The Best Damned 1911...the Sig Sauer MAX!!!

PDA

hyattnc
August 4, 2012, 12:05 AM
Talking about weapons of mass destruction the Sig Sauer Max comes to mind. This is the best damned 1911 I have ever owned and it has so much flare that I dont mind open carrying it around these parts.

Now I know 1911 purists are going to tell me different and how wrong I must be or maybe that I must be a forum troll for even suggesting that a Sig 1911 is better than the Kimber, but lets look at the facts. Max Michel, the best competition shooter in the world, throws his good name behind this pistol. He would never put his name on something that is less than the very best. I respect his opinion and have verified his conclusions on my own. He is not wrong.

http://www.shooterschoiceguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/1911-MAX-Detail-Hero.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "The Best Damned 1911...the Sig Sauer MAX!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MedWheeler
August 4, 2012, 12:52 AM
I rented and shot one once, but it had definitely had some work done to it. Even in my southpaw shooting position, it was a fine shooter, especially considering it was my first time ever shooting anything in .45ACP. I enjoyed it. It didn't have quite as much flair, though (note spelling; it changes the meaning.)

But, I don't think I'd ever consider it a weapon of mass destruction.

August 4, 2012, 01:14 AM
Talking about weapons of mass destruction the Sig Sauer Max comes to mind. This is the best damned 1911 I have ever owned and it has so much flare that I dont mind open carrying it around these parts.

Now I know 1911 purists are going to tell me different and how wrong I must be or maybe that I must be a forum troll for even suggesting that a Sig 1911 is better than the Kimber, but lets look at the facts. Max Michel, the best competition shooter in the world, throws his good name behind this pistol. He would never put his name on something that is less than the very best. I respect his opinion and have verified his conclusions on my own. He is not wrong.
WMD? Man, you watch drama much?:p

Michel putting his name on a Sig is like Leatham putting his name on a Springfield. They are both on their respective company's payroll. So, which one is the very best? I'd rather get my info from unbiased sources. Know what I mean?

bigfatdave
August 4, 2012, 02:58 AM
"flare"?

and "best" for what? It obviously isn't the best carry gun, and it won't be the best at durability under abuse with that rear sight

I know you're excited, but calm down, it is just a gun

mljdeckard
August 4, 2012, 03:04 AM
Um yeah, see #3. It's about as meaningful as Forest Gump putting his name on a ping-pong paddle.

rcmodel
August 4, 2012, 03:13 AM
Good grief!

I thought you had found a good 1911 or something.

I'm sending the blood pressure pill bill to you soon as I get it in the mail!! :fire:

rc

savanahsdad
August 4, 2012, 03:28 AM
"flare"?

and "best" for what? It obviously isn't the best carry gun, and it won't be the best at durability under abuse with that rear sight

I know you're excited, but calm down, it is just a gun
just what I was thinking!!! a target sight ? could use a nice Novak (no snag rear sight ) and who made the grips ? GOODYEAR ?

bigfatdave
August 4, 2012, 03:34 AM
I reserve judgment on the grips, I assume they're comfortable in hand.
Don't like the extended safety lever, looks silly and doesn't add much
What's up with the hammer? Looks goofy.
The FCS, while a silly concept in general, are at least minimal and subdued.
The front strap checkering seems silly, but then people put skateboard tape there for some reason. I don't get it, but hey, whatever you like.
Flat trigger is something I've been wanting to try out on my guns, I should just order one and see if I like it
Mag funnel is comically oversized, and doesn't even match the frame, is the extra weight/bulk really worth not knowing how to stick a fresh mag in the gun? Most 1911-based designs already have a slight bevel inside the frame, that magwell looks like you might be able to flip the gun over and blow in the ejection port to play "Taps" if needed.

Inebriated
August 4, 2012, 03:35 AM
hyattnc?

As in Hyatt Gun Store... from NC?

