Weird Federal ammo issue

PDA

mesinge2
August 6, 2012, 10:05 PM
I just bought a 100 round value pack of Federal Champion 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ RN and a 50 round box of Federal Champion 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ RN. They only had one 100rd box for $29.95 and they had a bunch of 50rd boxes for $18.95. If they had more of the 100 round I would have bought more but they only had one.

Here's the issue the value pack ammo appears to be of higher quality than the 50 round box that was more expensive. In the pics below a cartridge from the 100rd value pack is on the right and the 50rd box's cartridge is on the left. The primer on the cartridge from the 100rd value pack is larger and the brass is much cleaner. This is very weird.

Should I not shoot one of these boxes?

If so, which one?

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/mesinge2/Misc/457.jpg
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/mesinge2/Misc/458.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Weird Federal ammo issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
grendelbane
August 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
Shoot both.

The ammunition manufacturers are trying to switch to small primer brass for the .45 ACP. While this might upset handloaders, it won't affect the first time it is shot.

After you have fired both side by side, if there are any noticeable differences, you will then know which one you like best.

Molasses
August 6, 2012, 11:00 PM
What Grendelbane said ^

mesinge2
August 6, 2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys

forindooruseonly
August 7, 2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah. Imagine my confusion as I tried to reload a bunch of .45 ACP with small primer Federal brass mixed in. Trying to shove a large pistol primer into a small pistol primer hole doesn't work to well. Thankfully, I know better that to just force anything, but it certainly had me flummoxed for a minute, since I had never run into that before.

mesinge2
August 7, 2012, 11:57 PM
I just didn't understand them being different because they were both Federal Champion 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ RN

TennJed
August 8, 2012, 04:18 AM
I have noticed Blazer brass is also small pistol. Does anyone know the reasoning behind the switch? I am assuming it is cheaper for the companies, but do not know for sure

If you enjoyed reading about "Weird Federal ammo issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!