Best decock in your opinion.

PDA

el Godfather
August 27, 2012, 06:05 PM
Dear THR:
Which semiauto has the best decocker in your opinion. I am going to list a few in the poll, but feel free to vote other and explain your choice in post.

My choice is the USP decocker system with safety. You can work it a few ways. The best in my opinion.

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Best decock in your opinion." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skribs
August 27, 2012, 06:28 PM
I like the system where one isn't required. It's only needed on DA/SA pistols, and I am not a fan of multiple trigger pulls on the same firearm.

1911Tuner
August 27, 2012, 06:30 PM
My own thumb. I trust myself more than any mechanical gizmo. Even when I handle a pistol with a decock lever, I still get control of the hammer before I use it.

JTQ
August 27, 2012, 07:00 PM
I've never had to live with it, but the Sig decocker seems like the most logical. Most of my experience is with slide mounted safety/decockers. They are OK, but I can certainly see the advantage of a non-safety decocker only.

I'm not a fan of the multi-use devices like the HK's and FN's that allow cocked and locked and also function as a decocker.

2wheels
August 27, 2012, 07:02 PM
Not a huge fan of DA/SA, but if I'm gonna carry one it's gonna be a Sig. Their decocker makes the most sense IMHO. It's not in the way, and you can easily activate it when you need to. I'm probably biased though, I started out with my fathers Sigs before falling in love with 1911s.

Beretta on the other hand... Makes the least sense to me. It's in the way when manipulating the slide, and it can be activated accidentally when clearing malfunctions, which wouldn't be so bad on a DA/SA gun since you could normally just pull the trigger and keep shooting... Except it's also a safety on their standard models, so you've essentially disabled your own gun, WHY they couldn't make the decocker only model the standard I don't know.

Beretta guys talk about ways you can train around that, but I'd rather not train around something that shouldn't be there in the first place and shouldn't also function as a safety on standard models. It's DA/SA, the "safety" is that long and heavy trigger pull. Leave the manual safeties to the SAO guns.

HKs... Not a lotta experience with them.

Inebriated
August 27, 2012, 07:18 PM
The Sig feels intuitive and is perfectly placed for my hands, so that's my choice.

luvmyRugers
August 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
I voted "Other" just to be different! :neener:

I have 2 Ruger P90s. Both are decockers. Ambidextrous so I can reach with either hand. Smooth as silk and easily depressed.

Jim Watson
August 27, 2012, 08:11 PM
Taurus.
The thumb safety is also the decocker but unlike H&K, safe is center, fire is down, decock is up. No risk of decocking to a surprise DA when you thought you were going off safe to a SA shot.

BCRider
August 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
I've got a Beretta which I love to shoot. But I hate the slide mounted decocker. Far too many times I've shot to slide lock in an IDPA practice session, dropped and replaced the empty, slingshot the slide and found that the trigger no longer did anything at all because I'd managed to flick the decocker to "SAFE" when I pulled the slide back. For that reason I've never used the darn Beretta in an actual match.

But on the line to make ready the decocker works like a treat. It's simply in a VERY bad place for those of us which normally have to reload and carry on. I would have thought that this would also show up in combat situations since it happesn so much to me under the pressure of competition.

So all in all I guess I'd have to go with the SIG method. It's out of the way other than when you want to use it. And that's the way it should be.

EddieNFL
August 27, 2012, 08:47 PM
Trigger pull.

HOOfan_1
August 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
I like the SIG not because of its placement but because it is a controlled hammer drop.

clang
August 27, 2012, 09:00 PM
Walther P88 is pretty neat - ambidextrous for us Southpaws too.

I've got a CZ85 I like also.

HK is good too, but mine is not ambi.

Averageman
August 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
I grew up on 1911's and I do trust myself to thumb that hammer down. I do own a H&K USPC and that thing works well, but gives me the willies everytime I use it.
Over the years I have seen more than a couple screwballs have a N.D. doing this with a 1911.

Auto426
August 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
I prefer Sigs's frame mounted decocker over the various slide mounted options. I also like the lack of a manual safety with the Sigs, since I personally feel that a DA/SA gun doesn't really need one.

