Help me pick - Glock 19 vs 23

PDA

edwardcii
August 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Trust me, I am not trying to start another caliber war. I am picking up a new glock on saturday, and can't decide whether to go with the M19 or M23, both new Gen 4. What would you do in my shoes?

Here is some background on me.
I currently own the following:
17 - Gen 4
26 - Gen 4
20 - Gen 3

I have shot the G23 and G22, but not in Gen 4. I actually owned a G23 Gen 3and sold it because I needed some cash.

The primary use of the new gun? Daily concealed carry. Don't get me wrong, I love the G26. But I want something bigger for carry with a little more capacity (I do carry a spare G17 mag).

Obviously, the G19 has some benefits. I can share mags with the 17, I have tons of ammo, the recoil feels much less, and ammo is cheaper. Lots of demand for the G19 if I ever want to sell it. I use speer gold dot 124 +p, so it's an adequate round.

While I always hear you can get more practice with the 9mm because it's cheaper, I don't think that's totally accurate if you have other guns to plink with. Reason is, people typically practice with the cheap 115 gr stuff, which is probably not what they actually carry. I haven't found a cheap 124 +p round to practice with. On the other hand, with my speer gold dot 180gr for the 40, I can get some wally world 180 gr stuff and will give me a closer "feel" of what I would carry in the 40.

But, the G23 is making this decision hard for me. It's only got two less rounds, the 40 is more powerful (my favorite comment from someone else is that you always hear that the 9mm is almost or just as good as the 40, but you never hear it the way around), and heck, while the recoil is worse, I can handle it. I am a big guy. Although of course, follow up shots will be slightly slower. And I do believe it is a good compromise between the 9mm and 45 (which I also owned), as it is more power than the 9 while still being high capacity in a smaller package.

At the end of the day, I will eventually probably have both in gen 4. But this Saturday, I have to pick one for now.

So in my shoes, what would your pick be between the two? And no, I am not considering any other ones at this time. And no, I would not carry the 17.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick - Glock 19 vs 23" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
edwardcii
August 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
by the way, it's been great reading everyone's feedback over the years. While I have only just registered, this is my favorite place to read everyone else's opinion. hopefully will get some good feedback for my purchase this saturday.

in case you can't tell, i am leaning towards the m19. but the extra kick from the 23 (and from my m20, you can probably tell I do have a thing for more power) and the fact that most LEO use it (i know, some bureacracy and politics in the decision) is getting to me. But a G23 is harder to sell than a g19. While I am fine with the recoil, most prefer the 9mm.

TAKtical
August 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
I like the 19. .40 does nothing for me. I dont view 9mm as underpowered like some here do. Increased mag capacity is much more important to me even if its only 2-3 rounds.

edwardcii
August 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
I agree with you TAK, I am a big fan of the 9MM.

I keep telling myself I need a 40 though. But in no ways do I believe a 9mm is underpowered (at least compared to other handgun calibers).

However, I do believe that the 40 is more powerful, just as I believe the 45 is even more powerful than the 40.

mdThanatos
August 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
Just a quick question, does it have to be a Gen 4? Regardless of the Gen, while I really like my 23 I'd go with the 19 for carry for the fact that it holds a couple more than the 23 and if you needed extra you can use the 17 mags with it so at the very least you will have 4 magazines (assuming that the 17 already has 2 stock and the 19 comes with 2) ready to go instead of just having 2 mags for the 23.

edwardcii
August 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
good point Thanatos.

Yes, both would be Gen 4s. Both come with 3 magazines, so if I got the G23, I would have to pick up one extra magazine (I like to have at least 4 to cycle them).

edwardcii
August 16, 2012, 02:36 PM
Mods - sorry, I probably posted this in the wrong forum. Please feel free to move as appropriate - I am guessing "General Gun Discussion"?

