RUGER SR22 REVIEW - Love and .22LR - HD VIDEO

PDA

PTMCCAIN
August 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
Is it possible to fall head over heels in love on your first date? Well, I think it is and I surely have fallen in love with my Ruger SR22 after putting several hundred rounds through it in the past few days.

Have any of you purchased the Ruger SR22? How are you liking it? Ammo issues? Favorite ammo?

I think the Ruger SR22 is an amazingly good little shooter.

Here's the video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjFeiEWH-hU)

If you enjoyed reading about "RUGER SR22 REVIEW - Love and .22LR - HD VIDEO" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTMCCAIN
August 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
Should point out that the slide did not lock back after the last round shot. I'm trying to determine if this is due to how I was holding it, perhaps applying pressure to the slide lock button or not. Will report back.

newbuckeye
August 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
I have one and love it! I let my son in law and daughter shoot it, now they have one. It eats everything except federal cheapo bulk stuff until it is almost unrecognizably dirty. Cheap to shoot and FUN!

PTMCCAIN
August 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks, I think it is a pistol anyone/everyone would enjoy, very much.

So far, I've only shot CCI through it. I'm thinking I would have problems with the cheapo bulk stuff, heck, I have problems with that junk with my Ruger 10/22 as it is.

MedWheeler
August 12, 2012, 12:13 AM
^ Yeah, neither my 10/22 nor my Mk-II like that stuff. My non-Ruger doesn't, either (it's a Taurus PT-22.)

PTMCCAIN
August 12, 2012, 10:51 AM
Good to know, thanks.

MedWheeler
August 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
I have been wanting a SR-22, though. Been waiting for the prices to come down.. saw them going for $350 at the gun shows, but didn't spring then. Probably should have. Now, in the shops, they're running closer to $430 or so.

PTMCCAIN
August 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
If you can't find a LGS that gives you a way better price than $450, I'd just buy from Bud's Gun Shop. My local fun shop gave me mind for $280, plus tax, of course. Better than Bud's cash price when I figure in the FFL transfer fee. Bud's has them for $339, cash price. Link here. (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1153/products_id/79533) And that is with free shipping.

MedWheeler
August 12, 2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the tip. Not sure I can justify buying another gun right now, but, maybe if I sell or trade one... hmm.. just musing here; I hate to get rid of any I currently have...

berettaprofessor
August 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
Oh MedWheeler you need to jump. My problem was not cost, it was finding one available. Best grip feel ever and as far as ammo goes, mine likes Federal Champion, CCI mini-mags, Remington subsonic, Winchester subsonic (really liked this one for accuracy). Haven't found anything that it won't run well (however I never shoot Remington's bulk-packs).

Bush Pilot
August 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
I've had one for several months and it's a kick in the butt to shoot. I haven't found any ammo that it won't cycle. FWIW, my LGS has them on the shelf every time I drop by and leave money for something I don't really need.

RockyTop
August 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
I have been wanting a SR-22, though. Been waiting for the prices to come down.. saw them going for $350 at the gun shows, but didn't spring then. Probably should have. Now, in the shops, they're running closer to $430 or so.
I thought my LGS were bad. They tend to always be at least $25-$40 higher than what I can find at the gun show. A week ago I priced the SR22 at the LGS and it was listed at $349. After hearing others talk about getting it for under $300 I passed on it planning on waiting til the next gun show. But maybe $349 isn't so bad afterall.

MCgunner
August 13, 2012, 09:58 PM
Have any of you purchased the Ruger SR22? How are you liking it? Ammo issues? Favorite ammo?

I've got about 2K through mine. Haven't been shooting lately as they're renovating the club's range. Been shooting it when I can, though. Bought it several months back at a gun show. It's 2" at 25 yards accurate with Federal bulk, about the best shooting ammo, though I got a 1.5" group with it using some old RWS Target I found in my stash. That stuff's expensive, not exactly good plinker ammo do to price. The Federal is fine for that.

