Will you use steel ammo in your $1K+ 1911?

PDA

Oldnoob
August 11, 2012, 07:11 PM
As title said. Will you use ammo like Tula, wolf etc in your $1K+ 1911?

If you enjoyed reading about "Will you use steel ammo in your $1K+ 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walking Dead
August 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
If you may that much for a 1911 it better be able to without any worries.

Sheepdog1968
August 11, 2012, 11:58 PM
I don't use it in anything I own. I'm guessing firearms are engineered and designed with brass casings in mind (AKs might be an exception). So I use brass casings in my firearms.

Auto426
August 12, 2012, 12:04 AM
Steel cased .45 isn't all that common in my area, and when you do find it there isn't a significant price savings over the lower end brass cased .45 ammo. My most expensive 1911 is my aluminum framed Colt CCO, and I probably wouldn't want to run it through that gun because of the aluminum feed ramp, but I would run it through my 1911's with steel frames. I'm not however going to purposely seek out steel cased ammo to run through my guns when I can readily get decent quality brass cased ammo for just a little bit more.

Flashcube
August 12, 2012, 12:12 AM
My Dan Wesson likes Tula and Wolf. Shoots pretty well with the Tula too.

NWcityguy2
August 12, 2012, 12:12 AM
If I didn't reload I'd shoot steel cased ammo in my DW.

mountainman95
August 12, 2012, 12:24 AM
I don't use steel cased ammo in anything I own.

CraigC
August 12, 2012, 12:36 AM
Negative. I can't see paying that much for a good pistol and then feeding it the cheapest crap that goes bang.

NWcityguy2
August 12, 2012, 12:55 AM
I can't see paying that much for a good pistol and then feeding it the cheapest crap that goes bang.

So if non-brass cased ammo didn't exist would you no longer buy the cheapest brass cased ammo based on in now being the cheapest?

marksg
August 12, 2012, 01:06 AM
I agree with mtnman,I don't shoot steel case in anything.

Plus i reload so I want the brass anyway.:D

PONTIACDM
August 12, 2012, 02:52 AM
I've shot thousands of steel cased rounds over the years. I've used it in all kinds of firearms without an issue. Every great once in awhile, I'll get a failure to fire. I'll keep shooting it until I personally have a bad experience with it.

DC Plumber
August 12, 2012, 08:29 AM
I don't have a $1K 1911, but if I did, I would unless there was an objective study done to prove that no harm will come from using it. I've used them in my Kimber and will in my Sig if I get a deal on them. I reload now, so it isn't too big of an issue at this point.

grendelbane
August 12, 2012, 08:47 AM
Looking at my 1911 collection, I don't see one that costs over $1K.

Partially, this is a result of inflation.

If steel cased ammo is hard on anything, its the extractor, and I haven't had to replace an extractor yet.

So, its not a problem. If I paid over $1K, I would expect it to survive shooting anything on the market. It should be at least as durable as an RIA.:neener:

CraigC
August 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
So if non-brass cased ammo didn't exist would you no longer buy the cheapest brass cased ammo based on in now being the cheapest?
I'll buy quality ammo, no matter what the cases are made of. In other words, I'm not feeding my guns cheap com-block garbage no matter what they make the cases from. :rolleyes:

NWcityguy2
August 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
So would you shoot Hornady Steel Match?

highpower
August 12, 2012, 12:24 PM
During WW2 The US government produced millions of rounds of steel cased .45 ammo for use in M1911 and M1917 handguns. I believe it was used in the Thompson SMG also.

Forty years or so ago, I had acquired a couple of thousand rounds of it and shot most of it up in my US property 1911-A1. It shot fine and didn't seem to hurt it any.

RickMD
August 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
I'd shoot steel only if there was absolutely nothing else available. The savings involved in shooting cheap steel crap isn't worth it. I wouldn't even shoot it in my beat up GI RIA.

CraigC
August 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Are you offended that I choose not to use steel cased ammo and now just want to create an argument?

NWcityguy2
August 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
Don't be so thin skinned. This is a discussion forum, people come here to discuss things. If your preference has nothing to do with what the case is made of, would you shoot match grade steel cased ammo?

conhntr
August 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
Depends on the pricing. Right now im getting good deals on aguila brass For 33c per round. The best i can find steel is 29c which isnt much of a savings. If it opens to mor elike 10c per round i could shoot 1000 rounds of steel for the price of 700 brass?? I probably wiuld go for steel. My ar cost over 1000 and i shoot steel in it becuase it is 15c cheaper!

wow6599
August 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/wow6599/Please-Don-t-Feed-the-Troll-atsof-573296_300_336.jpg

Detritus
August 12, 2012, 01:20 PM
The 1911s in my safe together cost just barely over $1K, but i'd feed a High end gun the same as have the two phillipine made "donor slide and frame sets" I have now. Meaning I would try different types of factory ammo in each gun and find out what it would and would not "eat". both of my current 1911s will naturally happily digest any 230gr FMJ loads I feed them regardless of case material, as others have said in a properly built 1911 the only part truly at risk with steel case ammo is the extractor and really that's only if something else is out of whack. the only steel cased ammo either gun (both in point of fact) had trouble with was the Hornady steel match, the HAP hollow point is a little too open for them to feed reliably.

h0use
August 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
I'll shoot steel ammo in any of my guns. My kimber has no problems with steel.

ApacheCoTodd
August 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
No for me but for what it's worth, I have a bunch of U.S. steel cased Ball from 43-44 time frame back when we were also making steel pennies to conserve brass/copper-whatever for other uses.

