August Rimfire Match:

PDA

Maverick223
August 1, 2012, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the Rimfire Match for the month of August! This match is open to any and every 22 caliber (as well as 17 and 20 caliber) rimfire rifle including the perennial favorite .22LR, as well as the .22Short, .22Long, .22 Mag., .17HM2, .17HMR, and 5mm Rem RF Mag (as well as any oddball rimfires that you might have). This match is meant to be challenging and educational, but most of all FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle. If you have one handy, make sure an bring a friend too.

There are Two Optics Divisions:
->Iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots. Shot at 25yds.
->Scopes and other magnified sighting devices. Shot at 50yds.

*Note that the distance of irons div. returned to 25yds.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, sub-.20cal. chamberings, high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used)
->Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles chambered for any rimfire cartridge .20cal./5mm and larger)

Both classes can be shot from any position. Rests/Sandbags/bipods are permitted in the Target Class only. Shooting stick(s) are now permitted for both divisions (either crossed or walking stick style). Use of a sling is encouraged.

25 Yd. (Irons) Target: See image 1 attached below. Scale to 100% on standard 8.5x11in. paper. The objective is to fire one shot at each of the 6 "bulls". The target is scored as 1pt for breaking the line of each of the outer white rings (1-5), 8pts for the red ring, 9pts for the innermost white ring, and 10pts for a strike on the red bullseye. An X will be awarded for any shot that breaks the line on the small "inner bulls". The top 5 scores count for record, the other one is a "freebie"/sighter, for a maximum available score of 50-5X.

50 Yd. (Optics) Target: See image 2 attached below. Scale to 100% on standard 8.5x11in. paper. The objective is to fire one shot at each of the 12 "bulls". The target is scored as 1pt for breaking the line of each of the outer white rings (1-5), 8pts for the red ring, 9pts for the innermost white ring, and 10pts for a strike on the red bullseye. An X will be awarded for any shot that breaks the line on the small "inner bulls". The top 10 scores count for record, the other two are "freebies"/sighters, for a maximum available score of 100-10X.

If you enjoyed this match and want a bit more challenge, or just compare your rimfires to their larger cousins, check out the concurrent Centerfire Match (now quarterly).

When you are satisfied you've done your best post/attach (or shoot me a PM) a photo or scan of your target with as much of the following information as possible: Forum name (or name you want posted in the results), Rifle, make, model, vintage (if known), Sights/Optics (with magnification if applicable), Ammo, Position, Distance, Conditions (in/outdoors, wind, temperature...). Multiple submissions are allowed (in same or different division/class with same or different rifles).

Self-scoring is encouraged and appreciated; all submissions due before August 32nd. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "August Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Centurian22
August 2, 2012, 01:43 AM
Looks like another fun one! Just one question on the scoring... You can only earn 1 "X" by breaking the line within the center bull? Or was this supposed to be like the 'eye' target where a perfect score with all shots breaking said lines would be 50-5x or 100-10x respectively? Can't wait to get out and shoot this one, who knows maybe the wife will tag along and enter again as well.

Thanks as always Mav, and thanks for the clarification.

Maverick223
August 2, 2012, 09:51 AM
Correction made, you can earn 5 and 10 "X" respectively; which should make this just about impossible to ace...now tell the wife to prove me wrong. :p

KSCCHTrainer
August 3, 2012, 07:15 AM
This target is going to be another keeper! Having trouble deciding which rifle I want to shoot this month, the 93R17 or the 10-22.

The .17 punches smaller holes, but I've been having some flyer issues with it lately and not sure if it's ammo or possible copper fouling in the barrel. If I can find a good carbon fiber cleaning rod locally with a .17 brush, gonna use some "Butch's Bore Shine" on it and see if that doesn't cure it. I have just been using a .17 caliber bore snake & Break Free CLP. If that don't work, gonna blame the ammo (bad batch of Hornady 20 grain V-max?) 'cuz it couldn't possibly be too much coffee --- :evil::banghead::):)

Right now, the 10-22 is actually throwing tighter groups and that's a very pleasant surprise! I was going to try "pillar bedding" the stock, but so far the fender washer I'm using to keep the action high enough to insure the barrel free floats seems to be working. Don't want to "fix" something that ain't really broke.

Jim

Maverick223
August 4, 2012, 09:17 AM
Having trouble deciding which rifle I want to shoot this month, the 93R17 or the 10-22.That's an easy question...both. I shot both my 93R17-TR and 10/22 last month and had better luck with the 10/22, but they go back and forth. If the range is sub-50yd. the .22LR has a marked advantage, at greater than 50yds the .17HMR wins handily (barring other circumstances in favor of one or the other).

That's pretty impressive that a 10/22 will shoot with that Savage. It must be set up really well.Neither his 10/22, nor mine, are anywhere near OEM. In my case I have replaced the barrel, stock, and done some trigger work and added a few other accessories. All of the above made a big difference in performance, particularly the stock and trigger modifications. BTW, welcome to THR and the Rimfire Match!

:)

KSCCHTrainer
August 4, 2012, 10:15 AM
Neither his 10/22, nor mine, are anywhere near OEM. In my case I have replaced the barrel, stock, and done some trigger work and added a few other accessories. All of the above made a big difference in performance, particularly the stock and trigger modifications. BTW, welcome to THR and the Rimfire Match!:)

Mav's right, the only thing stock in my 10-22 is the receiver itself and the shell of the trigger group. Barrel has been replaced by an Adams & Bennett heavy barrel, free floated in a Choate "Dragunov" style stock. I've shimmed the hammer, trigger, sear and disconnector pivot surfaces to remove almost all side play and I've also carefully stoned the hammer and sear engagement surfaces to reduce the trigger pull to about 3 pounds. The trigger still has a little creep in it, but it's much better than what it was when I first got it.

I re-worked the original bolt stop to make it an auto-release type (has nothing to do with the accuracy, but sure makes it much more pleasant to operate).

I've also put 6.5-24 X 44mm Optics on it which might seem like overkill, but it's nice to be able to actually see the target (I'm 70 and my eyes don't do open sights very well anymore.)

snakeman
August 4, 2012, 10:53 AM
I'll be entering soon

KSCCHTrainer
August 4, 2012, 12:06 PM
Last night, My wonderful wife brought home 5000 rounds of .22LR ammo she got from a person she works with. She got 10 bricks for $25 a brick. Seems like this lady's husband had passed recently and the gal had no use for it. There were originally 15000 rounds in the lot. Her boss got 5000 rounds, another guy got 5000 and she brought home the other 5K.

Gal had just said she had this bunch of .22 ammo she wanted to get rid of so my wife bought some just to help out. Wonder of wonders when I opened the box this morning and found it was Wolf Match Target and NO I ain't gonna sell any of it! Like that obnoxious Subway avocado sandwich commercial that's been over run lately, "It's super good, and it's super MINE!"

Oh and Maverick, that Aguila stuff shoots really well in the Taurus revolver, it's just the A & B barrel that doesn't seem to like it.

Jim

Maverick223
August 4, 2012, 12:47 PM
Last night, My wonderful wife brought home 5000 rounds of .22LR ammo she got from a person she works with.Like a good woman should. [ducks] :neener: :p

Slapshot
August 4, 2012, 01:04 PM
Unlimited class. I shot a couple of targets this morning, 85 degrees, 60% humidity, and wind 3-6 mph switching. That showed me that I cannot read wind very well. So I just held center and let them fly. My rifle is Ruger 10/22 with stock receiver made in 2011. Fedderson 18" blue .920 barrel, Leupold Vari X III 6.5-20 with AO and target knobs. The bolt is reworked by Que with Power Custom Ti charging handel anf Ti firing pin. The trigger is a Jewell 10/22 model adjusted to 6.5 ounce pull with no overtravel or creep. The stock is From HS Precision made in the late 90's. I have a little more work to get it free floated and have a Gunsmither barrel block to install. I am sorry for the bad picture and will repost it when my new scanner comes in. The ammo is Wolf Match Extra. This target is 100-5X if I scored it properly. The other was 98-8X. I need to get a scoring pin. Anyone know where to order one? My rest is a Hart with a Sinclair top with a Protector 2" sand bag and my rear bag is a Bald Eagle filled with creek sand.
Elmo
PS I have replaced the target photo with a scan.

Centurian22
August 4, 2012, 03:21 PM
Jim: CONGRATS on having an awesome wife! And 'Cudo's' to her for a awesome find! Looks like you're set for a while!

Elmo: Way to set the bar! Sounds like one heck of a rig you've got there any pictures up of it? Very nice shooting!

Maverick223
August 4, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for getting us started, Slapshot! Looks like we've our work cut out for us this time.

As a side-note, those two freebies look to have come in really handy; we might have to add those frustration reducers (it's the beginning of August, we'll call 'em "temperature compensators") to another match in the near future.

Slapshot
August 4, 2012, 05:13 PM
Yes they were very handy, probably the only way I could score this good. But I am practicing to get better on the bench. I have to retrain my body and my brain.
Elmo

KSCCHTrainer
August 5, 2012, 12:37 PM
The .17 punches smaller holes, but I've been having some flyer issues with it lately and not sure if it's ammo or possible copper fouling in the barrel.

Boy do I feel DUMB! Picked up a good carbon fiber cleaning rod, and when I went to give the .17's bore a good scrubbing with Butch's Bore Shine, as soon as I put the rifle in the cleaning rack, I found that everything was loose in the stock. I can't believe that I didn't catch that at the last range session where I was getting anywhere from 1 to 3 flyers in every group. Instead of the KISS rule, I was blaming a fouled bore, ammo etc.

