Cheap double barrel shotguns?

PDA

catinthebat
August 15, 2012, 03:04 PM
I really wanted to get a double barrel shotgun, but I don't want to spend that much.
Are there any cheap companies making them? (Preferably about 200$)
If not, what do you expect I would be paying for a crusty rusty used one from the gun show?

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap double barrel shotguns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
drsfmd
August 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
You can't buy crusty and used for $200.

I don't mean this to sound mean, or not high road, but with a $200 budget, you can't afford a double.

Chevelle SS
August 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
I picked up a nice Stevens 311 12ga SXS with 28'' barrels for $200 a month ago. Pics are here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=666942

They are good deals out there, they are just not plentiful.

Chevelle SS
August 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
Here are some:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=300844130

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=301059434

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=300555610

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=301123269

OARNGESI
August 15, 2012, 03:56 PM
cdnn has a few o/u for 330-400 if you want a sxs look into stoeger. but in the 300range maybe a used stevens

chromerunner
August 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
can find a stevens for around 250.00

Good working shotguns

Salmoneye
August 15, 2012, 05:41 PM
Another "Working Man's" is the Savage 511...

Basically a 311 with cheaper wood and harder to remove the barrels...

But they go bang reliably, and you don't cry when you pay for them or if they get dinged...

oneounceload
August 15, 2012, 06:15 PM
I have never seen and Stevens or Savage for under 500, not sure where you folks live, but a SxS for 200 is good for fence posts and Handyman jack handles

Chevelle SS
August 15, 2012, 06:40 PM
deleted

ccsniper
August 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
You can't buy crusty and used for $200.

I don't mean this to sound mean, or not high road, but with a $200 budget, you can't afford a double.

I have never seen and Stevens or Savage for under 500, not sure where you folks live, but a SxS for 200 is good for fence posts and Handyman jack handles

No offense but you haven't been looking very hard. I see them around here at local shops for around 200-300 easy.

BullRunBear
August 15, 2012, 08:06 PM
For a SxS, your best bet is finding an old Stevens. Last year I picked up a Stevens 12 ga. for 200.00 and a 20 ga. for 225.00. Bargans are out there if you are patient. The Stevens SxS may not be elegant but mine go bang every time and will hit the target if I can.

Another possibility: check for ads from Cowboy Action Shooters. They have to use shotguns in their matches and many use SxS. Someone leaving the hobby or upgrading might be selling for a decent price.

Good luck in the search.

Jeff

jmr40
August 15, 2012, 09:42 PM
Anything under $700-$1,000 or so is wasted money on a double. If you have a $200 budget look for a used pump.

There are some Stevens guns selling for $200-$300, but all of those guns were cheap guns made with inferior parts 40-50 years ago. They were designed to last a lifetime of shooting with 1 or 2 boxes of ammo a year. If one lasts for 2 cases of ammo its useful life is about gone.

Most of those guns just about are about used up. I have had a few, including one bought new in 1972. All were nothing but trouble. Not going down that road again.

Chevelle SS
August 15, 2012, 09:51 PM
I have fired more than 3 cases through one of my Stevens 311s. I must disagree that it is inferior. I'm not saying it is a mid or top level gun, but for my purposes: pasture trap, varmint control, plinking, bird, rabbit, deer hunting, and HD it works great.

MCgunner
August 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
I rather like my 300 dollar Spartan AKA Baikal 20 gauge SxS. It's a great shootin' little dove buster. It's lighter and faster handling than any Stevens I've ever picked up and has interchangeable chokes. A Stevens 311 feels like shooting a cinder block to me. Of course, the 311s I've fired were 12s and mostly 16s. There are lots of 'em in 16 gauge out there to be had.

loose noose
August 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
jm40, don't know where you got your info from, but I shot CAS with a Stevens 311 and put quite a few rounds thru that puppy. In fact I bought it back in Wisconsin just below the UP in Michigan, when I was 12 years old, used it for ducks, pheasants, partridge, rabbits, and woodcocks, as well as shooting a few whitetail deer. Now I'm over 65 and still own that gun, and still haven't had to repair it. I'm getting ready to give it to my grandson, and I'll bet it will still be shooting by the time he's 65. Note I bought it used in like new condition, for the pricely sum of $25.00, fact is it is still in pretty good shape, less the scratches on the stock and the worn blueing. Think I just might redo the stock and forearm, and have it reblued before I give it to him.

dragon813gt
August 15, 2012, 11:00 PM
Anything under $700-$1,000 or so is wasted money on a double. If you have a $200 budget look for a used pump.

