What have I found?

PDA

cdbeaver
January 31, 2003, 10:40 AM
Today I acquired a little .22 rifle relic that a friend of mine found while moving from his old home into a new one. He's amenable to selling it, but I don't know what it's worth. Here's some information to help in identifying the thing:

Single shot .22 tip-up barrel w/hammer. Over-all length 31 1/2 inches, barrel length 16 inches. Inscribed on left side of receiver:

The Hamilton Rifle No. 2/22 caliber
Patented Oct. 30 1900 Oct. 13, 1907
MFD. BY C. J. HAMILTON & SON
Plymouth, Mich. USA

It's pretty well covered with rust, but I think I can clean it up somewhat. Bore seems to be partially filled with crud that also probably can be cleaned up.

Stock has no buttlplate, either original or removed; but there are no visible screw holes for a plate.

Action has a small lever just behind the barrel. When moved to the near-vertical position, the barrel tips down for loading. Sights are very crude.

I wish I had a photo to go with this thread, but my digital camera doesn't take good sharp photos. Maybe my son will come over and take a good one so I can show you.

Any help in getting some good information on this rifle and an approximate value would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "What have I found?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jjmorgan64
January 31, 2003, 10:53 AM
Looky here
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=3505886

these are great little rifles.

pinduck
January 31, 2003, 10:54 AM
In the condition you describe of very little value. As I remember these were prizes given away in the 1930s or 40s for selling a dozen cans of Cloverine Salve. A lot of young lads were able to obtain their first .22 rifle in this manner.

cdbeaver
January 31, 2003, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the swift reply, JJ. The photos show the rifle to be exactly like mine, though maybe not in as good condition.

I began to clean the rifle up this morning and quickly learned that the barrel is actually a sleeve fit around a barrel insert. The rifling is pretty well pitted. Don't know whether I want to actually fire it or not.

Not too sure I want to show your reply to my pal, either. I figured around $10-20 would be top price to pay.

KMKeller
January 31, 2003, 02:49 PM
cdbeaver - see this thread at TFL:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=123333

That Model 2/22 caliber is actually supposed to read "Model 27 22 Caliber.

cdbeaver
January 31, 2003, 03:59 PM
KMKeller, that's super information you've dug up on that little old rifle. Upon closer inspection, I can clearly see it's a Model 27 22 caliber.

I'm glad you pointed out that the rifle won't accept Long Rifle cartridges because I was going to take it out tomorrow and give them a try. I'll stick to shorts because I don't think you can find a box of 22 Longs any where in this little burg.

My pal will be delighted to know he may have something of value to a collector. Thanks a bunch.

jar
January 31, 2003, 07:26 PM
Check out This Page Too. (http://home.att.net/~jim.jackie.r/)

NOTE: there was a model 27, a model 027 and a Japanese Model 027.

KMKeller
January 31, 2003, 07:27 PM
cdbeaver - glad I could be of some service.

Kirk

Jim K
February 1, 2003, 12:20 AM
WOW! I sure have to revise - upward - my idea of the value of those little guns.!

They are pretty uncommon today, though, as most went in the trash as soon as the owner grew up and could afford a better rifle.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "What have I found?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!