Guns as rewards?

PDA

BearGriz
August 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
Have any of you ever made a deal with yourself (like to reach a goal) and used a gun as the reward? I had never thought of doing this until yesterday, and I am really excited that it will motivate me.

Usually I just save up for a gun, buy it, and enjoy it. The gun is my reward for saving my pennies.

The story is that I lost about 45 lb. over the course of 1.5 years, but since then (for about a year), I've been unable to really make any more progress. I've lost and gained the same 5-8 lb. over and over for a little more than a year (I'm currently up those 8 lb.). I have about 45 lb. to go.

Now I've told my wife that I can't get the next gun until I lost those 8 pounds (to get back to my low in March). And then I need to loose 10 lb. more before my next major purchase (gun, lot of ammo, or major accessories, etc.). By telling her, I'll have greater accountability (she has always been very supportive and never pushy).

This might actually work! I always get pretty excited over my next gun-related purchase, and it will help me keep my eye on the ball.

I'm thinking that once I reach my goal weight, there are some other goals I can accomplish using guns as rewards. It really seems like it will be a double win for me each time: I'll improve myself and get a gun. And the gun will remind me of what I accomplished!

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns as rewards?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
barnbwt
August 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
All the time, otherwise I'd never save up enough :D. Gotta refill the "gun account" before even thinking about a purchase, and then I normally use the occaision as a push to get my butt moving on some other project I've been farting around on.

I'm about 25lb down from my weight "zenith" with about 10-15lb to go before I'll be satisfied, and I've learned that weight-based goals don't help me much. I'm just too tempted to cheat by not drinking water or something to get the last pound or two :D. Instead, I make them time-based; set a number of weeks I skip dinner (easiest diet to stick to in the world, btw) successfully, or go to the gym at proper intervals.

Whatever your goals, involving other people, as you said, for accountability is the key. Good luck!

TCB

Jeff H
August 19, 2012, 11:18 PM
Have any of you ever made a deal with yourself (like to reach a goal) and used a gun as the reward? I had never thought of doing this until yesterday, and I am really excited that it will motivate me.

As most exsmokers can attest, I had a bazillion deals and objectives to help me get to my goal, and some worked for a week or two, but nothing really worked long term until I was disgusted enough to finally quit for good (Chantix helped more than a little).

And then after a year of not smoking, I was in the same boat as you needing to loose some weight. SSDD. Rewards are great, but nothing will really work for the long term until you are committed, and then when you are, you don't really need a reward more than your success.

Good luck on your venture.

Rembrandt
August 19, 2012, 11:20 PM
Goals are good......promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore guns till the farm was paid off. Now that it's behind me there are a few on the short list. I like the weight idea.

Coop45
August 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
How many pounds of guns are allowable?

TimeRegained
August 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
My head would tell me 'you're not suppose to be overweight, fatty'.

I don't believe in pound-loss, waist size makes all the difference.

All power to you!

Giterboosted
August 20, 2012, 12:35 AM
Good luck to you all, you can do it

squarepants33889
August 20, 2012, 01:37 AM
My wife made me my deal.
I am currently a Third Class Power Engineer who is actively pursuing my Second Class. I have another 3 months of firing time to earn before I can write my last three exams.
The other day my wife says to me, "why don't you crack those three tests off lickety split and buy that shotgun and handgun you wanted as a reward?"
Thats why I love her!

justice06rr
August 20, 2012, 02:20 AM
Yes, i've done the firearms rewards thing. I used to work 60+hr work weeks, and when the fat paycheck came I'd pick a pistol I really wanted. Or get an AR15, bolt action rifle, SG, etc.

I think it works for the most part if you need to watch your budget and don't have unlimited funds like a few lucky ones. It also gives you more excitement of buying one, vs just buying a gun because you can afford it.

gunnutery
August 20, 2012, 02:44 AM
Sounds like a good goal to me. Not sure if you've heard of it, but it's been on hulu.com and probably still is: "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." It's a movie of a guy from Austrailia that juices all of his food intake using only fruits and veggies for a few months and drops pounds quickly. He also challenges others that he meets to try it for 10 days (my wife actually knew one of the people that tried it on film). Check it out, I'm going to do ten days once we can swing buying a good juicer.

Back on firearm related topic, before I got married, I always set a savings goal for myself and once I had so much in my account + the money needed to buy my next purchase I'd buy whatever gun I was wanting. It sounds pretty basic, but it was fun trying to ballance all the usual living expenses and maintaining an expensive hobby.