I really hate this attitude from any firearm owner. But particularly from shotgun shooters. Go to any trap range and if your gun isn't $2k they say it's garbage. My $300 Remington Spartan(Baikal) is a workhorse and the one I shoot the most. The barrels are regulated and as long as I do my part I'm good to go. I have more expensive doubles but I find myself coming back to the Spartan every time. It has a serious round count on it even though I was told it wouldn't last.

There are deals out there. You just have to be patient.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

oneounceload
August 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
I own a Savage Fox BSE - the upper grade cousin of the 311 - they are selling for over 700 in my region and 311 are selling for 500, not 200 - maybe they do in AR, but not where I live; even then that shotgun is overly heavy, handles like a 2x4, and has poor swing dynamics

I really hate this attitude from any firearm owner. But particularly from shotgun shooters. Go to any trap range and if your gun isn't $2k they say it's garbage. My $300 Remington Spartan(Baikal) is a workhorse and the one I shoot the most. The barrels are regulated and as long as I do my part I'm good to go. I have more expensive doubles but I find myself coming back to the Spartan every time. It has a serious round count on it even though I was told it wouldn't last.

Then perhaps you should try shooting a better-made gun to see the difference. I have no idea what a "serious round count" is to you, but to me, that means 250,000 rounds and more - something that baikal won't even come close to doing - I doubt it will do 25,000 or even 2500

No one said anything ab out having a $2k gun - which for a target shotgun is way on the low end, BTW - we get folks with all types of guns, and when someone like you shows up with the Baikal and then tries some other guns, they are already looking to upgrade - so buy quality once, cry once

MCgunner
August 15, 2012, 11:28 PM
jm40, don't know where you got your info from, but I shot CAS with a Stevens 311 and put quite a few rounds thru that puppy. In fact I bought it back in Wisconsin just below the UP in Michigan, when I was 12 years old, used it for ducks, pheasants, partridge, rabbits, and woodcocks, as well as shooting a few whitetail deer. Now I'm over 65 and still own that gun, and still haven't had to repair it. I'm getting ready to give it to my grandson, and I'll bet it will still be shooting by the time he's 65. Note I bought it used in like new condition, for the pricely sum of $25.00, fact is it is still in pretty good shape, less the scratches on the stock and the worn blueing. Think I just might redo the stock and forearm, and have it reblued before I give it to him.

There is internet "wisdom" and then there's actual experience. There seem to be lotsa shotgun snobs in the world, especially the double gun world. Well, some of us soldier on preferring champagne but having a beer pocket book. :D We are the guys that get the actual hands on experience with the lower priced guns. I'm really glad I have my Spartan and my 41 year old Sarasqueta (Spanish) doubles. I've been thinkin' of having some stocks made for that old Sarasqueta, too. It lead a rough life in its early years, but it never stopped shooting. It has the best regulated barrels I could ever imagine on a shotgun, shoots slugs like a H&H double rifle. I'd like to open up its chokes. It's choked mod/full.

Anyway, for sure, I think you got your 25 bucks worth out of that old Stevens! :D

oneounceload
August 15, 2012, 11:32 PM
Yep, and some of us have differing experience than others - that's the beauty of the internet - you can get a wide variety of opinions and experiences.... ;)

Chevelle SS
August 15, 2012, 11:47 PM
What is the shotgun you own that has fired 250,00 rounds?

ccsniper
August 15, 2012, 11:50 PM
No one said anything ab out having a $2k gun - which for a target shotgun is way on the low end, BTW - we get folks with all types of guns, and when someone like you shows up with the Baikal and then tries some other guns, they are already looking to upgrade - so buy quality once, cry once

That's fine, you can have your 2k dollar shotguns, more "cheapies" for me. But to me, a shotgun that sends lead down range that is in my hands is better than a shotgun sitting locked in a safe that only gets pulled out to get drooled on every now and then.