First thing I tell someone else that's having those kind of problems is shake the scope if there is one to make sure the mount is tight. If not, check the action mounting screws to make sure it doesn't move in the stock! DUH! If I'd have followed my own teachings, I wouldn't have had the problem. :banghead:

The screws were actually both loose enough I could turn them with my fingers! Hopefully "lesson learned" (until I forget it again - I AM getting old, you know!)

Now, I gotta get the 93R17 to the range and see which one (it or the 10-22) really shoots better. I'm now betting on the Savage .17! :D

Jim

Slapshot
August 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
Happens to all of us sometime. Glad you caught it.
Elmo

Maverick223
August 5, 2012, 05:36 PM
Add a drop of blue Loc-tite. Then you won't have to worry about it.

Wildcat_Charlie
August 5, 2012, 06:17 PM
Nice snag on that Wolf. I need a break like that on some really good ammo. I hate to pay for it. I just like to shoot it. Too bad they don't give it away. :)

Wildcat_Charlie
August 5, 2012, 07:36 PM
I gotta get the 93R17 to the range and see which one (it or the 10-22) really shoots better. I'm now betting on the Savage .17!

I just got through shooting my Savage MkII. It shot better with CCI SV ammo than my CZ has been shooting with Wolf MT. That wasn't true before. Before I had to use Wolf in the Savage to get it to shoot better than the CZ. I think I'll need to clean the bore on the CZ. I'll be trying some Wolf in my Savage soon to see if I should be shooting it to get those really tight groups. For some reason I just haven't gotten the results I was getting with the CZ. But the truth is I always knew the Savage was more accurate. Just not as much more accurate as what I saw today. I only shot about a box or less and I managed to shoot at least one quarter inch group. I didn't really shoot for groups the rest of the time although I did try one other time for a good group and didn't do as well but I still did pretty well.

KSCCHTrainer
August 6, 2012, 03:17 PM
I decided to forego the loc-tite, but took it to the range anyway.

The 93R17 outshot the 10-22 but not by much. I fired the .17 first as I had to check the zero on it anyway. Took several targets and 50 rounds to re-zero and come up with the target I'm posting. It was pretty hot in the tunnel and by the time I got to the 10-22, I was having to wipe the sweat out of my eyes about every 5 shots or I might have done a little better with it. The 93R17 IS more consistent in shot placement but the 10-22 gives a right good account of itself.

Left target is the .17HMR (Hornady 20 grain XTP) and if I scored it right, it is 100-5X
Right target is the 10-22 .22LR (Wolf Match Target) and if I scored it right it is 99-6X.

Of course both are in the unlimited/target class @ 50 yards from a Caldwell bag rest.

Optics on the .17 is a BSA Sweet 17, 6-18 X 40 set to 18 power and the optics on the 10-22 is also BSA 8-24 X 44 set to 24 power.

Centurian22
August 6, 2012, 04:19 PM
Nicely done Jim. People seem to be jumping on this one early this month.

KSCCHTrainer
August 6, 2012, 05:04 PM
People seem to be jumping on this one early this month.

I hoped to get things started but Slapshot got the first one in. Hopefully there will be a bunch. This target set is not as easy as it first looks and I think it's actually as difficult (if not a bit more so) as the "Tack Driver" from last month.

The .22's with the larger diameter bullet actually have a slight advantage if the shooters can hold them tight on target. That ain't easy either, especially in this heat. C'mon FALL!

Maverick223
August 6, 2012, 06:26 PM
Well done, Jim. This is shaping up to be a fairly tight match.

It appears that your duo shoots just about like mine...neck and neck. I agree with you regarding the .22LRs advantage in this one (same was true with the tack-driver target), it's difficult to find a target (with rules/scoring to match) that is both interesting and evenly matched.

Wildcat_Charlie
August 7, 2012, 06:44 AM
I learned something new yesterday in my shooting. I learned I could be more consistent if I raised my rifle a few inches so I don't need to bend over as far. I expect it to improve my shooting a good bit. It did yesterday. I shot a couple of half inch groups out of maybe 20 rounds. I plinked with another 5 rounds and had one group balloon all the way out to about 3/4ths of an inch. Here's hoping I can become a factor in this contest. :)

RBH44
August 8, 2012, 10:15 PM
OK, I've got my targets printed. I should be able to get out and give it a go early Saturday morning before I have to start on some more of the honey do list.

Chief RID
August 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
I tried to shoot my Glenfield today with a 22 short CB. I just can't get them to group. The LR Subsonic does OK but I am not sure of the velocity on these. They were not good enough for the match.

Maverick223
August 11, 2012, 07:14 PM
Even "match-grade" shorts (there are only a few out there that I'm aware of) don't tend to do as well for me as their full-length (long or long-rifle) cousins. I don't know if it's the case length , the quality control, or simply not enough selection that's the problem, but I tend to avoid shorts for anything important.

KSCCHTrainer
August 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
I think it's probably the case length. Shooting shorts in a chamber designed for Long or Long Rifle cartridges usually causes an accuracy problem as the bullet has to travel too far after leaving the cartridge before it encounters the rifling and may be off the center line by a bit when it gets there.

The bullet being soft lead anyway may deform a bit if it doesn't enter the leade (beginning rifling) straight and that would tend to alter the bullet flight by enough to cause erratic groups.

I've had several rifles (one Remington and one Marlin) that were listed for "Short, Long or Long Rifle" cartridges but always shot more accurately with Long Rifle ammo even though they would feed all three from the tube magazines. Shorts used to be cheaper, but now, it seems as if a box of shorts (if you can even find them) costs 1/2 again as much as LR.

Jim

Maverick223
August 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
I imagine that you're right. They don't have to jump that much, but it only takes a little bump to shave off enough to noticeably deteriorate accuracy.

The only shorts that I shoot now (on any regular basis anyway) are the Aguila Sniper Subsonics, and even those can't really be considered shorts in the traditional sense. Even the Super Colibris that I like to plink with use a long case IIRC.

Chief RID
August 14, 2012, 12:01 AM
I have to agree with the assessment of the shorts. What is the lowest velocity round available as far as you know in the long rifle?

Wildcat_Charlie
August 14, 2012, 06:00 AM
I've been having very good results with CCI HV Shorts. They do 1080 fps with a 29 gr. bullet. They shoot pretty accurate out of my Marlin XT-22TR. I load them in that rifle because I can put 25 of them in the tube and with that kind of power they would be fine as squirrel killers. Those are actually marketed as plinking/target rounds but I have little doubt they would kill a tree rat. There's also the hollow point CCI shorts which are labelled CCI HP Shorts. They are 27 gr. and travel 1105 fps. Those are marketed as varmint rounds.

These shorts do shoot more accurate than any other shorts I've shot but they aren't equal to the accuracy of LR's. Still it's a big jump up from what I'm used to getting from shorts.

Maverick223
August 14, 2012, 11:16 AM
The Colibris are longs (which is very close to LR length) and only 375fps IIRC and the Super Colibris are only 500fps. I've never had either lodge in a long barrel, but I use the Super Colibris because they are just as quiet (neither will cycle a SA at all in my experience, so you don't have to worry about stovepipes, but you will have to manually cycle). Neither are terribly accurate (which can be partially attributed to the trajectory and wind drift), but good enough for plinking and pest control (employed like a moderate-high powered pellet rifle) with a fun little pump rifle.

There is also plenty of other subsonic ammunition out there. Anything from Sniper Subsonics with their heavy bullet and unusually loud acoustic signature to Remington CBees which are very quiet and despite the low velocity seem to expand and kill small game quite well (but are not all that accurate).

Centurian22
August 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
Finally got out and shot this one. Not as good as I had hoped (at least in the optics). It must be the month for loose screws, my turrets on my OLD weaver 3-6x20 were loose. The elevation was so loose that it was changing with recoil (if you can even call it recoil from a .22lr). It took me 3 targets worth to figure it out, then about 25 rds to get sighted back in. Luckily I literally had all day, spent about 6 hours total there (wife was at work). Anyways here they are:

Sporting - Optics - 50 yards:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/CaptainChadB/C0BB4CEC-E2E9-49D2-A1A7-1E720DEC6EDC-5503-0000092B0E394ED8.jpg

Best Sporting - Irons - 25 yards:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/CaptainChadB/93EE77E4-2135-4D25-963A-B364AC9D6B47-5503-0000092B25425DA8.jpg

Second best Sporting - Irons - 25 yards:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/CaptainChadB/504D063C-CD99-4F60-82C3-329964B49BDC-5503-0000092B17B348BA.jpg

Posted the second because it had an X on irons.*

As always, Irons was shot with a single shot J.C. Higgins bolt action .22lr. Optics shot with a Marlin 989, semi-auto .22lr with a weaver 3-6x20, on weaver rings all shot with 40gr CCI Blazer LRN. Shot at an outdoor range, partly cloudy, light variable winds and about 80 degrees.*

Maverick223
August 15, 2012, 08:53 PM
Great shooting, particularly for the sporting division.

Slapshot
August 15, 2012, 09:15 PM
Great shooting, particularly for the sporting division.

+1 on the shooting
Elmo

KSCCHTrainer
August 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
Even a bad day spent shooting is better than a day spent working in my book!

You guys know my penchant for rescuing rifles. Been reading about making the little Crickett youth single shot into a really light survival type pack rifle. Guy on one of our local forums advertised one practically new in the box for $80 and he delivered it so naturally it's now mine.

