Let's talk muzzle brakes

PDA

kestak
August 2, 2012, 06:52 PM
Greetings,

Anyone got a good 308 (for my lmt) muzzle brake to recommend that does not create a huge commotion? I saw a guy with the battle comp 2.0 on his 223 and the concusion was minor, absolutely not comparable to my mikulek.....

Tank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Let's talk muzzle brakes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kachok
August 2, 2012, 07:13 PM
Muzzle break on a 308 win?!? Unless you have a glass shoulder I would advise against it, muzzle breaks are for much harder kicking rifles, they make rifles much louder and are not worth it on a light kicking rifle.

briansmithwins
August 2, 2012, 07:34 PM
The more effective the brake the worse the concussion. You can't et something for 'nuthin.

The only exception is a suppressor. Those will reduce recoil by slowing the muzzle gas, and of course reduce blast too. You'll still get the crack from the bullet, naturally. Sadly, the suppressor adds weight and bulk, plus you need a $200 tax stamp.

BSW

Shawn Dodson
August 2, 2012, 07:40 PM
The BattleComp is a compensator, not a muzzle brake.

A compensator directs propellant gas upward to counteract muzzle jump.

A muzzle brake has a large flat surface that propellant gas impact against to counteract recoil.

rjrivero
August 2, 2012, 07:42 PM
The only exception is a suppressor. Those will reduce recoil by slowing the muzzle gas, and of course reduce blast too. You'll still get the crack from the bullet, naturally. Sadly, the suppressor adds weight and bulk, plus you need a $200 tax stamp.

And in this vein, I suggest an Ops Inc 3rd model or Ops Inc 12th model. :D

LeonCarr
August 3, 2012, 04:13 PM
KDF. My FIL's Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .270 IMO has the felt recoil of a .243.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Flynt
August 3, 2012, 04:22 PM
If you're trying to reduce felt recoil, you would be better off with an effective recoil pad. I can't say enough for Limbsavers. I have one on a 300 WSM and a 338 Win. Mag. The 300 feels like a 22 and the 338 feels like a 223.

If you enjoyed reading about "Let's talk muzzle brakes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!