FMF Doc
August 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
I had the same choice to make a couple of weeks ago. I picked the G19. I don't own a 17 but still have some mags from an old 34. I also don't own a 26, but do own a S&W M&P Shield9. I like only having a few calibers to have to stock. I stick with 9mm in my pistols. If you put the rounds where they need to be, the caliber is much less important. Also If you want somw cheap 124+p 9mm to practice with try the NATO 124. It isn't +P technically, but it feels a lot like it as it is a hotter load. And you can find it at a lot of gunshows as Mil Sup for about the same price as Wally World WWB.

edwardcii
August 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Doc. Will go to a gun show to check out the NATO ammo. They are pretty much every weekend here in Dallas!

still cant decide on the glock 19 or 23. I have the feeling that whichever I pick, I will buy the other one when I can afford it.

The other thing I have been thinking about is selling the G17 gen 4, then picking up both a 19 and 23.

GLOOB
August 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'd probably get the 23. Then I'd keep an eye out for an older G19 with the frying pan finish.

bodam
August 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
Funny, I am in Houston, and I was just thinking about listing my Gen 4 23 for sale here...

kingkeoni
August 16, 2012, 02:51 PM
This debate has raged on for as long as people have had choices.

I went through the same dilemma many years ago.

More power? More capacity? Less recoil? Cost of ammo?

In the end, I asked myself, if I only had the ability to take one well placed shot in a split second, what caliber would I want?

I carry a 23 daily.

edwardcii
August 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
Bodam, you could probably get much more for it on Texas Gun Trader than you could from me :)

I pay $460 all in for my new gen 4s, and I bet you could get at least $500 for yours on the site.

king, now you got me leaning to a 23. Although - I hope I am never in a situation where I feel a need to draw my weapon outside of the range or a course, but if I did, I imagine I would need more than 1 shot to stop the threat.

1KPerDay
August 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
Another thing to consider is the 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel for practice/plinking/whatever.

h0use
August 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
I went with the glock23 and got my self a 9mm barrel. Best of both worlds.

JWJacobVT
August 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
I agree 23 and a 9mm barrel. However for daily carry make it the glock 20....Just saying. LOL

edwardcii
August 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
i actually did carry the 20 for a while. i did it in a backpack every now and then. Ive learned the 26 is much easier :)

coalman
August 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
G19. Stay 9mm given what you have. The .40sw offers nothing that warrents a whole new caliber in your Glock stable.

jfrey
August 16, 2012, 08:25 PM
I agree----get the G19 and save money on ammo.

The_Armed_Therapist
August 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
I'm a .40sw guy, but I'd say stick with the 9mm and go G19. Sharing mags is one heck of a benefit!

nathan
August 17, 2012, 01:13 AM
I have both guns in gen 3 version. I carry the 23 , now loaded with hornady critical duty ammo. The 19 stay s in the bedside bec it has night sights loade with Speer 124 gr JHP plus P GD.
70 percent of the time i carry my Russian Makarov with Barnaul JHPs.
30 percent of the time i carry the Glock 23 especially going out of town and with family outings.
In my opinion, go with the bigger .40, its the new 9 mm craze they said. It sure is nice to have that extra power factor when life is on the line.

WinThePennant
August 17, 2012, 10:38 AM
I think it's best to standardize on the same caliber. For me, that's 9mm. The advantages of 9mm over others are (namely the .40 and .45), IMHO, fairly large when you consider the improvements made in recent years to JHP ammo.

Muzzle flip is small.
Capacity is much larger.
Ammo is "cheap" to practice with.

rem44m
August 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
Go with the g23 and get a lone wolf conversion barrel. Then you have both!

fxstchewy
August 17, 2012, 01:09 PM
I like and want both so i am no help :D, but i have a G17, G23, G26 and want a G19.

edwardcii
August 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
the neverending "debate"!

I am now leaning towards the 23. They have the 19 on hold for me, but the 23 is not in stock so would have to wait a few weeks.

Reasons for 23 - I already have the 26 if I want to carry a 9mm (and also a 17). If I get the 19, I am stuck with the 9mm for carry (which is very good, but limits my options). I don't have any other easily concealable calibers for carry.

