Got a DEAL on a Ruger MkI!!!

PDA

jogar80
August 13, 2012, 07:00 PM
I have a small ranch I go to every day after work where I keep my horses, some chickens, and a few sheep. It's just kind of my daily getaway. Anyway. a few weeks ago, this guy shows up saying he wants a chicken but wonders if I'd take a trade on something he has. He pulls out this first gen Ruger .22 standard, doesnt even say "mkI" on it or anything... just plain ole "ruger .22". The only problem is, the thing looks like it was dug out of a trench!! Severely pitted on the outside, bolt a lil rusty and wont fully cycle, trigger not functional, but at least the bore was in decent shape. I made the trade and took it home, tried to get it to work, but no dice. I sent it out to Ruger and they call and say they will fix it for $85, completely replace all the innards. So I'm thinking "Heck yea!!" Gave em credit card info and been waiting since..... Then today I received it, with a note saying repairs were done at no charge as a courtesy!! Looks the same on the outside, but works beautifully!! Checked my bank account and sure enough no charges at all!! Can you believe that?! I am at a loss for words with that kind of service....truly AMAZING!!! Can't wait to get to the ranch and try it out!

Thanks Ruger!! They just turned one of their usual customers into a hardcore FAN!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/jogar80/Mobile%20Uploads/imagejpeg_2-2.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/jogar80/Mobile%20Uploads/imagejpeg_2-3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a DEAL on a Ruger MkI!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
August 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
And you did get a great deal!

murf
August 13, 2012, 07:05 PM
ruger does that a lot. they have always treated me with patience and respect.

if you go to the sturm ruger website, you can look up the date of manufacture for that gun. let us know how old, if you do.

if you get tired of that old piece-o-junk, i'll buy it off of you!! i can always use one more.

murf

WardenWolf
August 13, 2012, 07:06 PM
Wow, that's excellent service. I had to refurbish my father's Ruger Mark I recently, with all new springs. After calling them, they transferred me to their parts department where I was able to order the parts at a significant discount. I'm the type who prefers to work on my guns myself, whenever I can. I had to do a fair bit of fitting work to get the new parts to fit (nearly 40 years of parts tolerances difference will do that) but some quality time with a file is all it needed, for the most part. Except for the vertical mainspring strut. That I had to punch out and replace with the one from the original mainspring housing. Never did figure out why the new one didn't work. . .

rhinoh
August 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
Good story! I still have and never will part with my first handgun- a Ruger Mark I
Bought in 1974 for around $50 IIRC.
Wish I still owned the Nylon 66 I had back then too....

Fishbed77
August 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
Yet more proof that Ruger customer service is second-to-none.

PO2Hammer
August 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
Give a man a chicken and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Ruger .22 and you feed him for life.
(OK, so it's not proverb worthy)

jogar80
August 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
Give a man a chicken and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Ruger .22 and you feed him for life.
(OK, so it's not proverb worthy)
Heh... I like that!

jogar80
August 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
Well the thing shoots great! No jams at all and accurate as well! I love it!

jogar80
August 14, 2012, 11:06 PM
Trying to post pics but dang iPhone isn't helping

jogar80
August 15, 2012, 10:31 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/jogar80/Mobile%20Uploads/imagejpeg_2.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/jogar80/Mobile%20Uploads/imagejpeg_2-1.jpg

jogar80
August 15, 2012, 10:38 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/jogar80/Mobile%20Uploads/imagejpeg_2-2.jpg

jogar80
August 15, 2012, 10:43 AM
I checked the serial number out on Ruger's website and this pistol was manufactured in 1962.

RustHunter87
August 15, 2012, 10:49 AM
I got a bunch of chickens if any one is interested lol

DammitBoy
August 15, 2012, 11:02 AM

I will give you three chickens for it! :D

PO2Hammer
August 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
I'll deliver a bucket of KFC and help you eat it!

(really cool pistol, congrats)

bannockburn
August 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
jogar80

Great story! Sounds like one of those gun buyback programs but done country style; turn in a gun and get a chicken. I do believe you most definitely got the better end of that deal. Also nice to hear about Rugers Customer Service too.