Hollow stock can be made to carry all sorts of stuff including spare ammo. I gotta learn how to do the "cobra" braid with para-cord so I can make a sling out of the stuff. I've seen pix of one, but never was a boy scout so didn't learn to braid like that. The front of the receiver is drilled and tapped and I have a Vortex "StrikeFire" red-dot scope coming. Palmetto State Armory had them on sale for 50 bucks off with free shipping so I got one for $120 and it mounts using one ring. I'll have to find a base to fit the two holes so I can mount it on the Crickett. Funny, as light as the little rifle is, the scope may weigh more than the gun - :)

I have fairly short arms so even with the youth stock it's not uncomfortable to shoulder and even with the peep rear, it comes up and points naturally. I could order an adult size stock for it, but that would defeat the idea of a back-pack gun.

I've got to get it to the range tomorrow and adjust the opens so I'll try it on the match target with some of that Aguila stuff that the 10-22 doesn't particularly like. We'll see how it does.

I'll post pix after I get the red-dot mounted this weekend. (Assuming I can find a single base that fits the hole pattern.)

Jim

Maverick223
August 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
I have fairly short arms so even with the youth stock it's not uncomfortable to shoulder and even with the peep rear, it comes up and points naturally. I could order an adult size stock for it, but that would defeat the idea of a back-pack gun.Perhaps you could figure out a way to modify a folder to fit, you'd loose your storage space, but it'd fit in a backpack a great deal easier (and you could add a side-bag for storage).

I've got to get it to the range tomorrow and adjust the opens so I'll try it on the match target with some of that Aguila stuff that the 10-22 doesn't particularly like. We'll see how it does.Hope it does better for you this time around.

KSCCHTrainer
August 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
Perhaps you could figure out a way to modify a folder to fit, you'd loose your storage space, but it'd fit in a backpack a great deal easier (and you could add a side-bag for storage).

Hope it does better for you this time around.

There isn't a lot too it so I could possibly actually make a folder for it, but I never liked them. The little synthetic that's on it right now is hell for stout and I was quite surprised when it passed the dollar bill test. The barrel IS free-floated. I have heard that these little buggers are pretty decent in the accuracy department. I actually have several nylon slings around here and one of those might just find it's way onto the Crickett. Only reason I wanted to braid one out of para-cord was the idea of having that much para cord along in the field. Never know when you might need to make a bow drill fire starter or something like that - ;)

Crickett makes a longer rail scope mount, but you wind up losing the irons if you use that one. It's cheap enough that I might get one and cut the back half off and just use the front part if I can't find a Weaver base to fit.

Jim

Centurian22
August 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
Are you thinking of doing the entire length of the sling as the cobra weave?!? Or just a portion of it for a wider 'shoulder' section? If you were to do the whole thing I can't even guess how much paracord that would be! ..... Wait I might be thinking of the 'double cobra'. I have one of the wide bracelets and it is about 15 feet of paracord just in the 8-9 inches. Sounds like quite the nice little project gun. I'm guessing it is in the sporting class? I left you plenty of room to out shoot me. Look forward to some pictures.

KSCCHTrainer
August 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
Are you thinking of doing the entire length of the sling as the cobra weave?!? Or just a portion of it for a wider 'shoulder' section? If you were to do the whole thing I can't even guess how much paracord that would be! ..... Wait I might be thinking of the 'double cobra'. I have one of the wide bracelets and it is about 15 feet of paracord just in the 8-9 inches. Sounds like quite the nice little project gun. I'm guessing it is in the sporting class? I left you plenty of room to out shoot me. Look forward to some pictures.

I looked up how to do it on youtube and not sure I want to tackle it. I'll just put a 20' coil of the stuff in the buttstock compartment and use a regular black nylon adjustable sling on it. I do have a 2000 foot spool of OD paracord though so not going to run out of it on one sling - :D I've set up a magnesium fire starter along with some other stuff plus a spool of 10lb monofilament and a handful of fishhooks in there as well plus a box of .22LR. All of this is in a ziplock baggie to keep it mostly waterproof.

Gonna zero the iron sights tomorrow and even though I don't see that well, I'll try one of the match targets anyway. 25 yards with the sling & elbow on the counter for support.

Jim

Maverick223
August 15, 2012, 11:17 PM
I tried doing a double-cobra for the strap on my shotgun, but gave up and created my own weave that went a lot quicker. If I really wanted the cobra style, I'd pay for someone else to do it, it just isn't worth my time. Additionally, I can't think of a good way to make it adjustable, and since I like to use my sling for shooting, that makes it of little use, so I decided to stick with the SuperSling-2s. They're strong, durable, and cheap...I can do without the paracord.

Centurian22
August 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
I recently 'stocked' the hollow stock on my .308 savage axis as well. Nothing major, just duct tape, string and a small bic lighter wrapped in cloth to help pad the stuff, fill the space, deaden the hollow sound and it will work well for wrapping wounds or as a fire starter. I like the ziplock bag idea and I meant to include a small knife but forgot. I may have to tear it apart again to make these couple of improvements.

KSCCHTrainer
August 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
I recently 'stocked' the hollow stock on my .308 savage axis as well. Nothing major, just duct tape, string and a small bic lighter wrapped in cloth to help pad the stuff, fill the space, deaden the hollow sound and it will work well for wrapping wounds or as a fire starter. I like the ziplock bag idea and I meant to include a small knife but forgot. I may have to tear it apart again to make these couple of improvements.
If you have a Harbor Freight anywhere near you, get one of their miniature "box knives" with the replaceable blades. It usually comes with a 5 or 10 pack of extra blades and if not, grab some extras. They usually sell for less than 5 bucks and I grabbed a couple the last time I was in there. Handy to keep around the house as well. They usually have those magnesium block (with a flint strip on one side) fire starters in stock too. I like them because they come with a short chunk of hacksaw blade that can be used to scrape magnesium flakes onto the tinder pile and then act as the striker on the flint strip. Handy after the Bic lighter runs dry and they usually only cost a couple bucks too.

Hadn't thought about the duct tape - that's added to the "stock" now, THANKS!

Centurian22
August 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
No prob Jim! I just pull off a foot or so to get started and fold the duct tape in on itself (starting a new roll) about an inch long, and keep going until I think it's enough, or no more will fit where I plan to put it. Unfortunately no H.F. stores around here but we have a military surplus place which has the Magnesium/flint strips and other such items.

As of right now none of the places I hunt are Really Far out there so what I do bring is probably complete overkill but that's the Eagle Scout in me. If / when I venture further or if I see a good deal on the mag. strips I'll upgrade / add them to my kit.

Did ya get out with those iron sights today as planned?

KSCCHTrainer
August 17, 2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I did. Forgot to take a match target with me, but once I figured out where it was shooting, I managed a decent 10 shot 25 yard group. It was actually 2 5 shot groups, but I couldn't figure out how to get On-Target to split the two groups and properly place the text so I just ran it as one.

Never did get the windage adjustment right though and they are slightly right of the bull and a little low. I WAS shooting off bags as I was trying to zero the mechanical sights.

I hate peep sights with Non-Vernier windage adjustments!

Jim

Maverick223
August 17, 2012, 10:10 AM
If you must (and it's in a dovetail, which I assume is correct) you can drift the sight to make corrections, just remember to move the rear sight in the direction you want the projectile to follow (and the opposite for the front sight). If there's no mechanical adjustment you'll have to modify the height of the front sight to change the elevation. In your case the front post needs to be filed down ever so slightly...if you try this work slow as it's much easier to remove metal than put it back.

KSCCHTrainer
August 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
If you must (and it's in a dovetail, which I assume is correct) you can drift the sight to make corrections, just remember to move the rear sight in the direction you want the projectile to follow (and the opposite for the front sight). If there's no mechanical adjustment you'll have to modify the height of the front sight to change the elevation. In your case the front post needs to be filed down ever so slightly...if you try this work slow as it's much easier to remove metal than put it back.

Oh, it's adjustable, you have to loosen a screw and slide the aperture right or left, but when you tighten the screw back down, it tends to slide a bit and it's very hard to move it the thousandth or so needed to center it up exactly.

Sure wish somebody made an aftermarket vernier sight to fit it. The elevation part of the adjustment slides up and down in a vertical dovetail on the rear of the receiver, but that was right on for 25 yards with the Aguila and Wolf ammo so I left it alone.

Oh well, this thing wasn't designed as a target rifle anyway so I'm expecting FAR too much out of it ;) I'll solve the problem by mounting a red dot on it that cost half again what I paid for the rifle :evil:

Even with the irons set where they are, it's perfect as a very small and light pack rifle. The accuracy is completely acceptable and it's going to be a fun rifle to plink with as well as a fine little SHTF gun.

Slapshot
August 17, 2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks to whoever it was that suggested getting a scoring pin. I shot a pair of targets this morning with my new mueller scope, 8-32X 40 target. I scored one as 100 7X and the other as 98 7X. Went to the post office and my scoring pin was there. I scored the targets with the pin and the 100-7X turned to a 100-6X. The 98-7X turned into a 100-7 X. Sometimes it gives and sometimes it takes away. I received it from www.hughesprecision.com , very nice people to deal with.
Elmo

Maverick223
August 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
Jim, what about loosening the screw, adding a little blue LocTite 242 to the bottom of the sight, then adjusting it to the proper position. Let it sit and cure for an hour, then tighten the screw. The LocTite will hold it better anyway, and if you need to move it in the future you can just give it a few light raps with a brass punch and it'll free up.