Sheepdog1968
August 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
I like the one on my Sig because of where it is located and the way it feels. Having said that, I dont trust them and point in safe direction etc when I do it just in case the gun goes off. I treat all decockers this way.

Fishslayer
August 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
I voted SIG but S&W also offered frame mounted decockers w/out manual safety.

Second would be the Ruger "DC" P series. Slide mounted decocker only w/out manual safety.

My preference is for a decocker that cannot accidently slip onto "safe" without the owner's knowlege.

el Godfather
August 28, 2012, 02:19 AM
I like Sig Sauer decocker, but the reason i prefered the H&K usp one is because it has the safety as well in case i want to carry cocked and locked.

vaupet
August 28, 2012, 06:25 AM
I don't like the Sig-sauer decocker.
first imho is the H&K P7 system, followed by the H&K P30, wich is just a small button next to the hammer.

As to show i'm not biased: worst system is the H&K p9s, wich requires the shooter to perform two action, one of wich is to pull the trigger to decock:eek:

bannockburn
August 28, 2012, 06:44 AM
Not a big fan of DA/SA designs but for me the Sig Sauer decocker is probably the best arrangement out there. The one on the Taurus PT-92 is fairly practical as well. The ones I don't care for are the slide mounted controls that I have to shift my grip on the pistol in order to use them.

bikerdoc
August 28, 2012, 07:23 AM
Taurus 92 and CZ 75 BD

Robbins290
August 28, 2012, 07:29 AM
none. not a fan of sa/da handguns. I like carrying cocked and locked (1911, mustang and sig p238) my sa/da handguns are target pistols. and I don't use the decocker on them. but I would have to say. the sig p226 is handy to use.

Geordie
August 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
I relly like the decocker on my CZ 75

Litlman
August 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
3rd Gen S&W 6906. Mostly I use MY thumb. The decocker on my Maks, PPKS are next. I used to have a CZ 75 BD that worked well.

JTQ
August 28, 2012, 08:41 AM
Fishslayer wrote,
S&W also offered frame mounted decockers w/out manual safety.
What S&W model/models were offered with frame mounted decockers? I'm not familiar with those models.

Robbins290
August 28, 2012, 08:51 AM
I forgot to add. "if god wanted a decocker, the 1911 would have one"

Fiv3r
August 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
Decockers give me a case of the fits. I KNOW the gun shouldn't go off, but there is just something about working the action of a slide, watching the cartridge click up and load into the chamber, seeing the hammer lock back for a "killing blow", and then moving a lever to watch the hammer snap down hard. It's unnerving to me.

I have a P89 that I love to shoot, but I don't carry it because (1, it's a brick) I'm just not a fan of DA/SA pistols due to the DC and I really hate multiple pulls. I feel a lot better with a cock and lock set up like on a 1911 or with a striker fired pistol. I'm sure the DC is every bit as safe as the passive safeties on a striker fired gun, but at least I don't have SEE that hammer fall down:neener:

David E
August 28, 2012, 09:05 AM
What S&W model/models were offered with frame mounted decockers? I'm not familiar with those models.

In their 3rd Generation series with the 4 digit model numbers, if the 3rd digit is a "7", that denotes a frame mounted decocker. The short lived 10mm FBI issue gun, the 1076, is probably the best known, but there were a few others.

JTQ
August 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by JTQ
David E wrote,
In their 3rd Generation series with the 4 digit model numbers, if the 3rd digit is a "7", that denotes a frame mounted decocker. The short lived 10mm FBI issue gun, the 1076, is probably the best known, but there were a few others.
Thanks David for filling in my information gap. The 3rd Generation S&W's are in "my era" and I have a 4506, that I bought new when they came out, but I was unaware of the frame mounted decockers.

el Godfather
August 28, 2012, 10:24 AM
Never too late to make the saftey device a hammer lowering decice as well.

ForumSurfer
August 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
In my opinion and for me, the CZ 75 decocker only variants suit me best.

I want to keep it simple for repetition sake. Either give me a thumb safety (1911), no manual safety or decocker only with no safety.

I like it simple. If it decocks and reverts to a long DA pull then I don't need a separate, manual safety. If it is a decocker only, I want that decocker lever to not have much thumb shelf space and mounted so that my thumb won't accidentally ride it and decock it unintentionally.