On the other hand, if I get the 23, I can have my choice of what to carry. If after hundreds of rounds, I really feel I am better with a 9mm, then I will stick with my 26 until I can afford the 19 (and possibly sell the 23). If I get pretty comfortable with the 40 (which I suspect I will, I plan to put several hundred rounds through it after I get it), then I will start carrying the 40.

I think the differences between the two calibers are minimal, but still exist.

X-Rap
August 17, 2012, 02:23 PM
My favorite is a G2 19 but I have a couple 17's, 32, 22, 21 and have given my boys a 23 and 22 with the recomendation to get 9mm barrels and mags.
I find that I like the G2's better for carry and the 9 just shoots great for me, I reload so to me it would be almost a toss up.

MK11
August 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
Nothing wrong with being "stuck" with 9mm for carry. The 19 and 23 are the same size--if you're going to bring another caliber into the equation, I'd suggest something that fills a completely different role (such as a j frame or LCR).

WinThePennant
August 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
Nothing wrong with being "stuck" with 9mm for carry. The 19 and 23 are the same size--if you're going to bring another caliber into the equation, I'd suggest something that fills a completely different role (such as a j frame or LCR).
Good advice.

I also carry a .380, but that's a S&W BG380 that is used ONLY when I'm wearing extremely light clothing. Literally, shorts, T-shirt, and sandals.

newglockguy
August 17, 2012, 04:31 PM
I've shot both and personally I like the 23. You can buy mags from the G22 which are 15 rounds and have the same amount as the 19. They fit just fine but the downside is since the G22 is a full size the magazine will be sticking out of the bottom.

breacher
August 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
don't buy either.

put the 4 or 5 benjamins towards a ton of ammo to feed the pistols you already own :)

edwardcii
August 18, 2012, 12:31 PM
Got the 23 today. Need to sell my 20 now for the cash lol. Oh well - the 20 became a safe queen because its hard to carry in a Texas summer. Would keep them all if I could afford to.

I came to my decision because I already have a 26. With the extensions on it, the grip is similar to a 19. With the 23, i get the power of a 40 in a concealable package. I believe the 9 is a great round and have carried that most of the time and will continue to. Now I have a choice of that or the 40.

If I didn't have 2 9mms already, would have probably gone with the 19. Keeping the 17 as a hd gun. Alternate bw 26 and 23 for carry once I put some rounds through the new gun.

Thanks for all the comments. I am happy with my choice for now.

bds
August 18, 2012, 12:36 PM
FWIW, I have G22/G23/G27 and use 40-9 conversion barrels to shoot cheaper 9mm rounds for range practice but carry 40S&W.

G23 barrel will work in G27, but G22 barrel won't work in G23/G27. ;)

If I have feeding issues with 40 caliber Glock mags, I use 9mm mags.

The Man With No Name
August 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
I am an leo and carry a 23C off duty. Most of the ones I know that carry one on duty use a 19 because that is the standard detective gun in my agency. Personally I could have either a 23 or 19 and be happy. I gravitate to towards the 23 because I prefer the more powerful round and with a C model recoil is very controllable even in extreme rapid fire for me. With the right ammo (CorBon 135 grain JHP) it generates 500 ft pounds at the muzzle if power is a concern.

edwardcii
August 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
took it to the range. The glock 19 and 23 are both great guns, and I am very happy that i got the 23. I'd be pretty happy with the 19 too, but the 23 was the right choice for me.

I shot the 17 and 26 with some speer gold dot 124 +p. Shot some speer gold dot 180 in the 23. I dont normally shoot this ammo, but since I haven't run it yet through my glocks, thought it was a great opportunity to do so.

To be honest, I didn't notice the difference in recoil between the +p 9mm ammo and the 40 ammo. However, my fiancee definitely noticed it and didnt want to shoot more than one mag of the 40. So, there is likely a difference, but I didn't feel the difference. But, I am also much larger than my fiancee.