KSCCHTrainer
August 17, 2012, 02:34 PM
Jim, what about loosening the screw, adding a little blue LocTite 242 to the bottom of the sight, then adjusting it to the proper position. Let it sit and cure for an hour, then tighten the screw. The LocTite will hold it better anyway, and if you need to move it in the future you can just give it a few light raps with a brass punch and it'll free up.

Gotcha beat on that one Mav, Already had the blue loc-tite in the kit, but I have to wait for another range trip to complete it. I really need to move it, lock it down and shoot it to insure that it's where I really want it. That's what I'm grousing about - ;) In the dim light at the range it's hard to see the index marks which ain't all that accurate anyway. The way it is right now, depending on which way the squirrel is headed, a back of the head hold will result in a head or spine shot. Either way, dead squirrel - :)

KSCCHTrainer
August 18, 2012, 02:40 PM
Got the Vortex StrikeFire red/green dot in yesterday and mounted it on the Crickett for grins & giggles. (Scope cost half again as much as I paid for the rifle. $120 for the scope, $80 for the rifle.) Midway has a Millett red dot in the catalog for $56 + shipping and I think I'll actually get one of those for the Crickett. I plan on putting the Vortex on the .223 pump carbine and picking up the 2X screw in magnifier for it which will give it a bit more versatility.

Took it to the range this morning to sight it in and once I got 'er zeroed at 25 yards, I stapled up one of the match targets.

The green dot was the easiest to see against the target, but the dot diameter was just slightly smaller than the bullseye at 25 yards so it was really hard to keep it lined up! Sat on a stool, with elbows on the counter and used the sling for tension. I really went slow and tried very hard to keep that dot just covering each target. Good thing there were 2 throw aways as I had 3 of the 12 in the outer white rings and only had to count one of them! After I shot the target with the red/green dot I realized I could see through the rings and actually use the irons so I shot another match target with them, but it wasn't even close to the score with the little Vortex scope. Scores were 84 with the red/green dot scope and 49 with irons.

I was frankly very pleased with the inherent accuracy in that little Crickett .22 and I can see why it's become a real standard for teaching young children to shoot! I had several 5 shot groups under an inch at 25 yards from a bag rest when I was sighting it in.

It also has all the makings of a very light (around 2 pounds or so), accurate, survival rifle. Some people think that a semi-auto is better for a survival scenario, but I like the single shot platform. You tend to be a little more diligent in placing your shots rather than relying on the semi for a quick backup shot if you miss. Like Mel Gibson said to his kids in "The Patriot", "Aim small, miss small!" Good philosophy.

Midway has the "Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Pack" on sale for $37 and I ordered one to put in the stock. It has just about everything for a minimalist survival situation except for some band-aids and Iodine which was easily added.

Ala Centurian22, I also put in a few feet of duct tape and a 50 foot hank of Para Cord along with a full box of .22LR. Everything is wrapped in a micro-fiber towel for padding and to keep it from rattling. It all fits nicely.

Adds less than a pound to the weight of the rifle which slings over either shoulder nicely and I don't have to shorten or lengthen the sling to use it for a steady hold either. Fits me just perfectly!.

To quote old Hannibal Smith from the "A Team" just when everything was going to hell in a handbasket, "I Love It When A Plan Comes Together!".

Centurian22
August 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
Two things I noticed and I'm sure maverick can clarify for us: first it's a different target for irons / red dot at 25 yards, it only has 6 bulls (larger) and one "freebie". And in your scoring it's supposed to be 1-5 points for the "outer rings" so for example your first target 'discards' would be scored 5(upper) and 3(lower) respectively. Hope this helps and hope I'm not wrong making a fool of myself. Lol either way nice shooting and glad the project rifle performed so well, and all the extra's fit nicely and didn't add much weight.

Mr.Revolverguy
August 18, 2012, 07:52 PM
Shot 3 times today at 50 Yards outdoors.
80 degrees shifting winds left to right -- right to left 1 to 3mph.

CZ452 Varmint only 158 rounds through it so far.
Weaver Classic 3-9x32 A/O

Shot from Bench with Bipod

First try was scored by the range master at 95-5x
Second try was scored by range master at 96-5x
Official Submission and 3rd try for the target below scored by range master at 98-5x

Ammo used was Federal Gold Match. First 100 rounds was Wolf Match but which seems to shoot a bit better but I am waiting for my bulk order to come in.

http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/CZ452Varmint.jpg

KSCCHTrainer
August 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
Two things I noticed and I'm sure maverick can clarify for us: first it's a different target for irons / red dot at 25 yards, it only has 6 bulls (larger) and one "freebie". And in your scoring it's supposed to be 1-5 points for the "outer rings" so for example your first target 'discards' would be scored 5(upper) and 3(lower) respectively. Hope this helps and hope I'm not wrong making a fool of myself. Lol either way nice shooting and glad the project rifle performed so well, and all the extra's fit nicely and didn't add much weight.
I had forgotten about the different target for irons. Both my target rifles have high power optics on them and I had not intended shooting irons or red dot so I never printed any of the 6X targets. The bulls would have been bigger too. No biggie, I'll re-shoot it next time I'm at the range which will be early next week anyway. I do have 10 of the 6 bull targets in the bag now, thanks for reminding me. BTW that package went out last night as our local grocery store has a branch PO and wife wanted some munchies so I got there before the last pickup of the day. You ought to have it probably Tuesday.

Mr.Revolverguy, them CZ's shoot pretty doggone good, don't they? Nice shooting! My 10-22 likes the Wolf much better than anything by Federal. It doesn't like Aguila Gold Medal Match Rifle either, but the little Crickett loves the stuff. I've got 5K of the Wolf and 1K of the Aguila, plus a couple K of Federal bulk pack stuff and some Armscor. Don't think I'm gonna run out of .22 for a while - :evil:

Centurian22
August 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
Mr. Revolverguy, nice work. I really eagerly await the day I have a rifle accurate enough to participate/compete in the 'unlimited/target' category.

Jim, Thanks a Bunch! And good luck with the targets next week, I'll be watching for them.

Maverick223
August 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
Two things I noticed and I'm sure maverick can clarify for us: first it's a different target for irons / red dot at 25 yards, it only has 6 bulls (larger) and one "freebie". And in your scoring it's supposed to be 1-5 points for the "outer rings" so for example your first target 'discards' would be scored 5(upper) and 3(lower) respectively. Hope this helps and hope I'm not wrong making a fool of myself. Lol either way nice shooting and glad the project rifle performed so well, and all the extra's fit nicely and didn't add much weight.You got it right. Hope I didn't make it too terribly confusing. BTW, that is some great shooting with irons, Jim. I'm sure you'll have no problem doing very well with the irons target.

KSCCHTrainer
August 18, 2012, 10:17 PM
You got it right. Hope I didn't make it too terribly confusing. BTW, that is some great shooting with irons, Jim. I'm sure you'll have no problem doing very well with the irons target.

Thanks Mav,
Like I said earlier, that darn little Cricket really amazed me. Mind you, I was using match grade ammo and have not shot any of the cheap stuff in it yet, but for a little 2 pound single shot, it falls into the same category as that Romanian trainer I used to have, pretty doggone accurate for a cheaply made rifle. Whatever they did, I hope they keep it up.

My grandkids are all old enough to buy their own guns so the Crickett will either get used by me as a survival rifle or passed along to a great grandkid assuming I live long enough to have any ;)

KSCCHTrainer
August 20, 2012, 10:47 AM
Taking the Crickett back to the range in about an hour (with the right targets this time) and I'll give it another go with the 6 bull target to see what kind of score I can really get with the Irons and then again with the red-dot.

It's light enough that using my elbow on the counter with the sling for tension is dang near as good as using the Caldwell shooting bag. Wish I could have been that steady with my M1 Garand's sling back in the day!
EDIT:
Targets below for this morning's session.

25 yards, Crickett single shot .22LR, sitting with elbows on the counter and the sling for tension. Ammo Aguila Golden Eagle match 40 grain .22LR.
Scores: Iron sights 36 with possibly 1 X it's pretty close to call, Vortex unmagnified red-dot, 41.

Slapshot
August 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
I sanded out the barrel channel because the barrel was touching in one place. I shot two targets today and the second one was 100-10 X scored with a Huges Precision 22 pin and a 4X magnifier. used 10/22 with Feddersen 18" blue bull barrel, Jewel trigger set to 6.5 ounces, bolt reworked by Que, and a HS Precision stock that I free floated. Hart rest and bald eagle rear bag. The scope is a Mueller 8-32X44 target on Leupold base and 30 mm medium rings. Ammo is wolf match extra.
Unlimited class 100 - 10 X

Elmo

Maverick223
August 21, 2012, 10:55 AM
Excellent shooting, Slapshot!

Slapshot
August 21, 2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks Maverick.
Elmo

Centurian22
August 21, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yes very nice work indeed slapshot! I can't even imagine a 6.5oz trigger as I have never owned or handled any such bench rest beauty. Sounds (and looks) like a great rig you've got.

KSCCHTrainer
August 21, 2012, 03:45 PM
bolt reworked by Que.
Elmo
Hey Elmo,
I've read a lot of good things about what Que can do with 10-22 parts but please enlighten me on how to get in touch with him and what exactly he does to the bolt.

I've polished mine and made sure there are no burrs or rough surfaces on it anywhere, but I'm sure there are more things that can be done to improve it.

Even if I can get mine shooting as good as yours, I can't beat that score, only tie it -- Damn good shooting!