On the CZ PCR I had, I actually removed material from it so that I would have very little chance of accidentally hitting the lever. It made it more difficult to activate, but that's how I prefer it when running it.

Fishbed77
August 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
I like the Walther P99AS decocker.

It's very elegant in design - just a smooth and snag-free push-button that is easy to operate with your thumb, and pretty much impossible to accidentally manipulate (since I am one of the folks that clings to the idea that a DA/SA pistol must always be pointed in a safe direction to de-cock, despite all the internal safeties).

Also, (perhaps irrationally, perhaps not) decocking a striker seems safer to me than decocking a hammer. Maybe it's just because I can't see a hammer slamming down. :)

1KPerDay
August 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
SIG, no question. Perfectly located, and the inertia of the hammer is absorbed by the your thumb as the decocking lever rises to its starting position.

H&K/Taurus next, though the thumbs-high position can inadvertently decock the gun.

Beretta type last. Horrible location IMO.

brnmuenchow
August 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
I love the decocker's on my Sig's.

EastKY_DO
August 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
I'm another fan of the Ruger decockers. It's a shame they don't make 'em anymore. I like the one Sig has but it's not easy to manipulate with the left hand and shooters w/ smaller hands / shorter thumbs cannot decock w/o repositioning their grip.

Mosbyranger
August 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
In my opinion I like the H&K decocking system. I also like the system on my Walther PPK/S.
MR

ATLDave
August 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm with the "my thumbs" crowd.

David E
August 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
You guys citing H&K decockers need to specify if it's the multi-function frame mounted one, or the push-button one at the rear of the slide left of the hammer.

Nuclear
August 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
HK P7 - all you have to do to de-cock it is to release the pressure on the squeeze cocking mechanism.

Mot45acp
August 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
I like the HK rear of slide push button.

Sergei Mosin
August 28, 2012, 10:57 PM
I like the Beretta 92 system because it doubles as a positive safety. Just wish it didn't work in the opposite direction of the safeties on my single-action pistols.

GLOOB
August 29, 2012, 02:35 AM
HK rear slide button is pretty slick.

floydster
August 29, 2012, 01:46 PM
CZ.

Yelovitz_503
August 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
I love the decock on my Sig. The Beretta isn't bad either (it's a lot like my Walther) but I think the Sig wins as far as ease of use and comfort goes.

el Godfather
August 29, 2012, 04:20 PM
David E
I like the usp type lever decocker with safty. Not the p2k or p30 type push button.

WardenWolf
August 29, 2012, 04:23 PM
My favorite style of safety / decocker? Pull down to fire, push up to safe / decock. In my opinion push to release safeties are retarded, and it blows my mind that so many are done this way. It's a totally unnatural and difficult motion to make, whereas pulling down with your thumb is quite easy.

JustinJ
August 29, 2012, 05:22 PM
I like the HKP2000 decocker. It is an individual tab at the back of the slide. The P2000, however has no safety which kind of sucks as the option of carrying cocked is not available.

CZ57
August 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
CZ. When you decock, the hammer goes to half-cock making the first DA shot a very short stroke of the trigger.;)

*NOVA*
August 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
"CZ. When you decock, the hammer goes to half-cock making the first DA shot a very short stroke of the trigger."

Exactly! The CZ75 BD will be my next gun purchase and will be my EDC. Condition 1 and safe.

Fishslayer
August 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks David for filling in my information gap. The 3rd Generation S&W's are in "my era" and I have a 4506, that I bought new when they came out, but I was unaware of the frame mounted decockers.

There is a 4576. The one I saw is 4566 size with the frame mounted decocker. According to the post I saw they made just less than 1400 of 'em.

I have a 4536 with 3.5" barrel & frame mounted decocker. I've been told they made about 600 of these. I paid a stupid amount of $$$ for it.:uhoh:

No idea why S&W didn't pursue these more. It seems like a really good system and SIG's popularity would indicate that people would buy 'em.

Deaf Smith
August 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
Makrov decocker.

Why?

Cause to fire you just flip the decocker DOWN, like a 1911, and flip it UP to drop the hammer (like putting a 1911's safety on.)

Deaf

David E
August 30, 2012, 12:06 AM
Glock.

