How will the Marriage Amendment discussions be handled in L&P?

PDA

Moparmike
February 24, 2004, 09:21 PM
I realize that this will probably be a touchy subject as far as discussion goes, but it is an impending (so it seems) legal discussion area and should be thought about as to its handling.

Will it be nixed like Abortion threads?
Will it be scrutinized with a fine-toothed comb? <---my personal pick
Will it be treated as a normal thread, "wait until it starts veering on and off The High Road?"

If you enjoyed reading about "How will the Marriage Amendment discussions be handled in L&P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff White
February 24, 2004, 10:19 PM
But I don't see how they fit into the format.

Legal and Political
Get informed on issues affecting the right to keep and bear arms and other civil rights. Coordinate activism, debate with allies and opponents. Discuss laws concerning firearm ownership, concealed carry and self-defense.

Jeff

TheBluesMan
February 24, 2004, 11:04 PM
Mike,

It is a valid question.

One could easily make a case for homosexual marriage to be a civil rights issue.

One could also make a case for these divisive discussions to be locked on sight like Abortion threads are; although they, too, could be considered civil rights topics.

This could become the 28th amendment to the Constitution, if it does, how can we avoid discussing it?

Obviously, I haven't completely formulated my position on the topicality of the marriage amendment in L&P. I would lean toward allowing them, but would put them under strict scrutiny. Jeff's point above cannot be ignored either.

We welcome all thoughtful opinions.

Mike Irwin
February 25, 2004, 02:17 AM
My worry is that even though it's a civil rights issue but like the abortion issue the religious overtones are simply too pervasive.

Give it the old college try, but I suspect that it's going to be a subject that's banned fairly quickly as debate becomes intense.

tyme
February 25, 2004, 05:12 PM
There's plenty of discussion about the Marriage amendment going on on the Conlawprof list. See the link to the conlawprof archives in the THR Library.

I doubt discussion on THR would be any more productive than reading the discussion of a bunch of law professors.

If you enjoyed reading about "How will the Marriage Amendment discussions be handled in L&P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!