Second guessing my AK buy, some reassure me

PDA

JHenry
July 31, 2012, 02:21 AM
Well i bought a milled mak-90 the other day for 950, but im sort of second guessing the price. The rifle is in very good condition the only real blemishes on the finish are under the dust cover and a slight scratch on the FSB. Other than that its all matching and it already has the ironwood stock set on it. From what i figure(based off what has been realistic values) a milled Mak-90 that hasnt been shot to be hell(rifling is very nice in mine) goes for around $700-750 with the thumbhole stock. The IWD set is about $120 or so last i checked, and whatever 4th part they replaced to make it 922r compliant. IMO i paid a fair price $870 plus sales tax which came out to $950.

The main selling point for me was the milled receiver which i drool over, it just looks 20x better than the stamped.

Anyways offer your opinions. Pics on request

*and the importer stamped on the side I D E MCLEAN VA, ive checked a few sources and as far as i know no importer was ever located there so thats a bit of a mystery to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Second guessing my AK buy, some reassure me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasPatriot.308
July 31, 2012, 02:28 AM
think you overpaid, but come the next gun scare, around and or after the election, you can get your money back and then some.

JHenry
July 31, 2012, 02:40 AM
well thats the other thing, i dont see the prices going down in the near future, and i dont really plan on selling it, just checking to see how far off the median price i was.

Either way im happy with it and all and i had been hunting for an ak for the past year and this was the first one i came across that had the "i gotta buy this feeling"

Plus considering the cost of other milled ak's it doesnt seem like it was that bad.

RX-178
July 31, 2012, 06:28 AM
I'm not going to say you overpaid, just that you probably could have gotten the same deal for less money if you waited, and/or searched around. That doesn't mean you didn't get a decent deal on it, especially if it's the rifle you WANT.

Baba Louie
July 31, 2012, 06:42 AM
If a milled receiver is what you wanted, you did fine. It is yours now to have and to hold and it will always be worth that amount or more. Already 922'd w/ ironwood... oh yeah, I'd say some photos would be appreciated. ;)

Getcha s'more more magazines, and a slew of ammo and tell us how well that heavy little china doll shoots.

JHenry
July 31, 2012, 07:11 AM
well i graduated last may and took all the money i was gifted to buy a rifle, and i always liked the AK. Ive been looking for one ever since, which amounts to 7 or 8 gunshows i believe. And this was the first time the gumps gunshows had ever had a mak 90, previous to that was a bulgarian import(cant recall the model) for $850 i think. Other than that it was Arsenals well above $1000 and wasrs.

I bought 60 rounds early today and will fire it ASAP, i might set aside 5-10 rounds for grouping but no promises :D

and ill go take some pictures now

OARNGESI
July 31, 2012, 07:31 AM
you got a quality gun that hasnt been imported since the 90s, enjoy it and its value will increase over time

JHenry
July 31, 2012, 07:40 AM
In all its glory
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6552/myak3.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/myak3.png/)

a shot of the double hook trigger
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6721/myak4.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/myak4.png/)

the oval 386 and cuts
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5319/akpic1.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/akpic1.png/)

and the unknown importer mark
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/9910/myak6.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/myak6.png/)

Infidel4life11
July 31, 2012, 08:00 AM
I don't think you overpaid.

JHenry
July 31, 2012, 08:03 AM
I don't think you overpaid.
that eases the conscience. Although i wish it had included a sling, the thing has got to be pushing 13-14 lbs fully loaded

meanmrmustard
July 31, 2012, 08:51 AM
I think you overpaid. Me personally, I wouldn't pay what you did for any less than an Arsenal. For AK variants in general, never have nor would pay over $650 OTD. Tex is on the right track, as if you ever needed to sell or were conscious of an overpay, you could at some junctor recoup most or all of your money. I wouldn't bank on elections or gun tragedies, but AKs are going up and so is value, so do not fret. For perspective, I passed on a Mak a month ago in primo condition, couldn't get seller off the $700 mark for a $650 rifle.

For what you paid though, you could have got a nice AR. But, if you're like me, who needs one? Hindsight, cuz you got a Mak, and a decent looking specimen. Congrats, and enjoy it.

Rob G
July 31, 2012, 09:19 AM
You didn't overpay, you just didn't get the best deal I've ever seen on one. I would rest easy and enjoy your Mak90. What you have there is arguably one of the nicest AKs ever produced.

stubbicatt
July 31, 2012, 09:33 AM
Photo 2: Footfault!

Seriously though, nice rifle.

