How do you like the Sig Sauer P226?

PDA

kazaam
August 6, 2012, 03:29 PM
Strongly considering buying the Sig Sauer P226 Elite Stainless and want to know what you guys think about it and if there's anything I should know about it before I buy. I think this gun is one of the best looking handguns I've laid my eyes on. :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you like the Sig Sauer P226?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dreamliner787
August 6, 2012, 04:10 PM
The P226 is absolutely one for my favorites since my first one in the 80's to my most latest versions. Second would be the P229.

Inebriated
August 6, 2012, 04:15 PM
Love it. Wish I could get myself to buy a Stainless Elite.

wally
August 6, 2012, 05:30 PM
Just make sure you like the DA/SA mode of operation.

Love my P226 at the range, where its insert mag, drop the slide, and enjoy the wonderful SA trigger, but I never could get used that DA first shot the way it would be carried.

Its almost always the favorite of new shooters until I have them de-cock it a few times and then shoot. Usually they then decide a Glock, M&P, or XD would be better for their limited amount of practice time at the range.

DefiantDad
August 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
Just for myself, as a new shooter, I kind of think the DA/SA is good in the sense that it is harder to get off a first shot unless you really intend to do so. Then after that first shot, all other shots are easier with the SA. So I guess that is more err-ing on the side of safety/deliberation. You could cock the hammer first of course, just like a revolver, for the first shot.

Anyway, on the 226, I shot that a number of weeks ago as part of my self-education on all manner of firearms that I can rent and shoot. It was a great shooter.

In fact, almost all my friends who have black semi autos have the Sig Sauer. I think I am the only guy with the Glock, and the MAIN reason I keep hearing from them why they chose Sig and not Glock was that they think the Glock is ugly. Having said that, every one of them who shot my Glock 19 loved it. They keep saying they would definitely get that if it wasn't so ugly. I can never understand that reasoning. They shoot my Glock 19 even better than their Sigs!

OK, let me wrap up by saying definitely I would buy a 226 if I had the extra cash and have bought all the other handguns I want. I don't mean to sound like a Glock fanboy because I am so new to this gun stuff I can't see how I can justify being a fan of any firearm, but I would buy maybe 2 or 3 more Glocks to round out my 9mm and .45 Glock collection first, and THEN I would definitely buy a 226.

If I had to start all over again from scratch, I think I might actually buy a 226 before I buy the Beretta 92 which I already have right now. I bought the Beretta without really knowing very much about it and was sold by the LGS on it.

1KPerDay
August 6, 2012, 05:43 PM
Love my 226. Only thing I'd change is I'd get an SA variant. But that's just me.

tlatoani
August 6, 2012, 05:59 PM
Love my stainless 226. I shoot it really well so far...still pretty new to me.

Gik-tal
August 6, 2012, 06:59 PM
Lets face it, it's a Sig whats not to love

pearsonm
August 6, 2012, 07:37 PM
Lets face it, it's a Sig whats not to love

The price. I don't mind spending a little more for quality but damn, $800 for a 9mm? You can get a nice 1911 for that kind of money.

kazaam
August 6, 2012, 08:22 PM
The price. I don't mind spending a little more for quality but damn, $800 for a 9mm? You can get a nice 1911 for that kind of money.
Tell me about it. I don't want to buy used, and I also want a stainless. That'll set me back about $1100...OMG way more than I wanted to spend for my first gun! :eek: :(

Inebriated
August 6, 2012, 08:33 PM
I'm trying to pony up for a Stainless Elite P220 or P226 myself... it's not easy to see that price tag.

wojownik
August 6, 2012, 08:37 PM
I love mine. Used W.German police trade in p226. Has been super accurate and flawless for the 14 years I've had it.

But, to be honest, it's taken a back seat to my Sig p229s and p228s, which are may mainstay handguns for EDC, IDPA and plinking. And, to be honest, I'd be hard pressed to go for a p226 at today's prices (granted, I bought mine when they were in the $500-600 range, compared to today's $800-900 budget busters). And, the tac rail is another negative, at least to me. I have a p220 Carry, and the one think I dislike about it is the tac rail.

12guagecody
August 6, 2012, 09:40 PM
I love mine, carry it daily

FMF Doc
August 6, 2012, 10:50 PM
I think it is the greatest combat pistol in service today. As a civilian, with some good 124gr +p JHPs, it really doesn't get any better unless you move up to a long gun.

