Need help narrowing down Lever Actions

PDA

fishblade2
August 5, 2012, 10:00 PM
I am very interested in a lever action rifle that fires the 45-70 round. I so far know of the marlin stp trapper but are there any others that I'm missing? Thanks for the help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help narrowing down Lever Actions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jaxondog
August 5, 2012, 10:13 PM
Sure there are other's, I just prefer Winchester in the 45-70

wlewisiii
August 5, 2012, 10:17 PM
Model 1886 Extra Light Rifle. I'd like one someday, though it'll probably be after I get a 94 in .38-55.

MrDig
August 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
To me the Marlins are stronger and actually simpler to field strip and work on.
I own 4 lever guns and all of them are Marlins.
I have worked on the Winchester levers I just don't like them too many parts and too complicated.

Red Cent
August 5, 2012, 10:46 PM
I am with Mr. Dig. Look around for a 336 1895 CB 26". Easy to tune, clean and very accurate.

The 92s and 94s are a pain to strip and clean and reassemble.

ndh87
August 5, 2012, 11:23 PM
I so far know of the marlin stp trapper but are there any others that I'm missing?

Any of the Marlin 1895 series guns are the way to go. Find a used (pre remington) one if at all possible, better fit and finish on em.

mberoose
August 5, 2012, 11:26 PM
JM stamp is all you need to the path of righteousness

TonyAngel
August 6, 2012, 01:46 AM
Man, the Marlin Trappers sure are purdy, although they can be a handful. I've wanted one for a long time.

cpt-t
August 6, 2012, 01:50 AM
fishblade2; My Son and I both have long barreled MARLIN 1895 CB`s. We bought them to COWBOY ACTION shoot with and we really enjoy them. But we hunt with them now to, PIG HUNT down in TX and OK, and DEER in KS and MO. I use the same light load that I use in COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING, and I have not had to look very far for any thing I have shot. Most every thing just drops where I shoot them or with in a few yards. My Son likes to use the hot AMMO for the 45-70 to hunt with, but I think it is very uncomfortable to shoot. I am getting more recoil sentive all the time. I plan to use my Marlin 45-70 to go ELK hunting next year if I can go. We have several Marlin Lever guns and prefer them to other Lever guns. They are great to carry and and hunt with. GOOD LUCK TO YOU: ken

StrawHat
August 6, 2012, 08:17 AM
Marlin was the first manufacturer to bring the 45-70 Gov't cartridge to a lever action rifle, with the Model 1881. As the years went on, the made improvements to the action and eventually used the Model 336 to "recreate" the Model 1895 we know today. Winchester eventually brought out the 1886 and offered it in several variations through the years. What I like, is a 24" Marlin is about the same weight as the Winchester lightweight model, around 7 pounds.

Currently, there are several reproductions of the Winchester Model and Marlin still offers the 1895. (Some other companies may offer a 45-70, but I am not familiar with them). Style and personal choice will determine what you prefer.

Me, I have several 45-70s, but none are lever actioned. Bolt, single shot and one old double, handle my 45-70 needs.

rule303
August 6, 2012, 11:22 AM
Rossi makes their Rio Grande in .45/70. It is basically a carbon copy of the Marlin.

snakeman
August 6, 2012, 11:41 AM
Marlin 1895 or maybe rossi rio grande.

mdauben
August 6, 2012, 12:17 PM
My first choice would be a pre-Remington Marlin 1895. I believe both Rossi and Henry are now making lever actions in .45/70, but I don't know how the quality compares to the old Marlins.

Snag
August 6, 2012, 12:19 PM
Model 1886 Extra Light Rifle.

This is what I have and I can't say enough good things about it. I prefer the looks and the action on the Winchester's over the Marlin's. The newer manufactured 1886's are every bit as strong as the Marlin 95, reportedly stronger by some people.

eastbank
August 6, 2012, 12:55 PM
i have a early marlin 95(1973) in 45-70 and like it,but i also like my winchester 94 timber carbine in 444 mar., it is slimer and more agaile for me and just as powerfull in the real hunting world. eastbank.