Sam1911
July 31, 2012, 10:20 AM
It is somewhat unusual for accessories (even a nice stock set like that) to get much benefit in the sale price of a used rifle, UNLESS that's exactly what the next buyer wanted anyway.

If that describes you, then you did fine.

In the end, you have the rifle you wanted, in your hands, now. Sometimes that's worth a bit of cash just to get the matter done with. If searching for months to find the lowest dollar for an item is a hobby of yours, maybe you didn't do well. If your goal was to get the rifle you want in you hands so you can go shoot, I'd say you did fine.

del4
July 31, 2012, 10:33 AM
In 1996 someone offered me a milled Russian for $1000.

As mentioned before, you just didn't get the best deal. However I haven't seen many milled Ak's in a long time. You got what you wanted, enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Moose458
July 31, 2012, 11:14 AM
You didn't over pay. Look at what a milled Arsenal cost now, $1995.00. $870 was a good price. You can't count sales tax anymore than when you talk about tax on a new car deal.

nathan
July 31, 2012, 11:16 AM
If its converted then its not original. $700 would be my best price .

leadcounsel
July 31, 2012, 12:40 PM
Around Washington state and Tennessee, the two states I have lived in in the last few years, a Milled Mak90 is worth around $600-650 in excellent condition with a thumbhole stock. In all fairness, NOW with the recent shooting, the prices are going up and they're all over the place. $950 - you got hosed. Sorry to break the news. You should have researched it more. I saw your original post but didn't want to burst your bubble... but since you did ask...

I overpaid in 2009 during the Obama scare and paid I think $750. But fortunately I had an offer more than what I paid and recouped my cost.

If you love it, then what's a few hundred bucks? Hopefully you can buy some more at lower costs and average out your costs.

Sam Cade
July 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
I think you overpaid greatly. Around here milled Mak90s go for around $600-650 when they pop up.

The lack of a threaded muzzle,siderail and the grossly inflated weight makes that rifle a non-starter for me.

As long as YOU got what YOU want, it is all good though.

Roadking Rider
July 31, 2012, 01:22 PM
I look at it this way. If you really wanted it and you were able to pay cash or write a check for it you didn't pay to much. If you put it on plastic and went into dept to buy it and plan on paying it off over a period of time you got ripped.

adelbridge
July 31, 2012, 01:28 PM
questions are for before the purchase. Lesson learned for next gun buy.

Reloadron
July 31, 2012, 01:37 PM
Any gun on any given day is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, no more and no less. The fact that there is no way I would pay that much for a Chinese Norinco MAK 90 matters not, long as you are happy with the gun at the price you paid.

Ron

Float Pilot
July 31, 2012, 04:03 PM
Here is Alaska I have not seen a milled receiver AK for sale in years. They are (were) very popular up here do to their robust construction and possibly better accuracy due to that rigid construction. Many are tucked away next to a well loaded back-pack, the owners using cheap WASR's for converting ammo into noise. The milled Norinco's being held back for the day when they are needed.

Over the last week or two , prices have increased... Just as they have all been creeping up over the last few years.... Up here a stamped AK now goes for $650 and a milled around $850 and up... So while your price may seem steep in comparison to prices a couple years ago.... it is not all that terrible.
If I had been there, I might have whined and complained,,, but I probably would have bought it as well...

JHenry
July 31, 2012, 04:14 PM
well thanks for all the replies but i havent seen a mak-90 milled or stamped for less than $650 in the past year. im sure theyre around but i certainly cant find them. the only other milled mak-90 i saw was for 750(but it was for trade only) and it still had the thumbhole. After everything is said and done the approx value of my mak-90 is around $900. I figure had i gotten an unconverted one for $725 id have to put in $165 in the IWD stock(just priced it on their website) another 25 for various hardware components and a compliance part, and at least 25 $s in shipping. So that all added up would come out to at least 900-935(given that there is some room in hardware and shipping). considering what someone paid for the stock set and since its in good condition and i wont need to replace it, i can essentially subtract 200 dollars(165 + 13 in shipping + hardware costs + whatever i need to finish it).

The IWD price check actually did alot to ease my mind, i thought the set was around $100 which had me thinking i couldve easily done the pistol grip swap myself for significantly less

Float Pilot
July 31, 2012, 05:02 PM
I would be very interested to see just how accurate that milled receiver might shoot with some good hand-loads or quality factory ammo....

JHenry
July 31, 2012, 05:06 PM
sometime down the road when i can afford to, i most certainly will:)

but at this point im more interested in seeing what itll do with cheap ammo

nwilliams
July 31, 2012, 05:26 PM
I don't think you overpaid at all!