Nice advertisement!

savanahsdad
August 4, 2012, 03:39 AM
I got to ask ,, how much ? I just got my wife a sig sauer P235 Lady (.380) it would be the only red one on there web page , $642.00 out the door nice little gun shoots great and with the eching and gold inlay on it ,it's nice looking too not sure I like what they did with the 1911 . the grips and that mag well that looks like a stand for the gun, got to go ,

Bobson
August 4, 2012, 03:43 AM
. . . .I must be a forum troll for even suggesting that a Sig 1911 is better than the Kimber. . . .
I knew something was off as soon as I read this. I've never heard any 1911 purist make Kimber out to be the 1911 all others ought to be compared to.

Nushif
August 4, 2012, 10:14 AM
Nice advertisement!

That's my thinking.

TennJed
August 4, 2012, 10:25 AM
Meh, not purtty to look at, but i am sure it shoots just fine.

It looks like you like it and that is all that matters. Enjoy!

jahwarrior
August 4, 2012, 11:14 AM
What an ugly piece of gank.

allaroundhunter
August 4, 2012, 11:17 AM
hyattnc?

As in Hyatt Gun Store... from NC?

Nice advertisement!

That's exactly who it is..... And the posts are really beginning to be annoying....

But let's dig into this post; Max Michel is sponsored by Sig, and that is why he shoots this pistol as opposed to a Kimber, not because it is so much better. If he was sponsored by Kimber or Springfield Armory, they would each make him a 1911 that you would come back and say is better than this Sig....

Sent from my HTC One X

buck460XVR
August 4, 2012, 11:36 AM
I knew something was off as soon as I read this. I've never heard any 1911 purist make Kimber out to be the 1911 all others ought to be compared to.

Yep same here.

But I do believe the OP was correct here tho.....

Originally Posted by hyattnc:

. . . .I must be a forum troll

Snag
August 4, 2012, 11:37 AM
I'd just like to say I support Campbell's Chunky Soup.

Coop45
August 4, 2012, 11:53 AM
Love the satire hyattnc!! LOL!! You were kidding?

meef
August 4, 2012, 12:58 PM
This is the best damned 1911 I have ever owned and it has so much flare that I dont mind open carrying it around these parts.Well I'll be....

It's a freaking flare gun.

And I thought from outward appearances that it was .45acp.

Looks can be deceiving, huh?

MICHAEL T
August 4, 2012, 01:12 PM
What a waste of good space. That about a ugly copy of a 1911 . Won't be on my hip or in my Collection

Certaindeaf
August 4, 2012, 01:20 PM
"He is not wrong."
Well if he's so not wrong, why come here begging/crowing for validation? If it works and tickles your targets like you like, that's all that matters.. no need to rabidly prosthelytize and slam every other good gun out there.

Inebriated
August 4, 2012, 01:25 PM
It seems more like an advert than bragging.

Water-Man
August 4, 2012, 01:35 PM
The High Road :scrutiny:

Certaindeaf
August 4, 2012, 02:20 PM
The High Road :scrutiny:
Dang, who doesn't make a 1911 these days? wow

Walkalong
August 4, 2012, 02:32 PM
Nice looking pic from Sig.

Where is a pic of yours? Your so excited about it I figure you own one.

hardluk1
August 4, 2012, 02:42 PM
Does our hyattnc really think ole max shoots a box stock sig. Get a life. They just pay him enought to shot them. It could be another machined sti to look like a sig tooo.

savanahsdad
August 4, 2012, 02:48 PM
Dang, who doesn't make a 1911 these days? wow
I just checked ,,,,,,, BLACK&DECKER don't :what: love my caulk gun :neener:

meef
August 4, 2012, 03:49 PM

Where is a pic of yours?Pesky details.

:D

Greg528iT
August 4, 2012, 04:32 PM
Flat trigger is something I've been wanting to try out on my guns, I should just order one and see if I like it
bighfatdave..... DO IT.. I put one in 2 of my Springers.. LOVE the flat trigger.

