Rock Island Armory .45 ACP GI version vs. Tactical

PDA

stinger 327
August 14, 2012, 12:49 AM
I have heard alot of positive things about this gun. Are there any negatives on this gun I haven't heard of? The price is right.
The price I can get the .45 GI is $430 and the Tactical model for $499. I am heading more towards the tactical model because the sights are suppose to be a bit better.
Comments?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Island Armory .45 ACP GI version vs. Tactical" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cranky CJ
August 14, 2012, 01:02 AM
I've had a RIA GI model for about 5-6 yrs now. Nothing neg to say about it. As accurate as any of my more pricey hand guns. Trigger is nice and it eats anything I put through it.

I reload and have tried a variety of different bullets and loads. I've run some low power lead bullet plinking loads and some moderately warm HP loads, no problems with anything I have tired.

The only thing I would say is that the fit and finish isn't going to be as nice as some of the "name brand" flavors. For the money, I think they are a smokn' deal. Those that have one, love them. Those that are critical of them, don't own one.

dagerv
August 14, 2012, 01:06 AM
I have the RIA GI. I have since put approximately 2500 rounds through it. Runs great! I did install new grips and sights. Best value 1911 I can think of

stinger 327
August 14, 2012, 01:08 AM
I've had a RIA GI model for about 5-6 yrs now. Nothing neg to say about it. As accurate as any of my more pricey hand guns. Trigger is nice and it eats anything I put through it.

I reload and have tried a variety of different bullets and loads. I've run some low power lead bullet plinking loads and some moderately warm HP loads, no problems with anything I have tired.

The only thing I would say is that the fit and finish isn't going to be as nice as some of the "name brand" flavors. For the money, I think they are a smokn' deal. Those that have one, love them. Those that are critical of them, don't own one.
Would you depend on this gun for your life if put into a bad situation?
1911 Sig Sauer is of the highest quality but cost is twice maybe three times of the RIA. I would be afraid of getting a scratch or getting a Sig 1911 dirty on the range when shooting that jewel.

Cranky CJ
August 14, 2012, 01:18 AM
yes.

stinger 327
August 14, 2012, 01:20 AM
I have the RIA GI. I have since put approximately 2500 rounds through it. Runs great! I did install new grips and sights. Best value 1911 I can think of
I would just get the Tactical model as I am not into modifying much.

stinger 327
August 14, 2012, 01:21 AM
yes.

Thank you for your input.:)

CmdrSlander
August 14, 2012, 05:30 AM
As someone who has the GI, I will advise you to get the tactical. The GI model requires about $250 worth of upgrades to be truly useable and modern, while the Tac. model is ready to go right out of the box.

Shuler13
August 14, 2012, 05:42 AM
As someone who has the GI, I will advise you to get the tactical. The GI model requires about $250 worth of upgrades to be truly useable and modern, while the Tac. model is ready to go right out of the box.

Unless, of course, modern is not what the shooter wants. The GI model is a great range gun for me without modernizing.

silicosys4
August 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
"1911 Sig Sauer is of the highest quality but cost is twice maybe three times of the RIA. I would be afraid of getting a scratch or getting a Sig 1911 dirty on the range when shooting that jewel."

Think again. TacPacs are going for $650 or so right now....INSANE bargain on a sig 1911, mine shoots amazingly well. Its not even a question in my mind about spending the extra $150 for the sig over the ria, and I have them both....not even a close comparison

Fotno
August 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
I own a Tactical, and it's a fine pistol. The sights are good, and it feeds everything I've loaded it up with without a single problem. The only thing I don't like about it is the ambi thumb safety. It's too large, and too sharp edged. For my money I'd rather it had the smaller single sided safety.

stinger 327
August 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
I own a Tactical, and it's a fine pistol. The sights are good, and it feeds everything I've loaded it up with without a single problem. The only thing I don't like about it is the ambi thumb safety. It's too large, and too sharp edged. For my money I'd rather it had the smaller single sided safety.
Are the sights on the tactical, (dovetail) adjustable? As far as the thumb safety do you even get a choice of a different thumb safety in any of the RIA .45 ACP models?

bigfatdave
August 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
RIA makes great guns for the price

Get the Tactical

Fotno
August 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
Are the sights on the tactical, (dovetail) adjustable?

Nope.

As far as the thumb safety do you even get a choice of a different thumb safety in any of the RIA .45 ACP models?

The GI models have a smaller, smoother, single sided safety. As far as I know, the Tactical comes with the Ambi only. I'm not against the idea of an Ambi safety; but if you ride this one with your thumb after a few rounds it gets pretty tiresome.

