Springfield 1911 RO Front Sight Options?

PDA

dakotajones
August 10, 2012, 01:26 PM
i just bought the SA range officer 1911. I'm looking for front sight options instead of the solid black. i just want some contrast from the rear sights, but most of what i've found requires gunsmithing the fit or installing a bead. Is there a direct replacement without any mods? Is it really the same dimensions as the Novak? Any help would be great. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 1911 RO Front Sight Options?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
Solid black are the most accurate match sights made.

You shouldn't be focusing on the rear sight.

Focus on the front sight and your eye will take care of centering the slightly out of focus rear sight.

That's how world champion pistol shooters got that way.

rc

Jim Watson
August 10, 2012, 01:39 PM
Well, it's not an RO but my SA Loaded Target has a .330" front dovetail and accepted a Novak spec Brazos Lightning Rod fibre optic sight with no fuss.

You can experiment with colors cheaply by painting the front blade.
I have several guns with Model Master Fluorescent Red front sights and feel no need to replace them with FO or bead.

RC is right... sort of.
Bullseye shooters with plenty of time to line up on a clearly defined target do prefer black on black, even smoking their sights to eliminate any possiblity of glare.
But most (not all) action shooters like some color and the fibre optic front is very popular for those of us shooting fast.

dakotajones
August 10, 2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess i just like a little color. I primarily focus on the front sight. I've just always had something there, white dot, meprolight green, etc...

I may experiment with the fluorescent paint before i go modifying my nice, new gun.

railroader
August 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
Look here for fiber optic. http://www.dawsonprecision.com/

Captain33036
August 11, 2012, 10:51 AM
Good link to Dawson Precision. They have the best fitted Springfield 1911 sights, so I am told.

I have the Springer RO, which I am very happy with. Recently bought a Dawson precision tritium front sight and like that a lot.

I got the 0.160 height one, since I had to raise the rear sight quite a bit to shoot. This worked out very well.

Your results may vary, I believe 0.180 is the stock size.

Hope this helps

Best

J

CraigC
August 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't ruin my wonderful target-sighted RO with a flashy front sight.

wow6599
August 12, 2012, 12:20 PM
A had a gold bead front on my RO. It looked - and worked - great.
YMMV

dakotajones
August 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
how difficult is it to remove the stock front sight on the RO? Do i need a tiny allen wrench for the front "stake"? I apparently don't have one small enough to fit, so...

i'm a newb when it comes to front sights on a 1911. =) or 1911's in general.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 1911 RO Front Sight Options?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!