When will M&P Shield become more available?

PDA

Citizen_soldier22
August 1, 2012, 02:41 AM
So, the Shield has been out a couple months now but is still rather difficult to find (new, at least). When do you guys think that it will become more available and also have the price come down to a reasonable level?
I'm not implying that it's an expensive pistol, just saying that most people who own one seem to have paid MSRP or damn close to it. I understand supply and demand, but refuse to pay MSRP for any gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "When will M&P Shield become more available?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jed Carter
August 1, 2012, 05:51 AM
Been out for about 4 months now, bought mine in April from Sportsman's Wharehouse for $399. So far it has run flawlessly and shot like a much larger pistol. Most of us can only speculate on when production will catch up to demand. It is likely to take as long as the much anticipated Ruger 1911, just saw my first one just laying in the case, again at SW. S&W needs to hurry up M&P Shield production before the end of the world in December. I'm betting the Mayans were wrong, production and demand will not balance out until at least January, but that is just a guess. If I was the decision maker at S&W I would halt production of the Shield .40 and concentrate on just the 9mm.

Just One Shot
August 1, 2012, 11:36 AM
Probably not until after the election, longer if you know who gets another term.

scaatylobo
August 1, 2012, 11:59 AM
She had to wait for 4 + weeks to get it in the shop.

Took it out last friday and it was a pleasure to shoot,trigger was not as smooth and light as his Walther PPS [ made by S&W ] but for its size it was a hoot to shoot.

jfrey
August 1, 2012, 11:19 PM
A dealer told me today he heard that S&W is busy working on their new version of the Sigma and it will be awhile before the Shield production catches up. I don't know for sure but that was his story anyway. I do know that there are waiting lists for Shields at every GS I talk to.

edfrompa
August 3, 2012, 09:59 PM
I understand that they are going to discontinue making the Shield>

rsbufo1966
August 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
I understand that they are going to discontinue making the Shield>

Source, please?

ETA: Unless, of course, you are making some sort of sick, twisted joke...

"A People that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both" Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Shoot more, talk less...

KTXdm9
August 3, 2012, 10:55 PM
I highly doubt it, given its popularity.

jfrey
August 3, 2012, 11:21 PM
Discontinuing the Shield at this point would be a big mistake for S&W based on the high demand for the pistol. They seem to have a winner so why stop it? I've seem a couple of .40s on shelves but no 9mms. Everywhere I call has a waiting list. Stopping production just doesn't seem likely. I could be wrong, but that would have been like Colt saying in 1912 they would stop making the 1911.

Shipwreck
August 3, 2012, 11:31 PM
A dealer told me today he heard that S&W is busy working on their new version of the Sigma and it will be awhile before the Shield production catches up. I don't know for sure but that was his story anyway. I do know that there are waiting lists for Shields at every GS I talk to.

Biggest nonsense rumors in the world (about guns) come from dealers...

Someone at S&W told me on the phone about 1 month ago that they were running shifts 24 hours a day in order to try and keep up with demand...

As for the Sigma - S&W already came out with the SD - the quasi Sigma replacement

jfrey
August 3, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hey Shipwreck

Like I said, that's what the guy told me. Didn't say I believe him and you are right. Rumers fly everywhere. S&W is going to do what ever they feel appropriate and these companies usually don't give out a lot of clues ahead of time. Right now, it would seem foolish to me for S&W to slow down or stop production of the Shield considering how popular they are. It seems to be a case of time, letting production catch up with demand.

Ankeny
August 4, 2012, 11:09 AM
...and one of my friends owns a gun store. He is swimming in Glocks (and sells well below retail). He has a dozen M&P pistols arriving on Monday (four Shields) and he just keeps waiting for the panic buying to start so he can get rid of some inventory. I guess that is what happens when you live in a sparsly populated part of gun country.

Browns Fan
August 4, 2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
"I understand that they are going to discontinue making the Shield>"

Troll Alert! Troll Alert!

DougW
August 4, 2012, 08:41 PM
I am around 50th on the waiting list at my favorite fun shop for one. Till I get one, I will keep carrying the G26.

mopar92
January 23, 2013, 06:16 PM
Just think if Smith ran 24 hours a day how much money they would make... I can't see how any other manufacturer in any other business practice does not want to or care to meet demand with supply.... the gun industry is one of those. So many more companies could make more money if they pumped em out. Perhaps it's some sort of steel shortage or something to that nature. I wish I could have bought one of the Shields before they went to $800 on GB..

Dryft
January 23, 2013, 06:40 PM
I was in Cabella's up here in Maine this past weekend, and according to one of the guys I have talked to enough to trust in the Library, they have a one hundred forty or so people on the waiting list for a Shield.