That being said, I carry a Glock 19, because I can' afford a new Sig P226 Tacops.

mohunter55
August 8, 2012, 07:42 PM
pick mine up tomorrow. its a standard sig p226r. i cant wait

itchy1
August 8, 2012, 07:56 PM
I have a W. Ger 226. Excellent SA trigger, comfortable ergos and minimal recoil = a pure pleasure to shoot. Stacks up very nicely against the other 9's I own.

Old Dog
August 8, 2012, 08:09 PM
Count me on the bandwagon. SIGs are my favorite (non-1911) semi-autos. I love the 226 (especially with the Mec-Gar 18 round magazines), although I do hate the rails. My P-228s are my favorite 9mm carry pistols (with the Mec-Gar 15-rounders, of course); my 229 in .40 is my only railed SIG ...

Did I mention that if one is a .40 S&W fan, the 226 is the best service-sized platform for the caliber, bar none ...

SwampWolf
August 13, 2012, 09:03 PM
I think SIGs are generally over-priced for what you get but I really like my Model 220 and Model 226 pistols. My 226 is in the E2 configuration and it fits my over-sized hands extremely well. If I were you, I'd try the E2 version on for size and get it if it fits you as well as it fits me.

sigarms228
August 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
I love my P226s. The P226 and P228 are my all time favorite 9MM pistols and IMO well worth the price of admission.

The main problem with them is that many SIG pistol owners, like myself, end up with more than a few SIG pistols shortly thereafter which can impact the bank account balance. :D

I did buy this one as a CPO for $495 a couple years ago. About 2000 trouble free rounds through it since then.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/kk9zz/pp228-18ajpg.jpg

LTR shooter
August 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
My 226 is in the E2 configuration and it fits my over-sized hands extremely well.

That is what I also picked up a several months ago. The E2 grip also fits my small hand very well , I like it much better than the grip on my compact P239.

The accuracy of the P226 9mm has been exceptional , a very good trigger in both DA/SA especially for a service pistol and of course totally reliable.

It is also the first hi-capacity pistol I've ever owned in 25 years of shooting handguns and the also the first with night sites.

Easily one of the best guns I have ever owned.

340PD
August 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
Simple answer. The gun that is carried by some of the most elite armed forces in the world. Parts available worldwide, Rock solid reputation for over twenty years.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/SigP226.jpg

activsean
August 15, 2012, 03:37 PM
I currently own a plain 226r in .40...love it. I have previously owned a stainless elite 220 and a stainless elite 229 in .40. the elite series are pretty but the wood grips are for asthetics only. put the e2 conversion on an elite and you have the ultimate sig...IMHO!

EAJ
August 15, 2012, 03:40 PM
Here's a 9mm SIG P226 USPSA-S Reverse Two-Tone W/ Equinox Grips

http://www.ptdoityourself.net/collection/images/sig226uspsa_01.jpg

SIG P226 Elite Stainless

http://www.ptdoityourself.net/collection/images/sig226_06.jpg

powder
August 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
Got a German LEO trade-in, $400+ shipping. Parts kit+SRT=completely new pistol. Loves 124 gr..

Dr.Rob
August 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
to me, the 226 is the best DA/SA pistol I have ever handled.

Thing is at the time (early 90's) it was also one of the most expensive pistols on the market, and SA only versions weren't available.

Sig makes good stuff. I'm just not really a fan of DA/SA.

Scrumbag
August 15, 2012, 04:36 PM
Great pistols. My first ever hand gun. Fits my hand well. If you like it and shoot well with it, go for it.

Enjoy your shooting!

ATB,

Scrummy

pat701
August 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
It's a classic pistol. The standard that all other pistols want to meet.

August 16, 2012, 01:59 AM
The P226 is a great pistol, no doubt a bout it. But, the P228 is about a perfectly balanced all metal pistol for me. More compact, equally legendary reliability, and same 15-round capacity in a flush fit mag. What's not to love?

shl4sig
August 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
Great topic for my first post!

My 226 was the first handgun I purchased many years ago, so long ago in fact it says "made in West Germany" on the slide!

I've relied on this pistol for decades now. Hundreds of rounds down range and still runs like a champ. You won't go wrong with this purchase!

August 16, 2012, 02:26 AM
^^^
Great topic for my first post!

My 226 was the first handgun I purchased many years ago, so long ago in fact it says "made in West Germany" on the slide!

