Stainless and a Glock 21 in Florida. I was expecting the SIG to be the best and the Glock to be the worst. I found out (for my hands) the 1911 and the SIG had grips that were too skinny. I expected less perceived recoil with the heavier 1911 but that wasn't the case.
The Glock was the best of the three. It matched the SIG for accuracy but beat it for ergonomics (mainly the double-stack grip contributed to this) and had the mildest perceived recoil. The 1911 was the worst, I couldn't find any redeeming features and would pick the SIG over that any day.

And that was an eye-opener for me because I have disliked Glocks for many years.
I have had to completely rethink my opinion on Glocks, especially since I had a very good experience with a G26 after that...
Is the G-26 a 9mm? What caliber is G-26?

stinger 327
August 13, 2012, 11:35 PM

Sig also makes the 1911 now too along with other manufacturers.

stinger 327
August 13, 2012, 11:43 PM
Owned a German made P220 , bought new around 1995. Quite possibly the most accurate out of the box semi-auto centerfire handgun I have ever fired. One that I should have held on to!
I don't know if this is true but I had heard that the old P-220 are of higher quality over the new P-220 in that Sig has slipped a little in their quality. They are very expensive in the $800 range brand new for the P-220. Their 1911 Sig is even more.
But I have also heard that this P-220 is the most accurate gun you can get that shoots right out of the box.
I was on the fence between the Sig P-220, Sig 1911, and the Rock Island Armory .45 ACP. All of these are in .45 ACP but the RIA is the best bang and least expensive to get into the 1911 neighborhood. Probably in a situation like this one gun won't do it for me so I would need to get the RIA 1911 .45 ACP and the Sig-P-220 both of which are of totally different designs 1911 single action only and P-220 SA/DA.
That Sig 1911 is over $900 too much for me but is so beautiful that I would probably be afraid of scratching it or getting it dirty shooting it..

FMF Doc
August 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
Find a good condtion German made one and never look back.

tarosean
August 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
The stock grips are slippery. That's my only complaint

Fatelvis
August 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
Great pistol! I like mine for the ergonomics, accuracy, reliability, and second strike capability.

allaroundhunter
August 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
Is the G-26 a 9mm? What caliber is G-26?

Yes, it is their subcompact 9mm offering.

Sent from my HTC One X

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 12:12 AM
Yes, it is their subcompact 9mm offering.

Sent from my HTC One X
I got the G-23 which is the smaller of the G-22 model and it is very unpleasant to shoot as the recoil is very sharp. I don't know if the recoil would have been better with the larger G-22 instead but I liked the size of the G-23 not knowing that it kicked like a mule and explodes in my hand-OUCH.

allaroundhunter
August 15, 2012, 12:16 AM
I got the G-23 which is the smaller of the G-22 model and it is very unpleasant to shoot as the recoil is very sharp. I don't know if the recoil would have been better with the larger G-22 instead but I liked the size of the G-23 not knowing that it kicked like a mule and explodes in my hand-OUCH.

I prefer the recoil of the G23 compared to the G22, personally, but I don't like the recoil of any .40 S&W if given another option. It is quite a snappy round, and I just don't have enough time to practice with it and become accustomed to it.

You should consider trading your G23 for a G19 (same size frame, 9mm caliber)

Sent from my HTC One X

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 12:24 AM
I prefer the recoil of the G23 compared to the G22, personally, but I don't like the recoil of any .40 S&W if given another option. It is quite a snappy round, and I just don't have enough time to practice with it and become accustomed to it.

Sent from my HTC One X
But I already have an old Glock 17 I bought in 1987 which is a 9mm.

allaroundhunter
August 15, 2012, 12:43 AM
Deleted.... Getting too off topic

Cocked & Locked
August 15, 2012, 08:01 AM
Makes me feel like a better shot than I actually am...constantly. :scrutiny:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/392216138.jpg

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 10:54 AM

Sent from my HTC One X
Doesn't the G-23 have more recoil than the full size G-22?

allaroundhunter
August 15, 2012, 01:01 PM
Doesn't the G-23 have more recoil than the full size G-22?

