Bad M45 Colt Rail Gun results WOW

PDA

cyclopsshooter
August 9, 2012, 10:46 PM
Serious Colt fanboy here crying in his beer... Anyone have an idea why these failures are so bad? http://www.guns.com/marines-colt-rail-gun-failures-damage-cracked-frames-slides-spring-plugs-10420.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Bad M45 Colt Rail Gun results WOW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CmdrSlander
August 9, 2012, 11:21 PM
Let me get this straight.

The MEU(SOC) .45, which was built on frames forged during the lean days of WWII, frames that have over 300,000 rounds through them, has a superb service record; but with the new M45, Colt has somehow managed to screw the platform up?

benzy2
August 9, 2012, 11:32 PM
The testing does make a big difference though. Without knowing what the pistol was put through it's hard to know why it failed and if it's a realistic problem or not. If this was strictly from firing 12,000 rounds it would be/is alarming. If the test conducted were true torture tests using the pistol as more than a pistol (say as a club or hammer) it may be much more acceptable. Maybe they dropped them out of a sky scraper? Maybe they shot double charged ammo? Again, unless we have a spec list of what the pistol was put through (which maybe we do and I missed it) I wouldn't take much concern over a couple pictures online.

Skylerbone
August 9, 2012, 11:42 PM
Brent, manager of the Colt Custom Shop has assured everyone the Colts that were sent for evaluation faired very well, including parts interchangeability. I cannot comment on those pics in the link but I don't believe Brent would have let those things out the door. There were several changes in design requested by MEUSOC including a re-designed recoil system so these aren't our granddad's Colts.

That slide as you can see has what appear to be casting flaws under its Ceracoat finish. Ask yourself how many cast slides Colt has made in its history. Also, the recoil spring cap pictured isn't Ceracoated at all...Photoshop anyone???

Also of note was Brent's assurance that cost per unit was significantly less that the quoted $1875 ea. Rest easy cyclops, rest easy.

vossman
August 9, 2012, 11:43 PM
Hmmm. Gotta wonder how bad the other brand guns did for them to think this was the best of bunch.

NG VI
August 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
I think those pictures have come up in other places, and were found to be false, or at least not the same Colt guns they are being represented as.

Auto426
August 10, 2012, 12:23 AM
Not this crap again :banghead:

As far as I can tell these photos originated from a poster over on Arfcom who claims to be a project manager at the Pentagon. He posted these photos, talked of the guns failing the tests, and then went on to admit he wasn't part of the testing. Since then the photos have spread like wildfire without any giving any serious consideration to their authenticity or even questioning exactly what took place during the testing.

The simple fact of the matter is that there was a contract put out there, several companies answered it, extensive testing was done on the guns submitted and the best was chosen. For all we know the gun in those photos could have been fired 12,000 rounds of +p or +p+ ammo without any recoil spring changes or just simply beaten with a hammer until they cracked. Destructive testing is common place when testing weapons for military adoption, so seeing pictures of a broken gun shouldn't be so surprising.

cyclopsshooter
August 10, 2012, 02:38 AM
Ask yourself how many cast slides Colt has made in its history. Also, the recoil spring cap pictured isn't Ceracoated at all...Photoshop anyone???

I wondered this too- for the life of me I sure don't remember my Rail Gun having that relief cut on the dust shield above the rail. Ill have to dig it out- And as far as I know Colt has never cast a slide or frame on a Government or Commander.

Skylerbone
August 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
as far as I know Colt has never cast a slide or frame on a Government or Commander.

O 64. Bingo!!! I don't know Brent personally but have corresponded with him from time to time (extremely helpful and knowledgeable) and I can't believe he would head up a project that turned those things out. Only way those are authentic is if they were corrosion testing with an intentionally damaged finish followed by reapplication of Ceracoat. I've yet to hear any confirmation on authenticity of the photos and I believe someone at the Pentagon releasing documentation would be subject to a one way trip to a small cage.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bad M45 Colt Rail Gun results WOW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!