To render it completely safe, simply take your finger off the trigger. This allows the striker to return to the "almost-ready-to-fire-but-not-quite" position.

One_Jackal
August 30, 2012, 10:40 AM
I don't like the idea of a safety on a pistol. Since you are stuck with a safety of some fashion on a SA/DA I prefer the ambidextrous safety on the Ruger. I can usually get the de-cocker to the fire position before I get the pistol out of the holster, even when I get fumble fingered.

rodinal220
August 30, 2012, 12:14 PM
SIG

jim243
August 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
I forgot to add. "if god wanted a decocker, the 1911 would have one"

Now that's funny (LOL).

I voted Other, two that come to mind that are better than the Sig or H&K are:

CZ 75 P-01 (Decocker only)

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/SAM_0501.jpg

FNH-USA FNP-40 USG (up for safety, center for fire, down for decocker)

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_1495.jpg

Jim

golden
August 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
As far as I am concerned, if you want a decocker, then the one on the SIG pistols is the best. I have used it on the 225, 226, 229, 230 and 232. It is simply the best decocker for me.
That being said, I really prefer a DOUBLE ACTION ONLY style of operation.

Jim

VAPOPO
August 31, 2012, 12:35 AM
My vote goes to the 1911. The trigger is the smoothest most positive hammer decocker out there. :D

lechiffre
August 31, 2012, 05:52 AM
Other

HK P7

Rexster
August 31, 2012, 11:41 AM
Other; I prefer "self-decocking" DA pistols. This means DA-only, or a rough equivalent. If there is a hammer, it follows the slide down. Glocks and such hybrid systems can mimic this effect, even though there is no hammer.

Actually, I have no personal need for my pistol to be de-cocked while loaded, and a 1911 is fine. (I started handgunning in 1982 or 1983 with a 1911.) My employer no longer allows single-action-only primary duty pistols. Glocks, the S&W M&P, and SIG P226 and P229 are allowed, and the SIGs can be decocker or DAK. When I had to stop using 1911 pistols for duty, I used Glocks for over two years, then went with SIG DAK in 2004. (We buy our own duty firearms, as is normal in this region.)

I have owned decocker pistols, and trained to a fairly high level during 1991-1993, when I carried a SIG P220 on and off the clock.

Marlin 45 carbine
August 31, 2012, 12:16 PM
3rd Gen S&W and Makarov

The Lone Haranguer
September 1, 2012, 01:03 PM
I voted "other," namely the CZ75D.

http://fototime.com/830E1279A8EABC3/standard.jpg

The decocking lever is at the upper rear of the frame where a thumb safety is typically located. It is easy to reach with my thumb (albeit right only) and drops the hammer in a controlled manner to a "one-third cock" position (shown), making the double-action pull length shorter. In second place is the Sig Sauer frame-mounted, third is the slide-mounted (mine were S&W Third Generation, but the priniciple is the same as the Beretta shown), and not even in the running is the Walther's bizarre button-like device on top of the slide. I don't have experience with the H&K type.

Red Cent
September 1, 2012, 01:29 PM
I am not a decocker fan aka SA/DA. Not much experience either. My 39 and 59is about as simple as it gets. Slide mounted steel bar rolls in front of the hammer covering firing pin. Feel quite safe using it.

BTW, you can mod them to be carried C & L.

Cocked & Locked
September 1, 2012, 01:44 PM
I like the SIG de-cocker the best. Not saying it is THE BEST...just that I like it better than the rest.

I really prefer DAO pistols though. :scrutiny:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/392216138.jpg

allaroundhunter
September 1, 2012, 01:53 PM
I love Sigs decocker. It is instinctual, and more ergonomic than any other that I have used. The ability to control the speed of the hammer drop is also a nice feature for those who don't completely trust the mechanism to drop the hammer quickly without discharging a round.

Red Cent
September 1, 2012, 01:56 PM
Cocked and Locked that prefers DAO?:cool:

MtnSpur
September 1, 2012, 01:59 PM
SIG....tho I instinctively point muzzle down and use left thumb on hammer cause nothing mechanical is fail proof :)

Cocked & Locked
September 1, 2012, 02:05 PM
Cocked and Locked that prefers DAO?:cool:

sometimes....:D

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/9381895/373123963.jpg

Ehtereon11B
September 1, 2012, 11:23 PM
Walther P99 has the best decocker for me. I have long thumbs so I can easily reach it without moving my grip too much. SIG decockers feel too "squishy" for me. Probably because I am so used to the Walther design.

