Kel Tec P11 Shooting Low. No wait, its me...

PDA

marb4
August 8, 2012, 11:25 AM
I bought my first Kel Tec (P11) a few days ago and had the chance to take it to the range yesterday and today. During my first outing, the pistol was shooting about 6 inches low at only 7 yards. I'm a fairly experienced pistol shooter (including DA revolvers) so the problem couldn't be me. Must be something with the pistol. So I thought… Today I dumped all my ammo in a container and mixed in a bunch of snap caps. I loaded my mag without looking so I would never know if the gun was going to go click or bang. This was of course to prove that it wasn't my shooting that was the problem. Sure enough, when I got my first "click" I must have flinched that barrel down a good 3/4 inch at the muzzle! Yes I was quite embarrassed and humbled. Continuing with this drill I was able to get well acquainted with the trigger and began grouping 2-3 inches at 7 yards pretty much point of aim. Just remember, "operator error" causes the vast majority of accuracy issues. Try the mixed snap cap drill. It can really improve you shooting (and bring you back down to earth too).

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel Tec P11 Shooting Low. No wait, its me..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MachIVshooter
August 8, 2012, 12:23 PM
Glad you got it worked out. The P-11's trigger is pretty gnarly, no doubt about it, but Kel-Tec guns really are capable of surprising accuracy once you master them.

chris in va
August 8, 2012, 06:21 PM
There's a way to lighten the trigger pull on the p11, just do a search. Did it on mine, pretty easy.

Mike J
August 8, 2012, 08:20 PM
I believe any of us who own or have owned a P11 can understand that happening.

JDGray
August 8, 2012, 08:33 PM
My P11 did shoot that bad, and it was the gun! I benched it on a sand bag, to verify. The sight kit cut the error quite a bit, but not perfect. Was very reliable, but didnt like having to aim high to hit where I wanted.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel Tec P11 Shooting Low. No wait, its me..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!