Brick-on-a-stick:Where are they?

PDA

Apple a Day
August 8, 2012, 10:19 AM
Something I noticed as I picked over the last gun show for bits:
With all of the "tactical" stuff being made I haven't seen the brick-on-a-stick/Ingram/Mac-10/Uzi type pistols around. I realize they aren't that practical, especially for a carry gun but as far as that goes I have two words... "Taurus" and "Judge". The brick-on-a-stick design would give more surface area to add more rails and tactical stuff.
I guess the fads have just moved away from that, eh?
Anyone out there see any examples laying around lately?

If you enjoyed reading about "Brick-on-a-stick:Where are they?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
August 8, 2012, 11:14 AM
Were they ever all that common anyway? They were somewhat popular back a decade (ok, two decades) ago, but as their sub-gun parents have largely fallen out of common use, fewer people have much interest in a semi-auto look-alike.

Skribs
August 8, 2012, 01:13 PM
The Judge is a completely different animal than a semi-automatic pistol, though. I'm not really seeing how a brick-on-a-stick would work for that.

Also look at the Sig ACP, it seems to follow your philosophy.

1KPerDay
August 8, 2012, 01:25 PM
https://www.masterpiecearms.com/index2.php?cat=23

sidheshooter
August 8, 2012, 01:38 PM
Y'know, you're correct; that just goes to show that even the fairly conservative gun community has its fads. Last time I saw a Mac-10 clone, it was on a re-run of "Magnum PI" (or "Miami Vice" they all sort of blur together).

Looking at the link to the "defenders", above, it appears that the time to buy is now. My memory is that the things used to be more expensive. Sort of like an early 80's Ferrari 308. Now, where's that old teal sport coat of mine...?

Your point is taken; had crimson trace or aim point been in common usage at the time, those thing might never have been relegated to late night Netflix fodder, since the main beef people had with the design is that you couldn't hit jack squat with them

sidheshooter
August 8, 2012, 01:48 PM
double tap

tarosean
August 8, 2012, 02:28 PM
I would imagine its because a lot of the surplus has since dried up?. Open bolts were made NFA items in 82ish regardless of semi vs auto. (previous years mftd grandfathered) Then the GCA of 86 then 94 AWB coupled with pressure from the ATF killed the real manufactures /importation of open bolt guns.

I guess it was a good thing there were tons laying around... Since its the cheapest intro to
NFA.

Course the ones that are not NFA command far more than what they used too..

DammitBoy
August 8, 2012, 02:33 PM
Funny, I see them at gunshows and in shops all the time. The price is right if you want one. I just don't want one.

Apple a Day
August 8, 2012, 02:41 PM
Skribs,
The brick to Judge link is the impracticality of both designs. Both are big and clunky and there are other guns that can do their jobs better, more easily, and for less $.

kcshooter
August 8, 2012, 02:52 PM
I still see a tech-9 at the range every now and then.

Of course, I mostly see people trying to clear jams in them, but still...

I also think that a lot of people looking at the "sub-gun" classification would be more likely to move to AR pistol platforms just due to the popularity of AR's these days.

Skribs
August 8, 2012, 03:08 PM
Eh, I think of the Judge as a niche gun. I don't know of another handgun that will put 4-5 holes greater than a third of an inch on target with one pull of the trigger (well, okay maybe a machine pistol, but you get my point). Whether or not you agree that this is "something different" is up to you. Some people say it has no practical use...I think it has a very small niche.

The brick-on-a-stick don't do anything another 9mm can't do.

ETA: KC, the Tec 9 and Skorpion are two pistols I would love to own just for their looks. Unfortunately I do not have the funding or desire to get pistols that aren't tools, so I won't have them. That doesn't mean I don't drool over them.

armoredman
August 8, 2012, 03:15 PM
The Judge has a perfect job - best snake gun out there! 3 .410 birdshot for snake followed by 2 45 Colt for "OH, POOP!" moments...like you missed the snake three times.
The Big Mac Attack was a waste of metal when it was made - I remember them selling for $400, and I think that included the transfer tax stamp. Room brooms.

DeadFlies
August 8, 2012, 04:27 PM
Recently I was offered a Mac-9 with an extra upper, a few spare mags, shoulder stock and a few hundred rounds of ammo for a rusty, old, junk jeep that I can't wait to get rid of.

I passed.

wally
August 8, 2012, 10:54 PM
Last time I saw a Mac-10 clone, it was on a re-run of "Magnum PI"

The MPA variations are pretty common at gun shows around here. The ones with the side charging handle and a rail on top actually work very well if you add a red dot -- accuracy is really hindered by the poor iron sights they come with.

MachIVshooter
August 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
Then the GCA of 86

The 1986 Volkener-McClure act was not gun control legislation; It is the Firearm Owners Protection Act. It was good legislation, it's just that they snuck the Hughes amendment in there and closed the registry.

C0untZer0
August 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
I have a Tec-9M

You have to follow the ammo recomendations for it or you're asking for trouble. I'm betting a lot of people who own them now have no idea what the recomended case thickness for 9mm ammo in these things is.

And yes they jam. Not so bad with FMJ but even for a zombie gun, it would be my zombie gun of last resort.

Masterpiece Arms as has been mentioned makes the MAC-10 clone and they even have a carbine version tricked out with picatinny rail and tactical stuff, but I'd rather just have a Marlin Camp Carbine or a Ruger PC9.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brick-on-a-stick:Where are they?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!