Us made hammer and trigger
Kivaari match trigger job
Ambidextrous safety
Us made cheese grater hand guard
Hogue hand all
Albanian bolt carrier
Spring loaded firing pin
Tapco short fore grip
Tapco cage style brake (yes the barrel is threaded).

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/tnxdshooter78/IMAG0200.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

If you enjoyed reading about "My sks sporter m" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hang fire
August 1, 2012, 01:49 PM
All dressed up and looking good.

OVer the years I have tried different stocks, mags, scopes, and etc. But have always gone back to as issued configuration for found it best.

tnxdshooter
August 1, 2012, 02:50 PM
To each his own.

Here it is with the extended mag release installed.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/tnxdshooter78/IMAG0201.jpg

mookiie
August 1, 2012, 03:33 PM
Where did you get the extended mag release? Looks good!

Also how does the eo tech work out for you on this rifle? Does it hold a zero well? What mount is that you have it on? Thanks.

tnxdshooter
August 1, 2012, 04:33 PM
I don't know YET! I have not even sighted it in yet. I just put it all together today. There is a slight problem with the handguard that I will have to have addressed before I can fire it. Other than that she is ready to go. I did shoulder the weapon and turned the sight on and liked the feel of it. I don't like that it does not have magnification but out to 100 yards I really won't need it probably. The mount is a scout scope mount from bc tactical a company in canada. There is a us company at scoutscopes.com that makes them but i didn't know about them until I had already bought the canadian mount. It is an ema extended mag release for akm. It just fits over top of the stock one and tightens down with two allen set screws. It comes with the allen wrench.

Extended akm release
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=53511/Product/AK-EXTENDED-MAGAZINE-RELEASE

Bc tactical scout mount it is halfway down the page
http://www.bctactical.ca/products.html

If you want the us made version of the scout scope mount go here.

http://scoutscopes.com/sks-scope-mounts/sks-scope-mount-black-anodized-6795/

tnxdshooter
August 1, 2012, 04:48 PM
As a side not everyone that I have talked to recommended the scout scope mounts as they are the only one other than the drill and tap method that hold zero.

Shawn Dodson
August 1, 2012, 07:57 PM
Never mind (wrong SKS!).

mljdeckard
August 1, 2012, 10:00 PM
The new promags work GREAT.

tnxdshooter
August 2, 2012, 05:20 AM
The new promag duckbills or what?

mljdeckard
August 2, 2012, 07:47 AM
Yes, new Promag 30 rd.

tnxdshooter
August 2, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hmmmm, I have been hearing more and more people say that. They must have done some redesigning on them.

mookiie
August 2, 2012, 12:00 PM
I did a little work to mine as well:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Mookiie2005/photo-4.jpg

Thanks again for the links!

justice06rr
August 2, 2012, 10:26 PM
Wow that is a nice SKS! I have shot a friend's SKS last weekend and he is currently converting to 922r compliant. it definitely gives the rifle a more modern look.

ifit
August 2, 2012, 10:53 PM
to each thier own, but do you still have the original stock for it?

meanmrmustard
August 2, 2012, 11:15 PM
Looks good Mookiie

tnxdshooter
August 3, 2012, 06:24 AM
Of course

tnxdshooter
August 3, 2012, 06:25 AM
to each thier own, but do you still have the original stock for it?

Still have all the original parts. Even though I do not ever intend to sell it.

ifit
August 3, 2012, 06:52 AM
thats good to know, even though im running a chinese fiberglass stock on my sks-m i also dont plan on sellin my original stock

mljdeckard
August 3, 2012, 12:20 PM
I chucked my original stock.

tnxdshooter
March 7, 2013, 05:17 AM
I chucked my original stock.

I didn't. I had an m non thumb hole refinished.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

NHCraigT
March 7, 2013, 11:04 AM
I've got a para 16" SKS, that I am keeping stock. I just like the look of it that way.

