Who builds the best striker fired pistol and why?

PDA

Walking Dead
August 16, 2012, 11:12 PM

If you enjoyed reading about "Who builds the best striker fired pistol and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gunnutery
August 16, 2012, 11:24 PM
This will all probably come down to personal taste or experience, but I said Glock. Primarily for the reasonably priced aftermarket support as well as easily interchangable parts and ease of use and maintenance. Perhaps some of the others have those things as well, and to be fair to the others, Glock has been on the market much longer and therefore more aftermarket avaiablility.

As far as the others on the list, I'd also like to try the FNS without the manual safety. I've always liked that company as well, but have no real hands on experience with it.

Pukindog12
August 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
How did you manage to forget Walther? That would have been my choice.

SharpsDressedMan
August 16, 2012, 11:42 PM
Me too. Walther P99 or PPS. Both great guns.

jacob2745
August 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
I personally own a m&p 9c and i am thoroughly happy with it, but this is a just question of preference. You can get 10 different answers from 10 different people. I dont personally believe the m&p is that much better than the others. It is just what i prefer.

sidheshooter
August 17, 2012, 12:10 AM
Kahr is also missing from the poll. Not saying that they are the best, but they're worth considering, IMHO.

They redefined the word compact when they hit.

powwowell
August 17, 2012, 12:13 AM
I've owned 3 of these. Glock 19, M&P9 and the Ruger SRc. The Glock is the butt ugliest, ergonomic unfriendliest pistol I've ever had. But, it's the one I kept! So, Glock got my vote.

mgmorden
August 17, 2012, 12:14 AM
Poll is incomplete. Steyr, Caracal, Kahr, Walther, and Taurus (and I'm sure a few more) all have striker fired designs too.

That said, for the poll choices, I will admit that I've never handled nor fired an FNS or an XD. I own a Glock and M&P and have shot a Ruger SR9. Between them I prefer the M&P.

Ignoring price, between the SR9 and the Glock I'd say that the Glock is a better gun simply due to the lack of annoying features (shark-fin LCI, thumb safety, mag disconnect). If Ruger took those off I'd consider it every bit the gun that the Glock is, and even as-is I think that the annoyances are made up for by the difference in price (basically, I still think the Ruger SR9 is a better value).

Snag
August 17, 2012, 12:31 AM
Need more poll options, including an "other" option.

Kahr or Glock would be my choice.

Walking Dead
August 17, 2012, 09:10 AM
These are the options on the shelf at my LGS. I guess I should start another poll on who I left off this one.

powder
August 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
Glock, it's the most combat ready pistol with parts availability for everything from sights to barrel conversions to holsters.

MyGreenGuns
August 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
Didnt vote~
Springfield XD (But not the "m")
Why: very good ergonomics, point shoots very naturally

Havent handled the FN or the M&P yet.

Fishbed77
August 17, 2012, 10:10 AM
This poll is flawed since Walther (who makes some of the world's best striker-fired pistols - the P99, PPQ, and PPS) is not an option.

coalman
August 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
Glock. Simple. Cheap. Reliable. Durable. Tons of accessories. No pins for detail strip.

tarosean
August 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
M&Pc

Ergonomics, Aesthetics, Size

45_auto
August 17, 2012, 03:10 PM
Glock.

Ergonomics, aesthetics, size.

silicosys4
August 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
You forgot Steyr. The m40 has a very nice glock-esque trigger, and pulls much better than any glock I've tried.

Fiv3r
August 17, 2012, 03:56 PM
Well I have always found Glocks to be ugly, soulless pieces of plastic. They have zero sex appeal and beyond a cheap colored plate on the back of the slide, there aren't many aftermarket ways to make it "yours".

A Glock is a Glock is a Glock. Be it one with night sights, or a 3.5# disconnect, etc. Boring, uninspired pieces of polymer where a "parent" would have a hard time picking out their "children" from a line up.

...but I'll be damned if I don't own three of them:evil: I hate it, but I love them. The ease of maintenance, the quick field strip, the round count that they handle without needing major work. I'm also a huge Ruger fan. I had an SR9 that peened. Sold it. I handled a P95. Nice gun, but not my favorite.

Glocks are NOT perfection. Hell, they might not even be the "best", but they work for me, and when I shop for a striker fired gun it's a good bet that I'm coming home with a Glock.

academy
August 17, 2012, 05:50 PM
Walther. Everything a Glock wishes it could be.