I really like HK decockers as well. One of the many models of the USP is still on my dream list.

Cocked & Locked
September 1, 2012, 11:30 PM
:scrutiny:SIG decockers feel too "squishy" for me

You describe them well. They do feel "squishy"

ChCx2744
September 2, 2012, 12:50 AM
I think the best decock is the one with just the decock and no safety. The HK USP has the safety and decock and I don't like that. The Beretta offers some models that have decock only and I think that works better. Less confusion for those who can't retain the reflex as well.

Shmackey
September 2, 2012, 01:24 AM
I like the system where one isn't required. It's only needed on DA/SA pistols, and I am not a fan of multiple trigger pulls on the same firearm.
This.

TrueTexan
September 2, 2012, 08:09 PM
Sig above all the rest.

Racinbob
September 3, 2012, 08:11 AM
I voted 'other' because I love the S&W 3rd Gen set up. But...that's because I'm used to them. I've shot Sigs and like their system but I'm not sure if I'll like the positioning of the controls (again, because of what I'm used to) I guess I'll find out though. I just purchased a near mint German Sig P228 with a factory installed SRT, E2 conversion and short reach trigger. All the original parts are included as well as some other goodies. I'll have to wait a week or two to get is since I can't mail the payment until tomorrow.

joecil
September 3, 2012, 08:52 AM
I like the one on my Taurus 92 even over the Beretta 92 as it is down on the frame not the slide.

1-1 Banger
September 3, 2012, 09:09 AM
Glock, 'nuff said. Don't want it to go off? Keep your booger hook off the bang bang switch:neener:

PabloJ
September 3, 2012, 09:25 AM
The 3rd gen S&Ws with ambi or right hand only (value line guns) frame mounted safety/d-cocker are the best value for the money in this category. The Sig will have better trigger and accuracy but for 2x more cash if in equivalent condition that is not better value imo.

9mmforMe
September 5, 2012, 12:16 AM
Ruger P95, ambidextrous, easy to manipulate. They did away with the decock only model which is a shame in my opinion, now its a decock into safe position.

Okiegunner
September 6, 2012, 12:15 AM
el Godfather,

Man you do like some polls!!

I own both a Sig 2340 (decocker only, no safety) and a Beretta 92 series platform.

As for this particular poll, I personally lean towards the Beretta.

Reason: On most (not 92G) 92s the decocker also acts as a defacto safety. To the best of my knowledge, not so with the Sigs. At least not with the 2340, 2309, or the 2022 poly pistols.

el Godfather
September 6, 2012, 01:32 AM
Okiegunner
What about H&K decock that has option to turn into safety or just decock? I like the safety option but not default upon decock.

TAKtical
September 6, 2012, 01:58 AM
My finger is the only decocker ive ever needed

iblong
September 6, 2012, 05:22 PM
Im in the CZ decocker only camp.pcr,P-01 ect.

el Godfather
September 6, 2012, 06:29 PM
so many sig votes
beginning to wonder

Deaf Smith
September 6, 2012, 07:29 PM
Best De-cocker..

My thumb. All you have to do is thumb back the hammer just a bit, pull the trigger, lower the hammer just a bit more, and then let go of the trigger (remember, trigger NOT hammer) and then lower the hammer all the way.

Worked fine for me over 40 years.

Deaf

allaroundhunter
September 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
so many sig votes
beginning to wonder

People like either a TDA gun, or a SAO gun. Trying to fit both into one package does not appeal to most.

What is there to wonder about?

Sent from my HTC One X

savanahsdad
September 7, 2012, 10:13 PM
KJB Russian Makarvo 9X18, I guess that would fall under OTHER :neener:

guyfromohio
September 7, 2012, 10:13 PM
Love that Sig decock. I like it so much that I fund myself trying to decock all of my guns.

murf
September 7, 2012, 11:15 PM
tuner1911 got it right. my thumb.

murf

el Godfather
September 8, 2012, 01:58 AM
Allroundhunter

...that the number of people who have experience with H&K pistols.