The next money I spend on mine, will be to replace the ambi safety.

matrem
August 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
Are the sights on the tactical, (dovetail) adjustable?
Yep.(windage only)
You'll need a vise, small hammer, and some brass that fits in that Novak cutout.(Oh yea, and an old tee shirt to line the vise jaws)
As far as the thumb safety do you even get a choice of a different thumb safety in any of the RIA .45 ACP models?
I'm not aware of any such luxury at that price.
And don't discount that fact that any pistol newbies are far more likely to bleed where their thumb meets their palm with the standard "GI" model.
"Tactical" model is well worth the $50-100 for most folks.

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 01:05 AM
Yep.(windage only)
You'll need a vise, small hammer, and some brass that fits in that Novak cutout.(Oh yea, and an old tee shirt to line the vise jaws)

I'm not aware of any such luxury at that price.
And don't discount that fact that any pistol newbies are far more likely to bleed where their thumb meets their palm with the standard "GI" model.
"Tactical" model is well worth the $50-100 for most folks.
Well being here in California I can get the GI model for $425 but the Tactical will cost $499. I will have to see what is up with the safety switch you guys mention if its an issue with me but on the tactical I like the fact that it does have better sights even though it only adjusts one way if it is anything like I have on one of my .22 LR NAA Mini Master(still a useless sight to me)
The GI model doesn't have that same safety switch?

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 01:07 AM
Nope.

The GI models have a smaller, smoother, single sided safety. As far as I know, the Tactical comes with the Ambi only. I'm not against the idea of an Ambi safety; but if you ride this one with your thumb after a few rounds it gets pretty tiresome.

The next money I spend on mine, will be to replace the ambi safety.

What's an Ambi safety? The Tactical model doesn't have this but the GI model does?:confused:

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 01:10 AM
And the GI model has this single sided safety which is preferred over this ambi safety in the Tactical model?
What a toss up GI model has a better safety to manipulate than the tactical, but the tactical has better sights and a few extras like skeleton trigger and spur hammer.

highpower
August 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
I have replaced safeties on 1911's before and it is not all that hard. I would almost bet that a new single sided government model safety from RIA would fit and function in their tactical model without any work. That being said, I haven't tried it with an RIA, so it might require some fitting.

I just bought a RIA government model last month and so far I am very impressed with it. The fit and finish on mine is very good and while it isn't polished as nice as a commercial Colt, It looks as good as any wartime 1911 I have ever owned.

As far as reliability is concerned, I took it out and ran 250 rounds through it a couple of weeks ago and It digested everything I ran through it (HP, two different lead SWC loads and ball ammo) with no problems. Not too bad for a brand new gun with zero rounds through it before I started.

Would I trust my life with it? So far the answer is, yes.

kim breed
August 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
I have the tac version and it shoots with kimbers and colts for half of the price. either gun will fit your needs but the tac does have more features.

Fotno
August 15, 2012, 09:55 AM
What's an Ambi safety? The Tactical model doesn't have this but the GI model does?:confused:

Ambidextrous meaning that the Tactical model has a safety lever on both sides of the frame. That's the only feature of the Tactical model I don't like. The GI model has a thumb safety on the left side only, just like the original 'Government Issue' (G.I.) design.

HKGuns
August 15, 2012, 10:37 AM
I own the GI and it works great. I don't advocate spending the extra money on the tactical model as that puts you very close to being able to buy something in the next class up in price.

I would only buy the RIA if you will be satisfied with how it comes stock. Sinking a ton of money into it to turn it into something it isn't makes little to no sense. Why do that when you could have just spent the money on the right pistol in the first place.

The RIA GI is a perfectly functional, reliable and accurate 1911 and a very good value for the money you spend on it. I picked mine up used for significantly less than $400.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v25/p257666243-4.jpg

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
I own the GI and it works great. I don't advocate spending the extra money on the tactical model as that puts you very close to being able to buy something in the next class up in price.

I would only buy the RIA if you will be satisfied with how it comes stock. Sinking a ton of money into it to turn it into something it isn't makes little to no sense. Why do that when you could have just spent the money on the right pistol in the first place.

The RIA GI is a perfectly functional, reliable and accurate 1911 and a very good value for the money you spend on it. I picked mine up used for significantly less than $400.

I agree with you. I won't be doing any kind of modifications. I just want to get something decent right out of the box.

