Scope for hunting

PDA

351 WINCHESTER
August 2, 2012, 10:24 PM
I need to buy a scope for my .303 Enfield to replace a cheap BSA that I mounted several years ago. Other than poor optics it has held up very well.

I'm looking for a scope that will bring in as much light as possible while staying under $150. or so. 3x9 or 2x7 will probably do just fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope for hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Abel
August 2, 2012, 10:36 PM
You could get a Redfield 2-7x32mm for close to that. Or A Nikon ProSataff. If you need to be under $150, the ProStaff for sure.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-2-7x32-ProStaff-Riflescope-P48752.aspx

Craigman
August 2, 2012, 10:44 PM
Natchez has Burris Fullfield II's on sale all the time. They, as prostaffs, also have a great reputation. Or Ebay an old steel Weaver.

351 WINCHESTER
August 2, 2012, 10:59 PM
I have an old steel weaver and it won't hold zero and the optics are not coated.

rcmodel
August 2, 2012, 11:08 PM
I agree!

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-revolution-2-7x33mm-riflescope-matte-finish-4-plex-accu-range-reticle.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-prostaff-2-7x32mm-riflescope-matte-w-nikoplex-reticle.html

rc

slowr1der
August 3, 2012, 12:03 AM
The Burris Full field II is the only way I would go in that price range. I've used several of the more popular scopes in the $150-300 price range and the FFII seems to be the beat when it comes to glass quality. I have also never had any durability issues with them. They are solid scopes.

Craigman
August 3, 2012, 12:06 AM
guess I wasnt thinking hunting or low light. Still think the old weavers are better than BSA though....if they hold zero that is. Good for a plinker.

I do love my Prostaff's and my Redfield. We compared them side by side with a group of us one night standing around at dusk. Everyone agreed they were equal. Cant find those Nikons for $99 anymore like a couple years ago. The Fullfields are the new cheap/good

Texaszach
August 3, 2012, 02:17 AM
I recently purchased a redfield revolution 3-9x40 for under 150 with shipping from swfa.coms sample list. It was still new in box and was at a similar price as the refurb Nikon prostaff but still maintained a lifetime guarantee, not 90 days.

Also side by side with my leupold vx-1 the redfield was more crisp and clear to my eye.
I kept reading others say it but frankly did not believe it until I saw it for myself.

I am very excited to hunt with this scope this year.

Robtattoo
August 3, 2012, 02:23 AM
I just picked up a Sightron S1 3-9x40 to put on my .270
From everything I've read & been told, these are one of the better <$150 scopes going.
It's to replace my Redfield Revolution which, quite frankly, is AWFUL! Optical clarity is fantastic in the middle third of the Redfield. However, if I shift my focus 3" off the crosshairs, I feel like I'm on acid. The edge-edge clarity is the worst I've ever seen. It's that bad, I wouldn't even EBay the thing, when I get it switched out.

MachIVshooter
August 3, 2012, 04:03 AM
I really like the Nikon Prostaff for a budget scope.

ColtPythonElite
August 3, 2012, 06:05 AM
I'd go shopping for a used Leupold.....As far as your old Weaver goes, sorry yours has issues. I have several K's and have never had a zero issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope for hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!