19-3Ben
August 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
Best for.... what purpose?
I've found Kahr, especially the steel framed ones to be the most finely made of the striker fire pistols.
My M&P9 is one of the most comfortable guns to shoot that I own and as a combat pistol would take it in a heartbeat over a Glock, XD, etc... but that doesn't make it better. It just means it fits ME better. The guns are probably objectively the same level of quality.

zbird
August 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
Smith and wesson M&P builds the best striker fired pistol. Why? Because that's what I have.

dogsoldier0513
August 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
Your list doesn't list THE BEST 'striker-fired' auto: the Walther P99. The P99 is very ergonomic, lightweight, has THE best trigger of the lot, is scary accurate and has 2nd strike capability.

vic bastige
August 17, 2012, 06:36 PM
Walther PPQ is my vote

GLOOB
August 17, 2012, 07:40 PM
I didn't vote cuz I haven't actually fired or even handled them all. But Glocks are so simple, reliable, durable, and they have so much aftermarket support, I find it hard to believe that any of the others are a real improvement.

I'm curious why HK isn't on there. Or the Ruger P series and SW SV series; they're a great value. If I ever came across a good deal on a used P or SV, I'd jump on it just because.

So of the ones I've actually fired, I rate them Glock, XD, SV-9, Sigma, HK USP dead last.

ponchsox
August 17, 2012, 07:45 PM
You left out perhaps the best of them all, Walther (PPQ)

56hawk
August 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm curious why HK isn't on there.

Ditto, since I think most people would agree that the P7 series are the best striker fired pistols ever made.

Pops 1
August 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
The Ruger SR9c took the Glock to the next level, try it you will like it.

Rexster
August 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
If a long record for reliability and durability, plus the ability to be user-maintained, makes something the best, then the pre-Gen-4 Glock 17 is certainly up there. I say this as someone who really prefers the feel and features of other pistols; I am no fanboy. If a weapon has only been on the market a few years, it is perhaps presumptuous to say it can be the best, though it may attain that status over time.

I replied "Glock" in the poll, with the understanding that it primarily means the well-proven 9mm models. If I had to trust an auto-pistol, new, out of the box, with no chance to function-test it, it would be a 1st/2nd/3rd-Gen G17, preferably 3rd-Gen for the better fit in my hands.

Dudemeister
August 17, 2012, 11:17 PM
I'd vote, but you missed so many, especially the Walther P99. Probably the best striker fired pistol on the market today.

As for yesteryear, if not the best then the most famous, the Luger Parabellum.

Pilot
August 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
None of the above. HK P7.

Cherokee
August 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
I've fired the Glock and XDM, none of the others so I can't really say the "best". I will say, after test firing them, I bought two XDM 5.25's, a 9 & 45 and am very happy with them.

duns
August 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
I chose the Walther P99C AS as my striker fired pistol but it is not your list. No "other" category given either.

rem44m
August 18, 2012, 12:13 AM
Which striker pistol is the best for what application?

benzy2
August 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
I passed on voting since I don't have experience with them all. I shoot my M&P 9c with apex carry kit better than anything else I own. Can't explain it. Shouldn't happen. But that's what I've found. I can't say I've had a single problem with the glock I own. Can't say it does anything wrong. I can't say there's much wrong with the XD. I don't personally care for the grip safety but it's also never been something that has turned me off from a firearm. Realistically, outside of a Taurus I tried and a Sigma I really can't hate on anything and even those two did everything you could ask at the price they sell/sold for.

If you told me I could have only one, I'd keep my 9c, but I also wouldn't be upset if I had one of a number of others from multiple other companies. If you told me I could only have a Glock, or XD, or Walther, etc I wouldn't be upset at the single design I was given.

Marlin 45 carbine
August 18, 2012, 12:52 AM
steyr, hk, walther

tarosean
August 18, 2012, 01:46 AM
I rate them Glock, XD, SV-9, Sigma, HK USP dead last.

Interesting that you would rate a hammer fired gun in a thread about striker fired only.

o Unforgiven o
August 18, 2012, 01:59 AM
I voted XDm, here's why.

1. Aesthetics
Let's just get this out of the way now, it's a great looking gun. (Also no ugly warnings like a comparable M&P which really mattered to me)

2. Ergos
Feels great in my hand, has a nicely balanced feel and allows you a firm comfortable grip. Also has near industry standard interchangeable backstraps.