I didn't get to test rapid fire drills, but I dont feel that I would much slower (if at all) with the 40 than with the 9mm +p.

While the 9mm is definitely cheaper for target practice, since I am using +p in my carry, I think shooting the 40 might be even better practice for my 23 and my 17 and 26 (the recoil feels much closer than my target 9mm rounds). There is a stark contrast in the recoil of my target 9mm rounds vs my 9mm +p carry ammo.

IMHO, I echo other people and believe that everyone should carry the caliber they are most comfortable with. There is not one caliber that works for everyone, some will prefer 9mm, some 40, some 45, and some 357. Heck, some 223 or 12ga lol.

I got the 23, and after the range test, it was the right one for me. I like the 40 and will not feel underpowered with the 9mm +p rounds. I do think the 40 is more versatile, but recoil could be an issue for most.

Dreamliner787
August 20, 2012, 08:52 AM
G23 with 9mm conversion barrel.

nathan
August 21, 2012, 03:08 PM
My glock 23 gen 3 shoots fantastic.

TMann
August 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
Given the lack of hard data to "prove" that 9mm is just as good as a .40, OR that .40 is better than 9mm...

And given that you seem to want to get a .40 S&W...

And given that you have other 9mm Glocks to practice with...

And given that you can always get a 9mm conversion barrel and a .357 Sig barrel for a G23...

I think that you should get the 23. Some people like to consolidate all of their handguns to one caliber, while others like to have a variety of calibers in their stable. You seem like you're in the second category, so I think that you should go with the 23.

There. That was easy. :)

TMann

(BTW, I have both a G19 and a G23, so I guess that I'm also one of those that likes the variety.)

EDIT: Oops. I just read your most recent post where you told us that you got the G23. Good choice!

Knockdownpower
August 21, 2012, 04:59 PM
Flip a coin, you can't go wrong.

CPshooter
August 21, 2012, 06:13 PM
It's amazing how many people will post without reading through the thread. OP already made his decision people.

I think it was a good call. You already have a 26, so I can see why you would skip the slightly larger 19 in the same caliber. I know if I had both sitting in front of me and had to choose one for IWB concealed carry, I'd go with the smaller 26 every time. I don't feel that it sacrifices anything to the 19 other than the few extra rounds I'll never need to get to in a defensive situation. At least the 23 gives you some incentive to carry something different . Nothing wrong with that IMO. Besides, you can always get a 19 later. :-)

briang2ad
August 21, 2012, 08:23 PM
Get to a range.

Put 200 rounds through BOTH - find a buddy, rent, etc. Just do it.

Use a proper technique. Shoot a few 10 round groups. Do some follow up work. Push a little.

You will likely shoot the 9mm better.

All pistol calibers a weak. The difference between the 9mm and 40 is a blip. But everyone will shoot the 9mm better.

wow6599
August 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
The G19 is a 9mm
The G23 is a .40 S&W

Do you want a 9 or 40?

TreeDoc
August 22, 2012, 05:26 PM
Get the 23, try it out, keep it or add it to your rotation. I have tried several different carry guns and like the 26 the best, but still have a S&W 638, and a Ruger sp101 357.

mdThanatos
August 22, 2012, 05:45 PM
I believe he already purchased the 23.....

Wildbillz
August 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
Several months ago I went through the same drill. I ended up with both. But I did like this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmkGgQLCMA&feature=plcp

On the other hand I have no use for the 26 or 27. There just to fat for there size. I think Glock missed the mark for the CCW market with them but for the police that might need to use a duty mag in a back up I guess its a win.

Now if they could have gotten 10 rounds (maybe just 9 or even 8) of 45acp into a Glock 19 profile pistole I think that would have been great.

Just my .02
WB

jskibs
August 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
I think the 27 is the most useful pistol Glock makes. It will take conversion barrels for 9mm or 357 Sig. Keep the stock mags for concealment or get extended mag plates for a full hand grip. Buy a 22 round in 40 or 33 round in 9mm for range fun. Not a pocket pistol but it does everything else fairly well.