If I had a few more SKS's, I would then possibly try and bubba-up one of them.

tnxdshooter
March 8, 2013, 04:43 AM
The cool thing about mine is it can revert back to stock fairly quickly. The only thing changed on it is the threaded barrel for a brake. I'm wondering if the assault weapons ban is going to pass. I am doubting it will but I do think the magazine capacity one will pass. Thus in going to have about eight 30 round magazines and two 20 round magazines that are useless to me. I'm glad I have a couple of 10 rounders and five rounders.

Snowdog
March 8, 2013, 07:43 AM
I haven't read the wording of the latest ban attempt, but the '94 bill allowed what you had. Only manufacture and importation were affected, IIRC

brunowbe
March 8, 2013, 08:54 PM
mljdeckard,

I hope to God it wasn't a Russian (especially a non refurb) or other valuable SKS variant.

meanmrmustard
March 8, 2013, 09:01 PM
mljdeckard,

I hope to God it wasn't a Russian (especially a non refurb) or other valuable SKS variant.
East German!:eek:

tnxdshooter
March 9, 2013, 06:19 AM
I haven't read the wording of the latest ban attempt, but the '94 bill allowed what you had. Only manufacture and importation were affected, IIRC

Mine is 922r compliant. I'm not sure what will happen with this new bill.

jimmyraythomason
March 9, 2013, 10:41 AM
I hope to God it wasn't a Russian (especially a non refurb) or other valuable SKS variant. He stated at the first that it was a Model M "sporter" which is a Norinco made specifically for US import.

tnxdshooter
March 9, 2013, 06:05 PM
Right

ObsceneJesster
March 9, 2013, 11:48 PM
Did you use the stock gas tube or did you get the Tapco Gas Tube with the Handguard already installed? I did opt for the Tapco Gas tube and haven't got around to putting the stock on. I'm worried that I will some how mess it up by grinding to much metal off. I've heard some people say to grind the tabs on the bottom of the handguard first and that will usually allow the gas tube to sit further down and create enough space for the latch to lock in place.

Can you explain how you fit the Tapco Gas Tube if that's the route you decided to go?

fatcat4620
March 9, 2013, 11:54 PM
Weak sauce.

tnxdshooter
March 10, 2013, 06:03 AM
Did you use the stock gas tube or did you get the Tapco Gas Tube with the Handguard already installed? I did opt for the Tapco Gas tube and haven't got around to putting the stock on. I'm worried that I will some how mess it up by grinding to much metal off. I've heard some people say to grind the tabs on the bottom of the handguard first and that will usually allow the gas tube to sit further down and create enough space for the latch to lock in place.

Can you explain how you fit the Tapco Gas Tube if that's the route you decided to go?

Original gas tube. I had a cheese grater installed on it. The original had tube fit really tight. I took it to a gunsmith and for five dollars they filed it down on the end ever so slightly, now it comes off without having to use alot of pull force. Apparently a lot of people are failing to read the original post as most everything (equipment used) and type of rifle are clearly explained.

tnxdshooter
March 10, 2013, 06:10 AM
Weak sauce.

Huh?

fatcat4620
March 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
Huh?

You are aware of the AK series right? I understand he put a lot of time and energy into it but he just souped up a civic when he could have bought a corvette.

tnxdshooter
March 10, 2013, 04:46 PM
Yeah,

But how many people do you know that have a sporter m like mine? Ak's are a dime a dozen and not as accurate as an SKS. It's really just that simple.

tnxdshooter
March 13, 2013, 06:32 AM
On a side note I ditched the red dot because it sat to high on the mount. I'm thinking of doing the tech sights rear and kns cross hair front sights.

fatcat4620
March 13, 2013, 11:23 PM
I have heard good things about tech sights. I am thinking about them for my AK.

tnxdshooter
March 14, 2013, 04:47 AM
I have heard good things about tech sights. I am thinking about them for my AK.

Cool

meanmrmustard
March 14, 2013, 08:45 AM
Yeah,

But how many people do you know that have a sporter m like mine? Ak's are a dime a dozen and not as accurate as an SKS. It's really just that simple.