Is it really better???? I don't shoot well enough to truely say, and I probably could have adjusted the serations on the front of my OEM curved triggers to get a similar feel.. The flat triggers I bought are more subtle.. hold my finger tip very well though.

Hell, just do it.. Takes a little bit longer to replace than a detail strip (adjusting pretravel, over travel) but that goes quick.

Walt Sherrill
August 4, 2012, 04:39 PM
. Max Michel, the best competition shooter in the world, throws his good name behind this pistol. He would never put his name on something that is less than the very best.

...and unless he was VERY WELL-paid for the use of his name. (Bet he didn't do it for free.)

nwilliams
August 4, 2012, 05:45 PM
Now I know 1911 purists are going to tell me different and how wrong I must be
Yes. You are wrong, it's made by Sig.....
Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, STI all make higher quality 1911's IMO.

On top of that you've got all the custom 1911 smiths out there. Richard Heinie, Don Williams, Jim Garthwaite, Ted Yost, Jim Hoag, Dave Dawson just to name a few.

FYI my Richard Heinie 1911 would destroy that Sig:D

or maybe that I must be a forum troll for even suggesting that a Sig 1911 is better than the Kimber,
I wouldn't dispute that it's probably better than some Kimber models.

but lets look at the facts.
Fact's appear to be missing.

Max Michel, the best competition shooter in the world,
The best in the world? Really? OK....

He would never put his name on something that is less than the very best.
Do you know him that well?

I respect his opinion and have verified his conclusions on my own.
Verified how?

He is not wrong.
OK

zoom6zoom
August 4, 2012, 08:28 PM
I love my SIGs... now make that puppy double action and put a decocker on it. Oh wait... that would make it a 220, And I already have one of those.

Jed Carter
August 4, 2012, 09:01 PM
It may well be the best... that SIG makes, there are better right out of the box for the price IMO. It looks to be a good 1911 for USPSA single stack, but a good holster like Bladetech won't fit the SIG cut slide. I have 3 SIG 1911 pistols, my EDC weapon is a SIG RCS 1911. Hope the Max's trigger is way better than the stock SIG triggers, the $550 Taurus PT1911s I have tried have all had around a 3# trigger. It is nice to see SIG finally make a 1911 in another caliber, .40S&W. I would like to see a ramped barreled 9mm CCO sized 1911 with a classic cut slide from SIG. Might have to build one myself, have less than a 5# trigger too. SIG RCS trigger was listed at 5.5#, gauged out at 7#, much better now.

bigfatdave
August 4, 2012, 09:17 PM
bigfatdave..... DO IT.. I put one in 2 of my Springers.. LOVE the flat trigger. I decided to just DO IT - two flat-ish triggers on the way from Midway, as well as two MSH with a horizontal lanyard loop:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/614895/caspian-trik-trigger-1911-aluminum-silver
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155063/ed-brown-mainspring-housing-with-lanyard-loop-flat-1911-government-commander-chainlink-blue

I see an afternoon in front of the bench in my future, with little tiny parts all over! I've got Henry sights to upgrade and 10/22 parts to swap after I get done with 1911 tinkering.

===

Addressing the OP, the more I see it, the more it looks like a poorly-writted advertisment. And I think that funnel is, in fact, a stand for the gun, not a bugle/trumpet attachment.

Auto426
August 4, 2012, 11:08 PM
Addressing the OP, the more I see it, the more it looks like a poorly-writted advertisment. And I think that funnel is, in fact, a stand for the gun, not a bugle/trumpet attachment.

I'll agree that the OP's post smells of advertising, but that is no weapon stand. It's a competition gun sized mag funnel on a gun thats set up for competition.

Walt Sherrill
August 4, 2012, 11:49 PM
The mag well says "competition", but the adjustable sights kind of suggest "range gun."

And I'll bet that Max M. shoots a gun that cost $3000+ and has refinements that this particular SIG, however nice it might be, doesn't have.

I had a very nice SIG GSR a number of years back -- very low serial number -- and it was both accurate and reliable. To me, it seemed good value for the money spent, which was around $1000.