Wildbillz
August 22, 2012, 09:33 PM
jskibs
They sure sell enough of them. I am just saying for me it is not the best bet. If it were slimer I would think that it would work better. But like I said its just preferance.

WB

edwardcii
August 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

Love the 23, was exactly what I wanted. As much as I like the 19, I already have a 26 and 17 (both of which I intend to keep). With the grip extension, the 26 has plenty of handle for me and allows for 12 rounds of 124 +p. So, the 9mm was already covered.

The 23 has given me a great alternative if I feel like carrying something a little bigger with a little more power. Very happy with it, and at least as of now, if I could only have one glock, it would be the 23. The 26 is very close behind.

edwardcii
August 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
WB - agree with your statement about more rounds of 45 in the 19/23 frame. The 30 is a tad too thick for my tastes.

edwardcii
August 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
CP Shooter - exactly what I was thinking. In 9mm, I think I actually prefer the 26 over the 19. In 40, I prefer the 23 over the 27.

The grip extensions on the 26 make the difference for me.

TMann
August 30, 2012, 05:45 PM
I mainly shoot 9 mm's and have a G19, a Walther PPS and a Kel-Tec P380 as my main carry/SD guns.

My local gunshop recently had a great deal on a G32 (compact .357 Sig) with an extra .40 barrel and extra mags. The G32/.40 barrel combo instantly gave me the option of two new calibers. I'm all ready for the next ammo shortage. ;)

TMann

orionengnr
August 30, 2012, 10:26 PM
I have owned both a G23 (first) and a G19 (next).
I no longer own either, but that is largely beside the point.

When I was an ammo consumer (prior to being a handloader) I owned a number of different chamberings, and was regularly disappointed by the lack of availability and price of the ammo available.

These days I can buy and stack components, and load when I need ammo.
Most of what I see tells me that the 9mm and the .40 are very close to interchangeable.

I purged the .40 (and several other chamberings) before I started handloading. But I kept the 9mm and the .45 acp.

Some would choose to keep the .40 and purge the 9mm and the .45acp, and I can see that position.

Given your two options, I would go with the G19.
Best regards, Rich

jhinish
December 31, 2012, 06:10 PM
I ride around all the time in a wheel chair and carry the Glock 23 gen4 and love it. 13 rounds and one in the chamber. Had a Ghost trigger package added, put jhp 135 grain 40 S&W for a great carry equalizer since I can not run.

newglockguy
December 31, 2012, 06:36 PM
I lean towards the 23 because it's what I learned to shoot with first. There are an abundance of 9mm conversion barrels for you to chose from if you go that way. On the other hand if you really like the 9mm there is nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of solid self defense loads available out there for you

meanmrmustard
December 31, 2012, 08:17 PM

I've owned the 23, not impressed with .40

If I want power through penetration, I'll take the 32.

Hit_Factor
December 31, 2012, 08:57 PM
IThere are an abundance of 9mm conversion barrels for you to chose from if you go that way.

Don't forget to also change the extractor and ejector for reliability. Every time I write this advice, and someone writes about how reliable the conversion has been without changing those parts. I'm glad for them.

Glock 19 is easier to shoot and you get two extra rounds. Good hits on target score better than poor hits, it's really that simple.

It's my understanding that the 19 outsells the next most popular model by a 6 to 1 ratio.

Leave the 40 and 357 to the pros that need the offensive power and receive the training to use these calibers.

Inebriated
December 31, 2012, 10:32 PM
I just want to point out that anyone who shoots .40 well will shoot 9mm better. Simple as that. Add to that the fact that 9x19 and .40S&W are very similar performers, and you have my answer... G19.

If you want a real power increase in a Glock, go to .357 Sig or 10mm... Both penetrate deeper, have more energy, and create larger temporary and permanent wound channels than 9x19, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

ChCx2744
January 1, 2013, 08:16 PM
I like both and own both. My room mate also had this same dilemma and ended up buying both. I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with that :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick - Glock 19 vs 23" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!