Good deal on my Yugo SKS?

PDA

ColdDayInHell
August 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
Hello everyone, I am in need for some reassurement and help on an SKS price.

I just bought a Yugo 1976 M59/66 SKS with grenade launcher, matching serials, original stock, and bayonet. What is a good price for one in excellent condition?

I am picking it up and doing the paperwork Sunday.

Here is a picture-

http://i49.tinypic.com/152dyjq.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Good deal on my Yugo SKS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
meanmrmustard
August 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
$300ish. Passed on a nice Norinco for $200, but id go $300-325 for a nice specimen.

Steel Horse Rider
August 10, 2012, 09:50 PM
I gave $200 apiece for two of them about 6 years ago, they are a good weapon to shoot and require little maintenance. I have seen them for as nuch as $500 but I wouldn't pay that much, $350 would prolly be my tops now. They are not going to become collectors items so the matching S/N's is not a big thing, but the bolt and firing pin can be. I have sent all three of my bolts to Texas for a spring conversion on the firing pin, (I have a Chinese SKS also) if this one has had the conversion then it is worth a little more. The wood looks nice but the condition of the rest cannot really be determined from the photo. If you think the price (whatever it is) makes you a happy SKS owner then by all means buy it!

ColdDayInHell
August 10, 2012, 09:59 PM
I am paying him $250 cash for the SKS, 100 rounds of ammo, accessories, and a Flambeau case. He was asking $350 but I managed to get it cheaper, so I guess I got a good deal. Success for me and the THR community!

THR keeps resizing my pictures, if you need pictures with a better resolution just PM me.

ColdDayInHell
August 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/11v64no.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/o1t9y.jpg

Steel Horse Rider
August 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
At $250 I think you did very well as an investment and as a good weapon.

ColdDayInHell
August 10, 2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks Horse! I'll update the post on Sunday :). Do you have an SKS?

OARNGESI
August 11, 2012, 12:00 AM
you got a good deal here you can get 300-350 for just the gun

ColdDayInHell
August 11, 2012, 12:36 AM
you got a good deal here you can get 300-350 for just the gun
Here? As in THR classifieds or your area gun shops?

Steel Horse Rider
August 11, 2012, 12:56 AM
As I said in an earlier post I have three, two Yugo's and a Chinese.

ColdDayInHell
August 11, 2012, 01:07 AM
As I said in an earlier post I have three, two Yugo's and a Chinese.
I misread it, sorry. Which one is your favorite? I am excited haha.

rcmodel
August 11, 2012, 01:09 AM
I passed on an unfired Russian for $250 about a month ago.

Been there, done that, years ago.

rc

OARNGESI
August 11, 2012, 01:58 AM
i meant a local sale

Snowdog
August 11, 2012, 07:36 AM
Nice stock. I'm looking at one locally now for $200 and though the metal looks the same as that, the wood is a little banged up (in comparison to that pristine specimen). The one I'm looking at is also coming with 100-120 rounds of cheap commercial FMJ, but nothing else.

I think that's a good deal from the (very) little I know about the M59/66.

bigfatdave
August 11, 2012, 07:52 AM
That's a pretty good deal based on what I paid a few years ago and current show/ad prices.

That thing is a Tech Sight and a sling away from being about perfect, it is in very good condition.

JHenry
August 11, 2012, 07:54 AM
350 sounds fair for that since it looks to be in pretty good condition.

ColdDayInHell
August 11, 2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks guys, I can't wait to shoot it. I won't be sleeping much tonight, like a kid on Christmas! I am young (23) so I have not had a chance to buy an SKS years ago as most of you guys have had. I bet these were real cheap in the 90's.

mberoose
August 11, 2012, 10:03 PM
I passed on an unfired Russian for $250 about a month ago.

Been there, done that, years ago.

rc

Jeez, I couldn't have passed that up...even if not to keep it, to re-sell it.

ColdDayInHell
August 11, 2012, 10:23 PM
Jeez, I couldn't have passed that up...even if not to keep it, to re-sell it.
I have yet to come across a Russian SKS. They seem like real interesting firearms and I have always loved the look of the SKS. The bayonet, muzzle, stock, etc caught my eye. I went with this Yugo just because it was a good price and extremely clean. Thanks for the replies.

mberoose
August 11, 2012, 10:33 PM
I have yet to come across a Russian SKS. They seem like real interesting firearms and I have always loved the look of the SKS. The bayonet, muzzle, stock, etc caught my eye. I went with this Yugo just because it was a good price and extremely clean. Thanks for the replies.

I've found in my experience that Yugos are sometimes the most accurate of all SKSs...might be due to the lack of a chrome lined bore, might just be the examples I've shot, but my current M59 Yugo (and even my friend's old 59/66) has been kinder to me in terms of accuracy than my 1956 Russian was...or my buddy's 54 Russian too.

My Yugo
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss293/Blackballed84/yug1.jpg
My old Russian
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss293/Blackballed84/rus1.jpg

You got a great price, enjoy!

ColdDayInHell
August 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
That Yugo,

http://www.valvetime.net/attachments/drooling-homer-simpson1-jpg.23565/

Steel Horse Rider
August 11, 2012, 11:23 PM
I prefer the Yugo's over the Chinese, but I don't care much for Chinese anything. A guy I know had the Chinese and it was fully dressed with a replacement stock, removeable magazine, cheap scope, a plastic hardcase, and a bipod but it also had all the original woodwork and hardware with it. I paid $175 for the whole mess and sold off the Rambo stuff for more than I paid for the gun and have a nice clean chicom wood stocked SKS with an improved bolt. I have yet to sell a rifle but if I did this would be the first to go.