DPris
August 6, 2012, 01:33 PM
The JM stamp does not guarantee the Marlin was made pre-Remington.
Remington was still using up remaining stocks of JM-marked barrels made at the old plant until they ran out at the new plant.
Denis

adelbridge
August 6, 2012, 02:45 PM
Ruger 1 and T/C Contender and Encore single shot lever guns

mastiffhound
August 8, 2012, 11:46 AM
Marlins are very smooth cycling, just a real joy to shoot. Mine is a pre-Remington 336. Never shot the .45-70 but I did have a 1895 in .44 magnum. I traded it to a friend for my first bolt action and I've regretted it ever since. Get a Marlin, mine whoops my friends other lever, a Winchester in .30-30. It is just more accurate. Now that I think about it, I want one in .45-70!

Birddog1911
August 8, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm going to have to research the Uberti 1886, because that is just a beauty of a rifle.

Molasses
August 8, 2012, 02:35 PM
My favorite for shooting targets is my Browning repro of the 1886 Winchester. However, it's a heavy pig that pretty much only gets used at matches and the range.

So, I've got two Marlin 1895s: a short CB and a GS that's been set up scout style. They're what I'd choose between if I was going to take a .45-70 levergun hunting or anything like that where it'd be carried much.

Malamute
August 8, 2012, 02:58 PM
I've owned both Marlins and original and modern Winchester/Browning 1886's, I much prefer the action of the Winchester type.

Not sure where the idea the Marins are "stonger" came from, but those that work with them with very heavy loads say different. Either are fine for what most of us ever do with them, including some uncomfortably warm loads, so whatever difference there is in strength is in the mind of the beholder, and has little to no practical applicabilty.

So far, in fooling with various Winchester and Browning 86's for the past 30-some years, I've never had a need to take one apart to clean it, I was always able to clean them quite well without taking them apart in any way, even when shooting black powder.

It's more personal preference than real advantages on either side. I like the history, looks, feel and function of the 86 Winchester action. I find they are much easier to use for small game and grouse hunting when leaving the magazine loaded with full power loads, shooting the light loads singly. The chamber is much easier to reach, and the way the action cycles makes it much easier to eject the fired round, push the lifter back down, and load another round singly. The Marlin action is frustrating to do so the way the action cycles. If you want to scope one, the Marlins are simpler to scope. They are also a little lighter depending on the version of Winchester/Browning. My preference is the Browning 1886 carbine for carry in the mountains. I put good sling mounts on it, the front set into the band, a Lyman No 56 receiver sight, and had the barrel/magazine cut to 20".

joecil
August 8, 2012, 05:35 PM
I just bought a Rossi Rio Grande 45-70 and have owned a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt for a couple of years now. I actually looked at the Marlin and Rossi side by side and the difference was very little other than the price. Marlin over $750 and Rossi under $450. Fit and finish on the one I bought was excellent also and fired perfectly with the single box of 20 rounds of factory ammo I purchased to test it with. Now will be making my own loads for it soon.

Salmoneye
August 8, 2012, 05:48 PM
Any of the Marlin 1895 series guns are the way to go. Find a used (pre remington) one if at all possible, better fit and finish on em.

There can be only one...

fishblade2
August 9, 2012, 08:53 PM
thank you for your comments and help. By the way Birddog tell me how the research looked for the Uberti gun as well because I have always wanted to obtain an Uberti gun.

TanklessPro
August 9, 2012, 09:09 PM
I love my Marlin 1895 LTD STD III. Only bad thing is they only made 1000. I will buy another if I run accross it.

ExAgoradzo
August 9, 2012, 09:43 PM
Nobody has said anything about the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. Shoot it with the Hornady Leverevolution 325s. Everything you've ever wanted. I also bought some Corbon 460HC then did the math and the 325s come with more hittin' power: lighter load faster travel.
They shoot wonderfully and though they push harder than the cowboy loads (which are more expensive) they don't push as hard as the HC.
The fit on my Marlington is not what by earlier Marlins have or certainly my 2 Brownings, but it is fine for what it is.

