.460 Rowland

PDA

WoodchuckAssassin
August 3, 2012, 02:34 PM
I was talking to a buddy of mine and he started talking about this nifty little cartridge called the .460 Rowland. It sounds like a .45 on steroids that can produce .44 magnum velocities out of a 1911. I was curious about the type of powders they used to achieve the .44 mag performance. I was also curious how much thicker the case had to be to support the larger charge. And while weíre talking, what is the practical purpose of the .460 Rowland? I donít plan on buying one any time soon, I just wondered if anyone out there had any information/experience with it.

If you enjoyed reading about ".460 Rowland" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CountryUgly
August 3, 2012, 04:10 PM
I had seriously looked at a conversion for my 1911 to handgun hunt with. I didn't go with it because of lack of access to ammo (I don't reload). Other than that it seemed to me to be a viable round for med sized game. Also it would make a beast of SD load.

firesky101
August 3, 2012, 08:10 PM
It has the same purpose as most new cartridges. It does something another round does, but a little different to suit a select group of individuals. I am not bashing, I love oddball stuff not everyone has.

Fishslayer
August 3, 2012, 08:10 PM
Had a short session with a friend's SS Colt 1911 in .460 Rowland.

First, that gun/cartridge was a freakin' tack driver. WAY more accurate than I was expecting.

Second. It's a beast. Loud, flashy. It kicks hard but the (I believe Clark) compensator made the gun reasonably easy to handle. "Easy" is probably the wrong word. Not for beginners, sure, but not unmanageable. If you don't have reasonably strong hands though rackin' the slide might not be happenin'.

Third. I have absolutely no rational reason to own one, but I WANT one reeeaaalll bad! :D

EDIT: I'm also skeptical of gimmick calibers but IMO the .460 is the real deal. It does fill a niche and delivers what it promises.

Clark
August 4, 2012, 02:01 PM
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The High Road, nor the staff of THR assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

When I read three articles on that in early 2000 I was really impressed and inspired.

45 super I at realguns (http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm)
45 super II at realguns (http://www.realguns.com/archives/021.htm)
45 super III at realguns (http://www.realguns.com/archives/022.htm)

So I bought this pistol to work up 460 Rowland.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/460Rowland.jpg
In May 2000 I worked up to a couple grains over 460 Rowland loads in the 20 ounce Republic Arms 45acp Patriot pistol [Designed by Nehemia Sirkis]. I chose the pistol for 460 because of it's case support at .180" with a case web thickness of .180" it doesn't get better than that.
The manual said no +P, but the factory [two guys in a CA biz park] supported my project and sent me lots of free parts.
The rights have since been sold to Cobra
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/featured_handguns_cobrapatriot_062207/

I bought the gun for $180 new from AIM surplus specifically for this project.
I used Unique and 185 gr bullets and once fired mixed 45acp brass, but soon switched to AA#5.

At first the gun kept falling apart, the striker of something else would get shaken out.
Then I was developing a flinch, and I was only up to 45 Super.

The break through came when I built a triple recoil spring assembly. It measured 14.25 pounds at the front and 42 pounds at the rear of the slide movement. The springs are from a Wolff gunmsmith pak #14 with the outer and inner springs with right hand twist and the middle spring with left hand twist. I made round nut for the end of the assembly to fit through the guide pin hole of the slide.
But that accelerated the slide so fast that the chamber came up empty.
So I put in double magazine springs in parallel.
It holds one less round because of the extra spring. It is hard to load the magazine. It takes 7 pounds to start depressing the follower.
The 42 pound spring assembly is about right for +P loadings to land 5' from me.
The 460 Rowland + then has some slide slam, but nothing like it did with the stock springs.

0) 45 acp.................... 185 gr. 7.6 gr. AA#5 jams w/stock Patriot spring
1) 45 acp.....................185 gr. 10.2 gr. AA#5 1100 fps 18,000psi
2) 45 acp +P................185 gr. 10.8 gr. AA#5 1200 fps 21,700 psi just right with 42# spring
3) 45 Super.................185 gr. 12.4 gr. AA#5 1312 fps 28,000 cup
4) 460 Rowland........... 185 gr. 14.5 gr. AA#5 1500 fps 38,800 cup

0) is my load, the rest is published data.

What does it all mean?
460 Rowland pressure is easy for 45acp brass and pistols with case support, but 460 recoil is problematic.

WoodchuckAssassin
August 5, 2012, 04:19 PM
Well, it looks like Craig just answered every question anyone could ever ask about the .460 Rowland. Haha! Thatís some great information, and some flat out COOL fabrication to get the 460 operational. 3 Recoil springs? Thatís awesome. I want to try shooting one sooooooo bad, but Iíd be lying if I said that using a polymer pistol with the 460 didnít scare me a little. I might develop a perminant, lifelong flinch.

If you enjoyed reading about ".460 Rowland" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!