Mystery to solve

PDA

content
August 1, 2012, 10:35 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // Picked up an old ,old Stevens can you tell what it is? Date is Sept. 6 1864.

The owner was my age (50)when he started the company and made this firearm. An inspiration to us all especially considering it was during the hard times after the Civil War.
The Stevens Company Merged with Savage in 1920 but they made the Savage, Lee Enfield, No.4 for the British.169246

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery to solve" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
content
August 1, 2012, 01:16 PM
Here is another clue, they were not making too many in the first two years.169251

They sold over a million of the model 87s starting manuf. in 1938.

The top is an 87T(tenite) mid 1940s, bottom is a 987 ,carried on as the Sears model 6.

303tom
August 1, 2012, 01:43 PM
It`s a Pocket Rifle.................

content
August 1, 2012, 03:00 PM
Ty for playing 303tom/// Saw your nic and knew the jig was going to be up. You post pics of some fine weapons.

After the Civil War there were fewer horses and the bicycle made a huge surge.
With a pocket rifle across your handle bars, on a bike trip, it was easier to take wild game.
Protecting yourself, in the hard times toward the end and after the Civil War,from man and beast was also a consideration.
The larger the caliber the bigger the meal.

This Pocket Rifle has matching #, Manuf. stamp from 1864-1866 (Changed after 1866) and is in .44cal.
I believe it was manuf. in 1885 and is the First Model, 2nd change since the firing pin is in the frame not on the hammer.

Please add any info I have missed, these are fairly new to me.
I noticed recently they were reclassified as an antique so I jumped on one.

303tom
August 1, 2012, 03:39 PM
Ty for playing 303tom/// Saw your nic and knew the jig was going to be up. You post pics of some fine weapons.

After the Civil War there were fewer horses and the bicycle made a huge surge.
With a pocket rifle across your handle bars, on a bike trip, it was easier to take wild game.
Protecting yourself, in the hard times toward the end and after the Civil War,from man and beast was also a consideration.
The larger the caliber the bigger the meal.

This Pocket Rifle has matching #, Manuf. stamp from 1864-1866 (Changed after 1866) and is in .44cal.
I believe it was manuf. in 1885 and is the First Model, 2nd change since the firing pin is in the frame not on the hammer.

Please add any info I have missed, these are fairly new to me.
I noticed recently they were reclassified as an antique so I jumped on one.
That`s a cool firearm, damn cool.....................

content
August 1, 2012, 03:44 PM
:DExactly what I thought, especially in 1864 or 5!
Center fire .44 too,,, Dirty Harry who?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery to solve" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!