3. Fit & Finish
This is where it really shines, the attention to detail is excellent and no where on the gun will you find a blemish or flaw of any kind. Every piece of metal is smoothed, with no rough edges or machine marks to be found. Every inch of polymer looks like it was cast from a brand new mold, with no flash or imperfections whatsoever. The mags are also great, very high quality and will hold 16 rounds of .40 S&W. The case is also very well made.

4. Controls
The mag release is great, big enough to get good purchase on and drop mags easily while not getting in the way and is also ambi. Slide lock is nice too and again also big enough to easily manipulate while not getting in the way. The grip safety also works fine and has never been a problem. (I find that a lot of the people who says they don't like it or wish it wasn't there or imagine some scenario where it become a hindrance also thinks 1911's are great, so...)

5. Trigger
The trigger is nice out of the box, with just a little take-up and overtravel. On mine once the slack is taken up, there is a nice crisp (appr.) 5-6 lb break. Reset as claimed by SA is also very short which is nice for shooting fast. Similar trigger safety to Glock.

Overall, my XDm has been nothing short of excellent. It drips quality, and is a truly well made gun in every respect. Has everything I wanted in a handgun, and as equally important nothing I didn't. Critics will say it's unproven, or say it's crap because it's made in Croatia, and rag on the grip safety. To them I say, pound sand. Would I bet my life on this gun? You better believe it...

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/GTRGuy27/XDm40edit-1.jpg

Girodin
August 18, 2012, 06:20 AM
I own enough of the guns listed as well as some other striker fired guns not listed to be rather amused by anyone claiming a per se best. I wonder how many voting in this poll have even really used all the guns in it?

These questions should be what do you prefer and why, because that is what people are choosing. I have my preferences but I'd never say they are per se "best." Furthermore best is really hard to even make an argument for with out first answer best for what, and by what criteria is that determined. I'd happily carry a walther, a steyr, a glock, an HK, an M&P, etc and not lose any sleep over having one instead of the other.

The Man With No Name
August 18, 2012, 11:00 AM
Easily the Glock. The best support from both the manafacturer and aftermarket, undeniably the most proven gun that can go 100k plus without major repairs, and just plain works forever.

bds
August 18, 2012, 11:00 AM
Best striker fired pistol? Very interesting discussions/arguments so far.

I would have to say whichever pistol that produces the most consistent shot groups regardless of whether you shoot with both hands, one hand, strong/weak hand, limp-wristed (shooting hand injured), rapid-fire (panic shooting), fast draw, quick draw/shooting from the hip, sitting on a chair, from prone, on your back (shooting from bed), while moving and lastly but the most important, in low/no light situations where your life/family's lives are on the line.

For me, the pistol is a personal defensive weapon that must operate in all the adverse conditions with a very high level of reliability that allows the user to function with a degree of repeatability to actually HIT TARGETS! If you can't hit your targets with your "dream striker pistol" on a consistent basis, it does not matter who made it. For me, M&P45 for 45ACP and Glock 22/23/27 for 40S&W and 17/19/26 for 9mm.

ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING ... HOLES ON TARGET SPEAK VOLUMES!

This is the "High Road" forum, not some brand specific forum and I would hope the claim of "best" was determined based on objective testing and not "guesses" based on brand loyalty and how "nice" a pistol looks on the outside.

Have you shot all the listed pistols personally in adverse shooting conditions outlined above? If you have not, how did you make your determination? Was it based on what you read/heard, which may be other people's opinions based on what they read/heard too? Or just based on a few shots fired at the range using rental pistols?

Many car makers "claim" to be the best, but I consider realistic time trials the ultimate test of car's performance that tests various aspects of the vehicle components (engine, transmission, suspension, tires, brakes, seats, etc.) not just on a straight race strip (I consider this similar to range shooting at stationary target over and over and over ...) but on bumpy, twisty road course (USPSA/IDPA). One such test is the Nürburgring (Nordschleife) in Germany
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times) where this year, Corvette ZR1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoJraaxJ658) and Z06 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok1WUO3p1oQ) both posted lap times ahead of essentially all Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc. for "production" cars.

For me to quality the "claim" of who builds the best striker pistol, I would suggest similar realistic shooting course where the shooter has to shoot under adverse condition, at moving targets, with weak hand while moving. Both world IDPA and USPSA "Production" championships represent such realistic trials and examining which pistols consistently win year after year may represent "factual objective" conclusion over "claims". Yes, you can argue for individual shooter factor (some just shoot well with any pistol) and the influence of corporate sponsorship but there may be reasons why a vast majority of non-sponsored shooters use particular makes/models of pistols.