I've never understood all of the "bad-mouthing" SIG gets for their 1911s. SIG had some problems when they first introduced their 1911s, but they addressed that quickly, and their guns seem pretty solid, nowadays. I traded my GSR for a 220 Match, and later ended up with a 220 Super Match. I prefer the 220 Super Match to their 1911.

Fishbed77
August 5, 2012, 12:27 AM
I must be a forum troll for even suggesting that a Sig 1911 is better than the Kimber

That's not exactly a groundbreaking statement. I think most folks here would agree that SIG makes a better 1911 than Kimber these days.

tarosean
August 5, 2012, 01:08 AM
I've never understood all of the "bad-mouthing" SIG gets for their 1911s.

you dont think an external extractor has anything to do with it?

Skylerbone
August 5, 2012, 03:03 AM
So proud to have his name on a Sig 1911 with a Dawson magwell and a Doug Koenig hammer...well MM should be, those are some great parts. The MAX is as custom as Sig gets for a pedestrian competition 1911 that fits the box. Pass.

My compliments to the OP on his creative advertising though I thought it was policy to identify any personal connection to the industry. Perhaps a creative writing class and a new pen name would further his sales, er cause. Keep on fishin, sooner or later you'll snag something.

Walt Sherrill
August 5, 2012, 08:08 AM
I've never understood all of the "bad-mouthing" SIG gets for their 1911s.
you dont think an external extractor has anything to do with it?
I never really had a problem with the external extractor.

Just because folks don't like something doesn't mean there is always a logical or rational reason for that dislike.

CZ223
August 5, 2012, 09:06 AM
It darn sure isn't the best carry gun, not with those sights and huge mag-well.
It isn't even close to the best looking 1911 I have seen.

What it is meant to be, or at least look like, is a competition gun. I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that it isn't even that good as a comp gun. I doubt that all those guys out there that have poured thousands of dollars into single stack 1911's are gonna smack themselves in the forehead and say, I could have had a Sig. :evil: I also doubt that Wilson, Baer and, Night hawk will be losing any business to sales of this gun.

tarosean
August 5, 2012, 11:36 AM
Just because folks don't like something doesn't mean there is always a logical or rational reason for that dislike.

I think it just boils down to its not Milspec, so people will hate....

tarosean
August 5, 2012, 11:38 AM
If I was into raceguns... I would go with STI.
and the Bob Marvel Nighthawk has this thing beat hands down...

hardluk1
August 5, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hey guys. No replies from hyattnc!!

LeonCarr
August 5, 2012, 12:49 PM
The best competition shooter in the world?

Ya might want to compare his resume to Doug Koenig's or Rob Leatham's before making that statement.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

oso
August 5, 2012, 01:29 PM
agree who won Bianchi Cup last 14 yrs. in a row, wasn't Max M. Not sayin he isn't good but i don't think he is the best in the world.

Fishslayer
August 5, 2012, 01:53 PM

Where is a pic of yours? Your so excited about it I figure you own one.

I have 3 SIGs. I like SIGs a lot. Thinking about another 1911 and SIG is near the top of the list.

But not that one.

Man... That is one UGLY pistol...:barf:

FIVETWOSEVEN
August 5, 2012, 03:48 PM
Fanboyism anyone?

hyattnc
August 5, 2012, 04:05 PM
I see the usual discussion of "Max Michels Sig is probably heavily modified" or "its not milspec" or "you are just advertising for Sig" has resulted. Its time to come to grips that, yes, someone else besides the usual suspects can make a good 1911. Lets wake up and we see that Sig in general makes the best out of the box pistols hands down. You dont need to take the Sig to an armorer to make it accurate. Its already there. Max wouldnt throw his name behind something just like that...

Nushif
August 5, 2012, 04:08 PM
It's not an issue of Sig making good guns. It's also not about modified guns.