Chevelle SS
August 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
That's fine, you can have your 2k shotguns, more "cheapies" for me. But to me, a shotgun that sends lead down range that is in my hands is better than a shotgun sitting locked in a safe that only gets pulled out to get drooled on every now and then.

^This. Although I do have a $1800 shotgun (Engraved BPS slug gun + glass) :evil:

BemidjiDweller
August 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
I found myself a nice Springfield J. Stevens SxS for $100 at my LGS this spring. Works perfectly, no problems at all.

MCgunner
August 16, 2012, 12:08 AM
I plan to get a sub 2K O/U in the future just for a drool gun. :D I don't NEED one. But, O/Us tend to run a lot less than SxSs for higher end stuff, pretty wood, engraving, gold inlays, all that neat stuff. I currently have the hots for a Franchi Instinct L. It's affordable...well, by saving a while. LOL Cosmetically, it's plain, but not ugly. I never said my Spartan was pretty. :D I primarily like the way it fits and balances, though. It'll be a gun I will shoot doves with, as if I need another one, but heck, what's need got to do with it? In a previous post about it, oneounce seemed to think it was below his level of quality, but I still have the hots for it. :D I'm out to impress only myself. I won't get it for a while, so there's still time to change my mind as the memory of its fit fades.

http://www.franchiusa.com/franchi-instinct-l-shotgun/#

http://www.franchiusa.com/assets/silos/1004/silo_1004_franchi_instinct_l_20.png

One_Jackal
August 16, 2012, 12:11 AM
If you have a lot of experience with shotguns you can find a decent hunting double barrel for $300. If you have only owned one shotgun or this is your first I would look for something else. To be honest by the time you have enough experience to dig through the garbage to find a double barrel you won't want it for yourself.

snakeman
August 16, 2012, 12:13 AM
as for affordable doubles i like stoeger, yildiz, and the stevens gold wing.

MCgunner
August 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
Stoeger seems to fit okay, but I didn't like the weight of the ones I looked at. Yildiz is neat in that Briley does the warranty work, but it fit me like a 2 sizes too small shirt. I look at fit first with a double because shimming 'em is usually out unless the fit is a might sloppy and they're ugly anyway...ahem, Spartan....LOL

Chevelle SS
August 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
I had a Stoeger Uplander Supreme in 12ga with a single trigger but the dis-connecter was messed up so it often fired both barrels at once. :what: I later sold it. The fit and finish seemed nice for the price and it patterned well.

oneounceload
August 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
What is the shotgun you own that has fired 250,00 rounds?

My Browning Gti, bought new in 1994, is right at 240,000 right now

oneounceload
August 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
That's fine, you can have your 2k dollar shotguns, more "cheapies" for me. But to me, a shotgun that sends lead down range that is in my hands is better than a shotgun sitting locked in a safe that only gets pulled out to get drooled on every now and then.

My Browning doesn't sit in a safe to only come out and get drooled on - it gets shot - a LOT and several times per week - it is the quality build that let's me do that

drsfmd
August 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
My Browning doesn't sit in a safe to only come out and get drooled on - it gets shot - a LOT and several times per week - it is the quality build that let's me do that

Yup... no safe queens here either. For the record, 2k is just scratching the surface of "decent" when it comes to competition shotguns. Most good ones are north of $10,000.

MCgunner
August 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
Well, if I were at all interested in shotgun competition, I'd worry about it. I ride a street bike that cost me 6K. I rode a race bike that cost 25K and it was a 250. It was worthless on the street even if it could have been made street legal. The street bike won't win races, but sure got me to work on time.