My two cents. Peace.

tarosean
August 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
Both world IDPA and USPSA "Production" championships represent such realistic trials and examining which pistols consistently win year after year may represent "factual objective" conclusion over "claims".

That settles it then. A beretta 92 won last years with a ton of CZ SP01's in the top 10. :)

bds
August 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Ummmm, we are talking about "Striker Fired" pistol on this thread last I checked. :uhoh:

tarosean, would you care to start a "Who makes the best hammer fired pistol" thread?

BTW, I think you should check how various brand 1911s did also and recognize various divisions. ;)

tarosean
August 18, 2012, 11:42 AM
Ummmm, we are talking about "Striker Fired" pistol on this thread last I checked

Well you gotta search down the list to find a production national placer.. Wasn't your idea to use that requirement for a gun?

No worries all these threads are too subjective... Someone will cry foul, then the lines will be drawn. I already cast my opinion earlier (M&P45C), ayou know what they say about opinions....

bds
August 18, 2012, 11:52 AM
Good call, I think S&W did a nice job on their M&P line (listening to their customer base comments as to what they wanted), especially for the 45 caliber which I think they did a better job than 9/40.

And listening hasn't stopped. Just this week, I handled the new M&P 9mm/40S&W pistols with the "new" cleaner/lighter striker triggers and they felt better than stock Glock trigger with much more defined striker release/reset. No more mushy 5-7 lbs M&P triggers with longer reset! WooHoo, Glock better watch out now for sure! :D

Smith357
August 18, 2012, 12:28 PM
It depends on what you mean by best. What's best for me may or may not be best for you. My choice was the M&P45 because of ergonomics and country of origin, but it is not the best for capacity or aftermarket parts.

Tcruse
August 18, 2012, 12:39 PM
There is no question that "Glock" is the standard that all other guns of this class is compared against. It is certainly one that has set the standards. Now, some of the other choices have "features" that some will like better. Some of the other choices may someday become generally accepted as an improvement over the Glock. There are numerous guns generally modeled after the Glock and attempted to improve on some part of the design. A more interesting pole would be "US manufactured" and non-Glock. (Mainly because US Manufactured guns, Glock would dominate the pole, as they probably should)

RBid
August 18, 2012, 12:45 PM
Walther.

The P99 is well known for its ergonomics, trigger, and reliability. The PPQ has continued that tradition, with ergos and trigger that are frequently referred to as among the best out of the box. The PPS had a few early kinks to iron out, but it is considered a top notch product in its category.

If it's NOT Walther, it's probably Caracal. Caracal is everything Glock should have evolved to.

TarDevil
August 18, 2012, 12:55 PM
There is no question that "Glock" is the standard that all other guns of this class is compared against
So glad you think so!

GLOOB
August 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
Interesting that you would rate a hammer fired gun in a thread about striker fired only.
Ahh, good catch! :)

CraigC
August 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
XD. Glocks are good guns but they are far from the only game in town. I shot them for years but now it's only the XD and 1911's. Don't miss them. IMHO, the XD is a more refined, more accurate, more comfortable design.

EddieNFL
August 18, 2012, 03:46 PM
A simpler question would be, "What striker fired pistol do you own." Same poll results.

Girodin
August 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING ... HOLES ON TARGET SPEAK VOLUMES!

Not necessarily. I match pistol is not going to be the best carry gun. Reliability and other factors are more important that pure accuracy, provided the gun is "combat accurate." I might modify or build a gun in ways to achieve max accuracy that are not consistent with other important considerations for a defensive weapon. Furthermore, for most people the difference in mechanical accuracy between any of the production models listed is something most people cannot make use of.

You mention this:

Many car makers "claim" to be the best, but I consider realistic time trials the ultimate test of car's performance that tests various aspects of the vehicle components (engine, transmission, suspension, tires, brakes, seats, etc.) not just on a straight race strip (I consider this similar to range shooting at stationary target over and over and over ...) but on bumpy, twisty road course (USPSA/IDPA). One such test is the Nürburgring (Nordschleife) in Germany

It is great for underscoring the point that you have to define best for some specific test. Car A might make it around the Nurbegring faster than car B with a pro driver. However, put a layman driver in the and the results might be very different. Small cars take a world of skill to drive near the edge others are much more manageable. Furthermore the Nurbegring is not necessarily the test for what is the best daily driver. James May often laments that many manufactures "ruin" there road cars by tuning them for that track.