Go on gunbroker and search completed auctions for Mak-90 milled and you will see lots of milled Mak-90's that have sold for around what you paid for yours.

Any milled Chinese AK variant is going to only ever go up in value because there will never be any more imported into the US. Even the stamped receiver Mak-90's are starting to creep up into the $600-$700 range and they are much more common.

Don't regret your decision, I probably would have been tempted by a milled Mak-90 for $870 myself. Especially a Mak-90 with an ironwood stock set already installed.

FYI 10 years from now that gun is probably going to be worth twice what you paid for it. Just keep in good condition and think of it as an investment. Also don't forget to shoot it and have fun!

JHenry
July 31, 2012, 05:43 PM

Go on gunbroker and search completed auctions for Mak-90 milled and you will see lots of milled Mak-90's that have sold for around what you paid for yours.

Any milled Chinese AK variant is going to only ever go up in value because there will never be any more imported into the US. Even the stamped receiver Mak-90's are starting to creep up into the $600-$700 range and they are much more common.

Don't regret your decision, I probably would have been tempted by a milled Mak-90 for $870 myself. Especially a Mak-90 with an ironwood stock set already installed.

FYI 10 years from now that gun is probably going to be worth twice what you paid for it. Just keep in good condition and think of it as an investment. Also don't forget to shoot it and have fun!

These are the answers that make me feel good about the buy :)

and if the prices go up like they have been it might not even be that long.

I still wish someone knew something on the MCLEAN VA importer stamp though, ive googled it and found about 2-3 other posts on forums with same mark but as far as i know noones got a definitive answer yet.

fireman 9731
July 31, 2012, 06:27 PM
The Maks are about the most solid AK you can buy. It will increase in value. If you like it, then you did fine.

You don't need a milled receiver on an AK though...

I recently traded my Romanian Draco AK pistol that I paid $319 for a few years ago for an early import Steyr Egyptian Maadi ARM AK. They are going close to the Maks in price because they are well built and aren't being imported anymore.

For most of us it isn't about the money or value though, its about guns that we want and enjoy.

JHenry
July 31, 2012, 06:37 PM
The Maks are about the most solid AK you can buy. It will increase in value. If you like it, then you did fine.

You don't need a milled receiver on an AK though...

I recently traded my Romanian Draco AK pistol that I paid $319 for a few years ago for an early import Steyr Egyptian Maadi ARM AK. They are going close to the Maks in price because they are well built and aren't being imported anymore.

For most of us it isn't about the money or value though, its about guns that we want and enjoy.

i needed the milled receiver:)

yea the maadi's seem like great AK's(minus the century built ones which were maks on new receivers) but it sounds like you got the real deal for a good deal

FMJMIKE
July 31, 2012, 10:26 PM
You did fine !!! Enjoy it.............:D

Texan Scott
July 31, 2012, 10:38 PM
Yup... you overpaid. Only way to justify it now is to shoot it until the lower cost of ammunition balances it out. :D

Seriously, with nice wood, good bluing, and a milled receiver? If it shoots halfway straight, you just picked up a very nice rifle for under a grand. Pat yourself on the back, and go shoot it some more.

mshootnit
July 31, 2012, 10:47 PM
i've have a few milled AK's. the limitations are the quality of the ammo and optics setup. You get a solid scope mount and good quality ammo the rifle can shoot 2" groups. I have clover leafed 3 shots at 100 yds with a milled AK and irons.
Once when shooting a milled AK the fella next to me was shooting his new special order bushmaster competition rifle. He traded me out for a few shots. I came away thinking I liked my milled gun better. He probly thought the opposite but each to their own.

gp911
July 31, 2012, 11:12 PM
Don't second guess it now, just enjoy it and hang onto it until it feels like a bargain.

Robtattoo
August 1, 2012, 01:38 AM
My opinion, for what it's worth, who gives a rat's what you paid for it. If you're happy with your deal & love the rifle, it was a bargain.
I've knowingly overpaid for several guns just because they 'spoke' to me. If I were to sell them (I never will) I probably couldn't get back more than 75% of what I paid, but I really could care less.
Same goes for my truck. Paid 11K now worth about 5. Do I care? Do I hell. I love it & I'll run it until it rusts out from under me.

Ohio Gun Guy
August 1, 2012, 01:41 AM
Are your toe nails painted? hummmm :uhoh:

kingkeoni
August 1, 2012, 02:00 AM
You definitely overpaid.

What a piece of junk.

You should mail it to me immediately.