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have the tac version and it shoots with kimbers and colts for half of the price. either gun will fit your needs but the tac does have more features.
That is outstanding.

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 11:50 AM

What is the next class up?

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
"1911 Sig Sauer is of the highest quality but cost is twice maybe three times of the RIA. I would be afraid of getting a scratch or getting a Sig 1911 dirty on the range when shooting that jewel."

Think again. TacPacs are going for $650 or so right now....INSANE bargain on a sig 1911, mine shoots amazingly well. Its not even a question in my mind about spending the extra $150 for the sig over the ria, and I have them both....not even a close comparison
What is a Tac Pac?
The 1911 Sigs are in the $1,000 range and the P-220 is in the $800 range. Too pricey for me at the moment. I don't have any 1911's so this would be my first to add to collection.

Girodin
August 15, 2012, 03:22 PM
What is a Tac Pac?

It is a model offered by sig. It is similar to the tac ops but has some differences, such as a non ambi safety.

http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/1_pistols_sig_1911_with_tacpac_66527.jpg

http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/3_pistols_sig_1911_with_tacpac_66527.jpg

As to price I would be very interested in where I could buy a NIB tac pac for $650. I have seen some other used sig 1911s at that price, most recently a Nitron. I should have bought it.

Impact, whose prices are generally not the lowest has the tac pac for $950. Other places have it for less but because of MAP pricing I'm not sure what it is.

Now a lightly used Sig 1911 at $650 would IMHO be a better buy than RIA tactical at 500ish. I haven't priced them but it seemed to me RIAs used to go for more like $450. The sig is a better gun IMHO, but that is still a $200 or more difference. Of course if one thinks they are every going to want to add some of the features of the sig, say a checkered front strap, then the same argument people make for the tactical over the GI applies. It will cost much less to get the features you want up front.

Legion489
August 15, 2012, 03:39 PM
I bought a SHOOTERS CHOICE (Century Arms Philippine made 1911) and it was EXCELLENT! Beat the snot out of the Kimber I bought! First, it WORKED right out of the box. Had a 4 lb trigger pull that was nice and clean. Mag worked fine and the ejector was finished. More than I can say about the Kimber! Oh yes, dealer cost was under HALF what the Kimber cost too! Had a slip in it where everyone signed off on it who worked on it, so there was accountability! The Kimber obviously wasn't test fired (so few guns are test fired in the US now, just ask any industry insider and they will tell you almost NO ONE test fires guns now) because it couldn't work right out of the box and no one knows anything.

You might check CDNN. They had Taurus blued .38 Super 1911s w/rail for $350 and stainless .38 Supers for $425 w/rail. I love my Taurus and hate the rail, but now at least I know why I don't like rails. The "no-name" blued 1911s were in the same price range. To change to 9mm from .38 Super, just buy a barrel. The .38 Super mags work just fine for me with 9mm ammo. To convert to .45 ACP, just buy a complete upper half for a couple hundered dollars. The Sarco commercial slide with decent sights is less than $150 and a great slide. The sights are there to stay however, you need a hydrolic press to move them! The Sarco barrels are pretty good, and the other parts are cheap.

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
It is a model offered by sig. It is similar to the tac ops but has some differences, such as a non ambi safety.

http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/1_pistols_sig_1911_with_tacpac_66527.jpg

http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/3_pistols_sig_1911_with_tacpac_66527.jpg

As to price I would be very interested in where I could buy a NIB tac pac for $650. I have seen some other used sig 1911s at that price, most recently a Nitron. I should have bought it.

Impact, whose prices are generally not the lowest has the tac pac for $950. Other places have it for less but because of MAP pricing I'm not sure what it is.

Now a lightly used Sig 1911 at $650 would IMHO be a better buy than RIA tactical at 500ish. I haven't priced them but it seemed to me RIAs used to go for more like $450. The sig is a better gun IMHO, but that is still a $200 or more difference. Of course if one thinks they are every going to want to add some of the features of the sig, say a checkered front strap, then the same argument people make for the tactical over the GI applies. It will cost much less to get the features you want up front.
So this Trac Pac is not a P-220 style S/A and D/A pistol? It is a 1911 style pistol. The ones I have seen advertised are all above $900.

rdhood
August 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
I haven't priced them but it seemed to me RIAs used to go for more like $450.

Back in 2008, I bought an RIA tactical from SARCO for UNDER $400.

I put a couple of magazines through it every time I go to the range. I reload, and this thing eats MBC Softballs 100% of the time. I have had maybe one or two FTE/FTF with MBC 230gr RN "Softballs" in the last 1000 rounds. By my estimation, that is as good as you are going to get with just about ANY 1911.