In sum, you have to first define a task before you can even reasonably define the objective criteria.

oneounceload
August 18, 2012, 05:34 PM
HKp7 - best striker ever made

Onward Allusion
August 18, 2012, 07:30 PM
Glock all the way with the M&P a close second. BTW, you should have a poll for the most butt ugly pistol, too. I bet ya Glock would win that one, too! :)

sigarms228
August 18, 2012, 07:45 PM
Try a Walther PPQ and you will see why.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/kk9zz/PPQ8.jpg

bds
August 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
Glock all the way with the M&P a close second. BTW, you should have a poll for the most butt ugly pistol, too. I bet ya Glock would win that one, too!
I thought Hi-Point had that honor? :uhoh:

I am not ripping Hi-Point, I admire that Made in USA, can be afforded by any ($159), goes "Bang" every time pistol.

CZguy
August 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
If it's NOT Walther, it's probably Caracal. Caracal is everything Glock should have evolved to

I think that you missed Steyr.

Girodin
August 19, 2012, 01:38 AM
HKp7 - best striker ever made

I like the P7. It is one of my favorite HKs in fact. However, I think it falls far short of being a "best" in my book. It heats up way too much and way too fast. It has an antiquated heal release. Lastly it has a fairly limited capacity. I think there is a reason I've never seen on shooting IDPA (or the like) or at a pistol class. I like the P7, but if I could only have one striker fired gun, for my purposes, the P7 would be way down the list .

56hawk
August 19, 2012, 02:02 AM
I like the P7. It is one of my favorite HKs in fact. However, I think it falls far short of being a "best" in my book. It heats up way too much and way too fast. It has an antiquated heal release. Lastly it has a fairly limited capacity. I think there is a reason I've never seen on shooting IDPA (or the like) or at a pistol class. I like the P7, but if I could only have one striker fired gun, for my purposes, the P7 would be way down the list .

All those issues were fixed with the P7M8 and P7M13. Probably don't see to many in competitions because of the cost and lack of aftermarket parts.

Auto426
August 19, 2012, 02:35 AM
A simpler question would be, "What striker fired pistol do you own." Same poll results.

I think this may be the best answer in the entire thread.

TimboKhan
August 19, 2012, 02:43 AM
Ha. Totally true. Personally, I settled on an xd and while it seems to be the best for me, I can't say it's the best period.

ColdDayInHell
August 19, 2012, 02:45 AM
Ruger SR9c and all the SR series. Glocks also run extremely well. Some striker fired handguns can gunk up and cause light strikes.

Kiln
August 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
The Springfield XDM is great, I own two of them and they both work amazingly well. I've had three jams with my XDM chambered in .40 S&W in about 5k rounds and zero problems with the newer 9mm with over 1k rounds through it already.

I just prefer the features of the XDM over the others but would like to own one of the M&P pistols some day because they're very comfortable.

I've never really liked Glocks, I bought a Glock model 22 early on and disliked it alot. Never had any issues with it but the gun is just a bad fit for some people and I happen to be one of them.

All of the listed options are great but I'd avoid the Ruger until they sort out the problems they're having with them. I've seen several threads on several different forums about problems with light strikes when using the SR9 that required the gun to be serviced by Ruger after a relatively low number of rounds (less than 500).

TarDevil
August 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
Quite true. Let's not forget, however, the process by which most of us came to own that pistol...the process of elimination until the perfect gun was chosen for that individual.

ExTank
August 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
Walther. P99, PPQ. Neither the Glock or Sig "range rentals" I've tried come close to matching my hand enough to make me select them over my Walther P99 AS in 9mm. XD's are a close second to my Walther.

I do intend to try some Glock/Sig/other in .40 S&W and see how they comapre to my P99 AS in .40 S&W.

johnnydollar
August 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
Another vote for the HK P7.

jeepnik
August 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
I can't say any of the striker fired ones are any better than another. I prefer those with a hammer, one of my favorite being the PP family.

Dudemeister
August 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
You do realize this is a poll about striker fired guns, and the PPK is not one of those ?!

http://digistealth.com/Public/Guns/ppk%20hammer.jpg

carbonyl
August 19, 2012, 03:42 PM
I've owned 3 of these. Glock 19, M&P9 and the Ruger SRc. The Glock is the butt ugliest, ergonomic unfriendliest pistol I've ever had. But, it's the one I kept! So, Glock got my vote.

WHY ???:confused:

Girodin
August 19, 2012, 04:05 PM
All those issues were fixed with the P7M8 and P7M13. Probably don't see to many in competitions because of the cost and lack of aftermarket parts.