Twmaster
August 15, 2012, 09:49 PM
Sweet deal. I have a 1953 Mk1 and love it. You've got a gem. Even if rough.

When I was a little boy my daddy owned a gas station. A fellow came in and asked if my father would take a revolver for $10 worth of gas. (1967?)

Dad still has that H&R 9 shot .22 wheel gun!

Flashcube
August 16, 2012, 12:12 AM
I like it.

Ruger Standards are a dime a dozen, but not often with an amusing story and all that "character". I have a soft spot for rusty things that still work. :)

1KPerDay
August 16, 2012, 01:44 PM
Way to go, Ruger! :cool:

wdunlap
August 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
Be sure to send Ruger a very nice thank you letter!

DammitBoy
August 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
I thank Ruger by buying lots of their awesome products.

ColdDayInHell
August 16, 2012, 03:54 PM
Ruger is my favorite company along with Glock. They are awesome. I have that MKI as well, it is great. Good luck finding magazines for it though!

mgmorden
August 16, 2012, 05:01 PM
Good luck finding magazines for it though!

Ruger still makes them. They're sometimes out of stock at places but I didn't have any big trouble getting ahold to 4 extras for mine, and they were less than $20 each.

1KPerDay
August 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
BTW, get an ultimate cliploader for it... you'll be glad you did.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/120960767011?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

ColdDayInHell
August 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
Ruger still makes them. They're sometimes out of stock at places but I didn't have any big trouble getting ahold to 4 extras for mine, and they were less than $20 each.
They do make them, but that button on the side to pull the follower down is on the opposite side with my MKI! I can't find a spare magazine anywhere. I have tried the web, gun shows, classifieds. Oh I want one so bad haha. My MKII is very easy to buy magazines for.

mgmorden
August 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
They do make them, but that button on the side to pull the follower down is on the opposite side with my MKI! I can't find a spare magazine anywhere. I have tried the web, gun shows, classifieds. Oh I want one so bad haha. My MKII is very easy to buy magazines for.

Little secret: the magazine button can be reversed from side to side ;). The factory shipped side is for the post 1971 (A100) frames, but if yours is earlier you just swap the button to the other side. I had to do that with all mine. They work fine.

Twmaster
August 16, 2012, 06:09 PM
Uh, Midway sells the correct mag new. I got one for my 1953 Standard.

ColdDayInHell
August 16, 2012, 06:13 PM
Are you kidding me? I thought that I couldn't do it with this mag. Want me to upload a picture of mine?

deputy tom
August 16, 2012, 06:20 PM
Great story. tom.:cool:

jogar80
August 16, 2012, 06:31 PM
Are you kidding me? I thought that I couldn't do it with this mag. Want me to upload a picture of mine?
He's right, I got a mag for mine with the button on the left side. Took the floor plate out and swapped the button to the other side. Easy!!

mgmorden
August 16, 2012, 08:59 PM

We can look at it if you'd like, but you should be fine. The older ones with the metal base should already be setup correctly. The newer ones with the grey plastic floorplate will have the button on the left side to start with which won't fit your gun, but as jogar80 said you just take the floorplate off and remove the follower (which requires taking off the button). When you put it back together just put the button on the other side and it'll work fine.

Twmaster
August 16, 2012, 11:37 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/197678/ruger-magazine-ruger-mark-i-old-style-22-long-rifle-9-round-steel-blue

rhinoh
August 19, 2012, 09:21 PM
I sure wish Ruger made and sold the ORIGINAL style mags with the metal floor plate. I don't much like the plastic bottomed ones they sell now. I was a little disappointed when I ordered one expecting to get one like I already had.

Twmaster
August 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
I sure wish Ruger made and sold the ORIGINAL style mags with the metal floor plate. I don't much like the plastic bottomed ones they sell now. I was a little disappointed when I ordered one expecting to get one like I already had.
On that I will 100% agree.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a DEAL on a Ruger MkI!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!