I'm with Mopar, and I do believe some companies are switching to a three shift schedule - you have to make hay while the sun shines, right? But, having said that, a lot of companies have their raw materials orders scheduled years in advance - you can't make guns if you don't have the materials to do so.

mopar92
January 23, 2013, 06:43 PM
Yeah... That is just my stingy side talking... I want my stuff... yesterday..

littlebluevette
January 23, 2013, 06:49 PM
Hey Shipwreck

Like I said, that's what the guy told me. Didn't say I believe him and you are right. Rumers fly everywhere. S&W is going to do what ever they feel appropriate and these companies usually don't give out a lot of clues ahead of time. Right now, it would seem foolish to me for S&W to slow down or stop production of the Shield considering how popular they are. It seems to be a case of time, letting production catch up with demand.
If you didn't believe him then why are you spreading them?

WinThePennant
January 23, 2013, 10:43 PM
I'm hoping that the new Springfield XD sub-compact 9mm will take up some of the slack and maybe make it a bit easier to get S&W Shields.

BamAlmighty
January 24, 2013, 02:54 AM
I doubt the 9mm XDs will take away demand, It is at least $100 more than the Shield and that alone will continue to make the Shield in more demand.

PabloJ
January 24, 2013, 03:06 AM
Hey Shipwreck

I do not think this will happen because the 'Shield' is made by S&W not by Colt.

PabloJ
January 24, 2013, 03:24 AM
Quote:
"I understand that they are going to discontinue making the Shield>"

Troll Alert! Troll Alert!
Nope. Just a good ole' S&W fella trying to add blood to shark infested water boosting demand and sales. Now that sharks are riled up you will find the 'Shield' even more difficult to find.

col_temp
January 24, 2013, 04:28 AM
BTW those of you looking.

Just place an order with your local gun range. They will likely get one for you at the real price! not the GB price!

We ordered one back in November. Got it about 3 weeks ago. And for less than $400 list. (Was about $430 out the door with Sales tax!)

No reason to pay $600!

mopar92
January 24, 2013, 07:53 AM
People are paying the $700 because they want the gun, and don't want to wait. So if people are spending $650 all day long, I would think the xds would sell at its price too.

Hit_Factor
January 24, 2013, 08:26 AM
There is no reason to expect the Springfield XDs 9mm to be plentiful this year.

mopar92
January 24, 2013, 08:34 AM
I believe that too! All of these compact 9mm's are flying off the shelves

mopar92
January 24, 2013, 10:47 PM
No local gun shop would order me one... kinda weird

Hit_Factor
January 26, 2013, 08:41 PM
I own a LGS, and can't order one. Customers want to pay upfront for shields, AR, AK, XDs and many other items.

My partner and I choose not to do it. We like guns, not banking. I can't even imagine how much money we would be holding for people if we did take deposits.

camsdaddy
January 26, 2013, 09:43 PM
A friend called the other day and asked if I wanted one. I bought one of the five he got in. I honestly got it because after hearing of them for almost a year I wanted to hold one. I needed proof they actually exist. I have run 50 rounds through and the verdict is out on if I like it or not. It is awesome for what it is

mopar92
January 26, 2013, 09:46 PM
If you don't like it, you will make money on it...

camsdaddy
January 26, 2013, 09:49 PM
I'm sure I could. Think I'm gonna shoot another box from it and if I don't like it I'm gonna either sell it or trade it.

mopar92
January 29, 2013, 09:24 AM
Holler if you don't like it.

GLG20
January 29, 2013, 11:50 AM
One of the bigger shops received twenty 9mm Shields last week. Lasted two hours.

Picked mine up last summer after getting on a list with my local shop. $374 before tax. Great CCW.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/DSC00739.jpg

Hunter991
January 29, 2013, 02:54 PM
At my LGS they said sw was about a year behind and to not count on getting a shield for at least that long. I wasn't going to wait, got a kahr instead. Better gun IMO

leadchucker
January 29, 2013, 04:41 PM
I went in to one LGS and asked if he could get me a Shield. He spent about five minutes on the computer, and said no way, but he added that since he couldn't find one himself, if I found one online, he would do the transfer for ten bucks. (Transfers around here are usually $25 or more.) Nice guy! That made paying MSRP a little less painful.

I lucked out and found one. If you keep calling some of the bigger online dealers, with credit card in hand, you'll eventually find a dealer who happens to have one.

bob kk
January 29, 2013, 10:09 PM
About a month ago one shop had two Rep's from S&W at the shop with a lot of S&W's on sale. Don't know how many Shields they had but I got one for $399,tax and tn 10 background check. Good little shooting 9mm.

Citizen_soldier22
January 29, 2013, 11:08 PM
At my LGS they said sw was about a year behind and to not count on getting a shield for at least that long. I wasn't going to wait, got a kahr instead. Better gun IMO
My thoughts exactly. When I was looking for a nice CCW piece last summer the Shield would have been nice, but I ended up spending way less money for a Kahr CW9 that is even thinner and points beautifully for me. Unless I find a sub-$350 Shield, I don't foresee myself ever getting one.

Dr_B
January 30, 2013, 01:45 AM
I bought my Shield .40 last June. Haven't seen one for sale anywhere since. Last time I asked about the 9mm version, my local store was back-ordered 6 deep.

If you enjoyed reading about "When will M&P Shield become more available?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!