HKGuns
September 8, 2012, 08:21 AM
I've used both Sig and HK.

I guess all of the Sig voters have never used the HK de-cocker that is far more ergonomic than the long travel Sig de-cocker. While the Sig is a decent example, the travel required to de-cock is far longer than that of the HK which makes it slower. Also, the Sig de-cocker is far easier to miss with your thumb while the HK is not.

2wheels
September 8, 2012, 05:14 PM
Interesting, rationalizing the results of the poll by assuming most people who like Sigs have never fired an HK... Maybe many people don't want/need safeties on DA/SA guns? Maybe while some people like the ability to carry their HK cocked and locked, the vast majority of potential buyers could care less about that option? But who knows? Guess someone could start a poll to find out.

I've used the HK decocker, though I haven't put nearly as many rounds through HKs as I have Sigs.

My experience is that the Sig decocker is out of the way when I don't need it (firing, reloading, etc.) and easy to access when I do need it (reholstering). It's everything you need and nothing you don't in a DA/SA gun. Never missed it with my thumb and if you're a fraction of a second faster decocking your HK... Good for you...

As for the HK decocker/safety, aside from the fact that it does something I don't need it to do (function as a safety and allowed cocked+locked carry)... It has nothing over the Sig setup.

5-SHOTS
September 8, 2012, 05:33 PM
For me the best decockers are the ones on Walther P99 AS, HK P2000 and P30 V3 and CZ 75D because they are in smart and unobstrusive positions. I'm not a fan of decockers that works also as a safety like Beretta 92FS or similar. For me after decocking the gun has to be ready to fire without any further action.

oneounceload
September 8, 2012, 06:40 PM
Either the Walther PP or the HK P7 get my nod for best decocker/safety (yes the P7 is a striker-fired, but it is unique)

GBExpat
September 8, 2012, 09:25 PM
I have never been able get myself to trust a mechanical decocker ... I always have to ease the hammer down with my thumb.

rule303
September 8, 2012, 09:32 PM
To me, it is the one thing that Taurus got absolutely right. The PT92/99/100/101 has the safety/decocker in the perfect location, and seems intuitive to most shooters. Sig runs a close second, but the reach to the decock lever is a stretch, and the travel is a bit long.

David E
September 8, 2012, 09:44 PM
The Taurus and HKs decock in mid string if you're used to a high thumb grip. :eek:

jon_in_wv
December 10, 2012, 12:56 AM
I vote for the decker/safety on the Taurus 92. It allows you to place the pistol on safe or fully decock and place on safe. Its also ambidextrous which is why I place it above the Sigs which is also good but also lacks the option of a safety.

Fastcast
December 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
Beretta 84FS....Not at all like 92FS that so many dislike.

84FS is frame mounted, ambidextrous, perfect ergos, swipe up for partial decock/safe, swipe down to fire......If the 92FS had the same setup I'd own one.

nightal
December 10, 2012, 12:13 PM
Since I own several Ruger pistols, I like them, because that's what I am used to.

wally
December 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
I think the best DA/SA decocking system was on the Beretta 9000S -- up for cocked and locked "safe" then up past safe to decock. Eliminates the USP potential problem of decocking when taking it off safe carrying cocked and locked.

I believe the system on the USP was first on the Taurus PT92, I know I have one from the late 80's with it. Like on the USP, the weakness is if you are carrying cocked and locked you can decock under recoil if you let your thumb ride the safety as 1911 shooters often tend to do.

But overall I'm of the opinion already stated than no decocker is best -- I just can't stand the DA/SA transition.

jon_in_wv
December 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
It certainly take a little more practice to master the DA/SA transition but trigger control and sight picture are important with any weapon. If you have good techniques the DA pistol with a decocker and safety has its merits. SAO and striker fired weapons are more forgiving of poor technique or trigger control but DA is also quite easy to master while allowing a little more security and safety (debatable I know). Recently I've been gravitating from my M&P 9C to a S&W 3913 as my EDC. The 3913 is a superb carry gun regardless of its trigger system. If a good trigger is the only factor to determine what is best then we can all stop at the 1911 and forget the rest. But in reality any weapon is a total system and the trigger is just on part of that system. There are many superb pistols with DA/SA triggers and decockers that you would really be shorting yourself by not giving them a chance. Of those systems, which is really the topic at hand, I like the ergonomics and function of the Taurus best. Its not perfect, as some have stated, but its in a great position and easier to use than the slide mounted safeties, its intuitive, and versatile since you can use the safety and decocker separately. I used to like the decocker of the Sigs but they are a little bulky, its not very handy left handed, and without the safety function it loses a lot of its utility to me.