I've relied on this pistol for decades now. Hundreds of rounds down range and still runs like a champ. You won't go wrong with this purchase!
Only a few hundred rounds over decades? Folks usually shoot a few hundred rounds in one session.:p

Btw, welcome!:D

coalman
August 16, 2012, 09:40 PM
Love the gun in SA, not in DA.
Love the look, not the price.
Love the grip/feel, not the weak frame finish.
Big and heavy for the 15-17rds it offers. Got my first SIG cheap. I've tried to buy another, but can get past what you pay for what you get. Still on the lookout...

kazaam
August 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
Heh, I'm also a little worried about spending so much on my first gun. :eek:

el Godfather
August 16, 2012, 10:08 PM
I really like my Sig Sauer p226 elite

KMcCoy
August 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
Decided to buy one based upon everyone's positive reviews/comments, until I handled one. The ergonomics were completely wrong for my hand. All I'm saying is that you need to hold something before you lay out the cash, the best pistol in the world (which this may be based on the hype) is no good for you if it doesn't fit.

August 16, 2012, 11:01 PM
Decided to buy one based upon everyone's positive reviews/comments, until I handled one. The ergonomics were completely wrong for my hand. All I'm saying is that you need to hold something before you lay out the cash, the best pistol in the world (which this may be based on the hype) is no good for you if it doesn't fit
Exactly!

footballboy3
August 17, 2012, 12:34 AM
My 226 was my first gun purchase b/c it fit my hand the best of 8 different pistols my friend let me shoot . I wasn't so keen on the price$$$ but the more I read about it I was convinced it was a good choice. My wife likes it too and she has small hands.

Dr_B
August 17, 2012, 02:29 AM
Here's my story:

I bought a 226 in 9mm two years ago. Aluminum frame, standard 226. I stopped counting rounds at 4000. I use it sometimes in steel and action matches. Its as reliable as a revolver.

I liked my 226 so much l bought another... the stainless elite, also 9mm. It has been back to the factory twice. It fails to lock back on the last round and feeds empties back into the chamber (regardless of lighter or heavier springs). This is sig's pistol that goes through the custom shop.

I still like my first 226 though.

sigarms228
August 17, 2012, 08:53 AM
I liked my 226 so much l bought another... the stainless elite, also 9mm. It has been back to the factory twice. It fails to lock back on the last round and feeds empties back into the chamber (regardless of lighter or heavier springs). This is sig's pistol that goes through the custom shop.

I am sorry to hear about your problems with your P226 Stainless Elite. However I have never heard or read that the P226 Stainles Elite comes from the SIG Mastershop. The P226 X-Five that is German proofed yes but not the P226 Stainless Elite.

Dr_B
August 17, 2012, 01:20 PM
Regardless of whether or not it went through the master shop, it wasn't supposed to perform as it did.

pearsonm
August 18, 2012, 10:22 AM
OK, you Sig guys are driving me nuts. I still can't justify the price of a new 226. It's not just the price - I don't know how well I'll take to DA/SA and the grip feels too fat for my hand.

What about CPO's? Are they a good value or are you just buying next years headaches?

tlatoani
August 18, 2012, 10:35 AM
Not sure on cop but I found a used stainless with both 40&357 barrels for $600. Shop around...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

TMann
August 18, 2012, 10:56 AM
The 226 is one of the great, classic 9mms. It does have a couple of downsides, though:

- Big grip/long trigger reach, especially when shooting DA. I've never tried any of the E2 models, so those might be better for us small-handed folks.
- Slide release is in a different spot than the most semi-autos (back, rather than front lever.)
- Higher bore axis than some other common brands (Glock, S&W, CZ, etc.)

The last two issues aren't that significant, IMO, as they are only noticeable when switching from another brand of handgun. Clearly, it hasn't slowed down the numerous "professionals" who use the 226/229.

For me, the long trigger reach was the big issue, as I have small hands for a guy. I owned a 226 and a 229 for a while, but I could never get that comfortable with the trigger. Eventually, I ended up switching over to Hipowers.

TMann

sigarms228
August 18, 2012, 11:46 AM
OK, you Sig guys are driving me nuts. I still can't justify the price of a new 226. It's not just the price - I don't know how well I'll take to DA/SA and the grip feels too fat for my hand.

What about CPO's? Are they a good value or are you just buying next years headaches?

You REALLY need to try a P226 to see if it works for you. Most likely every gun rental range in America will have a P226 so it should not be hard to find one.

YES CPOs are outstanding values, speaking as the owner of a couple including the picture I posted earlier, and then if you decide to sell you can get most if not all of your money back to a provtae party sale.

Otherwise I suggest the SIG SP2022 - a poly framed SIG hammer fired pistol for about half the price of a new P226. I have one of those too and they are great - my favorite hammer fired poly frame pistol that I shoot just as well as my P226.

