School me on the SKS

PDA

ColdDayInHell
August 4, 2012, 01:52 PM
I put a WTB ad on NortheastShooters, another forum I belong to and I have gotten several offers. Do I need to make sure the stock matches the rest of the rifle or does it not matter? And is Tula better than Norinco? What do I look for? I'd appreciate all the info I can get. Someone just offered me a Tula 1953 SKS for $250. I really want one of these historical rifles. Thanks THR!

If you enjoyed reading about "School me on the SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reloadron
August 4, 2012, 02:34 PM
Not a bad price for a good Russian SKS. As to matching numbers? Really depends on what you want the rifle for? I mean if you want it as a collectable then matching numbers are a nice to have, if you want it as just a shooter it really matters not.

Ron

Shawn Dodson
August 4, 2012, 02:35 PM
The condition of the bore is important. If it isn't bright & shiny from breech to muzzle then I'd pass if it were me. I recently looked at a Tula SKS and the bore was hideous.

Look at the front sight. Is it adjusted way to right or left of center? If it is then the front sight assembly could be canted. That's not much of a problem in itself but it could be annoying when you aim it to see the front sight so far off center.

Matching serial numbers are important if you're a collector. If you're buying it just to shoot it then whether or not serial numbers match is entirely up to you.

Also if you're buying it just to shoot it then Tula or Norinco doesn't matter.

Good luck!

meanmrmustard
August 4, 2012, 04:16 PM
SKS rifles will fluctuate due to rarity. Albanians, to my knowledge, are quite rare, but not so special at the range. The norincos and yugos are going to be very readily available, and make superb project rifles. All make great deer/varmint/truck rifles. If you can find a numbers matching Tula, and the price is right, then that'd be my choice. But only for values sake.

If you can get a Yugo for at or under $325, get it. The SKS, given its due on occasion, is a fine shooter (I'd dare say more accurate than its naughty step bro, the AK) and reliable as all get out with its integral mag. You cannot go wrong with an SKS unless you blatantly overpay. Good luck.

Giterboosted
August 4, 2012, 06:14 PM
Just an FYI, around these parts the russian ones are going for 400 or more

Roadking Rider
August 4, 2012, 07:13 PM
As others have said condition is everything. Around my area a good Yugo SKS will go for $350 to $400. I found one a few weeks ago for $269 but that is an extremely rare findin this area.

geo57
August 4, 2012, 07:24 PM
If you decide to pass on the Tula for $ 250 I'd consider it a favor if you'd let me have his contact info. Thanks.

meanmrmustard
August 4, 2012, 07:35 PM
I put a WTB ad on NortheastShooters, another forum I belong to and I have gotten several offers. Do I need to make sure the stock matches the rest of the rifle or does it not matter? And is Tula better than Norinco? What do I look for? I'd appreciate all the info I can get. Someone just offered me a Tula 1954 SKS for $250. I really want one of these historical rifles. Thanks THR!
What shape is it in? Any pictures? $250 for a Tula, is to me, a bit low. $250 is a steal really.

WardenWolf
August 4, 2012, 08:50 PM
My opinion on quality:

Russian = Romanian > Norinco > Yugo > Albanian.

Romanian SKS's are can be harder to find with nice wood, but they're out there, and the fit and finish are otherwise on par with the Russians.

Wildcat_Charlie
August 4, 2012, 09:17 PM
IMO the Norinco is probably the best of the bunch. The Tula should bring more money but you do have to watch the condition of SKS's that have been heavily used. I've seen them be full of crud so bad the bolt wouldn't cycle. Be especially careful about the condition of the firing pin. They should work back and forth freely just from turning the rifle up and down.

ColdDayInHell
August 4, 2012, 11:53 PM
I will post the pictures of the Tula now. He sent me some pics, the stock looks like it's in rough shape but the rest looks ok. I told him that I'd think about it at $250.

ColdDayInHell
August 4, 2012, 11:55 PM
Please let me know if this gun looks good, bad, or whatever you think. Thanks a million.
http://i45.tinypic.com/xe2741.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hgxm2o.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/vr3h1c.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/n5lf2e.jpg

Giterboosted
August 5, 2012, 12:51 AM
Looks pretty good to me!! I think in my opinion you oughta snag that thing, look at it like this, you're getting a Tula for the price of a norinco

Ignition Override
August 5, 2012, 12:55 AM
If you can make a FTF deal (then the seller can ship across state lines in this case), can you bring along a plastic cleaning rod with several patches to remove possible powder or dust from the bore, or would the owner have something to hide?
Will the owner let you pull the trigger a couple of times to feel whether the pull is fairly smooth, or rough? TriggerDoc can smooth it for about $70 incl. shipping.

"SKSboards.com".
One of the forums is for the Russians. As you might know, these have chrome-lined bores, as with the Norincos. The Russians usually have all of the better features and the nice, classic blade bayonet with no grenade launcher (better c.g.).

ColdDayInHell
August 5, 2012, 12:57 AM
Thank. I have no idea what the bore looks like as he said that his camera just died. I will wait and see what others on here have to say. I guess it might be a good deal!

I have 2 more pictures he sent me. Do you want me to post them? It is the stock and the bayonet.

Wildcat_Charlie
August 5, 2012, 01:03 AM
It's the inside of the gun that really matters for whether it will work or not. I haven't seen anything bad in your photos but photos of the action with the dust cover off and possibly of the trigger assembly would tell more. And photos of the bolt could be revealing too. You just don't want one that's so gummed up with residue that it won't cycle. Even if you did get one of those it would be possible to clean it up but you wouldn't know if it worked right or not until you did clean it up. And certain bad things can happen if the firing pin channel is really dirty (like slam fires where the rifle continues to fire like a machine gun until it runs out of ammo). If the firing pin sticks then you could have that happen. If you aren't really familiar with guns I'd have a gunsmith check it out before you committed although you could probably sell parts from the gun even if half of it was broken beyond repair and get your money back. People like their Tula's and that is a very good price.

ColdDayInHell
August 5, 2012, 01:09 AM
I also made an error. This gun is a 1953, which I thought said 1954. Is this a less common year for the Tula SKS?

These are his exact words to me : "It is a Tula 1953 with all matching numbers except the stock. It has the sling and the butt stock cleaning kit (no oiler). I replaced the original firing pin with a spring shrouded one to keep it from slam firing on soft commercial primers (I think I have the original). Shoots great. "

ColdDayInHell
August 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
I might buy a Yugo. Here are the numbers. Let me know what a good price is. It's in great shape. It is a Yugo 59/66 M series (1976) with all matching serial numbers, original stock, grenade launcher and bayonet.

Wildcat_Charlie
August 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
I have a Yugo but I would rather have another Norinco. That grenade launcher is just useless for anything except historical value. If you want a rifle to shoot get a Tula or a Norinco. Unless that Tula you mentioned before is just really full of crud I'd very likely buy it especially at that price. You could double your money on that rifle is you sold it in my neck of the woods.

Yugos are good rifles. Don't get me wrong. It's just that the Norincos and Russians are better because they weigh less.

If you enjoyed reading about "School me on the SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!