One_Jackal
August 16, 2012, 03:52 PM
I would be careful with a new stoeger. I have seen 2 with my own eyes that had a bulged barrel and have heard of others. Stoeger did replace the barrels without question. Stoeger is trying to build a lighter shotgun. The barrels are a little thicker than the security barrel on my maverick 88. A barrel that light is not going to stand 200 or 300 rounds a day going downrange.

Red Cent
August 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
Loose Noose beat me to it. You see a fair number of 311s in cowboy. I have had a 311 for about 30 years. Don't know about the rest of 'em, but I have never had a problem withmine.
No, I have never shot mine a whole lot. Maybe a couple of hundred rounds a year way back when.
The older Baikal is liked in cowboy because the lockup and ejectors are not in the way.I set up a Spartan for competition. Cut the ejector in half and had the top half welded (spot) to the barrels. Made funnels out of the loading end of the barrels, and installed that neat little kit from Brownells that makes the gun stay open.
But you guys are doing it again. He wants a cheap double barrel. Not a Ljutic, a Perazzi, and not a Bruce Bowen. Just a cheap shotgun. You can buy a lot of triggers, hammers, or springs rather than buy a Bowen.
CCSniper, if you have a cowboy club or two around you, go ask them. Some may have graduated to a '97 pump:evil:.

Geordie
August 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.allans-armory.com/aa.php try here

danez71
August 17, 2012, 12:48 AM
This is the OP

I really wanted to get a double barrel shotgun, but I don't want to spend that much.
Are there any cheap companies making them? (Preferably about 200$)
If not, what do you expect I would be paying for a crusty rusty used one from the gun show?

Thanks,

The OP is lookinng for some input in the $200 range; not $2000+ or competition gun suggestions.

I dont see any where in that post that even hints at either.

Way to help the new member :scrutiny:

OP, I dont know shot guns. I bought my 1st one this year; a SxS coach USSG/Bakail.

Apparently I bought it to play John Wayne... I thought I bought as a packable travel gun and to have fun with; not to be made fun of. :rolleyes:

What barrel length are you looking for... what do you want to use it for?

Maybe more helpful answers will come.

saturno_v
August 17, 2012, 03:05 AM
I had a lot of fun when at the trap range when with my used $90 Mossberg 500 I did often outshoot many folks showing up with 6K Perazzis et similar......:D

I remember this lady which had a pair of gloves alone probably worth more than my shottie.....she was lucky to hit 10 birds per run...

Pete D.
August 17, 2012, 05:11 AM
I really like SXSs. I have yet to see one in my neck of the woods (PA) for $200. There was a 311 available in a LGS for $265; it sat on the shelf for years. Maybe it should have been priced lower.

I had a lot of fun when at the trap range when with my used $90 Mossberg 500 I did often outshoot many folks showing up with 6K Perazzis et similar......

I remember this lady which had a pair of gloves alone probably worth more than my shottie.....she was lucky to hit 10 birds per run...
Getting off topic.....some people have more money than skill. That says nothing about the quality of a high end gun.
Better to look at what the winners are shooting. Look at the recent Olympics....how many of those fine shooters were using a Mossberg?
Our Kim Rhode used a Perazzi for years....it had a million shells through it when it was stolen (She got it back.).

Griffin2004
August 17, 2012, 08:37 PM
Being an engineer and knowing nothing about shotguns but a tad about arithmetic, I pulled out the calculator and said:
2012 - 1994 = 18 years
18 years x 365 days/years = 6570 days
240,000 rounds in 18 years is:
240,000/6570 = better than 36 rounds a day
That's without a day off, no sick days, no vacations, and shooting even on rainy and bad weather days.

Most avid shooters might go to the range or hunt 3 days a week on average.

I believe I would have to call on that 240,000 rounds fired since 1994.

ccsniper
August 17, 2012, 09:20 PM

thats really possible, especially if you can afford a $2000+ shotgun. My friends and I would each buy two 100 round boxes from walmart for 20 bucks a piece and end up shooting around a 1000 rounds in a day back when we were in High school. We did that about once a week

Larry Ashcraft
August 17, 2012, 09:27 PM
I'll let oneounce answer on his own, but I think your theory is flawed.
That's without a day off, no sick days, no vacations, and shooting even on rainy and bad weather days.
Nothing was said about shooting every day. For instance, I have a friend who owns a business and can only shoot on Sundays. He's not married and his only hobby is shooting Sporting Clays and Five Stand on Sundays.