This is about your stock picture, screen name and tone (which isn't a first from what I gather) ... so, since you're here ... are you advertising?

hyattnc
August 5, 2012, 04:20 PM
Now we have launched into conspiracy theories because of my enthusiasm for a great pistol.

tipoc
August 5, 2012, 04:28 PM
I see the usual discussion of "Max Michels Sig is probably heavily modified" or "its not milspec" or "you are just advertising for Sig" has resulted.

I wonder if you also see the skepticism. A number of posters see that your post reads like an ad for the Sig and not a genuine post speaking about a gun you like. Fellas note that your handle is close to the handle for a certain gunatorium. Folks note that the pic you post is a Sig promo pic and not a pic of your own and this adds to the skepticism.

Sig makes very good guns and their 1911s run well. This one you promote is one set up for competition. Many many times on this forum folks post threads and pics of favorite guns that are modified or custom guns. They may have opinions on specific features. If it suits your needs and tastes well that's good.

The criticism here is less of the gun than of the poster, meaning you, for posting a thread that reads more like a promo ad for a gun than a legitimate post.

Edited to add...

From one of the OPs other posts:
I am one of those "quasi" experts on body armor. I never worked for a body armor company nor am I a scientists or engineer, but I am a dealer of body armor and have shot plenty of it at the range. I am very well read on the topic.

That the op is a dealer on, at least, gun related stuff may be a reason his posts read like promotional ads. Could be everthing he writes reads like that. No offense meant to hyattnc.

tipoc

RickMD
August 5, 2012, 04:37 PM
Since when did a 1911 pistol become "a weapon of mass destruction"? Do you like feeding the anti-gun crowd? I find your post to be ridiculous as well as offensive.

JohnBT
August 5, 2012, 04:57 PM
"Lets wake up and we see that Sig in general makes the best out of the box pistols hands down."

What makes you think we're not awake? I have a Sig X-5 TAC TB, but I don't know that I'd agree with you on Sig making "the best" pistols.

John

Skylerbone
August 5, 2012, 05:00 PM
I see you are a Gunshop owner as you posted here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8308040#post8308040 and it is, in your words "the best damn gunshop in the world". I wonder how many Ed Brown customers you suggest the Sig to.

It's fine by me that you're proud of your accomplishments and beliefs, we need more of that. Spam is only welcome in Hawaii.

Certaindeaf
August 5, 2012, 05:15 PM
^
With that said, I wonder what he'd say to simple/in-store querries considering this unsolicited and grandiose statement asserted in the OP. I know used car salesmen need to sell whats they got but hey, what the hey?
Perhaps listen to the customer without even opening your mouth-hole and then try to sell them what they seem to want/convey.
Conspiracy, feh.

nwilliams
August 5, 2012, 08:59 PM
With that said, I wonder what he'd say to simple/in-store querries considering this unsolicited and grandiose statement asserted in the OP. I know used car salesmen need to sell whats they got but hey, what the hey?
Perhaps listen to the customer without even opening your mouth-hole and then try to sell them what they seem to want/convey.

Well said. I work in a gun shop and I will give my personal opinion on certain guns but would never sell a gun stating that "it's the best". In the gun world there is definitely good and bad guns but best is a matter of opinion and should be constructed as such when advising a customer on what they should purchase. I also don't work off commission so I'd rather the customer buy what they want as opposed to buying what I think they should have.

As far as the OP post goes you are stating that this Sig is "the best" and you're only rationale for saying this is that Max Michel's name is associated with it. You say that you verified that this gun is the best but you didn't state how you verified this, you have given no evidence to support the fact that you own or have even ever fired this gun. If you are going to make a statement that something is the best then you need to justify what you are saying. If you're opinion is that something is the best then make it clear that it is your opinion and then give us more than just Max Michel seems to like it.

August 5, 2012, 09:33 PM
Shouldn't this thread be locked?:barf:

Walkalong
August 5, 2012, 10:48 PM
Seems reasonable to me. Perhaps the OP can try again, since this one has gone south.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Best Damned 1911...the Sig Sauer MAX!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!