ColdDayInHell
August 11, 2012, 11:31 PM
I prefer the Yugo's over the Chinese, but I don't care much for Chinese anything. A guy I know had the Chinese and it was fully dressed with a replacement stock, removeable magazine, cheap scope, a plastic hardcase, and a bipod but it also had all the original woodwork and hardware with it. I paid $175 for the whole mess and sold off the Rambo stuff for more than I paid for the gun and have a nice clean chicom wood stocked SKS with an improved bolt. I have yet to sell a rifle but if I did this would be the first to go.
I do too. The Norinco is supposedly a really nice SKS but I still wanted the Yugo. It sounds like you have a nice one, I am glad you got rid of the plastic crap. Tacticool stuff is garbage IMHO and is only for mall ninjas.

Sky
August 12, 2012, 01:07 AM
Going price around here for any SKS is 300 to 350. I would say you got a good deal. I really like the SKS and I bet you will too if the stock fits you.

jim243
August 12, 2012, 01:14 AM
My best friend has the Chinese model and I have the Yugo, in my opinion the Yugo is the better of the two C&R rifles.

Just my opinion.
Jim

ColdDay, nice very nice rifle.

ColdDayInHell
August 12, 2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks! I will post more pictures myself tomorrow afternoon. These pictures are from the seller. I can't wait to shoot it tomorrow at the range. You will all see an update with pictures and my opinion on the SKS. Thanks again THR.

Roadking Rider
August 12, 2012, 02:42 AM
You'd never get that Yugo for that price in my area.

Wildcat_Charlie
August 12, 2012, 03:12 AM
I paid $250 for a Yugo still packed in cosmoline last year. That was a really good deal I got though. I don't know how used yours is or what kind of shape the trigger is in or how crudded up the gas tube is or anything like that. It seems to be ok from the photos but it's hard to tell without looking at the rifle. Most likely you're getting a fine deal if this is someone you know that's selling it.

ColdDayInHell
August 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ic5yz5.jpg

Here is the newest member of my family!

mberoose
August 12, 2012, 06:47 PM
Looks unissued, very nice.

ColdDayInHell
August 12, 2012, 08:32 PM
Looks unissued, very nice.
Thanks! I don't think it was issued, it looks almost mint. I will refinish the stock though and would need advice on doing that. Thanks everyone.

303 hunter
August 12, 2012, 09:51 PM
In 1990,I bought my first SKS at Roses for $69. I wish I had bought a few more!

mberoose
August 12, 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks! I don't think it was issued, it looks almost mint. I will refinish the stock though and would need advice on doing that. Thanks everyone.

I personally wouldn't do that (looks great as is), but if you absolutely insist on it, just strip the gun down, lightly sand the stock down to bare wood, get a nice clean surface and apply linseed oil. Apply a coat per day until you get your desired color. My buddy refinished his 59/66 and it came out nice. It IS, however, a lighter tone, so if you're looking for something darker you'll probably have to look elsewhere.

ColdDayInHell
August 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
I personally wouldn't do that (looks great as is), but if you absolutely insist on it, just strip the gun down, lightly sand the stock down to bare wood, get a nice clean surface and apply linseed oil. Apply a coat per day until you get your desired color. My buddy refinished his 59/66 and it came out nice. It IS, however, a lighter tone, so if you're looking for something darker you'll probably have to look elsewhere.
Why do you say that? It really needs a coat of something whether it is varnish or a satin polyurethane. I love the lighter tones so I still might do it. I think the cosmo is still embedded in the grain though, I need to let it soak in the sun!

Snowdog
August 13, 2012, 09:32 AM
In 1990,I bought my first SKS at Roses for $69. I wish I had bought a few more!

My first firearm was a prestine/new-in-box Norinco SKS from Roses for $89 in '93. I, too, wish I had purchased several.

ColdDayInHell, that photo of your sks is exactly what I'm hoping my M59/66 will look like
after much elbow grease.

Davek1977
August 13, 2012, 10:02 AM
In 1990,I bought my first SKS at Roses for $69. I wish I had bought a few more! ad just two years later, I thought I got a steal @ $110 for an unissued chinese ;) And I too wish I had bought the entire crate and not just my choice from it!!! I touyed with the idea of adding a Yugo back when they were cheaper, but the goofy grenade launcher attachment just killed the looks of the rifle for me to the point I couldn't bring myself to do it

steveo452
August 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
My first firearm was a prestine/new-in-box Norinco SKS from Roses for $89 in '93. I, too, wish I had purchased several.

ColdDayInHell, that photo of your sks is exactly what I'm hoping my M59/66 will look like
after much elbow grease.
Small world, I to bought 3 Norenco's at the Roses in Franklin, Tn. back in 88 gave one to my daddy one to my uncle and keep one for my self. $89.00 each. I still shoot mine about ever week.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/fritzy1911/DSCN0065-1.jpg

ColdDayInHell
August 13, 2012, 10:36 PM
I LOVE my SKS so far. I never had that much fun at the range. I even liked it better than my M&P 15. I am really starting to appreciate these rifles. They are so historical and interesting. It could be the nerd in me coming out, who knows...

leadcounsel
August 14, 2012, 12:43 AM
Love the SKS. The Yugo is great, but don't care for the grenade launcher attachment.

In todays market, a Nice Yugo is $300-350. Yours is a steal with the accessories and ammo for $250!

If you enjoyed reading about "Good deal on my Yugo SKS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!