On an average Sunday he might shoot three rounds of SC and a couple of rounds of five stand. And that's a leisurely pace, with plenty of time for lunch and visiting with other shooters.

That's 350 rounds on a typical Sunday, so with a few bad weather Sundays thrown in, he would still be above your 36 rounds/day average.

And if he had all weekend off, and liked skeet and trap as well, the count could easily double.

oneounceload
August 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
Griffin - There was a time I averaged almost 20,000 a year - shooting sporting clays 2 times per week, plus league plus practice, I was shooting an average of 4 days per week. 500+ plus rounds per week times 40 weeks = 20,000/year, easily done time-wise

I had the gun rebuilt at 90,000 rounds many years ago - still going strong, and that doesn't include my other shotguns I use for hunting

When you factor the costs - the gun was $1000 as discontinued model.

Added: 240,000 targets at an average cost of .25/target = $60,000. Add in the ammo at the same average cost, another $60,000. Total of $120,000 - so spending 1,000 to 10,000 for a quality gun that will last becomes a bit moot

GRIZ22
August 18, 2012, 12:56 AM
I bought a servicable 311 20 ga not that long ago for $100.

Sav .250
August 18, 2012, 08:16 AM
Try your local Gun Show.........if you have any. :)

riader13
August 18, 2012, 09:04 AM
Anyone have experience with Mossberg Silver Series?
I need a reasonably price gun to shoot around 1,000 rouns a year.

oneounceload
August 18, 2012, 11:19 AM
What is your budget and what do you want to shoot at?

Mike Sr.
August 18, 2012, 12:03 PM
Come on Grizz ""I bought a servicable 311 20 ga not that long ago for $100. "" .....the exception not the rule...you had a dumb seller and you knew it!

You could not buy my 3, 311 20's and 410 anywere near the 200 mark. Had them for 50 yrs and have hundreds if not a few thousand rounds thru them without a hick-up and they are sweet to look at..... the only and last American made SxS shotgun.

And American made is enuff for me!

-----------------------------------

riader13
August 18, 2012, 12:44 PM
Will shoot some trap and pheasant.
Budget? Not sure. But if i shoot 500-1,000 rounds a year what's really needed?
Would a $600 Mossberg Silver Series be enough or would i be better off with a used Citori, if i could find one for a similar price?

oneounceload
August 18, 2012, 01:51 PM
You could not buy my 3, 311 20's and 410 anywere near the 200 mark. Had them for 50 yrs and have hundreds if not a few thousand rounds thru them without a hick-up and they are sweet to look at..... the only and last American made SxS shotgun.

And American made is enuff for me!

Then you need to check out CSMC:
http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/

Besides their RBL and Galazan models, they also make the AH Fox

riader - if you are dead set on some form of O/U for 600, check out CDNN and the Lanber from Spain. If you can find a used Citori, or a SKB, you'll have a great gun that will last

You need to check out CSMC
http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/

Larry Ashcraft
August 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
If you can find a used Citori
We picked up a very nice (as in 95%+ and not broken in yet) 20 ga Citori for $600 a few weeks ago. It's pre-Invector (1981), but it's choked IC and Mod, so that shouldn't be a problem. It also came with a Decelerator and a nice canvas and leather case. This one is going to be the wife's SC gun as soon as it comes back from getting the LOP shortened.

I think Invectors were introduced about 1983, so most Citoris after that date are going to be more valuable.

MCgunner
August 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Apparently I bought it to play John Wayne... I thought I bought as a packable travel gun and to have fun with; not to be made fun of.