The gun has been jam free with only one or two misfires with the Federal which is less well primed than some. I get misfires occasionally with my other guns as well except for my Rossi revolver which has a round firing pin that makes a bigger dent. Anyway, no gripes from me on the gun, fantastic little field carry when I'm fishing and range plinker. I paid 325 for mine at a gun show.

MedWheeler
August 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
As a follow-up to my other post in which I say I see them going for closer to $430; well, I was in the shop again yesterday and saw one listed for $475. :what:

Granted, they might come down from that a little but, with a gun show scheduled here in town next weekend, I still don't think they can cut a deal (unless they bring it to the show and price it accordingly!)

MedWheeler
August 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
.. double-tap..

meanmrmustard
August 13, 2012, 11:47 PM
Dang. I got mine new three months back for $325 after tax. Didn't notice a jump lately. That sucks.:(

Inazone
August 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
I bought mine at a show the first or second week they were available, and got it for right around $300. It absolutely refuses to feed Remington Thunderbolt reliably and doesn't do well with Federal Champion or Winchester Wildcat either, but I've had no problems with Federal Spitfire, Remington Subsonic, WWB and any CCI I've tried. I love the gun overall, and if the SR9 had the same or similar grips, I probably would've bought one of those.

rvanpelt
August 15, 2012, 12:07 AM
My wife and I love ours. Have shot the bulk Federals and Winchesters with no problems, which makes it fun and economical to shoot. It's really accurate for the short barrel. I got ours last April for $369 at Cabelas. They were hard to find then and maybe harder now. Yo'll love this little gun!:)
Rod van Pelt

RockyTop
August 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
I posted a few days ago that my LGS has the SR22 for $349. Well I went to the gun show today and bought it for $299. This was from the vendor who routinely has the lowest prices at the show. But after I bought it I actually saw another vendor have it for $289... I could've saved $10 but still very satisfied with the purchase. This is why I have bought the majority of my guns at the shows, my LGS are almost always $40-$60 higher on handguns.

PTMCCAIN
August 19, 2012, 12:02 AM
Definitely would not worry about $10, congrats.

dullone
August 19, 2012, 10:10 AM
I just bought one online for $299.99 with free shipping & no taxes. My receiving FFL only charges $10.00 for the transfer. I can't wait to get it and check it out :scrutiny:!

PTMCCAIN
August 19, 2012, 10:28 AM
Bud's?

dullone
August 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Bud's ? Nope. I PM'd you the source

Shawn Dodson
August 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
Paul:

Another great video! You keep it informative and entertaining.

PTMCCAIN
August 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
Actually, our buddy got his SR22 from the good folks at Kentucky Gun Company, $299, free shipping, and of course, no tax if you are not in KY.

http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/id/57389/name/ruger-sr22-pistol-22lr-black-3.5

PTMCCAIN
August 19, 2012, 05:02 PM
"Paul:

Another great video! You keep it informative and entertaining."

Why, thanks, Shawn, I sure enjoy making them. Allows me to combine my two favorite hobbies: shooting and photography.

RockyTop
August 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
Definitely would not worry about $10, congrats.

Thanks...And I'm definitely not sweating the $10. Just wanted to throw it out there that I saw these going for as low as $289. This is why I almost exclusively buy by guns from the shows or private party.

I'd love to be able to support the LGS here but they are consistently at least $40-$60+ higher on about every firearm they sell. I also got turned off by several of the LGS here a few years ago when there was a run on ammo. Walmart and Dick's Sporting were constantly being sold out and when I went around to the LGS they were doubling and in some cases tripling the price of ammo. After that I started just looking at guns there and then waited to buy when the shows came around.

PTMCCAIN
August 20, 2012, 12:10 PM
I am very fortunate to have a local gun store, Dunn's Sporting Goods, that offers firearms at prices that are as competitive as anything I can find on line. I got my SR22 for $289, and the tax I paid on it was less than I would have paid a local FFL for a transfer.

RockyTop
August 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
You are very lucky, PT. I'd love to prices like that here, but at least the gunshow comes around every couple of months here.

If you enjoyed reading about "RUGER SR22 REVIEW - Love and .22LR - HD VIDEO" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!