Furncliff
August 15, 2012, 05:26 PM
My tactical is about six years old. Better sights and other extras make the tactical well worth the extra money. I use mine for developing loads and it eats everything and is most accurate with Laser-Cast LSWC and Bullseye. There may be some 1911 A1 parts that do not fit on the RIA but I'm not aware of them. That means that exchanging parts like safety levers should be no problem.

The best for last...I recently bought an RIA 1911 midsize 9mm that came to me with extraction problems. It took two trips to Nevada to get it working right. But RIA paid all the shipping and communication with the gunsmiths AND the shipping dept. was excellent.

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
My tactical is about six years old. Better sights and other extras make the tactical well worth the extra money. I use mine for developing loads and it eats everything and is most accurate with Laser-Cast LSWC and Bullseye. There may be some 1911 A1 parts that do not fit on the RIA but I'm not aware of them. That means that exchanging parts like safety levers should be no problem.

The best for last...I recently bought an RIA 1911 midsize 9mm that came to me with extraction problems. It took two trips to Nevada to get it working right. But RIA paid all the shipping and communication with the gunsmiths AND the shipping dept. was excellent.
So then if one didn't like the safety thumb switch on Tactical they could have a gunsmith get the safety thumb switch from the RIA GI Model and put that onto RIA Tactical model?
RIA is lifetime warranty?

stinger 327
August 15, 2012, 05:38 PM

RIA has lifetime warranty?

gpjoe
August 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
I don't know if RIA has a lifetime warranty, but I have heard a lot of good things about their customer service.

I have owned a few 1911s, including an RIA GI model. For the money it is an excellent value. Mine was a great shooter with no malfunctions over a couple thousand rounds. That's not a huge amount, but enough to be an indication of solid, dependable performance.

I agree with a few other folks that have posted here:

Get the pistol with the features you want, rather than modifying the pistol later. The money you spend on the mods will kind of defeat the reason for buying a RIA in the first place: they don't cost a lot. If you're not sure, try and visit a gun show or shop where you can handle the guns. Even if you can't handle a RIA GI model, any GI model will give you a very good idea of what the RIA will look and feel like. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a Remington or Springfield GI model to handle.

I sold mine because of the GI sights. With my not-so-great vision I was having a hard time seeing the front sight. All of my remaining 1911s have white dot or night sights.

Even so, I really enjoyed shooting the RIA and IMO it is an incredible value.

Hacker15E
August 15, 2012, 10:36 PM
Back in 2008, I bought an RIA tactical from SARCO for UNDER $400.

...and the GIs were $289.

stinger 327
August 16, 2012, 01:32 AM
I don't know if RIA has a lifetime warranty, but I have heard a lot of good things about their customer service.

I have owned a few 1911s, including an RIA GI model. For the money it is an excellent value. Mine was a great shooter with no malfunctions over a couple thousand rounds. That's not a huge amount, but enough to be an indication of solid, dependable performance.

I agree with a few other folks that have posted here:

Get the pistol with the features you want, rather than modifying the pistol later. The money you spend on the mods will kind of defeat the reason for buying a RIA in the first place: they don't cost a lot. If you're not sure, try and visit a gun show or shop where you can handle the guns. Even if you can't handle a RIA GI model, any GI model will give you a very good idea of what the RIA will look and feel like. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a Remington or Springfield GI model to handle.

I sold mine because of the GI sights. With my not-so-great vision I was having a hard time seeing the front sight. All of my remaining 1911s have white dot or night sights.

Even so, I really enjoyed shooting the RIA and IMO it is an incredible value.
If that ended up being one of your primary protection guns sights aren't
all that important since you will most likely end up point shooting when things happen so fast. Like I have said before I don't have a 1911 in my collection and everyone says you have to have at least one of these in your collection. I would love the Sig but I can't see spending that kind of money on a pistol but If I had the $$$ I probably would. So far I have only heard the big disadvantage of the Tactical over the GI model is the thumb safety switch on the tactical is more difficult to manipulate than the GI model but the GI model has terrible sights for shooting at the range. I will probably have to handle both of these RIA models GI and Tactical to make up my mind but most likely I am swinging towards the Tactical because I would like to shoot it on the range at targets using better sights.
Yes I defintely want the model of RIA that I won't need to add anything to it. I want it good to go right from the box.