I've only used the earlier P7s. I guess I need to check out the other variants. However, I highly doubt the lack of them in competition or training courses is do to price. I see $3000+ 1911s, glocks with grip reductions, stipple jobs, milled slides, and $500 RMR sights that put them close to $2k. So why not an HK that is less than $2000?

however, the process by which most of us came to own that pistol...the process of elimination until the perfect gun was chosen for that individual.

I highly doubt that. I bet the vast vast vast majority of the respondents to this thread have not even held every gun discussed in it. If we are including all the variants then I have not. I bet even fewer have actually shot them and that number would dwindle if we made a threshold of even a relatively small number of rounds, say 100.

You really think most people have chosen the their gun only after trying, and for long enough to really test them out all the striker fired guns by, HK, Smith, glock, FN, Caracal, Steyr, Walther, Ruger, Springfield, etc? I doubt many people even saw one model of all those makes or even knew of them before they bought and settled on what they have.

The Man With No Name
August 19, 2012, 04:09 PM
Quite true. Let's not forget, however, the process by which most of us came to own that pistol...the process of elimination until the perfect gun was chosen for that individual.
True. I've bought and sold guns forever now. If you take care of your stuff then you lose very little doing this. Guns I've personally owned that are striker fired are only the Glock though. All my friends have owned just about anything else striker fired I was ever interested in. Most know how I am about trying out new guns and will offer to let me put at least a mag worth of ammo through their guns when they get them. When we get a range day I'll bring an extra box so other leo's can try a few rounds at least through mine. More if they bring their own ammo.

easyg
August 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
I believe the Ruger SR series is the best when it comes to striker fired pistols.

Here's why:

1. The trigger pull.
When it comes to striker fired pistols, the SR9c has the best trigger.
It's better than the Glock trigger and the Walther trigger.
And it's much much better than the XD or M&P trigger.

BUT, I admit that I gave not shot the FN FNS yet.
All of the others in the poll I have owned before and fired many many times.

2. Unless someone can show me otherwise, the Ruger is the only one in which the manufacturer declares is safe with 9mm+P+ ammo....

From Ruger's website under FAQs:
What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger 9mm pistol?

The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition. Note: The LC9™ is not rated for +P+ ammunition.

This is from S&W's website:
“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the
pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures
may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more
frequent service.

“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith &
Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that
it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation
does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such
ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated
and could be DANGEROUS.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/photobucket-27300-1335218575727.jpg

918v
August 19, 2012, 06:11 PM
Glock. It is the most versatile striker fired pistol with a huge aftermarket.

The Man With No Name
August 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Interesting about the Ruger. Since you didn't mention it, Glock does not recommend the use of +P+ ammunition in their guns. I use it in my duty gun but only because that is what I'm issued and required to use in it. I don't see it as a major selling point myself but if a person does then Ruger would be the way to go.

miles1
August 19, 2012, 09:00 PM
Although i admire glocks their recent track record(gen 4 troubles) puts them out of the race for me.The M&P and XD both have stepped up IMHO with superior reliablility and plenty of after market support.

XD45 owner

edit:havent shot a Ruger SR yet

918v
August 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
Nobody is forcing anybody to buy Gen-4 Glock's. They can continue to buy Gen-3 Glocks.

wristtwister
August 19, 2012, 10:49 PM
Well, I own several M&P Smiths, have owned a couple of XD's and XDM's, and every one of the SR series. I like them all, and for different reasons. The Smith's feel the best while shooting, but the Rugers are a close second. The XD that I've kept is a "tactical" with the long slide and short grip. All of them are "tack drivers", so the performance of the guns really isn't a question.

Noticeably missing in my list are Glocks, which simply don't fit my hand. I've tried to warm up to them, and handle them in the shop every day, but I just don't find anything "Glocky" that floats my boat for me.

I'd like to have an SR series in .45 (other than my 1911) to see how that would shoot, but I'm not a "caliber snob" by any stretch. I've got a .45 XD tactical, .40 /.357 Sig S&W (full size and compact) and everything made in the SR series... 9MM/.40/.22LR ... and they all shoot great. The only thing missing is that .45 striker-fired pistol, but at the rate guns are not hitting the market right now, I'm not holding my breath waiting on a "new issue" gun from anybody.

I've handled the Steyer and Walther products as well, and they feel comfortable, but I haven't had an opportunity to shoot them, but they feel very much like the M&P's.