Malamute
August 9, 2012, 10:08 PM
I don't know what the Ubertis sell for, but if you like the 1886 action, there's a Browning 86 carbine on the leverguns forum, new in the box for $1050. The Brownings are head and shoulders above any other version of the 1886's, in fit, finish, and have no crossbolt or rebound hammer safeties, just the half cock, like they originally came with from 1886 to 1935.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42285&sid=6e60c7c308b636f202584f7294dff001

razorback2003
August 9, 2012, 11:56 PM
Look at the Marlin. You can clean it from the back. The winchester you have to clean from the front. The marlin is a good rifle and easier to take care of. Winchesters are great too but are more delicate. I own a Winchester lever rifle, and not a Marlin, so take that for what it is worth.

snake284
August 10, 2012, 01:14 AM
I am very interested in a lever action rifle that fires the 45-70 round. I so far know of the marlin stp trapper but are there any others that I'm missing? Thanks for the help!

For lever guns, though they aren't usually quite as accurate, I prefer the Winchester 94. However, for a 45-70 I'd go for a Marlin Stainless Guide Gun. The reasons I love Winchesters are mainly asthetic. But the Marlin is one tough, accurate rifle. I don't yet own one, but I will someday.

Malamute
August 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
I find the discussion regarding cleaning from the back vs cleaning from the muzzle interesting. It's often mentioned as a drawback regarding Winchesters, but I don't recall it ever being brought up as a drawback regarding M1 Garands, M1-A's, M1 Carbines, Mini-14's, AK's, SKS's, Savage 99's and likely some others I'm forgetting, all of which must be cleaned from the muzzle end.

Interesting.

Also nobody mentions if it isn't taken apart, there aren't small parts to lose. :D

wlewisiii
August 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
If you haven't seen this beauty, well, if you have the budget this is probably the nicest 1886 out there right now:

http://turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=34270

dagger dog
August 10, 2012, 07:30 PM
Henry is producing a 45-70 now.

AABEN
August 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Marlin 336

CraigC
August 12, 2012, 05:47 PM
The Marlins are certainly more affordable and plentiful. The Winchester 1886 is more robust, more refined, smoother and without doubt the strongest available but also usually more expensive. Although I do remember a very nice 1886 Extra Light that was only about $100 more than a new 1895 Cowboy at the time. I found a Browning saddle ring carbine last year for $700.

The cleaning issue always seems to come up but to me it's a non-issue. I've never sat and looked at one of my Winchesters thinking, "man, I love this rifle but just wish it was easier to take apart". Because I can't remember the last time I needed to.

To me the Marlins are stronger...
Sorry but this just isn't true.

SwampWolf
August 13, 2012, 02:34 PM
Model 1886 Extra Light Rifle.

This would be my pick and I love the one I have (Browning repo). Every bit as strong as the most robust Marlin ever made and, in my experience, the action is smoother than the usual Marlin. I'm not knocking the Marlin (they are very well-made and accurate rifles); I just prefer the feel and butter-smooth action evidenced by the typical Winchester Model 1886 (and its ilk).

AKwater
September 2, 2012, 12:48 PM
I do not recommend the Rossi Rio Grand. It is very similar to the Marlin but has a lighter barrel. Here is what happened when I bought one this year.
When I moved to Alaska this year I saved up my money to buy a good all around rifle for bear safety and hunting moose and caribou. I thought the Rossi 45-70 Rio Grand would fit the bill well and bought one on May 1. After putting one round through it I discovered it was defective and wouldn’t feed. Since the rifle had a lifetime warranty I sent it in to get fixed. After about 6 weeks I began to contact the Rossi customer service. This is the only gun I have for bear protection and by this time bear season was in full swing. I was told it should be done 6-8 weeks after it was received. I thought this was a bit excessive but couldn’t do much about it. I continued to call the customer service every few weeks. After they had the rifle for 10 weeks a gunsmith finally looked at it. Apparently they decided to replace the barrel which has nothing to do with shells not releasing from the magazine. By this time hunting season is creeping up and my only rifle is still not back. Now I have been calling them every week and get the same response they are waiting for the barrel to arrive from Brazil. This week I found out the barrel is being shipped by boat and they still have no idea when they will get it. Last week I went on a caribou hunt and had no rifle which seems ridiculous seeing I bought this Rossi brand new on May1. I think this has got to the point of being unreasonable. I expect I will get back the rifle sometime after hunting season is over and it still won’t work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help narrowing down Lever Actions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!