Does the head of NRA shoot?

PDA

Bravo11
February 25, 2004, 05:02 PM
I've never seen anything on whether or not Wayne LaPierre is an avid shooter or hunter. Does he shoot?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does the head of NRA shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
killermarmot
February 25, 2004, 05:30 PM
would be kinda funny if he didn't and sad

geegee
February 25, 2004, 05:41 PM
If he doesn't have a CHL (even if he doesn't carry), he ought to be replaced. Core principles, you know? :scrutiny: geegee

Mark Tyson
February 25, 2004, 05:43 PM
My fondest hope is that he shoots the scariest, most politically incorrect gun that is legal.

What would that be?

capbuster
February 25, 2004, 06:24 PM
Nice fellow. I met him at a book signing several years ago. I believe he is a shotgun shooter.You know skeet,ect. I would not doubt he has a collection of arms. If you are really curious, write the man a letter. I did once and got a nice reply.

TechBrute
February 25, 2004, 06:48 PM
This is purely conjecture and has no basis in fact, but he's always struck me as the shotgunning "who needs a black gun, anyway" type of person.

DigMe
February 25, 2004, 06:55 PM
This is purely conjecture and has no basis in fact, but he's always struck me as the shotgunning "who needs a black gun, anyway" type of person.

I don't know...never met the guy and don't know much about him but he really ripped into that CNN anchor about their lies regarding the AWB.

brad cook

TechBrute
February 25, 2004, 06:57 PM
That's encouraging. Like I said, I have no clue.

Lord Grey Boots
February 25, 2004, 07:24 PM
LaPierre is an active handgun shooter. Shoots competitively in NRA Action, Bullseye and a few others IIRC.

There is a rundown on his various shooting activities on the net someplace.

There are more than a few folks that have accused him of "not being a shooter", an accusation thats totally without basis.

Moparmike
February 25, 2004, 08:47 PM
We should elect Jim Scoutten for NRA President. :D

LaPeirre is a damn good legal bulldog though, especially after he ripped that CNN anchor a new one, two or three times. :D http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

jobu07
February 25, 2004, 10:30 PM
I've met Wayne a few times at CPAC (conservative political action conference) in washington d.c. I had the privelage of waiting in line with him one year while we were waiting to be screened by secret service to go see the vice-president and i had a nice conversation with him. He mentioned to me that he does carry and is active and avid in shooting. To keep the spirit of the event though, we talked mostly about the conference and little about shooting. A really nice guy though.

liliysdad
February 25, 2004, 10:34 PM
I could care less whether the entire staff of the NRA even knows what end of the gun the bullet comes out of or not, as long as they know that we have a right to have them. There job is not to hold shooting seminars, but to protect my rights, and the rights of the citizenry of the US.

If they do shoot, and Im sure most do, thats just bonus points.

4v50 Gary
February 25, 2004, 10:49 PM
I want Neal Knox myself as prez.

Rembrandt
February 25, 2004, 10:50 PM
...not to put too fine a point on it, but Wayne is not the head of the NRA....he is the Executive Director hired by the Board of Directors....and yes, he does shoot....pretty fair with a handgun.

The "Head of the NRA" is the President, Kayne Robinson....and yes, he also shoots. A competitive handgun shooter, avid hunter, and pretty fair Sporting Clays shot. Had the opportunity to shoot with him many times.

Mike Irwin
February 25, 2004, 11:02 PM
I believe that Wayno's title is actually Executive Vice President.

He heads day to day operations, but as Rembrant says, he serves at the leisure of the Board of Directors.

More than one past EVP has been forced out by the BoD -- Ray Arnett and J. Warren Cassidy come to mind. Gen. Maxwell Rich may have also been forced out in the wake of the Cincinnatti Revolution when the Harlon Carter/Neal Knox faction seized control of the Board of Directors.

Black92LX
February 25, 2004, 11:19 PM
I thought Kayne Robinson was the president?? Did i miss something?

Bravo11
February 26, 2004, 09:53 AM
Correction. I'm aware that Kayne Robinson is the president and I've read the bio on him when he took the position.
I was just curious about LaPierre. I'm a member of NRA and I believe they do good work. I'm not sure I would have chose Robinson as the Pres.

BIGJim223
February 26, 2004, 07:19 PM
Wayne and his wife, both have been on quite a few episodes of the NRA sponsered, ESPN hunting show, "Under Wild Skies". They both have taken a variety of African game while on safari with the show's host. They are usually on a couple of times a season. The show is on ESPN2, on Saturday mornings.
BIGJim223

nico
February 26, 2004, 07:40 PM
he's always struck me as the shotgunning "who needs a black gun, anyway" type of person.
I know the point has already been made that he's an avid shooter, but I'll just add my one cent worth. From reading his book "Guns, Freedom, and Terrorism," he sounds more like the "the kind of gun I want to own has nothing to do with the fact that anyone should be able to own just about any gun they want" type. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Does the head of NRA shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!