SD while travelling/flying: suggestions?

PDA

Felonious Monk
January 31, 2003, 11:08 AM
I find myself in the enviable position of having my wife, a new shooter, NOT wanting to fly up to PA without her P32. (I may have created a monster! :rolleyes: :D )
Well, I've assured her there's no way for her to take it with her.

Now that she's more aware of taking responsibility for her own safety, she wants SOMETHING she can either take with her on the plane, or at least pick up at Wally World as soon as she arrives in Penna.

She'll be driving her dearly departed great Aunt's car back down to TN after staying the night.

I told her to take my Parker Stainless steel pen on the plane, and buy a spray can of Brake cleaner when she gets there for the drive home.

Anybody have better/alternative suggestions? Think she'll get any airport grief over the steel pen?

TIA,
FM

If you enjoyed reading about "SD while travelling/flying: suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mikul
January 31, 2003, 01:16 PM
I see nothing illegal about shipping the gun to her in PA at her Aunt's address. She can legally bring the gun with her by declaring it in checked in baggage, but since the baggage handlers have permission to rummage through her stuff when she's not around, I would prefer having it sent via FedEx.

Travelling back with a loaded gun in the car is likely to be illegal in the states she passes through.

jar
January 31, 2003, 08:10 PM
She can fly with the gun with no problems. It must be in a locked case and in checked bagage and the airline must be notified that it's there. The suitcase must also be locked and the gun unloaded. In most cases it really is not a big issue. Call your airline before you go and check on what their regs are.

CWL
January 31, 2003, 08:18 PM
FedEx it to herself at her destination. Buy ammo once there.

Airline regs have changed where all checked-in luggage must now be left unlocked/permission granted for airline personell to go through if they see fit.

bad_dad_brad
February 1, 2003, 12:02 PM
I would send the P32 via Fed-Ex as well. Who needs the hassle at the airport, even though, yes you can transport a gun if locked in a case in your luggage and declared. Ammo as well, but it must be in a separate peice of luggage, again locked in a case. But you will get hassled, count on it. On the drive back just lock it up unloaded in the trunk inside your luggage. That is pretty much legal transportaion almost everywhere. There are some exceptions.

As far as self defense at the airport or in the plane, well, if you have flown since the Feds took over security, you better not get cute. The last time I flew to Houston from Chicago, I was singled out for a closer look and they pretty much gave me a thorough dressing down. They were nice enough about it and I was cool as well, but if I would have had anything on me uncommon, including hard plastic or ceramic knives, they would have found it.

Self defense can be learned by using every day common objects, like a stainless steel ball point pen (I don't think that will be a problem). And keys, held in the hand a certain way and directed at the eyes can be effective. Leather belts with heavy buckles can be wielded. Credit cards can cut flesh if you know how to do it. These types of things all take training.

I do think nowadays, because of the 911 situation, that American airports, and airplanes, are just about the safest places you can be, so I don't worry a whole lot about self defense in those places. There is a lot of security that you see, and I would bet, a lot that you don't see.

Felonious Monk
February 1, 2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks Brad...and ALL of you!

Good info.
I don't think we're going to try and get the gun up to her, but she'll be using some "creative" solutions once she gets there.

I had thought about sending her with one of my "Blackie Collins CIA letter openers", aka reinforced plastic/fiber knives, but Brad, based on yours and one of our friends' experience with a strip search, they'd find pretty much ANYTHING, so I don't wanna put her through the hassle.

A good solid pen/pencil set, and a bottle of brake cleaner looks to be the plan.

Contingent, of course, on any other good ideas between now and Thursday.

Thanks again!
FM

ACP230
February 1, 2003, 10:56 PM
How about a clipboard with a notepad, with notes, on it for the flight? The edge of the clipboard should make a "smashing" impact weapon, eh? Not proscribed yet, as far as I know.

The thin edge of a book or other object can do a lot of damage if wielded enthusiastically. My only fight in highschool lasted just long enough for me to hit the other guy across the face with the edge of the JROTC manual FM 22-5. He bled and decided he'd had enough pronto.

Ron L
February 2, 2003, 02:44 PM
The stainless Parker Jotter is what I always carry. That and maybe a slightly larger Rotring. I always carry the pens in a daytimer as carry-on. There's also a stainless 6" ruler. They look past this last item every time. I won't say it's been sharpened like a knife, but the edges are very sharp anyway.