Fotno
August 16, 2012, 01:43 AM
So far I have only heard the big disadvantage of the Tactical over the GI model is the thumb safety switch on the tactical is more difficult to manipulate than the GI model...

You didn't hear me say that. What I wrote (and what I meant) is that the Tactical model's safety has sharper edges, and is larger that I would like it to be. It operates just fine. It is not more difficult to manipulate, I just don't like it.

Best thing you can do is go shoot several 1911 in your price range and pick the one you like best.

stinger 327
August 16, 2012, 01:47 AM
You didn't hear me say that. What I wrote (and what I meant) is that the Tactical model's safety has sharper edges, and is larger that I would like it to be. It operates just fine. It is not more difficult to manipulate, I just don't like it.

Best thing you can do is go shoot several 1911 in your price range and pick the one you like best.
No not from you but somewhere else someone said it can get tiring from using that safety over the GI safety but the solution (if it bothers one that bad) would be to switch them if possible from the GI to the Tactical safety. I'll just have to have each one the GI and the Tactical in my hands side by side. The price seems right even though it has gone up from what I hear on here from a few years ago.

shiftyer1
August 16, 2012, 02:47 AM
Yes the price has gone up alot. I went to buy a rock island gi and they were out..the price was around 3300 bux. They were out and I had to buy a gun that day so I haggeled on a puma lever gun. Ended up buying a safari arms somewhere else. If I find a new or used ria around 300bux ill grab it

stinger 327
August 16, 2012, 05:44 AM
Yes the price has gone up alot. I went to buy a rock island gi and they were out..the price was around 3300 bux. They were out and I had to buy a gun that day so I haggeled on a puma lever gun. Ended up buying a safari arms somewhere else. If I find a new or used ria around 300bux ill grab it
just how long has the RIA GI and Tactical guns in .45 ACP been out?

Hacker15E
August 16, 2012, 08:04 AM
The GIs since at least 2004. Tacticals I think rolled out in 2006 or so.

bigfatdave
August 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
I think the warranty question remained unanswered ...

Armscor guns have a lifetime warranty. RIA is manufactured by Armscor (as are Citadel 1911s, Cimmaron 1911s, most STI major components, and others)
Not your lifetime, the gun's lifetime

Unless you booger it up purposefully (put the Dremel away, kids) RIA/Armscor will fix it, generally they will pay shipping both ways.

I recently helped a friend who had inherited a .22 from Squires Bingham, an older Armscor brand name, there is still a very similar gun called the M20P being sold. When I contacted Armscor/RIA through their FB page, the CEO* replied that yes, if spare parts were needed, the M20P parts would fit, and then he pointed out that the gun was still under warranty - and I suspect the gun was purchased in the early 1970's. A generous helping of CLP, some HV ammo to knock the crud and mung from a few decades of back-of-closet storage out, and some new M20P magazines from Armscor later, my friend has a perfectly functioning rifle that is surprisingly accurate.

For myself, I own 4 1911-based Armscor-built pistols - a CIT45CS, a new TCM, a new XT22, and a semicustom that RIA built for me, mounting a 4" upper on a CS frame**. They're all good guns, well built and suited to their purpose. The biggest problems I've had are that I wore out the recoil spring in the Citadel (oh no, $8 to replace!) and the XT22 likes hotter ammo (oh no, I have to buy CCI minimags more often!) ... given quality ammo and magazines, the guns simply work.

* (yes, the CEO of ArmscorUSA sometimes answers questions on FB himself)
** (I call it my CCO-ish, it is a GREAT carry gun)

stinger 327
August 16, 2012, 11:02 AM
The GIs since at least 2004. Tacticals I think rolled out in 2006 or so.
Thanks!

stinger 327
August 16, 2012, 11:03 AM
I think the warranty question remained unanswered ...

Armscor guns have a lifetime warranty. RIA is manufactured by Armscor (as are Citadel 1911s, Cimmaron 1911s, most STI major components, and others)
Not your lifetime, the gun's lifetime

Unless you booger it up purposefully (put the Dremel away, kids) RIA/Armscor will fix it, generally they will pay shipping both ways.

I recently helped a friend who had inherited a .22 from Squires Bingham, an older Armscor brand name, there is still a very similar gun called the M20P being sold. When I contacted Armscor/RIA through their FB page, the CEO* replied that yes, if spare parts were needed, the M20P parts would fit, and then he pointed out that the gun was still under warranty - and I suspect the gun was purchased in the early 1970's. A generous helping of CLP, some HV ammo to knock the crud and mung from a few decades of back-of-closet storage out, and some new M20P magazines from Armscor later, my friend has a perfectly functioning rifle that is surprisingly accurate.

