Wolff Springs

PDA

MoreIsLess
August 10, 2012, 01:48 PM
I recently order a 14# recoil spring from Wolff for my Springfield Range Officer. They do not have springs specific to each manufacturer, they are only listed as being for a Colt Government 1911. I assume this will work OK in Springfield 1911. I noticed when I removed the stock spring that came with my RO from the factory that the one I purchased from Wolff was about 1/4 inch longer than the factory one. Will this cause a problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolff Springs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
2wheels
August 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
I'd bet it should be fine, it is a brand new spring so it's not unusual that it's longer.

morcey2
August 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
I replaced the factory spring in my CZ-82 w/ a wolff 16 lb spring and it was a good 1/2" longer than the factory one. Made a huge difference in recoil also. Tamed it nicely.

Walt Sherrill
August 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
New recoil springs will ALWAYS be longer than ones that have been used in the gun. The new spring (in a CZ-82 or -83), once used, will shorten some -- maybe as much as 1/2". (Coil springs take a "set" with use; this is normal, expected, and anticipated by the spring makers and gun designers.)

gotboostvr
August 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
I went the opposite direction and dropped a 17# spring in my competition gun. After comparing it to my old spring, I was surprised the gun ran in the first place, it was about 1"+ longer than the old spring. Feels like a brand new gun though.

Drail
August 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
The new spring isn't too long, the old one is too short.

Patrick Gookin
August 10, 2012, 09:30 PM
My brother in law has a Springfield 1911 and the spring that came from the factory felt like a 14# spring. A 16# lb spring is supposedly ideal, but 14# works just fine. I use a 14# spring. If the pistol won't reliably strip new rounds from the magazine, drop a heavier spring in.

1911Tuner
August 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
My brother in law has a Springfield 1911 and the spring that came from the factory felt like a 14# spring.

It is a 14-pound spring. If you test the spring on a new Colt Government model, you'll probably find that it's also about 14 pounds.

If the pistol won't reliably strip new rounds from the magazine, drop a heavier spring in.

If the pistol won't strip a round and go to battery reliably with a 14 pound spring, it's time to find out why.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolff Springs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!