Jim

Slapshot
August 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
This is Que's url. https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/
He sets the headspace, pins the firing pin and shapes the fp if it is a stock one and he contours the bolt so that it works smoother and seems to help with subsonic round cycling. My rifle was throwing an unexplained flyer every now and then. After he did mine the rifle grouped better. Send him an email, he is good about getting back to you.
Thanks for the kind words. That was really neat what you did with the Crickett. I bought one for my only grandson and he loves it and is learning to shoot pretty good also. Six years old, start them early!
Elmo

KSCCHTrainer
August 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
This is Que's url. https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/
He sets the headspace, pins the firing pin and shapes the fp if it is a stock one. My rifle was throwing an unexplained flyer every now and then. After he did mine the rifle grouped better. Send him an email, he is good about getting back to you.
Thanks for the kind words. That was really neat what you did with the Crickett. I bought one for my only grandson and he loves it and is learning to shoot pretty good also. Six years old, start them early!
Elmo
Thanks for the info. Re. the Crickett, it's not a complete project yet, but it's close. For myself, with my tired old vision, I prefer V notch rear sights to peeps and I've ordered an aperture from Keystone's spare parts department. I'll take a triangular file to that one and make myself a V out of it but keep the original peep in the off chance that I wind up selling it somewhere down the line.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm frankly very pleased with the inherent accuracy of the little bugger. The barrel IS free-floated as it comes from the factory and the synthetic stock is sturdy with no side play or weak points like some other brands. My arms are just short enough that I can shoulder the youth stock though it is right on the edge of being too short. I'm working on shaping an inch thick extension to the butt plate that will take care of that problem without looking out of place. More pix later when I get that accomplished. Heck, I might even put a 4 power scope on it and shoot it in the sporting "Optics" class.

Jim

Centurian22
August 21, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hey Jim,

What are you making the extension out of? Also you going to hollow out that inch long extension so you have just a little more storage space?!? Lol I bet it would do just fine in the optics with that 4x, let's see it.

KSCCHTrainer
August 21, 2012, 07:33 PM
Hey Jim,

What are you making the extension out of? Also you going to hollow out that inch long extension so you have just a little more storage space?!? Lol I bet it would do just fine in the optics with that 4x, let's see it.
I've got a block of what I think is Delrin that I picked up from the local aircraft surplus store in Wichita. I'm going to try to shape that and yes, I plan on hollowing it out to the point I can store some more ammo or something in it. Pix if/when I make it work.

Wildcat_Charlie
August 22, 2012, 09:57 PM
Well I don't know why I bother posting this but here goes. I shot a 10 - 5X (I think anyway - I'm not sure how to score some of my shots so any guidance would be appreciated - possibly I might have a 6X but it don't matter anyway since it ain't a 10X that's for sure). I used a CZ 453 with Federal Premium Gold Medal UltraMatch (dang stuff is too expensive).

http://www.a-framevideo.com/Aug%2022%202012%20target%20b.jpg

Wildcat_Charlie
August 22, 2012, 10:09 PM
I looked back at Jim's 10 - 5X target and saw he was a lot more stringent on his scoring than I was. I was going by what happened last month when people were taking into account grease rings etc.. So I don't really know what to think. I believe Jim's target is better than mine for sure.

BTW my target does fall into the unlimited category.

KSCCHTrainer
August 23, 2012, 02:13 PM
Had to try one more time with the Vortex red/green dot before I took it off and put it on the Remington 7615P .223 pump. I did manage to better my score by using shooting stix instead of the sling. Got just a bit more stability.

Position seated, with crossed shooting stix, at 25 yards

Rifle Crickett .22LR 16" barrel using Aguila Golden Eagle match ammo.
Optic: Unmagnified Vortex StrikeFire red/green dot. Dot is supposed to be 4 MOA but if you set it to green and the dimmest it will go it appears less than that and just covers the red portion of the bull @ 25 yards. Any brighter and it blooms much bigger.

Score 47-1X with 1 of the 8's as a throwaway.

I put the Vortex on the .223 and sighted it in. Final group was quarter sized for 3 shots at 50 yards so will leave it along. I'm going to put the 4X tactical scope that was on the .223 on the Crickett as soon as I find a heavy enough "see-through" ring so I can mount it using only the front ring like is done with the Vortex. The BSA 4X tactical is lighter so it should work just fine.

The Crickett probably will never be good enough for even the sporting optics division so it's competition days are probably over and once I get the stock extension finished it will get a coat of Break Free collector's preservative and put in the closet with the back-pack and bug-out bag.

Midway had a sale on tactical rifle cases - 42" AR style (works for the 7615P pump and the "mini-Dragunov" 10-22) so I ordered 2 of them for $19.95 apiece. You can get them in black or OD and being retired Army, I got the OD ones, naturally.

Maverick223
August 23, 2012, 03:14 PM
Excellent shooting, Jim!

In response to those MidwayUSA rifle cases. I don't recall the size (I think it was one of the 46" ones), but I have one in OD and the plastic D-ring securing the shoulder strap broke under the stress of a heavy precision rifle (figure about 17lbs of rifle), dropping said rifle (fortunately on the butt rather than the muzzle). Other than that they are a pretty decent case, but I wouldn't use one for anything heavy or particularly valuable.

KSCCHTrainer
August 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
Excellent shooting, Jim!

In response to those MidwayUSA rifle cases. I don't recall the size (I think it was one of the 46" ones), but I have one in OD and the plastic D-ring securing the shoulder strap broke under the stress of a heavy precision rifle (figure about 17lbs of rifle), dropping said rifle (fortunately on the butt rather than the muzzle). Other than that they are a pretty decent case, but I wouldn't use one for anything heavy or particularly valuable.

The strap is sewn to the case at the muzzle end using a parachute rigger's square/cross pattern. There were plastic D rings and buckles like on some slings at the back end, but I replaced the D rings with metal ones so there shouldn't be a problem with these. I've never had a problem with Midway's but have had them break on some obtained from other sources, so I usually replace them with some I bend up from 3/16 steel rod from the hardware store.

Thanks for the heads-up anyway and you're right, you have to watch some of that kind of stuff.

Centurian22
August 24, 2012, 12:21 AM
Well congrats Jim, ya bested me for this month in sporting irons and I don't have a chance to get out again and give it another go. Nice shooting! I'm curious as to why you think the cricket wouldn't perform / place well in the optics?

KSCCHTrainer
August 24, 2012, 07:30 AM
The groups are dime to nickel size at 25 yards, but they open up to 50 cent piece size beyond that. I haven't found the ammo it totally likes yet so decided to quit messing with the thing for the time being. After shooting it yesterday, I've even decided not to go with the 1" stock extension. I don't want to get it beyond the "It ain't broke, don't fix it" stage which is where it's at right now - ;)

The project's idea was to make a perfectly acceptable survival rifle out of the Crickett that would be easily duplicatable by anyone that wanted to do so. I believe I've done that, and any further refinements might be counterproductive considering what I've achieved so far with it.

I did get another one of those little $60 BSA tactical scopes in from Optics Planet yesterday evening (UPS keeps delivering later and later! 8:30 p.m. for this one).

I ordered one before I decided to swap out the one on the .223 pump and I've decided to keep that one as-is so if I ever need to I can drop it back on the .223 without having to re-zero it other than fine tuning. I put it in a small, foam lined hard case that fits a pocket on the Midway tac rifle case for the pump. The other 4 pockets are full of 30 round mags.

I'll mount the new one on the Crickett sometime today after I hit the local Walmart and get another set of the Weaver strap mount "see-through" rings. One of those ought to be heavy enough to use for mounting that light 4X scope if I put it up against the turrets on the front part of the tube - should help balance it and with roughly zilch recoil on the .22 I doubt I'll have much of a problem. Should be able to use the irons as well without having to remove the scope. There WILL be one more range session to zero the scope after mounting and I'll try and remember to take along a couple of the 12X targets for a 50 yard try from my Caldwell bag rest. I'll be using the rest to zero the scope anyway.

If that works, it's what I'll recommend for the S/R conversion. The other solution for those with good eyes would be the $60 Millett red dot. It's precision enough and not too pricey. Stay away from anything made by NC Star though, even .22 recoil tends to shred them!

Jim

Maverick223
August 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
The strap is sewn to the case at the muzzle end using a parachute rigger's square/cross pattern. There were plastic D rings and buckles like on some slings at the back end, but I replaced the D rings with metal ones so there shouldn't be a problem with these. I've never had a problem with Midway's but have had them break on some obtained from other sources, so I usually replace them with some I bend up from 3/16 steel rod from the hardware store.

Thanks for the heads-up anyway and you're right, you have to watch some of that kind of stuff.I might have just gotten a bad one (Midway doesn't make them, and by all appearances works hard to ensure that they put their name on quality gear), and it was under a fair bit of weight, so that has to be factored in. Other than that issue, I'm pretty happy with mine and like you have since replaced the D-ring with steel.

MrBorland
August 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
Been meaning to take a whack at THR's rimfire match someday, so I warmed up my range session today with one of your targets. Tough challenge! Thanks.

Rifle: CZ452 Lux, with BRNO aperture sights (puts me in Unlimited, no?).
Ammo: CCI SV
Distance: 25 yards
Position: prone, with sling.
Score = 47-1x

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/AugustTHRRimfirePostal.jpg

KSCCHTrainer
August 24, 2012, 09:10 PM
Rifle: CZ452 Lux, with BRNO aperture sights (puts me in Unlimited, no?).
Position: prone, with sling.
Score = 47-1x

Nope, unless those aperture sights are magnified, they count as irons I believe. If you had been in unlimited, the range would have to be 50 yards and the 12 bull target would have been appropriate. Maverick will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you did it right.