The G23 fits my hand better so no, it didn't feel like it had any more, but it didn't feel like it had much less either. When you are only talking a few ounces, you probably won't notice a difference. I just flat out shot the G23 better. You can go rent a G22 and ammo for about $15 and see for yourself, but that has been my experience with the two platforms. I feel the same way about the G19 vs. G17

Sent from my HTC One X

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 01:19 PM
The G23 fits my hand better so no, it didn't feel like it had any more, but it didn't feel like it had much less either. When you are only talking a few ounces, you probably won't notice a difference. I just flat out shot the G23 better. You can go rent a G22 and ammo for about $15 and see for yourself, but that has been my experience with the two platforms. I feel the same way about the G19 vs. G17

Sent from my HTC One X
Same situation here the G-23 felt better in my hand. I just didn't expect that kind of snappy recoil.

powder
August 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
If money is an issue, look for a used 220 at around $400-500, keep your eyes peeled for a deal on a SIG 220 parts kit ($20 is a decent deal), have a SIG armorer do the swap, clean, re-grease/oil. GTG for another 5000 rounds.

allaroundhunter
August 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
I just didn't expect that kind of snappy recoil.

That's just the .40 S&W round for you

stinger 327
August 17, 2012, 12:45 AM
Makes me feel like a better shot than I actually am...constantly. :scrutiny:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/392216138.jpg
How does the Sig P-220 fare against the Sig 1911?

allaroundhunter
August 17, 2012, 01:44 AM

Neither is more accurate than the other IME. It is a personal preference sort of thing. I prefer a 1911 manual of arms as opposed to a TDA gun, but that is just me.

Sent from my HTC One X

stinger 327
August 17, 2012, 02:10 AM
:confused::confused:

Patch Delta
August 17, 2012, 07:43 AM
Had a P220 Carry Elite SAO. Reliable, accurate and fantastic trigger. Just too heave to EDC.

Cocked & Locked
August 17, 2012, 08:27 AM

I do not own a SIG 1911 so I can't make a comparison between the two.

powder
August 17, 2012, 08:46 AM

As far as what is concerned, and which 1911 SIG?

I have a traditional TAC OPS 1911 and love it, but it outweighs the regular P220 by about 14 ozs., IIRC. ...and that gets to another SIG point-choices.

The Classic 220s line has grown to somewhere around 15-20 models I think; carry, compact, match, and the regular P series.

griff383
August 17, 2012, 10:04 AM
If money is an issue, look for a used 220 at around $400-500, keep your eyes peeled for a deal on a SIG 220 parts kit ($20 is a decent deal), have a SIG armorer do the swap, clean, re-grease/oil. GTG for another 5000 rounds.

This is exactly where I am headed, I have found a few locally to help keep costs down but not under $600. I can be patient and wait for the right deal.

My boss came into work one day with an old P220 and asked me to clean it for him since he knows I have an ultra sonic cleaner. I looked into it and found out they are fairly easy to work on, with the proper tools of course. I completely stripped it down and after some frustrating moments got it back together properly. So I know how to get into these things already adn can do the work myself

powder
August 17, 2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah, shoot me a PM with 220 in the title, so I can reference it later with your bargain heads up PM back to you, later on.

stinger 327
August 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
As far as what is concerned, and which 1911 SIG?

I have a traditional TAC OPS 1911 and love it, but it outweighs the regular P220 by about 14 ozs., IIRC. ...and that gets to another SIG point-choices.

The Classic 220s line has grown to somewhere around 15-20 models I think; carry, compact, match, and the regular P series.
Both pistols in their standard model.

silversport
August 17, 2012, 01:36 PM
Neither is more accurate than the other IME. It is a personal preference sort of thing. I prefer a 1911 manual of arms as opposed to a TDA gun, but that is just me.

Sent from my HTC One X
I do and believe this is a good assessment...and the P220 weighs much less...I don't prefer one over the other at the end of the day...some things are better in one but they both are nice IME...

Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "About to buy a Sig 220 in 45... info needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!