I'd be curious to know what real combat vets from WWII thought of it at the time.

maroast
August 12, 2012, 01:34 PM
I shoot steel ammo out of my DW all of the time... I really don't see the problem with it at all. What gripe do people have with shooting steel ammo? Is it harder on the gun? Not as accurate? Iím interested to know....even though it wont change my practice at all. I donít put premium gas in my car eitherÖ it runs fine on 87oct.

savanahsdad
August 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
brass case with boxer primers , I reload, so even if it costs a bit more you have to look at what the brass is worth ,
reading the other posts here I get the feeling that some think steel being harder than brass it would wear on your 1911 (chamber,ramp,extractor,mag lips) well... stell cases are soft steel ,way softer than any part on your 1911 that it will contact with, dirt or grit will wear things out way faster,
so if I got some steel, dirt cheep or free , yes I'd shoot it in my 1911 (S&W 1911, stanless, MSP $1,129 )

wally
August 12, 2012, 02:48 PM
Ain't much of a gun if steel cased ammo breaks it! I don't care how much you paid for it.

If a gun don't work with steel cased ammo I get it fixed, as it is exposing an underlying issue that brass cased ammo lets you get away with under benign shooting conditions.

I used to say "you'll never win a match shooting steel cased ammo unless the rules make everybody use it" but now that Hornady is making steel cased ammo with quality bullets and quality production lines I'm not so sure.

Dave1965
August 12, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ain't skeered

M2 Carbine
August 12, 2012, 02:56 PM
I use steel case ammo in the guns that were designed for it, like my AK, Makarovs, SKS, etc.

I have a few $1,000 plus 1911's and NO I won't use steel case ammo in them or any good gun.

I also would not consider buying a used gun, like a AR, 1911, etc, that had shot a lot of steel case ammo. Of course few sellers will admit they shot that crap in their guns when they are trying to sell them.:D
There's really just no reason for using crap like this in a good gun.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Wolf223extractor.jpg

Now, I'm not anti steel case ammo. I have many thousands of rounds of 9x18, 9x19, 7.62x39, etc stockpiled for my inexpensive foreign guns.

Edit to add........
Last week I came across 900 rounds of Wolf 9mm ammo (9x19) for $12.00.
At present I am helping a couple ladies with their shooting. I am also loaning them a couple ATI 92C 9mm pistols for their concealed carry qualification.
I thought I'd just give them the Wolf ammo for practice. The ($400) ATI shoots the Wolf fine and we don't have to pick up the brass in this 100 plus degree heat. :)

OARNGESI
August 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
the hardest part of shooting steel cased ammo is the dirty look the cashiers give me when i pay for it. every time i always get the same question does it function for you followed by well i heard it will make your gun blow up jam every other round or its so dirty youll never get it all cleaned.

Shuler13
August 13, 2012, 07:29 AM
As an STI/RIA guy, I was under the impression that guys with >$1K 1911s shot Ferrari Brass?

45_auto
August 13, 2012, 08:04 AM
Now, I'm not anti steel case ammo. I have many thousands of rounds of 9x18, 9x19, 7.62x39, etc stockpiled for my inexpensive foreign guns.

Can inexpensive foreign guns shoot steel case ammo because they're made of better materials than expensive American guns?

M2 Carbine
August 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
Can inexpensive foreign guns shoot steel case ammo because they're made of better materials than expensive American guns?
Not necesserally. They are designed from the ground up to shoot steel ammo. They function reliably with steel ammo.
(But if you ever try to cut and tap a Chinese SKS barrel you had better have some good saw blades and carbide drill bits. It took all my saw blades and carbide drill bits to cut and tap (shorten) my SKS barrel. American barrels are like cutting butter compared to that SKS barrel)

Such as my above picture of the rim about torn off of the steel case .223 never happens with steel case ammo in the (inexpensive) foreign guns. Ammo malfunctions is common in 20+ American .223 rifles and pistols I and my friends have.
A friend gave away 2,000 rounds of .223 Wolf because it wouldn't function in his three AR's.

So, personally I (and friends) shoot the steel ammo in our (inexpensive foreign) guns and brass case ammo in the $1,000 guns.

But Hey, it's your gun, shoot what you want.:)

Drail
August 13, 2012, 09:13 AM
If you're going to shoot a lot of steel cased ammo keep a close eye on your extractor's hook. I would much prefer to wear out a brass case rim than to wear out an extractor. Brass works much better for an application like a cartidge case than steel. And steel cases are a pain to reload. They have to be generously lubed and they will wear on your dies.

bannockburn
August 13, 2012, 10:11 AM
Tried in a couple of my semi-autos but accuracy was poor and the powder they used left a lot of dirty, sooty residue on the guns. Also concerned about excessive wear and tear on the extractor.

wally
August 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
Such as my above picture of the rim about torn off of the steel case

Odds are that gun is significantly over-gassed, also FOD in the action or running so wet that oil gets in the chamber can cause stuck case extraction failures -- think suction cup, instead of lube.

My only stuck cases have been from FOD or forgetting to swab the bore after taking one out of long term storage. I've had two out of spec extractors (experiences with about 20 ARs of me and my friends) that needed to be replaced, using brass cased ammo covered up the issue. On one the gap between the hook and the bolt face was too narrow so it wasn't fully slipping into th extraction groove, the other the front of the hook was too fat so it also wouldn't fit fully into the extraction groove

A friend gave away 2,000 rounds of .223 Wolf because it wouldn't function in his three AR's Man I sure wish he'd given it to me! IMHO he's got three ARs that I'd never trust for any serious usage.

Cranky CJ
August 14, 2012, 12:49 AM
a. I don't own any hand gun that expensive.

b. If I did have a hand gun that expensive, I would have an expectation that I could run anything through it without hurting it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will you use steel ammo in your $1K+ 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!