Trying to learn about Beretta 96d's in .40

PDA

Col. Plink
August 4, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hey y'all, saw a Beretta 96d that looked like it may be a good choice in .40.

What's their reputation? Don't know much about them and didn't see any on the auction sites for comparison.

Are they rare or something? Anyone know a ballpark value on them (this particular one does not have a perfect finish)? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Trying to learn about Beretta 96d's in .40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shipwreck
August 4, 2012, 07:37 PM
D models are no longer current production. They will be DAO - with a long, heavy pull each time.

I have nine Beretta 92s. Some people like them in 40 caliber (the 96 model). I personally would not care for anything in true DAO for every shot. Get a regular DA/SA 96, if you like. The trigger has a "D" spring in it, which is about 3lbs less than the normal DA pull. But, that's still 8.5 pounds or so for each and every shot. Sorta like an uncocked revolver every time.

Some guys like the D models. Not something I would want.

jon_in_wv
August 4, 2012, 09:51 PM
The Beretta D models do have a longer trigger pull but "heavy"? No. The DOA trigger pull of the Berettas are among the nicest of any DAO pistols

berettaprofessor
August 5, 2012, 11:39 AM
Just think of them as a good revolver except with twice the number of cartridges, a safety, and much easier to clean.

JTQ
August 5, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'm guessing these are probably former law enforcement 96's. I saw a couple in the local gun store a couple of months ago. They had a lot of holster wear, but otherwise looked good and were very smooth. The gun store was asking $400 - $450 range for each. I thought that was a reasonable price.

khegglie
August 5, 2012, 03:43 PM
I have one with a Crimson trace laser grip on it. It has all of the pros and cons of the 92 series you can look up on posts here. The recoil is very manageable, tho I can't compare it with a 92(havent shot many of those).

If you enjoyed reading about "Trying to learn about Beretta 96d's in .40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!