I'll PM my address.

snake284
August 1, 2012, 02:15 AM

This reminds me of 1903 Springfields about 8-10 years back. Come think of it now, I think it was around 2005. I went to a LGS and they had a cherry sweet 03 for $500. I thought No Way! I'm not paying $500 for an old 1903. I think I can get one cheaper. Well guess what? I took my eye off the ball for a couple of years and got interested in other guns. Then I started wanting an 03 again and guess what? I couldn't find anything close to as nice as that one for $700.

Guns usually don't go but one direction in value, and that's up!!!

So no way you screwed up.

JHenry
August 1, 2012, 03:12 AM
Well certainly some interesting responses I think I'll take the advice and just enjoy it, just got to find a place to shoot it now(family has some land I could use but it's a pretty long drive to just test accuracy and blow away 60 rounds. Maybe this weekend :)

JHenry
August 1, 2012, 03:26 AM
Are your toe nails painted? hummmm :uhoh:

Lol no, iPhone photos are just incredibly grainy behind the focus

hang fire
August 1, 2012, 01:57 PM
From that 2nd pic, is it gonna have Olga's toenails finish? (;>)

JHenry
August 1, 2012, 09:17 PM
I did get to shoot it today :D, only shot about 8 rounds from thirty yards or so, groups were absolutely horrible but it wasnt the guns fault. Heat index of 110+ caused sweat to constantly be in my eyes(and i helped a couple friends move into there apartment today), target was a box with some crude circles that was placed on the bottom slope of a big dirt pile, and the fact that i wasnt trying too hard. I hit the box all but once when i pulled it about 3 inches left cause sweat really started to sting my eyes.

The noise was quite loud(didnt bring hearing protection for 8 rounds, probably should of though). There was no felt recoil, but there was a little muzzle rise. I need to get a sight adjustment tool and really put it through its paces soon though.

Those 8 rounds were a blast though and the rifle was absolutely flawless

meanmrmustard
August 1, 2012, 09:26 PM
I did get to shoot it today :D, only shot about 8 rounds from thirty yards or so, groups were absolutely horrible but it wasnt the guns fault. Heat index of 110+ caused sweat to constantly be in my eyes(and i helped a couple friends move into there apartment today), target was a box with some crude circles that was placed on the bottom slope of a big dirt pile, and the fact that i wasnt trying too hard. I hit the box all but once when i pulled it about 3 inches left cause sweat really started to sting my eyes.

The noise was quite loud(didnt bring hearing protection for 8 rounds, probably should of though). There was no felt recoil, but there was a little muzzle rise. I need to get a sight adjustment tool and really put it through its paces soon though.

Those 8 rounds were a blast though and the rifle was absolutely flawless
I'd shoot it resting at 10 yds, then increase your distance in increments up to and including your maximum effective range so as to note grouping with different ammo at different ranges, getting an idea of what flies best.

JHenry
August 1, 2012, 10:14 PM
I'd shoot it resting at 10 yds, then increase your distance in increments up to and including your maximum effective range so as to note grouping with different ammo at different ranges, getting an idea of what flies best.

Well my buddy has a ranch(i guess is what youd call it) and its basically a big field where their horses graze. Anyways we chased theirhorses towards the opposite end with a gator and then rode to the other end where there is a big dirt pile. The way it was located wasnt really ideal, so we just shoot a couple rounds to get the feel, nothing extensive really. I do have some land thats a ways out but when i really want to dial it in ill have to go there. And as for now all i can really afford is Tulammo, wolf, and brown bear but the only one that is available locally is tulammo which isnt really know for quality.

Adam123
August 1, 2012, 11:02 PM
Overpaid. If a bunch of random guys armed with keyboards matter to you, you may not be happy with your decision. YOU being happy with the rifle is all that matters. AKs (or maybe all firearms) keep climbing in price. You'll be alright.

[Edit] I passed up a very nice MAK-90 last year and it was only $500.00

JHenry
August 1, 2012, 11:13 PM
Overpaid. If a bunch of random guys armed with keyboards matter to you, you may not be happy with your decision. YOU being happy with the rifle is all that matters. AKs (or maybe all firearms) keep climbing in price. You'll be alright.

[Edit] I passed up a very nice MAK-90 last year and it was only $500.00
nothing wrong with asking for opinions in my book

and i wouldve been all over a mak 90 at $500

meanmrmustard
August 1, 2012, 11:17 PM
Well my buddy has a ranch(i guess is what youd call it) and its basically a big field where their horses graze. Anyways we chased theirhorses towards the opposite end with a gator and then rode to the other end where there is a big dirt pile. The way it was located wasnt really ideal, so we just shoot a couple rounds to get the feel, nothing extensive really. I do have some land thats a ways out but when i really want to dial it in ill have to go there. And as for now all i can really afford is Tulammo, wolf, and brown bear but the only one that is available locally is tulammo which isnt really know for quality.
Tulammo didn't perform to horribly in my Saiga, but yeah, brown bear grouped tighter.