Good shooting!

Jim

Maverick223
August 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
Nope, unless those aperture sights are magnified, they count as irons I believe. If you had been in unlimited, the range would have to be 50 yards and the 12 bull target would have been appropriate. Maverick will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you did it right.Unlimited/Target class is applicable for both magnified (12 bulls @ 50yds.) and non-magnified (6 bulls @ 25yds.) divisions. As to whether those sights qualify as target sights, and therefore bump you up to the Unlimited/Target class, I don't know as I'm not familiar with them. If they are a military type aperture, no...if a target aperture, then yes.

Impressive shooting either way.

MrBorland
August 24, 2012, 10:07 PM
As to whether those sights qualify as target sights, and therefore bump you up to the Unlimited/Target class, I don't know as I'm not familiar with them. If they are a military type aperture, no...if a target aperture, then yes.

Not my gun, but here are pics (pulled off the web) of the front & rear BRNO sights on my gun. The sight picture is precise, but too small for general all-around "sporter" use, so the gun, in this form, is likely more target than sporter.

http://www.stampola.com/guns/dsc05132.jpg

http://www.stampola.com/guns/dsc05135.jpg

Maverick223
August 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
I agree, looks like target sights to me.

KSCCHTrainer
August 25, 2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the correction Mav, I forgot there was a Target unmagnified class at 25 yards. Hey, that means I don't have to try and break a tie! Not that I'd even worry about it - :)

Mr.Revolverguy
August 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
I headed out to the range today, it was beautiful 85 degrees clear sunny day with winds from 1 to 5mph. I decided to grab one of my prized possessions from the back of the safe, my grandad's 1956 Marlin 81DL with a Williams peep site. What fond childhood memories this brought back. Having shot so well with Iron sites I know an angel was looking over me today as every time I pulled the trigger I could see and feel the wind stop blowing.

Class: Sporting
Rifle: Marlin 81DL 1956 Bolt Action-- Williams Rear Peep Sight

Ammo: Wolf on the top 3 -- CCI SV on the bottom 3. I know you should never change ammo when shooting for score. I was trying to find what it liked most didn't really seem to matter.

Position: Sitting with elbow rested on the bench

Yardage: 25

Score: Top 10-3-10 Bottom 5-8-10 Total=43-0X Top middle target (3) excluded

http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/Marlin81%20DL.jpg
http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/Marlin81%20DL-Target.jpg

Slapshot
August 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
Good shooting!
Elmo

Centurian22
August 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
Very nice work. Glad to see / have some more competition in the sporting categories! I'll have to step up my game a little more next month.

Edit: Though I just noticed something:
10+10+10+8+5= 43 last I checked?

Mr.Revolverguy
August 26, 2012, 07:56 AM
Yes my math is off LOL.

KSCCHTrainer
August 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
Yes my math is of LOL.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that can't add right - ;) I've had a couple like that but it's always more face-reddening when you add an extra one rather than subtract it which is what I usually wind up doing.

Still very good shooting and those older Marlin 81DL's are really super rifles! Yours looks almost new. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of the one I had but somebody offered me about twice what I paid for it so, me being the mercenary type that I am, he now owns it.

Jim

Mr.Revolverguy
August 26, 2012, 10:59 AM
Alright fellas my 8 year old son saw me posting my results online yesterday and I explained to him what we were doing. He asked if he could try with his rifle :)

It is first rifle I just got him a few months back, it is a Ruger 10/22 takedown with a Leupold FX-1 4x28mm scope on it.

My question is --- this means he would have to compete in the Sporting Optics class at 50 yards right?

Maverick223
August 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
My question is --- this means he would have to compete in the Sporting Optics class at 50 yards right?You got it. Tell your boy we're happy to have him on board!

Mr.Revolverguy
August 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
I really screwed up so I did not score this target for my son. I took the 25yard instead of the 50yard target to the range.

Shot at 50yards
10/22 Takedown Leupold FX-1 4x28
Position Sitting with elbow rested on table
Ammo bulk box CCI Blazer 40gr

We had a great time together today even the wife went with us. Right now he is not to upset with me about not being able to score his target since we all had a blast no pun intended. I did tell him we will try to get out again before the end of the month.

I asked him what he wants his online username to be and he said "Deadeye Sniper" LOL

http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/Son8yroldRuger10-22TD.jpg

Maverick223
August 26, 2012, 05:33 PM
We had a great time together today even the wife went with us. Right now he is not to upset with me about not being able to score his target since we all had a blast no pun intended.That's what's important. If you can get back out there great, if not, at least you enjoyed yourselves. If no one else has a problem with it (I don't see why they would as the maximum score is less), I'm okay with scoring it like the non-magnified (in the magnified div., sporting class) unless, of course, he has a chance to better it before the close of the match.

KSCCHTrainer
August 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
I certainly don't have a problem with that Mav, He did a good job with that 10/22. I wish I had been that good a shot when I was 8! Too many years ago to count now - :rolleyes:

Centurian22
August 27, 2012, 01:55 AM
No problem here! Awesome shooting for anyone but especially an 8 year old!!! Looks like a 40-0x going in the sporting magnified? Congrats welcome and I hope he competes every month like this! Nothing like being kept on our toes by a "Deadeye Sniper".

KSCCHTrainer
August 27, 2012, 01:50 PM
Boy, I don't remember who told me about it. I don't think it was on here, maybe one of the local boards in the Wichita area that I frequent, but I found an absolutely outstanding drop-in replacement trigger for the 10/22!

Made by Kidd Innovative Design. They had it on sale for $89 shipped so I bit the bullet and ordered one. Wow. when they said drop-in, they really meant it. Took less than 15 minutes from start to finish (included take-down & re-assembly of the rifle to the stock).

It's actually a trigger & hammer combination and includes precision machined pins to eliminate any wobble at all. The trigger has an allen screw in it to adjust for over-travel and the sear has one as well to adjust the take-up to eliminate creep. Both were perfectly adjusted for the polymer trigger housing group and it really was a "drop-in" fit. Pull measures a consistent 2.6 pounds on my Timney gauge and feels really nice.

Gotta get it back to the range sometime this week and see if I can maybe tie Slapshot's score - :D

KSCCHTrainer
August 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
Hey Jim,

Hey Centurian, the stuff I was trying to make that extension out of turned out to be too brittle to cut well so I gave up on it. I did manage to pack quite a bit of minimalist survival stuff in it and wrap the stock with 30' of para cord. As soon as I find a small (31 or 32") case it's going to get racked under the back deck in my car trunk. That way, if I ever get stranded off the beaten path for very long, I'll have some of the necessities and packed that way, it will meet the federal requirements of "unloaded & cased" for most states. I ain't planning on going to Illinois, New York or New Jersey though as they don't abide by any laws known to man anyway!

MrBorland
August 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
I took another target with me to the range today. Mostly curious to see if I could improve on the 47-1x I scored with my BRNO-sighted CZ452 (target/unmagnified class). Sorry for the poor quality pic (camera has a bug, it seems), but I managed a 48-1x (prone, with a sling), which is about as good as this shooter can do. ;)

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/AugustTHRrimfireMatch3.jpg

Maverick223
August 28, 2012, 09:38 PM
If you keep it up you'll have it aced in a couple more outings. ;)

MrBorland
August 29, 2012, 10:31 AM
If you keep it up you'll have it aced in a couple more outings.

Thanks, but that's as good as we (me, gun & ammo) can do right now.

I use CCI SV as general target ammo; it seems to do relatively well across the board, so I can stock up on it and use it in a number of guns with reasonable accuracy. A little time spent experimenting to find this gun's preferred ammo would be worthwhile, though. 'Course, more practice never hurts, either. :p

Thanks for a good match!

KSCCHTrainer
August 31, 2012, 03:38 PM
Final outing with the 10/22 for this month. Came close but didn't ace it. Had a bunch of local swat guys getting some instruction on 3 of the 5 lanes and they were pretty raucus, not to mention the fact they seemed to think the range rules didn't apply to them! would have liked to stick around and shoot a couple more targets, but those guys were swinging M4 carbines all over the place with magazines inserted and muzzle sweeping everyone. Had to go up and get management to come talk with them about safety rules.

Class Unlimited/Target Hi Mag optics
Rifle custom 10/22 - 18" Adams & Bennett bull barrel
Choate "Dragunov" stock
BSA 6-24 X 44 scope set to 18 power
Ammo Wolf Match Target 40 grain .22LR
Rest - Caldwell shooting bag front, sand sock rear
Position, seated at bench

First target wound up scoring 100-6X but the one I'm showing is 100-8X

Centurian22
August 31, 2012, 04:47 PM
Nice work squeezing in one more on the last day of the month Jim, and as always nice shooting!