WT

miles1
August 19, 2012, 10:49 PM
Nobody is forcing anybody to buy Gen-4 Glock's. They can continue to buy Gen-3 Glocks.
Agreed.

TarDevil
August 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
You really think most people have chosen the their gun only after trying, and for long enough to really test them out all the striker fired guns by, HK, Smith, glock, FN, Caracal, Steyr, Walther, Ruger, Springfield, etc? I doubt many people even saw one model of all those makes or even knew of them before they bought and settled on what they have.
Well, of course. Though I have shot quite a few, the heart of my selection process began once I made a few preliminary decisions about what type of gun fit my criteria; striker or hammer, compact or sub compact, external safety or no, single or double stack, etc. Then a tour of the gun shops to see which felt well in my hands, quick to aim, fit well in whatever holsters were on hand, concealability, ease of draw, comfortable, so on, so forth. I have guns I bought for less stringent reasons, but when shopping for my EDC, this process was thorough and took almost 18 months. Along the way, those few that fell into the narrowed catagory of fit and features got as much trigger time as possible untill I laid down my cash. To say I'm satisfied with my decision would be greatly understated (no, I will not repeat my choice...it was right for me, not the rest of you).

I know plenty of folks who bought on hearsay, name recognition, or the suggestion of a LGS salesman. I'd like to think the majority, though, used their own equally exhaustive process of elimination.

The_Armed_Therapist
August 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
I don't really think any of those are better than the others. Never heard any problems with any of them (besides an occasional internet rant by an angry customer... but that's with them all). For me, it's preferential factors that make the difference. First, I don't like safeties on these types of firearms... That excludes the SR. The FNs, when I've tried them out, feel odd in the hand... almost like a toy. I don't think that about the others, although I also feel the same way about the Sig P250s. The XDms, M&Ps, and Glocks are left... However, the M&Ps feel large for my hands. So my preference would be the XDms or the Glocks. But that says nothing about them being better.

balance 740
August 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
I believe the Ruger SR series is the best when it comes to striker fired pistols.

Here's why:

1. The trigger pull.
When it comes to striker fired pistols, the SR9c has the best trigger.
It's better than the Glock trigger and the Walther trigger.
And it's much much better than the XD or M&P trigger.

BUT, I admit that I gave not shot the FN FNS yet.
All of the others in the poll I have owned before and fired many many times.

2. Unless someone can show me otherwise, the Ruger is the only one in which the manufacturer declares is safe with 9mm+P+ ammo....

From Ruger's website under FAQs:
Quote:
What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger 9mm pistol?

The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition. Note: The LC9™ is not rated for +P+ ammunition.

This is from S&W's website:
Quote:
“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the
pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures
may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more
frequent service.

“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith &
Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that
it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation
does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such
ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated
and could be DANGEROUS.

Interesting post.

As for the trigger, I'm going to have to handle a newer SR9, as the one I handled when they first came out didn't impress me all that much. I've heard that the newer ones have better triggers, but to say it is better than the Walther PPQ's trigger is interesting to me.

As for the manufacturer's ammunition recommendations, I don't think it is wise for any manufacturer to state that ammunition without a maximum pressure limit is safe to use in their pistols. Every overloaded 9mm round that ever caused a pistol to explode, could have been considered +P+.

That being said, I know Glock states that their 9mm pistols can use +P+ safely, High Point states that their 9mm models can use +P+ safely, and H&K states that their 9mm USP models can use +P+ safely.

There are guys on the Glock forum that state that the newer Gen 3 pistols were having issues as well. They are not using the same extractors and ejectors that they used to, even in the newer Gen 3 models.

As for the OP, the best striker fired pistol for me isn't on the list.

Going down the list, reports of reliability from recently produced Glocks don't sound so good to me, I prefer 9mm pistols and the M&P pistols seem to be having inconsistent accuracy issues in their full size 9mm models, I don't like the grip safety of the XD pistols, previous experience with FN's polymer pistols leaves me unimpressed with FN's polymer offerings, and an experience simply handling an early SR series pistol left me unimpressed.

But if I had to pick one from the list, I'd probably go with a Ruger SR series pistol, or an older Glock.

TarDevil
August 20, 2012, 12:49 PM
I'm going to have to handle a newer SR9, as the one I handled when they first came out didn't impress me all that much. I've heard that the newer ones have better triggers, but to say it is better than the Walther PPQ's trigger is interesting to me.