BearGriz
September 23, 2012, 08:23 PM
Well it has been just over a month, and I've been doing really well keeping track of all of my calories (that is the method that works for me), as well as exercising pretty hard three times a week.

I'm happy to report that I have reached and stayed below my goal weight for about 4 days. As a reward, I went to the gun show yesterday and bought a bunch of 7.62x39 ammunition. It sort of counts as a reward, but it is something I needed to do anyway. I've needed to get my ammo supplies up to a good level for a while. I figured why buy another gun if I don't have a good supply of ammo for the ones I have?

After 5 more lb. I'll let myself buy a gun that I've been looking at. Then 5 more lb. I'll buy some 9mm ammo and get that up to a good level. And then after 5 more, I'll get another gun. You get the idea.

So anyway, it is working thus far. I have pictures of the guns I want posted in a few places, and it helps!

ApacheCoTodd
September 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
So, and I'm just thinkin' out loud here... If this all goes well and you get what you want - then in however long, you - for whatever reason - round up some of those lost pounds in the future, do you have to give up a gun or two?:evil:

Seems like the thin ice covering the deep blue sea at the bottom of a slippery slope.

BearGriz
September 24, 2012, 01:04 AM
So, and I'm just thinkin' out loud here... If this all goes well and you get what you want - then in however long, you - for whatever reason - round up some of those lost pounds in the future, do you have to give up a gun or two?:evil:

Seems like the thin ice covering the deep blue sea at the bottom of a slippery slope.

LOL, I guess the wife (or I) could take them back. I've been thinking a bit about this very issue, and I've chosen to put a positive spin on it. Let's say I get down to a reasonable "final" weight. What do I do now? I have worried about it a little, but why not reward myself for maintenance?

In regular intervals (say every 3 or 6 months), if I am maintaining the weight, then I can buy ___ amount of ammo to use for the next 3-6 months). And maybe throw in some intervals for gun purchases in there.

leadcounsel
September 24, 2012, 02:29 AM
I've frequently used rewards for myself...

College.
Lawschool.
Bar exam.
Deployments.... etc. etc. etc.

Guns, electronics, trips....

FenderTK421
September 24, 2012, 02:53 AM
Yes, I have. An HK45C was my reward to myself for 6 months smoke free (no cheating). My 1 year mark was rewarded w/ a CMP M1 Garand, a Bayonet and 600 rounds of Greek surplus ammo. Now that I think about it, I am coming upon my 2 year anniversary... :evil:

shotgunjoel
September 24, 2012, 03:11 AM
You guys who give up smoking have an easier time rewarding yourself because you have lots of extra money that you're not spending on cigarettes anymore. I've been known to use guns as rewards. I got a Tokarev for getting a B in Calc 2 in college. I work for the County Clerk as an election judge and all of my pay ($120 every election) goes straight to guns, so I guess that I reward myself for being a good and active citizen :)

FenderTK421
September 24, 2012, 03:30 AM
I consider myself a very good and active citizen. I work 10-12 hour days 5-6 days per week at a job I hate. Smokes cost $10 a pack up here. I still pay more in taxes than I ever paid for cigarettes. I think this good and active citizen can reward himself anyway he sees fit, thank you very much.

BearGriz
October 11, 2012, 11:42 PM
Lost another 5 lb. in about 3 weeks! I know what gun I want to reward myself with, but I'll wait until the next gun show next month to pick it up. By then I should have lost at least another 5 lb., and I can grab some ammo for that reward.

I did go to MidwayUSA today and order some accessories for the gun, so I guess I have to get that gun (now that I have ordered magazines for it).

Anyway, this reward/incentive is working for me!

exavid
October 12, 2012, 12:59 AM
No, when I want something and can afford to get it, I do. Life is short.

FreddyKruger
October 12, 2012, 01:14 AM
"ive finally paid off my credit card! time to load it up again with more guns!"

done it before... haha :/

BearGriz
October 12, 2012, 01:24 AM
"ive finally paid off my credit card! time to load it up again with more guns!"

done it before... haha :/

I will note that I am paying cash. I've been saving for these purchases, I just realized that I could use them as an incentive.

pockets
October 12, 2012, 07:50 AM
No, when I want something and can afford to get it, I do. Life is short.
Same here. I don't play reward games with myself.
Weight loss? I've lost 30 pounds over the past year. My 'reward' was to buy clothes that fit.