Maverick223
August 31, 2012, 05:50 PM
I'd call that aced, you might not have every possible X, but you have the largest possible number to put in front of em.

ifit
August 31, 2012, 07:05 PM
nice shooting everyone, maverick its already sept and never had time to shoot these matches, is there anyway we could continue this onto september? or you have other ideas for the month

thanks

KSCCHTrainer
August 31, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys,
I had to go try it out anyway, Someone on one of the local Wichita forums turned me on to Kidd Innovative Designs' $89 "drop-in" trigger job. It turned out to really be a drop-in as well. I'd done the stoning myself or the original and got it down to 3.5 pounds but it still had a bit of creep and over travel. Bought a Power Custom trigger, sear/hammer combo from Midway and installed that. It came to 3 pounds with still a bit of creep and some over travel as well. The Kidd Designs trigger, sear & hammer combo dropped in mine with no adjustment needed, but it does have adjustable take-up and over travel and it breaks perfectly at 2 pounds by my Timney trigger gauge. Even the pound and a half reduction with no creep and no over travel made a huge difference in the ability to make it shoot the way I wanted it to. I had to do a bit more work with a file when I got home, but on the Power Custom aluminum competition mag release. It was hanging up on the bolt hold-open device and with the bolt locked back, the mag wouldn't stay in. After a bit of study, I figured out where to remove the metal and now everything works perfectly. The BX-25 mags finally work like they are supposed to - :D Makes the bugger look almost like a Real Dragunov with a huge AK mag in it - :evil:

Maverick223
August 31, 2012, 11:33 PM
nice shooting everyone, maverick its already sept and never had time to shoot these matches, is there anyway we could continue this onto september? or you have other ideas for the month

thanksifit, it's still August here...but I don't think I'll have a chance to shoot this month (=in the next 0.5hr.) either, so barring any disputes I don't have any problem extending the match till the end of September. When the weather turns cold (Nov.-Feb.?) I think I'll make this a bi-monthly match just to give everyone a chance to shoot.

Centurian22
August 31, 2012, 11:41 PM
I'm ok with the extension as it will give me a chance to re-shoot this one. Not to get complicated but is there any chance of the (now) Oct match coming out a week early or having an overlap? I will be gone the whole month of October. This won't be a prob if the Oct will be carried over to Nov like you've discribed for the colder months.

Maverick223
September 1, 2012, 12:01 AM
I'm ok with the extension as it will give me a chance to re-shoot this one. Not to get complicated but is there any chance of the (now) Oct match coming out a week early or having an overlap? I will be gone the whole month of October. This won't be a prob if the Oct will be carried over to Nov like you've discribed for the colder months.Sure, how about a 2wk. extension to this one and a long October match (6wks.)? I anticipate a very busy October as I plan to start the patent application process on a design that I have come up with so I will likely be tied up with attorneys, investors, and potential clients for some time, so a couple extra weeks might allow me to get out and shoot when I otherwise I, too, wouldn't have the opportunity.

Would that work for everyone?

ifit
September 1, 2012, 01:04 AM
2 week extension sounds good, then a long october:cool:. off tomorrow....range here i come:)

KSCCHTrainer
September 1, 2012, 06:44 AM
Works for me too. I'm in the process of buying a server array and it will keep me pretty busy loading and configuring the op systems and other stuff as they are coming to me with bare drives, no software.

Maverick223
September 1, 2012, 10:06 AM
Great, it's settled then.

This one will close on Friday, September 14th and October's match will start on the 15th of September.

RBH44
September 1, 2012, 10:21 PM
It's great to see this extented into Sept. I printed off these targets first thing and fully intended to shoot this one early this month but things just got busy as hell. I've got the next two days off so I'll be out to the range for sure.
BTW, as usual, excellent shooting this month guys. Hope I can measure up!

Maverick223
September 1, 2012, 11:08 PM
Glad to hear it.

Mr.Revolverguy
September 2, 2012, 07:23 PM
Well since we expanded the time for this match, I decided to give it my best try with a AR15 dedicated 22LR platform. The official name I gave it was Mutt. This really was just supposed to be a range test considering I just put an armalite two stage trigger in this spikes lower this morning and wanted to make sure function was 100%.

I was absolutely shocked to find out this would cycle with CCI SV 22LR. I am proud and amazed to report that even with 300 rounds of CCI SV, function was 100%. This was my first group from sandbag rest at 25 yards, 15 shots.
http://www.dayattherange.com//weapons/SpikesAR22%203.jpg
http://www.dayattherange.com//weapons/SpikesAR22%204.jpg
http://www.dayattherange.com//weapons/SpikesAR22%205.jpg

Class: Unlimited, Magnified, Front Sandbag rest, Distance 50yard Indoor Range
Platform: Mutt :) Nikon P-22 2-7x32, Spikes Lower, Armalite 2 Stage Trigger, CMMG with Ciener Conversion upper
First Target:
10, 10X, 10X, 10
10, Discard, 10, 10x
Discard, 10x, 10x, 9
Total=99-5x
http://www.dayattherange.com//weapons/SpikesAR22%201.jpg

Second Target:
Discard, 10x, 9, 10
8, Discard, 10, 9
9, 10x, 10x, 10x
Total=95-4x
http://www.dayattherange.com//weapons/SpikesAR22%202.jpg

I am completely shocked!!!!! But Smiling ear to ear.

Mr.Revolverguy
September 2, 2012, 07:59 PM
I just got this back from ATI, it was the very first version of the GSG5, The ATI Customer Service was top notch. I sent it back to have all the new improvements made to it like the staked ejector. I was also shocked to find this functioned 100% with 200 rounds of CCI SV, all I have ever fed it previously to sending it back was CCI Mini Mags.

Class: Sporting, Seating Elbow Rested on Table, 25 Yards.
Platform: GSG5, Cheap AIM Red Dot
http://www.dayattherange.com//weapons/GSG5-AIM%201.jpg

Target:
Discard, 8, 10x
9, 8, 10
Total = 45-1x
http://www.dayattherange.com//weapons/GSG5-AIM%202.jpg

Maverick223
September 2, 2012, 10:54 PM
Ok Fellas No LaughingI don't know what there is to laugh at...good show in both divisions, Mr.Revolverguy.

Mr.Revolverguy
September 3, 2012, 08:02 AM
I don't know what there is to laugh at...good show in both divisions, Mr.Revolverguy.

Well I figured I would be laughed out of town because of the two platforms. Heck I was even asked by the range officer what's up with the toys.

KSCCHTrainer
September 3, 2012, 08:09 AM
Well I figured I would be laughed out of town because of the two platforms. Heck I was even asked by the range officer what's up with the toys.
Heck, see my post or two on the "Crickett" youth rifle I made into a cheap survival gun. Nobody laughed at that platform and both of yours turned in pretty doggone good accuracy IMO!

I will say that you probably stumbled on the exact ammo that GSG likes after being returned from the factory. After re-barreling my stock 10/22 with a target barrel, it only seems to want Wolf Match Target ammo for real tight groups, but it WILL cycle with about anything.

Again, good shooting.

Mr.Revolverguy
September 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that can't add right - ;) I've had a couple like that but it's always more face-reddening when you add an extra one rather than subtract it which is what I usually wind up doing.

Still very good shooting and those older Marlin 81DL's are really super rifles! Yours looks almost new. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of the one I had but somebody offered me about twice what I paid for it so, me being the mercenary type that I am, he now owns it.

Jim
I refinished the stock on this one, it's worth a lot to me as it was my Grandfathers and has taken many rabbits.

Slapshot
September 4, 2012, 10:25 AM
Here is my submission for open sights. I shot it with a handgun from the Creedmoor position. This is the one that I used to shoot IHMSA .22 Silhouettes with.
Thompson Center Contender
CCI SV
I do not have a open sight rifle so I used what I had. If it doesn't count that is ok. I shot three targets and this one was best. The others were 36 and 40. The record target is 47-2X.

Maverick223
September 4, 2012, 10:18 PM
Well done, Slapshot, and from a somewhat unusual position (at least outside of the competition circuit) to boot. I'm not inclined to create a new division, but pistols are fine. I've shot from the Creedmoor (supine) position with long bbl'd rifles, and though I have seen it done I've never given much thought to trying it with a long bbl'd pistol until now. I might have to give that a shot sometime.

Mr.Revolverguy
September 5, 2012, 12:56 AM
Awesome job slapshot and great idea, I need to try and get out again and see how I can do with this Volquartsen transformed MKII (http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1072)

MrBorland
September 5, 2012, 12:39 PM
Awesome job slapshot

+1.

Very nice. The target, too. ;) Great shooting.

Slapshot
September 5, 2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. The Contender don't shoot as well as it did ten years ago. I think there is something wrong with the sights because I can not see them very well anymore. Tough to get old isn't it?
Elmo

MrBorland
September 7, 2012, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Maverick223
If you keep it up you'll have it aced in a couple more outings.

Thanks, but that's as good as we (me, gun & ammo) can do right now.

I use CCI SV as general target ammo; it seems to do relatively well across the board, so I can stock up on it and use it in a number of guns with reasonable accuracy. A little time spent experimenting to find this gun's preferred ammo would be worthwhile, though.

Well, I picked up some Eley Match ammo, and my CZ seemed to like it a little better than the CCI SV I've been using. I didn't quite ace it, but close, so the ace is still up for grabs. The upper left 10-x was very close, but it nicked the line, confirmed by a superimposed empty case.

Gun: CZ452 UltraLux
Ammo: Eley match
Sights: BRNO aperture
Position: Prone
Class: Target/unmagnified
Score: 50-4x

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/THRrimfire50-4x.jpg

Mr.Revolverguy
September 7, 2012, 09:18 PM
WOW great shooting. I am still on the lookout for which ammo my Savage TR likes.

Awesome shooting

Maverick223
September 8, 2012, 01:41 AM
Very nice, MrBorland!

Centurian22
September 8, 2012, 02:46 AM
Awesome shooting everyone. It's great to see so much more participation in the irons and both sporting classes keep it up!

