Ruger MkII 50th anniversary

PDA

Fonzie2k
August 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
I was in the LGS today looking for a .22 pistol. I've had my eye on the polymer framed 22/45s that are selling at some of the larger stores for around $250 but I decided to give the LGS in the area a chance.

Nobody really had any comparable prices but one place did have a Ruger MkII that was marked with Ruger's 50th anniversary. It was in great shape and I loved everything about it. My only hangup was the price, he wanted $375 for it and I was only looking to spend about $250 before taxes.

This Ruger was nice enough that It's probably going to keep me awake tonight but $375 seems a little pricey. Does this seem like a good deal to jump on or is he asking to much?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger MkII 50th anniversary" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
md2lgyk
August 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
Depends. If you're looking for a shooter (and for just $250 you probably are) then you don't want to spend extra money for what some would consider a collectible. You don't say if the MkII is new (or stainless) but if it's either, $375 might not be an awful price.

That said, I wouldn't buy it myself. I've shot MkIIs in bullseye competition for many years. But they end up highly modified, so I always start with a basic version.

TreeDoc
August 11, 2012, 04:00 PM
life is short, you work hard, $125 difference to get what you really want? Get it. You'll spend more than that on soft drinks in a year.

Drail
August 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
It would be well worth that price to a lot of collectors. But a basic MK II is all you need and they can be had for less than that.

Blackhawk30
August 12, 2012, 08:30 AM
A new MK3 is in the $250 to $280 range.So $375 for a 50th anniversary model is not too out of line.See if he will come down on the price.Offer him $300 and see what he says.

Pilot
August 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
I have a Ruger MK II 50th Anniversary that I've kept unfired, NIB since I bought it when Ruger released them in 1999. They made a lot of them so I really don't consider it that collectable. You can find them mint or NIB on internet auction sites for under $300 usually. $350 is a bit steep, but things are getting more expensive these days, and the trend will likely continue.

PO2Hammer
August 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
That's a bit one the steep side, but like Pilot said, prices for Mark IIs are going nowhere but up. On Gunbroker they sell from $300 to $450. I have the similar NRA/WBR Commemorative model and absolutely love it. I paid $299 NIB in 2003, but mine is easily worth $375 to me.

bannockburn
August 12, 2012, 12:09 PM
If it's just an everyday kind of. 22 plinker you're looking for on your budget, I would say the Ruger Anniversary model is overpriced for what you want it for.

Fonzie2k
August 12, 2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'm picking up a 22/45 tomorrow since $250 is a hard price to argue with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger MkII 50th anniversary" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!