Fish Miner
October 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
If I can make it through two more semesters of grad school I am going to get myself a nice present. Maybe a AR from scratch or some optics....or a new pistol.... so many choices I may need another degree to get more stuff..

Queen_of_Thunder
October 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
I can easily justify the purchase of a firearm. Doest require much in my case. When I buy my next vehicle it has to come with a firearm of my choice to close the deal. A nice truck if I buy a truck or a nice pistol for the glove box if its a car. Been thinking about a motorcycle lately and suggestions as to what would go best with one would be greatly appreciated.

JustinJ
October 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
You better let somebody else be in control of the money who won't buy unless goal is reached.

HOOfan_1
October 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
Sure...guns as rewards...guns as consolation :evil:

I have often thought this year "damn my football team is horrible, this is bumming me out, I know how I can cheer myself up, buy a new gun"

Dnaltrop
October 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
I don't have to make a deal with myself, It's enough of a challenge adding to the collection while shaving bits out of my Gun fund for various household expenses.

Dang "priorities" and my inability to ignore them.

Flopsweat
October 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
You better let somebody else be in control of the money who won't buy unless goal is reached.
Doesn't sound like the OP needs that.

jim243
October 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
My feelings are that it is not a realistic goal. If however you said you will loose the weight and keep it off for at least 6 to 12 months, then you have a true goal and deserve a gun. Keeping it off is the true goal.

Jim

BearGriz
October 12, 2012, 08:05 PM
Keeping it off is the true goal.

Jim

I hear ya Jim, but I think (hope) I'm safe. I'll tell you why (sorry in advance for the long explanation).

I went basically a year at the same weight (after losing like 45 lb. over the course of 1.5 years). I was doing OK at maintaining that weight, but I needed motivation to really start losing again (and stop this +/- 4 lb. oscillation). When I found myself again at the +4 lb., I decided that something needed to change. I needed motivation! After previously loosing a respectable amount, my efforts and tactics had gone stale.

This new "program" I have is working for now, and like I mentioned in a previous post, I have plans for continuing to "reward" myself for maintaining the weight loss. :)

What I should admit is this: in the past, while my wife has been OK with me using some of our surplus funds for guns (even after we've contributed to such savings accounts as an emergency fund and college funds), until I came up with this challenge, she wasn't on board with me spending this much on guns this quickly.

When I ran this idea by her, she readily agreed. She isn't a miser, but she does love to save lots of money (an attribute of hers for which I count myself very blessed). But she said that she easily agreed with the program (even to use future ammo/gun rewards for maintenance) because she wants me to be healthy and stay around longer. Of course, we've agreed on a less-aggressive reward system for maintenance.

The catch is (and this is why I think I'm safe), that less-aggressive system for rewarding me (based on maintaining the final goal weight) will sort of replace my previous "gun allowance." It won't replace it completely, but let's just say that we were able to agree on a system where I am still better off than I was with my regular allowance IF I am a good boy going forward. So right now the program is a "carrot" (which is producing great immediate results), and it will sort of transition into a hybrid "stick/carrot" in the future.

So some of you who say things like "well I just buy what I want when I want/can afford to," that might work well for you, but this has been a win-win for me! I have more motivation and I lose weight, and the "finance committee" is OK with accelerating the pace of my gun purchases. In the end, whatever works for you is great! So far this is working really well for me. :)

I honestly don't even get tempted to "cheat" on my diet these days. I hope this continues!

janedoedad
October 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
Not so much reward as an incentive. If I come in under budget on jobs, the 'extra' funds go into the gun fund. :D

Unfortunately, as my wife can attest, an Estimator I am not. :what:

theotherwaldo
October 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
Just rewarded myself today with a very nice Mauser 24/47.

Starting from September of last year I brought my weight down to 290 from 540 and my blood sugar is staying in a more normal range of 149 to 97 (down from 330). Every month that I continue my progress and maintain my goals, I award myself with $100.00 toward my next firearm purchase.

The Mauser, a $195.00 gun show purchase, is my reward for August and September.

USAF_Vet
October 13, 2012, 09:00 PM
No. If I want a new gun, I simply scrimp and save and budget and buy it. That is reward enough for saving the money.

exavid
October 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
BearGriz, that's a great accomplishment. As one who's fought my weight for years and years I can appreciate how difficult that is to do. Hang in there and congratulations.