golden
December 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
I have used most of the systems listed and think the SIG system is the best. I really like to shoot the WALTHER P99, but I do not normally use the decocker button.

With the SIG pistols, I feel the hammer dropper is the most natural for me.

Jim

9mmforMe
December 12, 2012, 10:12 PM
Ruger P95PR15 Decocker...like the single action needed and how it returns to normal position after decocked.

Keeterbird
December 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
I love the CZ75 BD. Also have a P95 Ruger with decocker and am very comfortable. Have several CZ52 and that is really a bad, bad setup.

Kymasabe
December 15, 2012, 12:02 AM
Sigs is pretty nice but my favorite is the one on my S&W Chiefs Special 9mm CS9. Safety and decocker in one lever, left side of the slide only (non-ambi).

MTMilitiaman
December 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
I am a cocked and locked kinda guy. I don't own one yet but I've been handling a bunch of CZs and I like their system, especially their new Omega system whereby the user can choose between DA/SA with a safety, or DA/SA with a decocker. This system doesn't put it all in one control--if you run a safety you can carry cocked and locked but have no decocker--but that's okay because CZ rightly assumes that if you are interested in cocked and locked carry, you don't really give a rat's wet fart about a decocker.

IMO, SAO is best. A decent DAO trigger or similar is okay. I don't mind the trigger on my Glocks. If it is going to be a DA/SA, it has to be capable of being carried cocked and locked for me to even consider. I'll never understand you guys with your decockers. It's like people who wear their pants half way down their behind...some fads I will just never understand. I wear my pants on my waste with a belt, and I think two different trigger pulls on the same firearm is B.S, and it's bad for you.

Walt Sherrill
December 15, 2012, 10:03 AM
Seems as though any gun with decocker that ALSO has a firing pin block -- and most newer guns do -- is equally safe. (And if safety isn't the issue, what IS the issue?)

I find that MOST of the ones that serve as a safety AND decocker can cause problems -- not in function but, under pressure/stress, in the mind of the user.

WC145
December 15, 2012, 10:14 AM
I haven't read through all the posts but, IMO, the best system out there is the one on my FNP45 Tactical - it works as a safety and a decocker, I can carry the gun hammer down (DA/SA) safety on or off or cocked and locked, plus I can rack the slide with the safety on. It's the best of all worlds.

jon_in_wv
December 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
I don't mind the trigger on my Glocks. If it is going to be a DA/SA, it has to be capable of being carried cocked and locked for me to even consider. I'll never understand you guys with your decockers.

So you think a Glock is ok in spite of the fact it doesn't have a SAO trigger? Well it just so happens there are many other fine weapons that just so happen to have a DA/SA trigger with a decocker. I think my M&P9C is a great pistol and I love the trigger but by 3913 is slimmer, easier to carry, and shoots great. You honestly think it makes more sense to just ignore that because it doesn't have a SAO trigger? The DA/SA trigger is only a small thing to master and there are a ton of really great pistols that have them. If you are too close minded to appreciate them it doesn't mean the rest of us are just punks with our pants down around our butts. The CZ, Berettas, S&W 3rd Gens, Sigs, etc....have endured for a lot of years I wouldn't call them a fad that only mature people like yourself have outgrown.

jon_in_wv
December 15, 2012, 10:23 AM
Did anyone mention the decocker on the H&K P7? A SAO with a decocker. If nothing else, its innovative.

777TRUTH
December 15, 2012, 10:25 PM
For striker fired Walther.

There are many for hammer fired but I am partial to CZ.