That is precisely why I wanted my Remington Spartan (Baikal) 20 gauge coach gun, because I was riding my GoldWing up to Waco some years back with my Winchester 1400 in a gun case strapped on the back and i was paranoid to leave the bike to go in a convenience store. Then I got to thinkin' about if I had trouble and needed to catch a ride, what would I do? The little 20 locked up in the top case of that Wing. I don't own the Wing anymore, but it fits in an innocent looking back pack which I could take with me if I had trouble. I've been shooting it at doves for about 5 years now, many limit days under its belt. It's a fine shooting little gun and only ran me 300 bucks. If I have one criticism of it, was fit and the whippy nature of the little short shotgun, but I shimmed it to fit pretty well and I knew it'd take some getting used to going in, trade off for its compact size. I have shot 50 percent with it on dove and that's about as good as I do with my 12 gauge Winchester gas gun and its 28" tube. I just have to concentrate a little more on swing and follow through. The gun itself has given me NO trouble, is a sturdy built gun if not the prettiest. It is a utilitarian gun for me. You're not going to get hand checkered walnut and engraving for 300 bucks, ya know. I didn't buy it for cosmetics, bought it to USE and had a niche to fill.

oneounceload
August 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
I didn't buy it for cosmetics, bought it to USE and had a niche to fill.

As did I with my Browning - guns of many types and price ranges can fill that bill

MCgunner
August 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
Well, in my case, the bill I had to fill is the gun, disassembled quickly, had to fit inside a 24" long top box. None of my repeaters wold do that, either piece disassembled. My other double has 28" barrels. I really didn't want an H&R single shot for this. :D The Spartan worked out for me. I'm sure it's not the first choice of Olympic skeet shooters, but that's okay since I'm not shooting skeet and, I suspect, neither is the OP, call it a hunch.

oneounceload
August 18, 2012, 08:32 PM
McG - if what you got worked out or you, then that is what counts

JohnBT
August 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
"you had a dumb seller and you knew it"

Around here $100 would have qualified for a really dumb seller. I was talking 311's with my uncle today and we agreed we hadn't seen a decent 12 ga. for less than $300 is a long time. (Decent = still has most of the finish)

He's got me looking for one for him now; a .410 SxS with a Tenite stock. :) He's 80, he can shoot what he wants.

John

P.S. - He bought a 311 20 ga. in the early '50s and I was once again unsuccessful at getting it away from him. Pfui. But it was fun trying over a light lunch of pork and gravy, creamed corn, green beans, cole slaw, biscuits and more gravy. And five kinds of sweets.

A cousin tried to buy his first-year BAR .30-06 yesterday. No, no, no. Mine. If I live long enough. :)

drsfmd
August 18, 2012, 11:44 PM
Being an engineer and knowing nothing about shotguns but a tad about arithmetic, I pulled out the calculator and said:
2012 - 1994 = 18 years
18 years x 365 days/years = 6570 days
240,000 rounds in 18 years is:

Most avid shooters might go to the range or hunt 3 days a week on average.

I believe I would have to call on that 240,000 rounds fired since 1994.

Divide that number by 25 (a round of skeet or trap) and you'll see that means 9,600 rounds of skeet or trap. Divided by 18 (years), it's 533.33 rounds per year. Divide that by 52 (weeks), it's only 10.25 boxes a week... 256 shells. A small handful more than a flat of shells.

A flat of shells a week is nothing for a serious shooter.

Before kids, I was shooting 6 days a week. A minimum of 100 shells at a time, 150 shells at least two of those days. I did that for 17 years until my first child was born. That's a conservative 618,000 shells.

Parenthood, in both time commitment and the associated financial implications has forced me to cut down to about 20,000 shells a year for the last 6 years. That's another 120,000 shells.

738,000 shells in 23 years... and I know people who shoot more (and for longer) than I do.

240,000 rounds? No big deal...

jamesb
August 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
I have had very good luck with zastava doubles. I have 2, not the prettiest girls in my safe but they work like dogs for me. They do well on the wobble trap range and take down squirrels and rabbit just fine. They both were under $200.00.

Burt Blade
August 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
I have found used Stoegers, Stevens, etc in pawn shops at reasonable prices on occasion. One of my current Cowboy shotguns is a pawn shop $250 Stoeger Uplander 24" side by side choked IC and M. It is an older gun, with the original stamping "E. R. AMANTINO", and tagged as such, which is probably why it was $250, not $350-$400. It has been used in Cowboy matches for 5 years. Still good. Works decently from the 16 yard line in Trap.

