Does anyone have a encore with katahdin barrel

PDA

glockky
August 2, 2012, 03:40 PM
Just wondering if anyone had the katahdin barrel on there encore. I have been looking at purchasing one in 45-70. Just wondering what your experiences have been.

I am afraid that the muzzle blast will bad when hunting. And have wondered about the 460 and 500 S&W katahdind's.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone have a encore with katahdin barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
critter
August 2, 2012, 04:02 PM
No. BUT I have shot a BFR in 45-70 with a 9 1/2 barrel. Now, I would NOT say that it was "quiet" by any means, but it is not just awful. It is a big, deep "BOOOOOM" much more than a sharp, ear piercing 'crack'.

Dthunter
August 2, 2012, 11:43 PM
I have one, and it shoots very well! But with full power loads, it has seriously viscious recoil!

So I load it to where its comfortable, and have a riot! So handy to carry!

jamesb
August 3, 2012, 11:33 AM
I have a 460 S&W MAG katahdin. It kicks like a mule and belches fire. When I first got it I developed a nasty flinch that took a while to get rid of. It shoots well and is very light, handy and quick in the brush. It makes an excellent pig gun. When using full bore 460 loads I would recommend wearing ear protection while hunting. I double up with plugs and muffs when at the range. It is louder than the 24" 30-06 barrel I have for my encore. It also kicks harder than my 30-06 barrel. As for the muzzel blast you can feel the heat and see the fire but not as bad as the 8" S&W XVR. I can only imagine that the 45-70 would be worse due to the heavier bullets and more powder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone have a encore with katahdin barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!