SageMonkey
December 16, 2012, 03:15 AM
another vote for the CZ

ForumSurfer
December 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
I changed my opinion after running 500 rounds through a CPO Sig p226. I like that decocker much better than the CZ I had. The new short reset trigger is also one of the best out of the box triggers I've ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meanmrmustard
December 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
another vote for the CZ
Count me in.

gp911
December 28, 2012, 11:36 PM
Mexican carry + accidental discharge = decocker

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 29, 2012, 04:00 AM
CZ75B, your thumb is the decocker. :D

meanmrmustard
December 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
Mexican carry + accidental discharge = decocker

Thanks, I'll be here all week.
Priceless.

U-235
December 29, 2012, 08:30 PM
I like the de-cocker on my P-226. It is out of the way, easy to manipulated and it only does one thing. I don't like the combined safety/de-cocker on my PPK.

Robbins290
December 29, 2012, 08:52 PM
Agree u-235

45crittergitter
December 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
I'm not familiar with many specific makers' systems, but I have a Taurus that I like that is striker fired, can be carried cocked and locked, cocked and unlocked (don't do that), uncocked and locked, or uncocked and unlocked. When fired, it remains cocked. The safety lever on the left side of the frame, goes down for fire, up for safe, and farther up to decock. Pretty much covers all the options.

*NOVA*
January 25, 2013, 05:31 PM
"CZ. When you decock, the hammer goes to half-cock making the first DA shot a very short stroke of the trigger."

Exactly! The CZ75 BD will be my next gun purchase and will be my EDC. Condition 1 and safe.
My CZ75 Police finally arrived at my LGS (shipped from Bud's) two weeks ago and my son and I took it to the range last weekend. Sweet shooting piece, I gotta say! I added the OEM's rubber grip pads, but nothing else. Shot Winchester white box ammo and was getting some tight groups.

Anyway, the BD Police is a full size pistol but not too big for me as my Concealed Carry, OWB, under a jacket, condition 1, decocked.

And I really like the decocker. It has a firm solid mechanical feel to it as you engage it to lower the hammer in a smooth controlled movement.

Once the decoker has done its job, the trigger weight in double action is no big deal for me. I figure it will not be noticed in a real self defense scenario.

Very pleased with this gun. Looks good and shoots great!

hak
January 25, 2013, 11:51 PM
"My own thumb. I trust myself more than any mechanical gizmo. Even when I handle a pistol with a decock lever, I still get control of the hammer before I use it."

they're not mutually exclusive. i lower using my usp or p30s decocker while also easing it down - the key in using a decocker is your finger is never on the trigger.

OP, i chose 'other' - the p30s one at the back i like more than my usp one, since it's ambi. i've never decocked my usp by accident, and the downward sweep I like. having it at the rear is nice too.

el Godfather
January 26, 2013, 12:49 AM
Hak... interesting thought- I have seen a couple of times guys de-cocking USP by accident upon firing.

NOVO... Decocking to half cock in CZ is unique in itself.

psyopspec
January 26, 2013, 01:19 AM
I voted "Other" for the best one being the non-existent. However, if I had to have a DA/SA, I've never had an unsafe experience from using the decocker on an HK, SIG, or Beretta. All work well for their intended (yet unnecessary) purpose.

tjd78z
January 26, 2013, 01:28 AM
Voted other, I like my FNH FNX 40.

TennJed
January 26, 2013, 01:44 AM
I am in the minority, but I like the slide mounted. Some really nice guns were made with it. 3rd gen S&Ws, Makarov, Beretta 92, 84,87, storm, desert eagle line, Ruger P series

el Godfather
January 26, 2013, 12:01 PM
TennJed any particular advantage you see in slide mounted?

TennJed
January 26, 2013, 12:46 PM
TennJed any particular advantage you see in slide mounted?

I don't know if you would call it an advantage, just maybe a preference. I got a S&W 5906 a long time as one of my first semi auto. I also am a big fan of makarovs because of the history and sheer toughness of the gun. I then happened to fall in love with the looks and quality of the Beretta 84. I guess I just happen to get and like guns that have it. A lot of people say you do it backwards because you push it up to take the safety off, but I figure most of those people are used to 1911s and such.

I have guns with other designs (1911, CZ, ect) but I have a soft spot for lots of guns that happen to have slide mounted

If you enjoyed reading about "Best decock in your opinion." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!