For myself, I own 4 1911-based Armscor-built pistols - a CIT45CS, a new TCM, a new XT22, and a semicustom that RIA built for me, mounting a 4" upper on a CS frame**. They're all good guns, well built and suited to their purpose. The biggest problems I've had are that I wore out the recoil spring in the Citadel (oh no, $8 to replace!) and the XT22 likes hotter ammo (oh no, I have to buy CCI minimags more often!) ... given quality ammo and magazines, the guns simply work.

* (yes, the CEO of ArmscorUSA sometimes answers questions on FB himself)
** (I call it my CCO-ish, it is a GREAT carry gun)
This is good at least for once one doesn't need to spend a fortune to get a good product that works fine and get good customer support/service.

powwowell
August 16, 2012, 12:19 PM
I've owned several RIAs. They might be the best value in the world of 1911s?

In my opinion, it's a no brainer to get the Tactical version over the GI version. That IS the best value in the 1911 world.

HKGuns might like his stock GI version, but I see where he's invested in some non-stock magazines. A good investment.

stinger 327
August 16, 2012, 12:21 PM
I've owned several RIAs. They might be the best value in the world of 1911s?

In my opinion, it's a no brainer to get the Tactical version over the GI version. That IS the best value in the 1911 world.

HKGuns might like his stock GI version, but I see where he's invested in some non-stock magazines. A good investment.
The price is right for a good product.

silicosys4
August 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
Here's the auction site and seller I picked mine up from. Took me a few weeks to find one that closed cheap, but I picked mine up for $640, NIB.
It is much more accurate than my RIA GI model, but most of that is due to the better sights and match barrel on the Sig. The sig does require me to size cast bullets to .452, due to the match chamber, while the RIA will shoot as-cast, for the most part.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11240277/pistols-for-sale/sig-sauer-1911-tacpac-2c-.45-acp-2c-holster-2c-laser-2c-2-mags

Girodin
August 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
Tac pac for $640 is a great buy. In the two weeks you watched auctions what price did most of them close at?

Paul7
August 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
I had a RIA Tactical and it never did work, even after going back to the factory.

silicosys4
August 16, 2012, 08:00 PM
most tacpacs I saw close at $650-$700. The auction I posted is still at $653 right now, less than a half hour to go.....gotta get off the computer...having ridiculous visions of double carrying matching sig 1911's....

Girodin
August 17, 2012, 01:11 AM
I may have to start watching those auctions.

stinger 327
August 17, 2012, 01:40 AM
Here's the auction site and seller I picked mine up from. Took me a few weeks to find one that closed cheap, but I picked mine up for $640, NIB.
It is much more accurate than my RIA GI model, but most of that is due to the better sights and match barrel on the Sig. The sig does require me to size cast bullets to .452, due to the match chamber, while the RIA will shoot as-cast, for the most part.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11240277/pistols-for-sale/sig-sauer-1911-tacpac-2c-.45-acp-2c-holster-2c-laser-2c-2-mags
Why are these priced so low for being a Sig Sauer? The 1911 Sigs cost $900+ What's the story on these?

Girodin
August 17, 2012, 06:26 AM
It did make me wonder what dealer pricing is one them.

silicosys4
August 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
I suspect...and this is just a suspicion based off of the one gun that I received, is that these MIGHT be factory blemishes. The gun I received had about 6-8 TINY blemishes in the nitron finish. It looks like maybe a few dust particles were on the gun when it was finished and prevented the nitron from adhering to the frame....but I only noticed them a few weeks after I picked it up, and then only because I was making a very anal inspection in bright light. Since its a SS gun, and the spots were so small as to be barely visible with the naked eye, who knows, and frankly, i don't really care about a few tiny cosmetic finish issues on a shooter.

stinger 327
August 17, 2012, 05:58 PM
I suspect...and this is just a suspicion based off of the one gun that I received, is that these MIGHT be factory blemishes. The gun I received had about 6-8 TINY blemishes in the nitron finish. It looks like maybe a few dust particles were on the gun when it was finished and prevented the nitron from adhering to the frame....but I only noticed them a few weeks after I picked it up, and then only because I was making a very anal inspection in bright light. Since its a SS gun, and the spots were so small as to be barely visible with the naked eye, who knows, and frankly, i don't really care about a few tiny cosmetic finish issues on a shooter.
just like an american car:uhoh::eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Island Armory .45 ACP GI version vs. Tactical" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!