Adam123
August 1, 2012, 11:17 PM
nothing wrong with asking for opinions in my book

You are correct. There is nothing wrong with asking for opinions. I do it a lot, but I do it before I make my decision.

megaton
August 1, 2012, 11:19 PM
Its funny, I can rarely find a gun for the price people on the internet claim they pay. I must be really bad at finding good deals. ;)

Walking Dead
August 1, 2012, 11:21 PM
Sounds like an alright deal to me. And at the rate the prices are climbing its deffinetly a good investment.

Walkalong
August 1, 2012, 11:28 PM
They are excellent guns. I was lucky to bump into a deal one one (Not milled) a few months before the 2008 election, so I got it much cheaper than $950, but it was still a bit over double what they sold for pre clinton when they sold for $150 all day long with cheap chinese ammo (steel core), and were not very popular. When clinton started pushing to ban them, the popularity and price started soaring, and hasn't stopped yet. Slowed down for awhile, but not stopped.

I have hunted for and found bargains, and I have paid top dollar to get what I wanted when I wanted. I have been happy with most of those purchases.

Occasionally I find I just don't like something, and it gets traded or sold. That is the only time the buying price is an issue, and even then I don't worry about it.

AK-$950

Your happy-Priceless.

MAKster
August 2, 2012, 12:27 AM
The milled MAK-90s that are engraved "McLean VA" were imported by a company called International Distributors of Equipment (I.D.E.)
http://www.drzero.org/ak1/pdf/mak_90.pdf

JHenry
August 2, 2012, 11:59 AM
The milled MAK-90s that are engraved "McLean VA" were imported by a company called International Distributors of Equipment (I.D.E.)
http://www.drzero.org/ak1/pdf/mak_90.pdf

Thank you, that company seemed like a ghost for awhile, every website that lists mak-90 importers never mentions them

MrRob
August 2, 2012, 01:21 PM
I had to admit that $950 sounds a bit on the high side, but for milled, I can understand it being over $800. Maybe if you could find some additional history or authenticiation for it that would help.

Maybe Im feeling bratty because I was spoiled by my first AK, which was only a Romanian WASR-10. It was a GREAT shooter for a "used" $299 on the gun rack back in 2005. All the other guns on the rack were marked $399, but this one looked in just as good of condition and was marked $299, so I decided it was going to be mine. Zero malfunctions ever. Roughly 4.5 - 5'' groups with Wolf ammo straight outta the box. Plenty good for me. Then I needed some cash and let somebody pay me $500 for it. What a mistake.

A year later I wanted a second AK so bad I could taste it. So I got a Yugo Underfolder, because the underfolder seemed awesome. I gave in and paid $650 cash for it at a gunshow - and even then thought I might have overpaid a bit. The underfolder feature in and of itself was cool - but that rifle couldn't hit minute of Barn for the life of me. Im not kidding when I say it was having a good day if it could hold an 8 inch group at 100yds. 11-12'' on a bad day. Worked on sights, had friends who were better shots than me try, but no dice.

I wanted to like that Yugo so hard, but I couldnt stand the shame of a rifle that had a one foot MOA. The Yugo had to go.

So out with the Yugo (and a few other unloved guns) and in with the M1A springfield scout. 18 inch barrel. 2'' MOA outta the box with stock Winchester White box 147FMJ. Love the scout. Got a good deal on it for $1300 too. The M1A has been a wonderful rifle, can't say enough good things about it. But its a very different animal than that old Romanian WASR AK. I thought it was the M1A platform itself that I loved, so I picked up a full sized M1A later... but I didnt love it nearly as much as the scout. The handeling was so different. It reminded me of the difference in the AKs that I had. Ended up trading the full size M1A for an old triump motorcycle, and think I got the better of that deal.

Although the Yugo left a bad taste for AKs in my mouth for a while, my experience with the Romanian WASR leads be to believe there are still some great quality AKs out there for great prices.

Look, Its all about what makes you happy:

- If you like the look and feel of your milled AK, then don't worry about the $850 and just cherish it!

- Its an AK so you know it will always go bang when you pull the trigger!

- If its a good shooter for you, and you feel confident that you can hit what your shooting at, then hang on to that rifle forever and you won't ever be sorry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Second guessing my AK buy, some reassure me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!