If you bargain hunt second-hand guns, you can find decent side by sides under $300. Finding them at $200 is possible, but does not happen very often. In addition to pawnshops, try the classified ads in a newspaper under sporting goods. Some folks are getting rid of an old back-of-the-closet burglar gun. On rare occasions, they turn up at yard or estate sales.

JohnBT
August 19, 2012, 07:07 PM
I would like to know which states to look in.

John

oneounceload
August 21, 2012, 11:31 PM
So would I, but then I want clarification about what constitutes a "decent" SxS.

There are the AyA models made for Sears in the 50sand 60s that are a good deal, and they are in that low range and handle nicely

drsfmd
August 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
So would I, but then I want clarification about what constitutes a "decent" SxS.

There are the AyA models made for Sears in the 50sand 60s that are a good deal, and they are in that low range and handle nicely

Agreed on both counts-- it would seem that for some "decent" means "goes bang", with no further criteria of quality.

The AyA 100, if you can find one, is one of the best deals out there.

MCgunner
August 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
Agreed on both counts-- it would seem that for some "decent" means "goes bang", with no further criteria of quality.

Well, when the OP states the category is to be 200 bucks or less, would seem to me the primary requisite would be to go bang. :D What more can you expect for 200 bucks? Heck, finding a decent quality 200 dollar PUMP is tough enough. LOL

JohnBT
August 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
I got my 12 ga. Rem Exp Magnum on sale for $199.95 and thought I stole it two days before Christmas. They were marked down that week from $219.95.

In 1993.

MCgunner
August 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah, but you can pick up 870s and Mossbergs all day long in pawn shops for 200 or so. Dang hard to find a USED cheap double for 200 bucks that even goes bang. 311s go for 300 and up around here.

There's always Maverick, I guess. I don't own one. The tang safety on the Mossberg is worth the extra money to me if nothing else. Lefties can't compromise on such things. :D

I gave about 200 for my Mossberg camo 500 in 1992...but I had a FFL and got it at dealer and on sale at that!

oneounceload
August 23, 2012, 09:56 AM
Looking online, I have seen the aforementioned AyAs going for 2-300 bucks. Yes they are 50-60 years old, but most are in good condition with well-regulated barrels and designed for the States with pistol grips and beavertails

Salmoneye
August 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
Forgot till now...

Zabala imported by Richland...

ElToro
August 24, 2012, 11:47 PM
Kim rhode gets her ammo and perazzi free. 1 million rounds is a testament to that high end gun though. although target shot shells are not nearly the pressures that a rifle is. So lower quality steel could last longer even in a high use gun. Hmm my lgs has a Steve s 311 20 for $200.... Not the Winchester 21 I would prefer but It would be plenty serviceable for years. Maybe I shoot 100 rounds or so of skeet or trap every few months plus I'm still working the same box of game loads for hunting pheasants the last 4 seasons. And have had or given away at least a dozen or so pheasant dinners. My used 870s Probly will last a few lifetimes at that rate

Just last week bought an 870 express 28 inch 12 ga. Wood furniture. $200 used and if it's seen any shots at all I'd be surprised. No brass marks at all on the shell lifter. was at one of my local shops and like I need another 12 ga 870. I couldn't pass it like new for only 200. Hell I could part out the barrel magnum receiver and stock set for almost double that Still in California gun jail

Anyway. To the op shop around. Deals are out there. Increasing your budget by a few hundred more can get you into a used browning or other top quality gun

MCgunner
August 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
Just last week bought an 870 express 28 inch 12 ga. Wood furniture. $200 used and if it's seen any shots at all I'd be surprised. No brass marks at all on the shell lifter. was at one of my local shops and like I need another 12 ga 870. I couldn't pass it like new for only 200.

USED deals are out there on pumps. I picked up a similar condition Mossberg 535 a few months back for 170 bucks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap double barrel shotguns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!