KSCCHTrainer
September 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
With my penchant for rescuing rimfire guns, I just picked up an almost perfect used Henry lever action .22LR. This gun is a couple years old and has been so well cared for, it looks brand new. Not a chip or ding on the wood and the bluing is perfect. Just brought it home and the only picture I have of it came from my camera phone - not the best. I'll take some better ones in the morning. Will also try to get it to the range in the Irons division before I put the scope on it and again with the scope before the match runs out at the end of the week and see how it shoots.

Testing the action, it's really smooth and feeds 10 snap caps perfectly. It has the factory sling studs installed and I got a little Tasco 3-7 X 30 rimfire scope with it that's new in the box - not mounted and he even added a 100 round box of CCI Mini-Mags.

Jim

Maverick223
September 12, 2012, 08:33 AM
Jim, looks like a fun little lever. Hope she shoots well for you today.

KSCCHTrainer
September 12, 2012, 08:40 AM
According to the guy I got it from, it shoots like a dream. We'll see. I took a couple of pix just a few minutes before you posted this. One without the scope and I just slid the scope on the grooved receiver to show it with the scope. Not going to actually scope it until after I shoot it with the irons which, by the way are pretty nice - square notch rear and the front one, though hooded, has a piece of fiber optic in it and the hood sits just enough forward that the light hits the fiber. In sunlight or decent incandescent light it's really easy to see. That should make it a lot easier for me to shoot with the irons because I can actually see the front sight better.

Here are the pix taken with the big Olympus camera rather than the cell phone.

Have to wait until next month's match before shooting the 10/22 again as I have the barrel in the shop being threaded. Found a local machinist that does excellent work and he only charges $65 if you bring just the barrel. He originally quoted 2 weeks, but I took the .223 barrel in last Friday and got called to come pick it up yesterday. Pretty fast 2 weeks if you ask me - ;)

Jim

Mr.Revolverguy
September 12, 2012, 12:48 PM
Very nice Henry I actually have one as well. I hate the iron sights on it. It would be good for small game hunting but really wanting to test accuracy I bet I would really stink with it. Unfrotunately I just feel like optics don't belong on a lever or rather I can't seem to find a scope that doesn't throw off the lines or ruin the look it seems. I had a Nikon Rimfire on mine and I hated the look.

I am anctiously waiting to see how you do with yours.

Good luck

KSCCHTrainer
September 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
Took the Henry lever gun to the range today. Dang little Tasco scope had some internal loose parts so I trashed it. Gotta look for some 3/8" grooved receiver rings that will fit a 1" tubed scope before I can put optics on it.

Shoots pretty doggone good with irons though I really like that bright red dot created by the fiber optic front sight Even with my eyes, I can see it well.

When I got the3 rifle, the guy gave me a 100 round box of CCI Mini-Mags with it so I zeroed it with them to start. 25 yard group was about 1/2" or maybe a little bigger with them so I put up a match target and fired 6 rounds at it. Wound up 46-1X.

I re-zeroed it with Aguila Golden Eagle match ammo and BIG difference. 50-1X (maybe 2X depending. It looks like the grease ring breaks the X to me but it could go either way.) Positions were sitting with elbow on bench, no sling (I haven't gotten one for it yet). Distance 25 yards.

I AM, quite frankly, very well pleased with the little lever gun and even my wife likes the way it handles so I do believe it's earned a permanent place in the cabinet.

If the rain quits for the weekend as forecast, wifey and I are going out to my buddy Frank's place for an "empty nest" party (his son's off to college and the 2 daughters are in med school). Gonna work on getting the two women some much needed practice with their CCW guns and after that we've got a serious plinking session planned. Got a couple cases of clay's and a pair of dueling trees (one rimfire and one high power) ready to set up. Just got the call from my machinist and the 10/22 barrel is ready so I'll have it back in the gun in time. Now that I have both the .223 and 10/22 barrels threaded, I'm debating on whether we want to spend the big bucks & get some cans for them.

Looking forward to see what Mav comes up with for next month's targets!

Jim

Maverick223
September 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
Jim, I'm not sure that I still have them (may have already gifted them), but I might have a pair of 1in. tip-off rings. I'll take a look in my accessories box this afternoon, and if I do, I'll get them sent your direction.

I think you short changed yourself on the second target, looks like a perfectly good X to me...lets call it 50-2X. I'd say it shoots just as good as it looks, so I'd call it a "keeper" too.

BTW, I know that I originally said that the match would close today, but I think ending it tomorrow would be a better idea since I know a lot of folks haven't the opportunity to shoot on weekdays. I'll see if I can get the new match posted late tonight or early tomorrow, so you can shoot both in the same outing if you like.

KSCCHTrainer
September 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
Jim, I'm not sure that I still have them (may have already gifted them), but I might have a pair of 1in. tip-off rings. I'll take a look in my accessories box this afternoon, and if I do, I'll get them sent your direction.

I think you short changed yourself on the second target, looks like a perfectly good X to me...lets call it 50-2X. I'd say it shoots just as good as it looks, so I'd call it a "keeper" too.

BTW, I know that I originally said that the match would close today, but I think ending it tomorrow would be a better idea since I know a lot of folks haven't the opportunity to shoot on weekdays. I'll see if I can get the new match posted late tonight or early tomorrow, so you can shoot both in the same outing if you like.

EDIT: So much for the range session at the "empty nest" party today! Not really complaining though, we need the rain. It rained all night and is still misting. The range area is pretty muddy so not going to be able to shoot today like we planned.

Hey thanks Mav, but if you like, I have an extra set of 1" "low" rings for a standard Weaver/Picitinny rail that I can trade you if you happen to find them.

Not really sure I'm gonna scope it yet. Wife has better eyesight than I do and depending on how she does with it tomorrow, it might just become "mainly" hers. She usually does better with irons than she does with a scope due to her glasses prescription. I'm just the opposite.

BTW, took the .223 to the range this morning after I put that 18" threaded barrel on it. It was an old Stevens "pencil" barrel that somebody had cut down. I had it threaded 1/2-28 and put a Wilson Combat A2 (birdcage) flash hider on it.

Other than the fact that it does get hot quicker than the 24" heavy, it zeroed nicely and I managed one really sweet group with it at 100 yards on the Centerfire match target. Nothing earth shattering on the other 3 (several pretty far out fliers) but I'll post it over there along with some pix. Gotta take the 10/22 for another outing as I got the threaded barrel re-installed on it and will install the Tactical Solutions compensator on it sometime today (after UPS delivers my Midway order).

Jim

Maverick223
September 15, 2012, 09:30 PM
My apologies for not getting the new match started by earlier today; fortunately it doesn't appear that anyone would have benefited from it. I'm playing catch-up and working on it now, does anyone have any problems with a target depicting human silhouettes (IIRC there are some ranges that forbid any targets portraying a human analog)? I found a good target, but I want to make sure that it works for everyone before going with it.

P.S.: Jim, I'm sorry to report that I couldn't find any spare tip-off rings, I must have already gifted them to someone (I only have one rifle with a 3/8in. grooved receiver that's scoped, so I don't keep a bunch around).

KSCCHTrainer
September 16, 2012, 08:12 AM
P.S.: Jim, I'm sorry to report that I couldn't find any spare tip-off rings, I must have already gifted them to someone (I only have one rifle with a 3/8in. grooved receiver that's scoped, so I don't keep a bunch around).

Hey thanks for looking! I dug that el-cheapo Tasco rimfire scope outta the trash, disassembled it to see how it worked and actually FIXED it. The windage screw had been cranked too far and actually came off the reticle carrier. I was able to get it back into the threads and re-centered in the tube apparently without destroying anything. If there ever was any dry nitrogen in it it ain't there any more, but for $16 bucks, it's replaceable if it fogs up. Wife said she wanted to try it scoped and not to see what she likes better, but if you saw my edit on my previous post, It rained/drizzled most of yesterday so our planned shoot at the "empty nest" party didn't happen. Range was knee-deep in mud. Party was fun though - :D

Like you, this little Henry is the only grooved receiver gun I have so I've passed on all the 3/8" rimfire rings I had as well. Just discovered Wally World keeps 'em in stock for under 10 bucks so if I really need 'em, I only have a couple miles to drive.

As for the targets, no problem with human analogs here - my range has all sorts of silhouettes including actual photo's of various humans with guns in hand (being portrayed as bad-guys) on the wall for sale on the handgun range. They also have some special ones depicting "zombies" that range from the grotesque to the downright "gross" - ;) Plenty of practice for the perceived upcoming "zombie apocalypse". :evil:

Thanks again Mav.

Jim

Maverick223
September 16, 2012, 12:51 PM
Magnified Division-Target Class:
1st: Slapshot - 100-10X
2nd: KSCCHTrainer - 100-8X
3rd: Mr.Revolverguy - 99-5X

Magnified Division-Sporting Class:
1st: KSCCHTrainer - 84
2nd: Centurian22 - 77-1X
3rd: "Deadeye Sniper - 38

Non-Magnified Division-Target Class:
1st: MrBorland - 50-4X

Non-Magnified Division-Sporting Class:
1st: KSCCHTrainer - 50-2X
2nd: Slapshot - 47-2X
3rd: Mr.Revolverguy - 45-1X
Honorable Mentions: Centurian22 (44)

Well done guys!

Here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8406964#post8406964) is a link to the extended October match.

Centurian22
September 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
Great shooting everyone! Best of luck on the next one.

If you enjoyed reading about "August Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!