BearGriz
November 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
BearGriz, that's a great accomplishment. As one who's fought my weight for years and years I can appreciate how difficult that is to do. Hang in there and congratulations.

Thanks for the encouragement! Status Update:

The gun show was yesterday, and I picked up my reward that I "earned" a month ago. I ended up getting a different gun than I had planned (I already ordered accessories for the Ruger I planned on getting, but I still plan on getting that gun). Instead of a Ruger 22/45 Lite, I got a Taurus 905 (fun gun!).

I had also just reached my goal weight for my next reward (lost an additional 5lb.), which was ammo. So I bought a bunch of 9mm this time, as well as some .22LR. Wow, the panic buying was in full force at the gun show!!! I was buying ammo that I had planned on getting (as my reward), so I didn't see myself as participating in the panic buying. I had to wait like 45 minutes to buy my ammo, and when I was leaving the show 2 hours later the ammo I had bought was all gone (this was early afternoon on the first day of the show).

My next goal/reward is in another 5lb. and it will be the Ruger (unless a gun I put a deposit on a couple months ago finally comes in). I might "cheat" a bit on Thanksgiving, but I think I'll do fine. When I lose an additional 5lb. after that (10lb. total loss from today's weight), I'll buy a few accessories (for the Taurus) as my reward and lump in the other accessories I bought for the Ruger (along with a panic buy of some 30-rd. mags last month) :-) (Ok, so I did do some panic buying.) That should catch me up so my impulse/panic buys are rectified to my goals/rewards.

All in all, I've lost about 16-17lb. in a little more than 3 months.

It has been an expensive incentive plan (buying stuff I planned on getting anyway, but the buying pace has been accelerated), but then again many of the weight-loss programs that are out there are really expensive too. And in the end this is working like crazy, plus I'm spending money on stuff that will last (at least the guns should).

BearGriz
February 26, 2013, 07:09 PM
Another status update.

It has been three months since I reached my last goal, but I am pleased to report that I have at least maintained that weight (even through the holidays)!

One interesting aspect of this reward system is that I don't feel much like working on losing more weight when I'm broke (bought a new-to-me house, and that is taking all my money these days), and when there aren't many guns or ammo to buy out there anyway (at least at reasonable prices). But anyway, it has been nice to lose some weight, get some guns, ammo, and accessories (before the panic) and keep it off.

I think the reason I've done we'll at maintaining my last achievement is because I know if I want to make more purchases in the near future, I better not slip. In fact I keep thinking I should start losing again so when I have money and the panic subsides, I have rewards already earned.

c4v3man
February 26, 2013, 07:26 PM
Been thinking about a motorcycle lately and suggestions as to what would go best with one would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on the bike.
BMW GS, KTM Adventure or other Dual sport (KLR, etc): Henry Survival Rifle
Sportbike or Sport Touring bike: Something lightweight, fast, and compact, like a semi auto pistol. Maybe a FN five-seven. Or stay true to the bikes manufacturer, for example I have a tendency towards BMW motorcycles, so an HK would be more appropriate.
Harley: A single stack 1911. Classic, loud, and outdated. If you modify/upgrade the harley, modify the 1911 to match the decrease in reliability you're likely to incur :evil:

Back on topic, I tend to get a gun, then have to earn it afterwards. Few more chores around the house, pamper the wife a little more, etc.

Dnaltrop
February 26, 2013, 08:45 PM
Keep it up! (down?) If the "carrot" keeps you moving in the right direction, so much the better.

Congrats on the house, it's a bit of shock the first time, but at least while you have to pay for repairs, you're still basically paying yourself back in the home's value.

First things I did... day one of the move in, a locking back door where no working door had been, and an ADA compliant toilet. (tall folks can appreciate that one with me)

Now you're in my boat, scrimp and save, then split the gun budget off for house expenses that can't be avoided.

Good luck!

Deltaboy
February 26, 2013, 08:48 PM
Our HS Football booster club used to raffle a Shotgun in the Spring and Rifle in the Fall that's to Wal-Mart.

horsemen61
February 26, 2013, 08:54 PM
I like the idea

soloban
February 26, 2013, 09:58 PM
Dad used to work in a coal mine. The company gave them out for safety prizes. I.e if the mine went a year without accident you could get a .22

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns as rewards?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!