Many, actually. Paras too. They aren't uber rare, and to be honest, fetch only a bit more in price than others in the stable. Silk purses and sows ears, and whatnot.

While I'd agree that the SKS has an accuracy advantage, it was never designed to have the features on them that make them what an AK already is. That advantage is slight, too, as I've seen and shot some fine AKMs that held groups better or comparable to the Simonov. Once again, silk purses.

tnxdshooter
March 15, 2013, 05:04 AM
Many, actually. Paras too. They aren't uber rare, and to be honest, fetch only a bit more in price than others in the stable. Silk purses and sows ears, and whatnot.

While I'd agree that the SKS has an accuracy advantage, it was never designed to have the features on them that make them what an AK already is. That advantage is slight, too, as I've seen and shot some fine AKMs that held groups better or comparable to the Simonov. Once again, silk purses.

I've not seen many m's. They along with the d are rare. There are very few on survivors sks boards. I paid 550 for mine which was in like new condition. I have seen the m, d, and nr go as high as 800.00 comparable to Russian sks's.

meanmrmustard
March 15, 2013, 08:09 AM
I've not seen many m's. They along with the d are rare. There are very few on survivors sks boards. I paid 550 for mine which was in like new condition. I have seen the m, d, and nr go as high as 800.00 comparable to Russian sks's.

One sold on Guns America for $450, not too long ago.

An M in the St. Louis Area sat on Armslist for a week at $600 or so, price dropped, and sold for $425. I know this as I inquired shortly after it sold.

They're out there. You might get a second one to leave in stock configuration. The only SKS I really consider rare is the East German.

tnxdshooter
March 15, 2013, 10:44 AM
One sold on Guns America for $450, not too long ago.

An M in the St. Louis Area sat on Armslist for a week at $600 or so, price dropped, and sold for $425. I know this as I inquired shortly after it sold.

They're out there. You might get a second one to leave in stock configuration. The only SKS I really consider rare is the East German.

Prices have dropped alot then. Your right I might just get me a second one.

meanmrmustard
March 15, 2013, 08:48 PM
Prices have dropped alot then. Your right I might just get me a second one.

Can you ever have too many!!!

As an aside: If you happen to find an EG or Bangledeshi, hit me up.

hang fire
March 15, 2013, 09:00 PM
All dressed up and looking good.

OVer the years I have tried different stocks, mags, scopes, and etc. But have always gone back to as issued configuration for found it best.
Same here, putting a $100.00 saddle on a $20.00 horse never seemed to help.

tnxdshooter
March 16, 2013, 05:25 AM
Same here, putting a $100.00 saddle on a $20.00 horse never seemed to help.

To each their own.

tnxdshooter
March 16, 2013, 05:26 AM
Can you ever have too many!!!

As an aside: If you happen to find an EG or Bangledeshi, hit me up.

Never to many as far as i'm concerned.

meanmrmustard
March 16, 2013, 08:23 AM
Never to many as far as i'm concerned.

Who did your barrel threading?

tnxdshooter
March 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
Predator Custom shop on papermill road in Knoxville tn. They did the 14x1 lh thread installed and indexed the brake 35.00.

meanmrmustard
March 16, 2013, 09:21 PM
Not bad.:)

DMK
March 17, 2013, 01:03 AM
You are aware of the AK series right? I understand he put a lot of time and energy into it but he just souped up a civic when he could have bought a corvette. If an SKS is a Honda Civic, an AK is at best a Toyota Celica, far from a Corvette.

Throwing all this stuff on an SKS is no worse that dressing up an AK.

I actually prefer the SKS to the AK.

tnxdshooter
March 17, 2013, 07:43 AM
Not bad.:)

I know right. They are my go to shop for custom gunsmithing. They did a cerakote job on my mossberg 500 that was outstanding.

If you enjoyed reading about "My sks sporter m" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!