I've never shot a Walther, but do yourself a favor and get your hands on a recent SR series pistol. Though you may not like other features of the gun, Ruger now has a great trigger in that pistol. If that's your only drawback to the SR, you may find it now a non-issue.

tarosean
August 21, 2012, 06:27 AM
I always find it funny that these claims of Glock being the best selling pistol ever are never backed up with any type of proof.

The "irrefutable fact" is Glock has NEVER released its sales figures. So people in the industry or fans etc., are left to guesstimate or just blatantly make stuff up!!

With that said we can kind of guesstimate by the ATF stats. The below numbers are taken from ATF stats on imports by county.

2010: Handguns Only

Brazil - 526,011
Austria - 431,118
Italy - 129,509
Germany - 230,477
Croatia - 239,021
Turkey - 24,443
Canada - 6
Russia - 1,050
Argentina - 74,245
Romania - 16,945
Philippines - 44,626
Serbia - 12,455
Czech Republic - 21,140
Belgium - 18,874
United Kingdom - 387
Spain - 989
Bulgaria - 3,325
Poland - 3,922
Israel - 2,645
Switzerland - 738
Other - 659

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/121611-firearms-commerce-2011.pdf

2011: Handguns Only

Brazil - 359,846
Austria - 515,396
Germany - 265,092
Italy - 104,911
Russia - 16,900
Croatia - 211,001
Canada - 2
Turkey - 22,899
Argentina - 71,838
Philippines - 54,247
Romania - 13,775
Czech Republic - 20,003
Belgium - 9,769
Poland - 20,895
Costa Rica - 19,500
United Kingdom - 4,376
Spain - 322
Israel - 9,995
Serbia - 720
Switzerland - 991
Bulgaria - 1,450
Other - 1,348

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/050412-firearms-commerce-in-the-us-annual-statistical-update-2012.pdf

So lets take the top dogs Brazil and Austria

With the numbers you'd have to guess a split between IMBEL & Taurus from Brazil and from Glock & Steyr from Austria. Its probably a safe bet that Glock has a larger market share than Steyr. Im also willing to bet Taurus imports a lot more than IMBEL - aka. Spingfield Armory's 1911's.

HOOfan_1
August 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
The "irrefutable fact" is Glock has NEVER released its sales figures. So people in the industry or fans etc., are left to guesstimate or just blatantly make stuff up!!

I read some article gathered with ATF info (can't find it now....Error 404) It said that Ruger handguns were the most PRODUCED (not necessarily sold) handguns in the US. I am guessing that list didn't include imported firearms. Of course that would include revolvers and DA/SA autos as well...and the various .22s.

I think it is safe to say that Glock are the most sold STRIKER FIRED pistols in the world...not necessarily the most sold handguns.

SilentScream
August 21, 2012, 11:04 PM
From a design stand point, I have to vote the HK P7 series. To my way of thinking it is an amazing piece of firearms engineering. If you look inside one they can be a little intimidating, & look a little over engineered but the things rarely seem to wear out, recoil spring and sear springs tend to go flat but that's all that really wears.

Sapper771
August 22, 2012, 12:17 AM
Its really hard to say which is the best of the striker fired pistols. The one I think is best probably wont be the one you think is best.

In my humble opinion, I feel that the Glock 9mm pistols are the best (for me). We all are biased though and the reason I carry a Glock may be different than the reason you carry whatever you carry.

Why do I say that the Glock is best? We will first have to look at what sets the Glock apart. Glocks are easy to fully disassemble. This is important to me because I dont like having to rely on a gunsmith. I dont like roll pins either. I like to be able to detail strip my pistol for a thorough cleaning every couple of months or to upgrade/inspect a part. The aftermarket for Glocks is great. Every part is available, and they dont have to be fitted to the gun. The parts and mags are also inexpensive. Outside of these, there are the normal pluses of the Glock (reliability, simplicity, ease of use, durability, etc).

Just because I say they are the best doesnt mean they are with out faults. I have been battling the "brass to the face" problem for a while now. Got pretty frustrated with Glock Inc over it. Finally fixed the issue myself and all is well. The grip (sucks) and grip angle is rather odd to most shooters. I found that after investing in ammo and trigger time, I like the grip and have adapted to the grip angle.

I am not strictly a Glock guy. I recently purchased a Walther PPQ and can say that it is very impressive. Best striker fired trigger I have tried. I dont have many rounds through it yet, but I highly recommend you get your hands on one to try out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who builds the best striker fired pistol and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!