There are also carbon fiber or other nylon or synthetic knives on the market. Of course, you didn't hear about it here.

mercop
February 2, 2003, 07:22 PM
My best friend is an Air Marshal. A Kubaton is no go but a Streamlight Stylus makes and excellent Kubaton and looks like just a flashlight.

Kingcreek
February 3, 2003, 12:15 AM
I'm glad to see this discussion as I am planning some travel this year. I like the idea of a sturdy metalic pen. Many, many years ago I worked as a bartender and saw a fella seriously injured by his drunk and jealous girlfriend with a Bic pen (the old clear hard plastic style).
I am putting the finishing touches on a walking stick to accompany me. Cut the black locust, seasoned, shaped and sanded it. Very solid and nice balance with copper ferules and an antler crown.
Nobody would deny a greying old guy with a limp his walking aid. ;)

agony
February 3, 2003, 01:17 AM
When I was a punk-kid before CCW, I relied on my hands and feet. Nowadays CCW has made me a bit lazy. When I flew last week for the first time since 9-11, I felt a little naked without either a pistol or a knife. I no longer formally train on a regular basis in any martial arts, but still count on two things before a conflict occurs. First, walking away from trouble if possible. Second, using my body if possible. Third, if above two are not possible, go for the pistol.

I did carry three useful items in my carry-on bag. One, a pair of chopsticks. A very dense plastic hairbrush. A set of metal pens.

V-fib
February 3, 2003, 02:36 AM
Instead of the brake cleaner how bout a can of wasp spray. They usually have a larger spray nozzel and can usually spray a deadly stream out to 25':uhoh:

Jrob24
February 8, 2003, 09:59 PM
I know it's after thursday but here's an idea for next time. Put a rock and a sock in your carry-on bag. When onboard, assemble your blackjack :)

106rr
February 9, 2003, 05:09 AM
Chopsticks (get the heavy duty kind for cooking) -- for airplane
Wasp Spray (on the way back)
Chinese Meat Cleaver -- for the way back
Aluminum lemon juicer -- these look like futuristic kubotans get them at gourmet cooking stores -- not for carry on
Wal Mart flashlight -- takes three AA batteries kubotan for airplane.
Send her a round metal box of candy with a Fox pepper spray can in the candy.
When she stays in a hotel/motel, remove a door knob from the closet and sling it in a doubled pairof pantyhose.

Malone LaVeigh
February 21, 2003, 03:10 AM
I know it's after thursday but here's an idea for next time. Put a rock and a sock in your carry-on bag. When onboard, assemble your blackjack Michael Moore claimed he carried an autographed baseball in a sock on his first post 9-11 flight. Actually not a bad idea.

I carried a small cable pistol lock in my computer case. If anyone had asked, I'd have said it was to lock the case. Figured it would make a passable blackjack.

DT Guy
February 23, 2003, 11:23 PM
First thing I do on a plane nowadays is check the seat belts. They usually are attached with an easily removable clip at the seat end, and would therefore make a good improvised defensive weapon, since it's a 2' long nylon strap with a heavy steel buckle on the end.

And the airline not only allows it, they supply it.:D

Larry

brownie0486
February 24, 2003, 10:42 AM
Well,
I've read the thread in it's entirety and have to say that the meat clever might be just a little bit too much unless you have practiced with it some and know how to actually use it like a weapon and not just cleaving.

The seat belt buckle works, and they supply it.

Wasp sprays/breakcleaner? You may want to reconsider these as options. Using it like mace I presume but mace is not always the best solution to the problem. If you do not get them in the eyes immediately you are into something you don't want to be in a hurry plus you just gave the perp even more reason to harm you.

If you are going to carry a tool for possible defensive needs it should be something you are familiar with. How many train with wasp/breakcleaner sprays or any aerosols and can reliably hit the eyes of a moving target.

Carry a good stout pen, use it against soft body targets or hands reaching into your "inner circle".

I carry a yawara stick in my carry on as well as a cane.
Have been trained in the use of both as defensive tools.

Canes are allowed on the plane. BTW--it does no good to carry anything for self protection unless you can actually practice with it beforehand so you know exactly what to expect from the chosen tool and the BG's possible response to the same defensive tool being used against them.

Don't forget you wear a belt which makes a handy flailing weapon and you might consider the cane and take a little training for it at the same time.

Brownie

hockeybum
December 10, 2006, 06:05 PM
when she gets there have her buy:

a) a lighter

b) a can of hairspray

and voila, instant flamethrower :fire: :evil:

Adam Selene
December 10, 2006, 07:25 PM
local hardwares still have ice picks.

If you enjoyed reading about "SD while travelling/flying: suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!