If you want thinner grips with changeable backstraps, not a DA/SA pistol, and an outstanding trigger look no further that the Walther PPQ.

pearsonm
August 18, 2012, 12:30 PM
Otherwise I suggest the SIG SP2022 - a poly framed SIG hammer fired pistol for about half the price of a new P226. I have one of those too and they are great - my favorite hammer fired poly frame pistol that I shoot just as well as my P226.

I already promised the guys at the range I bought my wife's M&P9c from I would try their 226 rental. One of my buddies is a former MP and current cop. He's a 1911 guy first, a Sig guy second. I tried his .40 Sig (I don't know what model it is but it looks more like a 2022 than a 226). I didn't really take to it, but it's a 10-year old battle ax with a lot of rounds through it.

I've been intrigued by the 2022 for a long time but I'm not finding a lot of information from current owners. The CZ75 fits me like a glove, but I can’t find one to rent. I liked the FNX9 I rented a few months ago but I’ve read about some issues with that particular model. I need an event like a pistol-specific Knob Creek where I can try some less than standard rental guns like the 2022, CZ's, Hi-Powers, Walthers and RIA 9mm 1911's.

Doug DeGraves
August 18, 2012, 01:08 PM
Guys,

I just got a 226 Elite Stainless in 40, I mean JUST got it. I have not even shot it. But two of the three magazines will not lock back. They will, however, lock back just fine in my 229. I notice very minor differences in the followers. What suggestions can you give me? New mags? New followers?

What do you think of the SRT?

Doug

kazaam
August 18, 2012, 01:15 PM
Interesting, yours came with 3 mags? I thought 2 was standard. Was it used? Maybe theyre cheap aftermarket mags?

SwampWolf
August 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
For me, the long trigger reach was the big issue, as I have small hands for a guy. I owned a 226 and a 229 for a while, but I could never get that comfortable with the trigger.

The relatively new E2 grip/frame, coupled with a short trigger option, might make a Model 226 work for you.

SpentCasing
August 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
My buddy has a really nice E2 model. However, for DA/SA metal framed pistol I prefer Beretta. I did like the 226 over the HK USP I owned but I sold both and still keep going back to the Beretta 92 for my DA/SA service pistol needs. I personally find the controls on the Sig to be goofy, but others seem to make it work just fine.

sigarms228
August 18, 2012, 02:01 PM
I've been intrigued by the 2022 for a long time but I'm not finding a lot of information from current owners

This might help. There is a ton on feedback on the SP2022 with almost all of it very positive.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403913

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3871-Sig-2022-9mm

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5220043692?r=6370043692#6370043692

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=371377

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=19072

http://www.ballistics101.com/sigpro2022.php

http://www.guns.com/reviews/sig-sauer-sp2022.html

http://hunting.outdoorzy.com/sig-sauers-best-kept-secret-the-sig-pro-sp2022/

pearsonm
August 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
This might help. There is a ton on feedback on the SP2022 with almost all of it very positive.

Thank you for the links, I'll check into 'em. I should have said '..I'm not finding a lot of information here..'.

Dr_B
August 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
Hey Doug,

I've noticed a small difference in the new followers as well. They didn't make any difference in my older 226.

Doug DeGraves
August 18, 2012, 08:01 PM
Guys, I forgot to mention that mine came with two exchnage kits, one for .357 SIG and the other 22 LR. It also has the SRT and the short trigger option. I like them both. The SRT might take a little while to get used to and I don't shoot as often as I would like (or afford!) I shot the 40 and 22LR a little while after my eariler post just to check the function, I'm a happy camper! What a nice gun!

I then looked at the followers in those three 40 mags. They are all different. The one from the .357 kit is a ten rounder and has a plastic floor plate. The other two have metal floor plates. I put each one in the gun and racked it back and manually locked it open when I had to and then used a strong flashlight to look at how the slide stop interacts with the plastic magazine followers. On two they did not touch. With a strong magnfier, I then looked at the spot where the slide stop is supposed to hit the follower and have concluded that it's damage/wear and tear is why they don't work. I also found that the one that works has more support in the that area of the follower hits the slide stop, so its a design change. I'm just going to order a few new followers.

But here's a question, the 229 is the compact version of the 226, right, so why do they have the same round capacity? I had no problem getting 12 rounds into the 229 mags but I could only get 11 into the 226 mags, and the 226 mags stick out of the 229 about one round's worth. I did take the mags a part and the 226 spring was noticalbly longer. That has to be it. So are there 13 or 14 round magazines available? I have not had time to check the SIG Website. I'm almost afraid to look at the accesories page, I might find something I like!

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you like the Sig Sauer P226?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!